Image Image Image Image

Sox sign Linebrink

SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Sox sign Linebrink 

Post#1 » by SportsWorld » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:49 am

Rotoworld:
The White Sox and Scott Linebrink have agreed to a four-year, $19 million deal, ESPN 1000 in Chicago is reporting.
Sort of a bad break for the Brewers, as they'll have to settle for a second-rounder to go along with their supplemental first-round pick. As horrible as their pen beyond Bobby Jenks was last season, it figured that the White Sox would bring in one of the top free-agent setup men this winter. This may add some fuel to the rumor that the White Sox will trade Jenks for a center fielder -- Melky Cabrera has been mentioned -- but we doubt that will happen. Linebrink figures to give up a lot of homers moving to the AL Central and U.S. Cellular Field. Still, he'll be a durable and fairly reliable setup man, likely for the life of the deal.

Good move IMO.
BestintheEast
Junior
And1: 66

Post#2 » by BestintheEast » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:28 pm

great move.....but i thought the whole point of weakening our starting rotation was so we could go out and get Tori Hunter? Now that Kenny missed the boat with that signing what the fcuk are we going to get for a outfielder and starting pitcher...............fcuk Chicago sport this year!!!nothing but huge letdowns
<

....Brooks your a trout
natedog125
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by natedog125 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:50 pm

Very good deal. At least were trying to make some noise. Gotta like that Kenny doesnt sit on his butt
BestintheEast
Junior
And1: 66

Re: Sox sign Linebrink 

Post#4 » by BestintheEast » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:02 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Rotoworld:
The White Sox and Scott Linebrink have agreed to a four-year, $19 million deal, ESPN 1000 in Chicago is reporting.
Sort of a bad break for the Brewers, as they'll have to settle for a second-rounder to go along with their supplemental first-round pick. As horrible as their pen beyond Bobby Jenks was last season, it figured that the White Sox would bring in one of the top free-agent setup men this winter. This may add some fuel to the rumor that the White Sox will trade Jenks for a center fielder -- Melky Cabrera has been mentioned -- but we doubt that will happen. Linebrink figures to give up a lot of homers moving to the AL Central and U.S. Cellular Field. Still, he'll be a durable and fairly reliable setup man, likely for the life of the deal.

Good move IMO.

I did not read this blurb from Rotoworld till just now, but if Kenny Williams even thinks of trading Jenks he should immediatly be fired!!!! i thought we traded Garland so we could free up money and land Hunter, but now that Hunter is an Angel, KW better eith go get Rowand or Andruw Jones
<

....Brooks your a trout
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#5 » by Shootdabull » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:17 pm

I'm disappointed - the hype is Hunter and results are Linebrink. The pen was bad last year so this will help. I'm waiting to see what else Kenny comes up with.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#6 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Dec 5, 2007 3:50 am

You people genuinely like this move? It's 19 million dollars for a guy who will put up a 4.50 ERA in Chicago's bandbox.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#7 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Dec 5, 2007 2:59 pm

Not to mention he's a Type A free agent, I do believe so you lose two picks for signing him.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Dec 6, 2007 5:51 am

Good point, though they only lose one pick, a second-rounder. The Padres get this pick and the supplemental round pick.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#9 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 6, 2007 5:52 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Good point, though they only lose one pick, a second-rounder. The Brewers get this pick and the supplemental round pick.

Fixed.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Dec 6, 2007 5:56 am

My bad. You think Inman and others for a future second and a supplemental was a good deal?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#11 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 6, 2007 6:42 am

Yeah at the time. I wanted Thatcher on the team but whatever, Inman is a finesse guy who really struggled in his promotion to AA and the same goes for Garrison who is down in A+ ball still.

So yeah I'm fine with it. We still have Jack Zduriencik as our scouting director and I trust him to make good draft picks. It sucks that we only get 2nd round picks for Linebrink and Coco but we were able to nab Gallardo in the 2nd round a few years ago.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#12 » by SportsWorld » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:16 am

Bleeding Green wrote:You people genuinely like this move? It's 19 million dollars for a guy who will put up a 4.50 ERA in Chicago's bandbox.

Linebrink is an upgrade over the crap they have in the pen. They have Jenks and a bunch of scrubs.

Return to Chicago White Sox