Image Image Image Image

Things I'd like to see after 2012 All Star

Postbro1
Lead Assistant
And1: 20

Things I'd like to see after 2012 All Star 

Post#1 » by Postbro1 » Mon Jul 9, 2012 4:22 am

The Sox have been playing some beautiful ball this last couple of weeks as we go into All Star week. The Youklis move has been a Godsend and the first half overall is more than I'm sure any Sox fan could have even dreamed of. I'll admit that I would have been alright if we were sitting where Detroit currently is.

But there are a couple of things that I would like to see happen. One will be harder to pull of and the other is a simple,common sense thing:

1) This will be the hard thing to pull off because we will have to give up something in order to get something. I doubt we will be able to pull off a steal but we really do need some veteran help in the bullpen. All though they have been serviceable, I don't think we can rely on a pen full of youngsters in a pennant race. As the pressure rises I can just imagine them cracking under the pressure and there needs to be someone other than Thornton, who I really don't trust with anything less than a 3 run lead, and Jessie Crain, who hasn't been the most reliable either.

2) Adam Dunn to the 5th or 6th position in batting order. We just can't continue to have our #3 hitter not put the ball in play more than 50% of the time. I'm not talking about getting a hit. But just put the ball in play. Sacrifice flies. Hit the ball to get the man on 2nd to 3rd. Those kinds of things. Make the fielders make the plays. I'm not impressed with his walks either. I want the #3 hitter to hit the ball and be able to grind it out and battle. Rios is a monster right now and if he were in the 3 hole I have no doubt we would score more.
Superior nadsmanship since 31 May 2001
DaveMeyers
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Re: Things I'd like to see after 2012 All Star 

Post#2 » by DaveMeyers » Mon Jul 9, 2012 2:56 pm

The bullpen does need some help going forward, although I do put some trust in Reed. The 3 hole should be reserved for someone with power, and I don't see Rios as that guy. But Rios would put put the ball in play more, as you said. For me, the spot is a toss up between Pierzynski and Rios. In the end I would probably go with Rios, but I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers fall down.
Postbro1
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Postbro1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:48 am

How about we move Paulie to the 3 hole then? Maybe they would have to come to him a little more in that spot. He might also might not have to find himself dealing with batting with 2 outs a lot. Maybe he could be in a position to bat with 1 out and a man on 2nd instead of 2 outs after Dunn strikes out looking or something completely out of the zone.
DaveMeyers
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#4 » by DaveMeyers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Paulie has always been the Sox clean up man. I'm sure he prefers to stay in that spot. But if the Sox want to stay on top they need to do something with the 3 hole. Konerko could be another option, but Rios still looks pretty good in that spot.

Some things that I'd like to see after the All-Star break:

1. Improved play from Gordon Beckham. Beckham is a good fielder, but a dissapointing hitter. But so far he has been hitting the best since his rookie year. I hope he keeps improving. Having an extra solid bat near the bottom of the order will be a help for the Sox in their playoff push.

2. Viciedo and De Aza staying strong. These guys have been exceeding my expectations as rookies and if they can handle the pressure as we move towards the end of the season, I really like the our chances in the playoffs.
Postbro1
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Postbro1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:07 am

I think Paulie up to 3 and Rios into 4 is the way to go.

I agree on your other 2 points. If we can get some more percentage points out of Beckham's bat it would go a long way towards getting our top of the order guys back up to the plate.

Viciedo would be so much more dangerous if he learned to cut down on his swing when he has 2 strikes. Hopefully watching Youkilis grind out ABs like he did in the 14th inning tonight will help Viciedo, and the other Sox, learn that how to keep an AB alive.

De Aza is worrying me a bit as he seems to have gotten over-anxious lately because he hasn't been hitting that well. But I do like how he has battled in the late innings.

I'm also pretty happy with the way the youngsters pitched against KC tonight. But we still have got to make a strong move to get bullpen help.
Superior nadsmanship since 31 May 2001

Return to Chicago White Sox