Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Hairston Reinjurs Hammy 

Post#1 » by el loco » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:54 pm

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, August 03, 2008

WASHINGTON — When the Cincinnati Reds traded Ken Griffey Jr. to the Chicago White Sox, they needed a quick outfield fix, so they rushed Jerry Hairston Jr. back from rehab and into the lineup Friday, Aug. 1.

It was a short stay. One game.

About three steps out of the batter's box on a ground ball to the pitcher in the eighth inning, Hairston began limping. Then when he chased a fly ball in left-center field and a triple into right-center field, he limped noticeably on his injured hamstring.

So he wasn't in Saturday's lineup and probably won't be in today's.

"Usually when they say they're OK, you give 'em a couple of more days, and it's still taking a chance," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "He says his legs feel a little weak. We can rest him the next two days and we'll see how he is. If he's not OK, we'll have to make a decision. We hate to waste that (disabled list) time."

Said Hairston, "It doesn't feel as bad as it did when I hurt it. I tried to take it easy during the three days I was in Louisville (on rehab). I'm hoping it's more fatigue than pain. We just have to be more cautious now. The game plan is day by day. Sometimes you take four or five steps forward, one back, then you go forward again, and it gets better."

Baker said Hairston told him he was ready, "But I was a little shocked when I saw him chase that ball in the outfield. He only had one ball out there, the ball in left-center. I didn't see him limp in batting practice or anything since he got back. Just in the game, which is what I was afraid of."

Return to Cincinnati Reds