LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

May 31-June 3, Detroit Tigers series 

Post#1 » by LoveThemCavs » Thu May 31, 2007 3:31 am

Image(30-22) at Image(32-19)

Thursday, May 31---------------- 7:05pm
Probable Pitchers-
Justin Verlander, RHP (5-1, 2.71) vs C.C. Sabathia, LHP (7-1, 3.54)

Scouting Report:
Tigers: Verlander admittedly didn't have his best stuff, but he still left with a 3-2 lead in his start on Saturday against the Indians. He exited after six innings and 105 pitches, watching as the bullpen couldn't hold onto the lead in a 6-3 loss. Verlander would like to get later into games and said the easiest way to decrease his pitch count is to cut down his walks. He walked four against the Indians and will again oppose C.C. Sabathia in the opener of a four-game series.

Indians: Sabathia was effective in victory against the Tigers on Saturday and gets another chance in this rematch with Justin Verlander, which serves as the opener of a four-game series. Sabathia walked just one -- the second-to-last batter he faced -- and gave up six hits and three runs over seven innings in the 6-3 win. The runs Sabathia did give up came on a broken-bat home run, a double-play groundout and a sacrifice fly.

Friday, June 1---------------------- 7:05pm
Mike Maroth, LHP (3-2, 5.04) vs Fausto Carmona, RHP (6-1, 2.89)

Scouting Report:
Tigers: Take away one inning, and Maroth may have had one of his best outings this season in his last start. Maroth gave up four runs in the first inning of a 5-3 loss to the Indians on Sunday, but little else after that. He yielded just two hits after the first, and pitched eight innings on 107 pitches. He walked five, but managed to get late into the game thanks to three double plays.

Indians: Carmona gave the Indians seven hard innings of work Sunday against the Tigers. He gave up three runs on nine hits with two walks and three strikeouts and had to work himself out of several perilous jams, en route to his sixth victory of the season. Carmona has learned to command his mid-90s sinker for the duration of a start, and it's helped him become something of an MVP to an Indians team that could have skidded after the losses of Cliff Lee and Jake Westbrook to early-season injuries. His spot in the rotation now seems secure.

Saturday, June 2------------------- 7:05pm
Chad Durbin, RHP (4-1, 4.39) vs Cliff Lee, LHP (2-2, 5.86)

Scouting Report:
Tigers: Durbin is looking more and more at home with his starter's role, and he showed it on Monday night when he held the Rays to one earned run on three hits over six innings. He didn't have overpowering stuff -- tallying just one strikeout -- but he befuddled Tampa Bay enough for the Tigers to take the lead. He was left with no decision, though, as the 'pen gave up the lead in the ninth. Durbin is 3-3 with an 8.07 ERA in six career starts against Cleveland.

Indians: Lee was cruising early in his outing against the Red Sox on Monday. He needed just 38 pitches to retire nine of the first 11 batters he faced. But a 38-pitch fourth inning brought out all the problems that have plagued Lee since his return from the disabled list. He was inefficient, and he lacked command of his fastball. Because of that inning, he ended up lasting just five innings, giving up three runs on six hits with a pair of walks and four strikeouts. Since shutting out the Angels on May 8, Lee has compiled a 7.53 ERA in four starts.

Sunday, June 3-------------------- 1:05pm
Jeremy Bonderman, RHP (4-0, 3.34) vs Jeremy Sowers, LHP (1-5, 6.29)

Scouting Report:
Tigers: It didn't seem possible, but Bonderman improved his control from his last start to both lower his ERA and keep his record unblemished. The right-hander showed pinpoint control in a win against the Rays on Tuesday. He walked none, fanned eight and allowed a single earned run. Tampa Bay hit him just four times in the contest, as he retired the first eight hitters he faced, and 10 of the first 11. He left with one out in the seventh inning to a standing ovation. Bonderman, who'll get last crack at Cleveland in the series finale Sunday, is 6-9 with a 6.29 ERA in 19 career games against the Indians.

Indians: Sowers? time in the Tribe rotation might be running out, as Jake Westbrook is on track to return to the rotation by the middle of the month. But Sowers is finally beginning to look like his old self. His last start saw him give up four runs on six hits over 5 2/3 innings. He gave up a pair of solo home runs but did a much better job commanding the strike zone and working in his changeup, which he used to get groundball outs. He still has improvements to make in terms of controlling a ballgame, but he?s on the right track after a month and a half of difficulty.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#2 » by LoveThemCavs » Thu May 31, 2007 11:19 pm

Pronk with the two run bomb to straight away center in the first inning. :clap:
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#3 » by LoveThemCavs » Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 pm

Craig Monroe hit a HR for the Tigers in the top of the second. I know everyones all about the Cavs tonight. But you guys missed a WOW WOWOWOWOW catch by Grady if you aren't watching.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#4 » by B Mac » Thu May 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Can you say webgem of the year? :o

Damn that Grady guy is good.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#5 » by LoveThemCavs » Thu May 31, 2007 11:52 pm

Yikes CC has lost it this inning. Just needs to get out of this one and let the bats get up. I know Verlander is good, but just like CC. These two offense can light anyone up.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#6 » by Icness » Fri Jun 1, 2007 4:14 pm

That catch by Sizemore was spectacular!
Very nice win. Detroit has a ton of injuries and the Tribe must capitalize right now.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by B Mac » Fri Jun 1, 2007 4:16 pm

Great win last night. Hard to believe how overshadowed this game was, because that Grady catch was flat out jaw dropping. Hopefully we can pull of another win tonight and put even more room between us and them.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#8 » by L&H_05 » Sat Jun 2, 2007 12:39 am

How we let a bum like Craig Monroe actually do anything against us is ridiculous...
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#9 » by L&H_05 » Sat Jun 2, 2007 2:41 am

Beat Detroit once more... *YAWN*
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#10 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Jun 2, 2007 2:42 am

Ha ha ha, I love it. The Indians with the miracle comeback to win 12-11.

I don't want Detroit to ever win a game against us. Pistons or Tigers.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by B Mac » Sat Jun 2, 2007 5:04 am

I was out watching the game at a "local establishment"... The people there were really pumped about the win tonight. Indians are starting to get the casual fans interested in their games again. It only makes sense tho since we have one of the best teams in the league afterall. Anyway, it was great to beat up Detroit again, and to do it with 5 in the 9th felt great. Oh and Sheffield got himself suspended for 3 games too. :)
GreenDemon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#12 » by GreenDemon » Sat Jun 2, 2007 5:53 am

That game was 1995-esque. :)

I starting to wondering if we are just going to go 78-4 at home cause I really am not sure if it possible for us to lose again at the Jake. I just had a feeling that once Victor hit that HR we were going to win.

Now with Hafner even starting to come around we are becoming even more dangerous on offense. I thought we were going to be good this year but I didnt realize we were going to be doing this good thus far.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by B Mac » Sun Jun 3, 2007 10:27 pm

Stoopid Tigres.

Return to Cleveland Indians