LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

June 15-17, Atlanta Braves series 

Post#1 » by LoveThemCavs » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:46 pm

Image(35-32) at Image(39-26)

Dimensions: Image

Friday, June 15------------------- 7:05pm
Buddy Carlyle, RHP (1-1, 4.91) vs C.C. Sabathia, LHP (9-1, 3.09)

Scouting Report:
Braves: Carlyle performed admirably in his last start, which followed the best of his career. Though he didn't earn the win, Carlyle allowed four runs through 6 1/3 innings against the Cubs. During his previous start, Carlyle allowed one hit over seven innings to the Marlins for his first Major League win since September 1999. After his outing against Florida, Carlyle was sent back to Triple-A Richmond, where he spent much of the first two months of the season. When Lance Cormier had a recurrence of his right triceps injury, however, Carlyle was recalled to take his spot in the rotation.

Indians: Sabathia was brilliant against the Reds on Sunday, but he was on his own. He pitched nine shutout innings and came out with nothing more than a no-decision, as he received no run support. He allowed just three hits and one walk in the outing, while striking out six. Sabathia has been in command of his fastball and slider all season, and he comes into this start riding an 18-inning scoreless streak. He hasn't lost in his past six starts, and he's solidifying himself as a bona fide candidate to start the All-Star Game for the American League.

Saturday, June 16-------------------- 3:55pm
John Smoltz, RHP (7-3, 2.83) vs Paul Byrd, RHP (6-2, 4.50)

Scouting Report:
Braves: Smoltz, who has started just once since tweaking his right shoulder during a May 29 start, has decided to wait an additional day and make his return to the mound on Saturday. The 40 year-old right-hander has allowed two earned runs or fewer in seven of his past eight starts. His only career appearance at Jacobs Field resulted in one of the worst postseason performances of his career. During Game 3 of the 1995 World Series, he allowed four earned runs in just 2 1/3 innings.

Indians: Byrd endured his worst outing the season on Monday against the Mariners. The right-hander was battered for seven runs on 11 hits over just four innings. For Byrd, who has been one of the Tribe's most reliable and consistent pitchers this year, the outing was the first time this year he could not make it through at least six innings. It was also just the fourth time in his career that he had given up 11 hits, a result of Byrd perpetually working high in the strike zone. In 12 career outings against the Braves, Byrd is 2-4 with a 4.79 ERA.

Sunday, June 17--------------------- 1:05pm
Kyle Davies, RHP (3-5, 5.70) vs Fausto Carmona, RHP (7-2, 3.17)

Scouting Report:
Braves: Davies retired 10 straight batters before surrendering five runs in the fourth inning against the Twins on Tuesday night. He lasted just 3 2/3 innings, marking the third time in his past six starts that he has not completed at least five innings. It has been a roller coaster season for the 23 year-old right-hander, who has mixed flashes of brilliance with reminders that he is still a young pitcher. He's won twice in his past five starts and in both of those outings, he's lasted at least seven innings and surrendered just one run.

Indians: Carmona threw one of his most brilliant games of the season in his last start...and was rewarded with his first loss in 11 starts. Carmona breezed through six innings against the Marlins, allowing only a pair of infield hits while striking out six. But he ran into trouble in the seventh, loading the bases with no outs and then surrendering a three-run double to Miguel Olivo that was the deciding hit in a 3-0 Cleveland loss. Still, Carmona has allowed three runs or fewer in all but two appearances this season, and the Indians are 8-2 the last 10 times he's taken the mound for them.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#2 » by LoveThemCavs » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Rematch of the '95 World Series. We have our best three pitches this season on the mound, so I think we should take 2 of these games. Smoltz will likely win the middle game against Byrd. Tribe has been playin .500 ball for the past week and a half. Time to get hot again and get a little distance on the Tigers. The Twins also have quietly kept within distance and only 5 games out.
GreenDemon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by GreenDemon » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:12 pm

Tough game last night Blake has been on a roll lately and gave us the HR to go ahead in the bottom of the eigth and then we lose the game in the top of the ninth. I know people wanted to see C.C. close out the game but I just founded it to be a questionable decision to keep him in the game. We should have just gone to Borowski or even another bullpen arm to clos out the game.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#4 » by LoveThemCavs » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:35 pm

Yea I agree with you GreenDemon. CC did a good job getting us into the 9th, but he was well over 100 pitches. Not only that, it was obvious he didn't have his best stuff last night. He had multiple innings where he worked real hard just to do damage control. I would have let Borowski try and close it out. Though I admit I'm not a big fan of Borowski. Casey is just tearing it up on his 24 game hitting streak. Grady is starting to get hot too. Hafner seems like the one guy that can't put it all together right now.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#5 » by B Mac » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:31 pm

I hate the Braves. I hate everything about them. I hate the Jones brothers, I hate Rentaria, I hate Smoltz, I hate their manager, I hate that dumbass pitching coach that rocks all game long, I hate hate hate them.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#6 » by B Mac » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:32 pm

Oh but I still like Wicky.

Return to Cleveland Indians