ImageImageImageImage

how do you guys feel about the team's name?

koolkobe
Freshman
And1: 0

how do you guys feel about the team's name? 

Post#1 » by koolkobe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:19 pm

hey, im a new member. from the nba section and im doing a report on Native Americans and the Stereotypes of Sport Mascots. and I wanted the reaction of the fans on this topic. Is the name of this team offensive? Or is it just a team name in honor of the tribes that used to settle here. What's your opinion, i would like to know. I hope i dont get flamed or anybody else get flamed. this topic is kind of touchy. DISCUSS :D
koolkobe
Freshman

Re: how do you guys feel about the team's name? 

Post#2 » by koolkobe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:44 pm

anybody??

you can even put that you dont care about the issue

i just wanna see what you think about it
Furrski
Sophomore

Post#3 » by Furrski » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:25 pm

For myself, not being a Native American, I don't find it racist. Some people find the mere use of the word "Indian" to be in poor taste, let alone a red-faced logo. As a die hard fan, I don't see a problem with the name/logo. I did grow up and start to follow baseball with the mid 90's powerhouse, and as they moved into the spotlight, so did anti-'Indian' groups. That did make me think about how I would feel in their situation, and I honestly would not object (although clearly biased).

I see Chief Wahoo as a baseball-loving, funny little dude. I equate summer with hot dogs, Chief Wahoo's enormous grin (win or lose, he's really excited), and John Adams bangin on that drum in the bleachers. To change the name would be a shamockery, and the city and fans would have a ****.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#4 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 pm

I don't think that the name "Indians" is derogatory or offensive at all. Of course, I'm not native american either. That being said, I think that Chief Wahoo is incredibly racist depiction of Native Americans.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#5 » by Icness » Tue May 12, 2009 3:58 am

If the NFL team in our nation's capital is allowed to be a blatant ethnic slur, then I think anyone complaining about the Cleveland Indians needs their eyes opened.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Zebulon
Ballboy

Post#6 » by Zebulon » Mon Jul 6, 2009 2:21 am

I don't believe the term Indian is racist, nor do I think the logo is.
LarryMac
Ballboy

Post#7 » by LarryMac » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:43 pm

I've never had a problem with it, although I can understand people being offended by Chief Wahoo, I suppose. There's still a strong camp that will tell you that the name was meant to honor Native American Louis Sockalexis who played for the team at the turn of the century.

The Braves are the one that I don't get, in terms of people claiming that they're racist or derogatory. As a society, we are constantly harangued by people who say that we're too Euro-centric. Calling a team the Braves is essentially like calling them the Warriors, but using the native American - or non-European - term.

I'll concede that "Redskins" is racist, though.
Zebulon
Ballboy

Post#8 » by Zebulon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:02 pm

I see no problem with the name or logo. The name honors a Native American.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#9 » by Dirty Water » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Here's some food for thought. Contrary to the Cleveland Indians, would a team name like the Brooklyn Jews or New Mexico Latinos be acceptable?
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#10 » by B Mac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Dirty Water wrote:Here's some food for thought. Contrary to the Cleveland Indians, would a team name like the Brooklyn Jews or New Mexico Latinos be acceptable?

Fighting Irish?
There's a college near where I live who are the Fighting Scots?

The fact that the Indians were named in HONOR of a Native American player alone should be enough for people to drop this silly debate.

Return to Cleveland Indians