Image Image Image Image

Tony LaRussa

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Tony LaRussa 

Post#1 » by transplant » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:38 pm

My initial reaction was NFW, but my view has moderated some. Despite the fact that I'm 66 years old, being honest, my initial reaction was at least in part ageist. LaRussa's 76 years old and I have to admit that this is a lot older than I want as my manager.

This said, I have a serious problem with those who claim that LaRussa would have a problem with embracing the elevated status of analytics in the game. I find this the height of irony. La Russa was the first successful MLB manager to pour over computer printouts before each game. He wasn't simply a user of analytics, he was a pioneer at developing baseball analytics. He knew what he didn't know but wanted to know and worked with the computer geeks to develop reports that would make him a smarter manager. I now view LaRussa as a legit out-of-the-box candidate.

My biggest problem with LaRussa is that he hasn't managed in over a decade. Yes, he's stayed involved in the game, but can he successfully relate to today's players?

I think I'd still rather have AJ Hinch, but I'd be OK with LaRussa.
Edit: I made my post before LaRussa was given the job. I still don't think that, in a vacuum, LaRussa is an outrageous choice, but I do have a problem with his selection. From the press conference, it was clear to me that LaRussa was not who GM Rick Hahn wanted for the manager's job. Hahn should have been able to pick his manager.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Re: Tony LaRussa 

Post#2 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:46 pm

Agree on Hahn being able to pick his guy. Larussa made me cringe when it was first announced but... it might be a so crazy it just might work thing. Baseball is still baseball. Trends define eras and some people can on,y play in an era. Tony might be just the guy to buck a trend and find success. Maybe not but it is what it is so here is hoping against hope that it works out.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,124

Re: Tony LaRussa 

Post#3 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:46 pm

transplant wrote:My initial reaction was NFW, but my view has moderated some. Despite the fact that I'm 66 years old, being honest, my initial reaction was at least in part ageist. LaRussa's 76 years old and I have to admit that this is a lot older than I want as my manager.

This said, I have a serious problem with those who claim that LaRussa would have a problem with embracing the elevated status of analytics in the game. I find this the height of irony. La Russa was the first successful MLB manager to pour over computer printouts before each game. He wasn't simply a user of analytics, he was a pioneer at developing baseball analytics. He knew what he didn't know but wanted to know and worked with the computer geeks to develop reports that would make him a smarter manager. I now view LaRussa as a legit out-of-the-box candidate.

My biggest problem with LaRussa is that he hasn't managed in over a decade. Yes, he's stayed involved in the game, but can he successfully relate to today's players?

I think I'd still rather have AJ Hinch, but I'd be OK with LaRussa.
Edit: I made my post before LaRussa was given the job. I still don't think that, in a vacuum, LaRussa is an outrageous choice, but I do have a problem with his selection. From the press conference, it was clear to me that LaRussa was not who GM Rick Hahn wanted for the manager's job. Hahn should have been able to pick his manager.

re:bold

Apparently not lol.

Is there a better white Sox forum?

Return to Chicago White Sox