ImageImageImage

Prospect Watch: Whitley, Tucker & more

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Prospect Watch: Whitley, Tucker & more 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Fri Nov 3, 2017 12:39 pm

The majority of the major talent of the Houston Astros comes from the farm system. The acquisition of talent over the dark years has led to a team led by homegrown talents like Altuve, Correa, Keuchel, Bregman & World Series MVP George Springer.

But there is more talent in the pipeline...

The Astros have a top pitching prospect in the 6'7" Forrest Whitley and a top ten everyday prospect in Kyle Tucker. They have guys like Frances Martes & the Good Derek Fisher looking for more time.

A lot of people wanted Jeff Luhnow to gut the farm to bring in Verlander, who was eventually acquired for a pretty penny, but he deftly held on to much of the talent the team acquired through the one, true "Process."

Who steps up next for the Astros? I expect Martes & Fisher to be on the roster at the start of next season. Maybe late season callups for Whitley & Tucker. Who knows, though...they could really impress early on. That seems to be the new Astros Way.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 1:27 pm

One area I'd like to see them focus on improving is the bullpen. I'd like to see us acquire a true closer to push Giles back to the set up role where I think he's a better fit. He just doesn't seem to have the mentality to be a closer, IMO.

I've seen some folks suggesting Morton assuming that role, which is intriguing. I think he'd be great there, assuming we have enough depth in the rotation to use him out of the pen instead. With Verlander/Keuchel/McCullers/McHugh/Peacock and other potential arms like Martes, I could see that being a possibility if they don't sign a top tier closer in FA.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.

Return to Houston Astros