ImageImageImageImage

2011 Season Thread

TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: 2011 Season Thread 

Post#41 » by TSE » Fri May 20, 2011 3:28 pm

cochiseuofm wrote:
I know you don't know what it means... :lol: ...that is the point. You don't have a balanced view of the Tigers, you only see the bad. You refuse to acknowledge the good deals DD has made, only ever talking about the bad ones. You refuse to give credit to Leyland or DD for turning the team around in 2006. And you never acknowledge moments like Verlander's no-hitter which all MLB fans enjoy.

Do you even like watching baseball?

Yes I love watching baseball, I watch it religiously. And I don't see only the bad, you are wrong by making another ignorant assumption. Just cause I comment on internet boards only about the bad doesn't mean I don't see the good or acknowledge it. I compliment every good move by DD on boards when we make good moves if we do, but it's extremely rare that we do, in addition to irrelevant. A GM is supposed to make good moves as routine. When a baseball player makes a routine fielding play, you don't ask for a high intellect baseball man like myself to drop what I'm doing and go on the Internet and right about the routine play, because it is expected to be routine. The only GM moves that I ever talk about are the ones that are noteworthy and it's not my fault that DD doesn't know how to trigger good moves and only bad ones. Tell him to make a great deal and then I'll say finally a great deal from DD, I'm still waiting.

I'm not interested in a team that can make 5 trades where one is good, I want 5 out of 5 good trades, but more importantly I want a WS title and setup for future dominance. What good is acknowledging any of the good things this club does if we are still rendered unqualified as a team? We are an embarrassing disaster of incredibly incompetence. This team doesn't even sniff having the right to be patted on the back for miniscule organizational victories that are outclassed and buried by the far more powerful terrible mistakes they make. You have to get out of the red to start expecting profits or compliments.
TSE
Banned User

Post#42 » by TSE » Fri May 20, 2011 3:34 pm

RustInPeace wrote:It's sad how overly analytical people get over something like this. I'm pretty anal too about how idiotic DD and Leyland are, but it doesn't take a genius that can create mindless algebraic formulas to point that out.

I completely disagree.

My read is that potentially somewhere around 98% of the Detroit fans have an overvaluation of both Leyland and DD, and to me that is puzzling and disturbing. I used alternative ways to try and describe my perspective, because just saying DD and Leyland suck isn't enough or illustrative enough. I don't see everybody on this board getting it or seeing what these men are really worth, and so I'm trying to find some creative way to establish that and wake up more drones. Baseball is the most complex sport in the world, and to figure out what makes a good Manager or GM to me requires a genius intellect, I don't think a non-genius is capable of truly understanding the game of baseball on an intimate level. Sure you can know that runs are good and outs are bad, but you need to know the proportions of how those things are valued against each other and down to decimal points in order to figure out how to approach the game the best way. I believe that more than 95% of baseball fans don't understand the game at a qualified and respectable level imho. You have to be a genius to figure out most of the good hotly debated baseball questions.

Anyhow, what makes my equations mindless, and in what way do you dispute the logic of them? It's not appropriate to bash other people's ideas and make insensitive remarks when you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about or logical basis of contention to throw around lame disagreements of non-substance.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#43 » by ajaX82 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 am

Porcello with an absolute gem today. Starters continue to pitch out of their minds, bullpen (mostly) continues to suck
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by ajaX82 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 am

Charlie Furbush FTW. And I want a Furbush jersey...what a great name

I'm going to the TB game tomorrow night to see JV pitch. Tix are pretty cheap too, which is awesome. 14 bucks for lower level seats
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#45 » by kellmellus50 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 am

Tigers was winning 2-0 than rain out that figures,make up june -13th
TSE
Banned User

Post#46 » by TSE » Thu May 26, 2011 5:54 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:Tigers was winning 2-0 than rain out that figures,make up june -13th

It's just not our year. We still need to do trades too. This team annoys me standing pat.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#47 » by kellmellus50 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Ever since the tigers let polonco go they have been scrambling players in the infield tryng to make something work.And now to have Ryan Raburn starting at 2nd base this is pathetic, what a mess!!!
Your right the tigers need to trade more brefore the deadline.

Quote:DETROIT -- Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland is giving Ryan Raburn a fresh start.

Leyland said that Raburn would be the starting second baseman for the Tigers following a trade Friday that sent Scott Sizemore to Oakland for relief pitcher David Purcey.

“I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about it,” Leyland said late Friday night. “To me, Raburn's season starts tomorrow. Forget everything that's happened up to this point

(You can't forget his past strike outs he can't hit a softball,all he's going to do is strick out!!!)
Leland your in dream land again , Dumbrowski needs to trade for a 2nd baseman who can hit..

Raburn, who went 0 for 3 Friday while playing left field, is hitting .200 for the season, including a dismal .100 (5 for 50) in May. (Leland stop thinking he's the next derrick jeter)let's be real !!!
send him to the minors do not let him learn in the majors you can lose many games this season to learn what i already know..

