el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Reds reach agreement with Hernandez 

Post#1 » by el loco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:06 am

New deal brings catcher back to Cincinnati for one year
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Only a few days ago, reports said the Reds were preparing to slash payroll, prompting speculation a salary dump might be near.

That concern could be somewhat premature in light of Monday's transaction. The Reds have brought back primary catcher Ramon Hernandez after he was re-signed to a one-year, $3 million contract with a vesting option for 2011.

The vesting option, worth $3.25 million, will become guaranteed if Hernandez appears in 120 games next season. Seeking a cheaper deal, Cincinnati had already decided to not pick up Hernandez's $8.5 million club option and chose to give him the $1 million buyout.

"He was a priority for us this winter," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Monday. "He's familiar with the club and our pitching staff. We're confident his knee has recovered. He and [Ryan] Hanigan, we feel, are a good tandem, catching-wise."

Hernandez's agent, Eric Goldschmidt, worked on the deal with the Reds over the weekend and he told the 33-year-old catcher that it was completed on Sunday night.

"It's a good place with great players," Hernandez said of the Reds from his home in Miami. "I know they'll do very good next season. That's why I decided to come back."

Acquired last winter from the Orioles in a trade for utility player Ryan Freel and two prospects, Hernandez batted .258 with five home runs and 37 RBIs in 81 games during his first season with the Reds.

On July 21, Hernandez had arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left knee and missed 57 games. He also made 21 starts in place of Joey Votto at first base. Hernandez was not surprised when his option wasn't picked up.

"I expected it to happen," he said. "Hopefully, next year, they'll see Ramon Hernandez play the whole year."

Hernandez continues to rehabilitate his knee during workouts four times a week in South Florida.

The decision to bring Hernandez back means that Hanigan will return to his backup role. Hanigan received significant playing time while Hernandez was injured or playing first base.

The Rest of the Article can be read by clicking on the link:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=cin
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Reds reach agreement with Hernandez 

Post#2 » by el loco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:11 am

A little more information about the Reds from the Article:

"It was important," Jocketty said. "He provides that veteran experience along with Scott Rolen and Arthur Rhodes. Our younger club needs veteran influence."

Jocketty wasn't ready to say that the Reds were looking to trim the payroll.

"We really don't know yet," Jocketty said. "The final budget won't be done until December and then we'll have a better idea once season ticket sales come in. It may have to come down some but it's too early to say. I have to approach that way but if it's not [that way], we'll have a nice surplus."

When asked directly, Jocketty said he wasn't trying to trade Phillips.

"All of that stuff was speculation by a number of different writers," Jocketty said. "They see that our attendance is down and so that must mean our payroll will go down. We were grouped in with clubs that are reducing payroll but we're not in that position and hopefully won't be."
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by el loco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 am

Man, I hope they don't trade Phillips. I also hope that they resign Jonny Gomes, he was a nice surprise for the Reds last year.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by el loco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:15 am

I thought Hanigan filled in nicely while Ramon was out. Don't get me wrong, I like Ramon, but I think I might have looked to spend that money elsewhere.

Return to Cincinnati Reds