ImageImageImageImage

Sheffield...

Muzzleshot
Rookie
And1: 2

Sheffield... 

Post#1 » by Muzzleshot » Sat Jul 7, 2007 12:16 pm

What a brilliant trade by Dombrowski.

GS leads the team in runs, hr's, steals and walks. Not to mention how he's helped Magglio by batting in front of him. If it wasn't for his terrible start in April he's probably on the all-star team.
Master Shake
General Manager

Post#2 » by Master Shake » Sun Jul 8, 2007 4:49 pm

Well, depending on what the prospects we traded for him become... but all in all, brilliant trade.

Gary is another veteran that has helped this club grow tremendously. Always been one of my favorite players in his younger years and I am very happy I got to see him play as a Tiger for once.

If we win the World Series this year, the Gary Sheffield trade will become compared to the Rasheed Wallace trade.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Muzzleshot
Rookie

Post#3 » by Muzzleshot » Mon Jul 9, 2007 12:16 pm

The Rasheed comparison is dead on.

Not only with what they brought in talent, but they have similiar personalities. They both brought with them a swagger that was much needed. Sheffield and Rasheed are the type of people you want on your side when you're going into a battle.

In past years I've always loved to watch GS bat, but I never had the apprecitation for what a smart ball player he is until this season. He's an absolute joy to watch. If he didn't get off to such a slow start in April he'd probably be getting some MVP consideration.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 pm

Humberto Sanchez- Tommy John Surgery

Kevin Whelan- Doing pretty good Double A, working on his control

Anthony Claggett- Hi A ball; 1-8, 4.83 ERA, opposing batting averge (.298).

Even if one does really good down the road for the Yankees....would you really care??
Master Shake
General Manager

Post#5 » by Master Shake » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:50 am

Looks like good ole Gary is about to stir up some more controversy in his latest HBO interview.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Train Wreck
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

Post#6 » by Train Wreck » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:36 am

Master Shake wrote:Looks like good ole Gary is about to stir up some more controversy in his latest HBO interview.

Yes he is... Oh well, he keeps hitting like this, let him say what he wants... :nod:
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#7 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Sep 5, 2007 2:00 am

I'd say it worked out pretty well for the Yankees too.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
Scrub Sura
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Scrub Sura » Fri Sep 7, 2007 10:47 pm

I'd feel the same way if my team had a $250 Million+ payroll and bought anyone they desired.

But it worked out great for Detroit as the only one of note they gave up was Whelan, and who's to say he'll do anything in the majors?

You would think the Yankees could have gotten a better package from someone else for a hitter like Sheffield.

Either, they were asking too much or just panicked.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#9 » by VinnyTheMick » Sat Sep 8, 2007 10:06 pm

Scrub Sura wrote:I'd feel the same way if my team had a $250 Million+ payroll and bought anyone they desired.

But it worked out great for Detroit as the only one of note they gave up was Whelan, and who's to say he'll do anything in the majors?

You would think the Yankees could have gotten a better package from someone else for a hitter like Sheffield.

Either, they were asking too much or just panicked.

A $250 payroll? 198 million actually. I know it is still a lot but c'mon let's be accurate if you are going to bash.

Buy anyone we want? Yes, we can buy like no one else but we have missed out on many players & made awful investments. Furthermore, a good portion of our team is from our farm system

starting rotation

Chien Ming Wang
Andy Pettitte
Phil Hughes
Ian Kennedy

relief

Mariano Rivera
Jaba Chamberlin
Edwar Ramirez
Darrell Rasner
Jose Veras

infield

Derek Jeter
Jorge Posada
Robinson Cano
Shelly Duncan
Andy Phillips

outfield

Melky Cabrera

15 of 33 players on our roster are from our system. Yes, we can spend more money than anyone but make no mistake about it, outside of A Rod everyone making significant contributions came from our farm system.

Could we have gotten more for Sheff? Probably. Cashman wanted the distraction that Sheff had become gone & saw Humberto & company as young arms that he could add to the stockpile of pitching prospects the Yankees were harvesting.

& make no mistake about it, Cashman never wanted Sheffield. Cashman & Torre have made it no secret that from day one they wanted Vlad but George loved Sheffield. So that probably added to Cashman's willingness to let Sheff go at any cost.

You guys got Sheff & he has done great for you. It is a shame he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Am I happy he is no longer in pinstripes? No question. Does my happiness somehow negate the postive impact he's made on your team? Not one bit.

Best of luck to you guys.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein

Return to Detroit Tigers