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... start.html
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by ajaX82 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:42 pm

3rd inning of the game today and Raburn in Left has already made two terrible plays. He is one of the worst defensive outfielders I have ever seen. Put him at second and keep him there.....aargh!
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#49 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 2:27 am

Raburn also LOB 4 people another typical nite.was replaced by kelly in the later innings.
TSE
Banned User

Post#50 » by TSE » Wed Jun 1, 2011 5:02 pm

I was at last night's game. My dad and I got into a pretty heated debate just before Morneau hit his second home run. I wanted to pull Scherzer at that exact moment and bring in a LH pitcher. My dad argued to walk Morneau. It then got heated because I then said I'd rather let Scherzer pitch to him as an option before I would walk him. My dad was convinced he would hit a home run because he believes in baseball magic when it's convenient and my argument was that he represented the go-ahead run, and putting the go-ahead run on first base with a RH vs a RH next is far more dangerous than having the go-ahead run in the batting box with one less man on but with the LH/RH advantage. I happen to understand the stats and science very well to know that you always want a weaker hitter at the plate with the bonus man on base except in very unusual circumstances where the score doesn't require you to need that extra run or when the hitter quality has a huge gap which wasn't nearly the case this time.

Scherzer was right around 100 pitches, I forget the exact number, and the situation of the game basically was reduced to this situation with Morneau was basically make or break for the Twins. For all intents and purposes we win the game with getting that 1 out on him or Cuddyer, and for them to have any significant chance, a hit is required in this situation. So I wasn't going to stick with a tired pitcher and was going to make it a one at bat showdown between my best ready LHP to go for the win right there, and you don't have to worry about the following innings so much from there so you have flexibility with regard to your pitching decisions there. We didn't need to force Scherzer to eat up the rest of that inning, it just made no sense to me being that late in the game and him already having given up a homer to Morneau who was likely to be more dialed in to him than a new LH pitcher.

Anyhow, Leland stuck with Scherzer and then of course Morneau hits a homer and my dad is just laughing his ass off. That moment sucked and Leland set me up to eat some crow. arrrgh.

And Lamont blew another call again and sent Cabrera to his death. The throw wasn't even perfect and they still got him pretty easy. God I just wanted to rush the field and kick that guy's ass. He's soooo annoying.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#51 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 5:35 pm

in the 7inn i was yelling at leland to take scherzer out when Minn got 2 on base . Thats what we have releif pitching for.Leland does the same thing as sparky leaves the picher in too long by the time he takes him out we have lost the lead.Thats why i do not watch tiger games that much it just gets me upset.
Combs84
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#52 » by Combs84 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 8:29 pm

TSE, actually Miggy ran right through the Lamont sign to hold up. Past that Miggy was actually safe by the replay.
TSE
Banned User

Post#53 » by TSE » Wed Jun 1, 2011 11:38 pm

I didn't notice the stop sign if that's the case, so my bad in that regard. In that case then my complaint would shift to Lamont failing to figure out how to stop him from blowing past the stop sign, he has to find a way to make that clear and to appropriately urge the player to stop, and perhaps his long history of failed decisions has destroyed his credibility to get the players to respect his orders. Either way it's an unacceptable problem to me and as far as I'm concerned, Lamont has to make him stop or he has to accept failure for not making it happen or setting up a logical system of respecting and following orders.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jun 2, 2011 2:13 am

Cabby definitely blew through the stop. Rod even joked on the telecast that Miguel was going to get a ticket for blowing through a stop sign, which cracked me up for some reason.

As for Lamont, he isn't a very good basecoach but what did you want him to do? Short of tripping Miguel, he clearly conveyed that he shouldn't have been running. He did his job, Cabrera just didn't listen. Not Lamonts fault
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jun 2, 2011 6:01 pm

Porcello tossed another gem tonight. Before the season I thought he was the absolute key to the starting pitching and man has he delivered. He's going to be very good
TSE
Banned User

Post#56 » by TSE » Thu Jun 2, 2011 10:14 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Cabby definitely blew through the stop. Rod even joked on the telecast that Miguel was going to get a ticket for blowing through a stop sign, which cracked me up for some reason.

As for Lamont, he isn't a very good basecoach but what did you want him to do? Short of tripping Miguel, he clearly conveyed that he shouldn't have been running. He did his job, Cabrera just didn't listen. Not Lamonts fault

Maybe not build a reputation for being a complete idiot so that Cabrera would have respected him. Or been more demonstrative with his stop sign. One of the two, either way there's basecoaches for a reason, it's not inconceivable to get your players to follow your orders, but you have to earn their respect first otherwise they are going to do what Santiago did that one game not too long ago where he blew through it cause he knew he couldn't trust Lamont. Our players are forced to guess, because they are gambling with often bad odds in their favor when they choose to blindly do what Lamont says.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 am

God JV is a stud
RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#58 » by RustInPeace » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:21 am

JV for Cy Young!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:33 am

RustInPeace wrote:JV for Cy Young!

He may be the frontrunner in the AL right now. He is just so damn good
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by ajaX82 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:39 pm

Well Leyland actually did it and put Avila at third with no DH in Colorado....this should be interesting

Return to Detroit Tigers