ImageImageImage

Velasquez optioned to AA

RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,113

Velasquez optioned to AA 

Post#1 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 2:45 pm

Not surprising because they had to make room for Fiers somehow and I guess he's the odd man out, but disappointing anyways because I'd like to see him get more opportunities at the big league level. He looked good last night out of the pen.

The Astros optioned rookie righthander Vince Velasquez to Class AA Corpus Christi after he threw 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief Saturday in the 9-2 victory over the Diamondbacks.

Velasquez will pitch out of the bullpen for the Hooks. He was sent down to make room on the roster for righthanded starter Mike Fiers, who will be activated Sunday.

“I just talked to Vince and it is out of a roster crunch more than anything,” manager A.J. Hinch said. “He’s one of our elite pitchers. He’s got really good stuff. He showed that tonight. I love the fact that he got to get into the game and we were able to use some innings for him before we sent him out.

“It could be a short stay; it could be a long stay. I’m not going to predict exactly what it is, but I sent down a major league pitcher tonight. He’s arriving as a pitcher and getting better and better, but with the roster we’re forced into a move we’re going to make.”

Should just cut someone useless(Carter) instead, but whatever. I have a feeling he'll be back soon enough.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.

Return to Houston Astros