ImageImageImage

Astros Off-Season

TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Astros Off-Season 

Post#1 » by TMU » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:54 am

Definitely need an upgrade in the bullpen. What other changes would you like to see?
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Re: Astros Off-Season 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Not many holes to fill other than strengthening the pen. If they can land an elite level closer to push Giles back to the 8th or 7th that would be the top priority IMO.

The lineup is still pretty much set, with Beltran retiring I reckon Gattis now becomes pretty much the full time DH with someone like White probably getting some time there, and the rest of the lineup solid. They're also set defensively with Marisnick coming back and Fisher probably being the 4th outfielder.

Having Verlander to start the season is a nice bonus as well, the rotation looks solid with him/Keuchel/Lance/McHugh/Morton and guys like Peacock/Martes as a 6th starter/long reliever.

Then of course we got guys like Whitley who might make his way up at some point, and Tucker in the OF. The team is in really good shape moving forward. I am with you, the bullpen is really the main priority and if they can add a couple arms to improve that area they will be set.

Already can't wait for spring training!
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#3 » by TMU » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Obviously, I don't know much about the Astros farm situation. Wade Davis is probably a long shot, but worth considering.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#4 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:02 pm

I forgot about Marwin, somehow. Shame on me.

Obviously he will be the starting LF with Springer and Reddick in center/right and then Marisnick being the 4th OF, but of course he will play all around as needed like he always has. I expect Fisher to get some time out there as well though until Tucker is ready, and Kemp is also another guy to watch.

Maybin is a FA so I don't expect him to be back when we have those other guys, but being a veteran player with great speed I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him return if the price is low. Would rather see Fisher/Kemp get time to develop until it's Tucker time.

The infield is set, not thrilled with the depth at catcher behind McCann(Gattis should only DH IMO) but all the other spots are covered.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#5 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 pm

TMU wrote:Obviously, I don't know much about the Astros farm situation. Wade Davis is probably a long shot, but worth considering.

That's one of the names I've seen being tossed around, but I guess it comes down to how much they're willing to spend in comparison to the big boys in LA/Boston/NY etc.

I've seen some folks suggest Morton being a good late relief option, and he definitely showed his ability to do that in the postseason, but we need his arm in that rotation a lot more IMO.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#6 » by TMU » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:14 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
TMU wrote:Obviously, I don't know much about the Astros farm situation. Wade Davis is probably a long shot, but worth considering.

That's one of the names I've seen being tossed around, but I guess it comes down to how much they're willing to spend in comparison to the big boys in LA/Boston/NY etc.

I've seen some folks suggest Morton being a good late relief option, and he definitely showed his ability to do that in the postseason, but we need his arm in that rotation a lot more IMO.

Yeah, Morton was pretty solid this postseason. If he can be fully transitioned into that role, the Astros could go big and chase after Big Jake Arrieta. :o

I wish the Mets offseason could be as exciting as others. The Evil Wilpons are always trying cutback payrolls and our prospects are always overrated by the media and fans.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#7 » by TMU » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Oh, and can you imagine what Stanton could do with the Stros surrounded by these aggressive bat, high motor offense?
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#8 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Stanton would be an amazing addition, no doubt. That would make what was already an incredible lineup just damn near unstoppable.

I'd rather they focus on pitching though, and I don't see that move happening. That's a pretty big contract and we'd no doubt have to include some of our top guys(Whitley/Tucker) to get it done, not to mention we will have to extend Altuve/Springer/Correa/Keuchel etc in the not too distant future, and retaining that core of guys that have gotten us this far is a big priority IMO. I guess it just depends on how much they are really willing to spend and if they think he can really help us that much more than being able to keep this current group of players together + our top prospects.

I for one really want to see Altuve/Springer/Correa/Bregman locked up for the long term. I damn sure do not want to see any of them, starting with Altuve, retire in another uniform. It's going to be difficult to afford to keep all of them, and adding Stanton and his contract would make that even more difficult. Maybe it would be worth it, I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.

I guess the good thing is, they won the whole **** thing, and are still in great shape both in terms of the current roster and the talent waiting in the wings, and also have the ability to increase the payroll to continue being competitive for the foreseeable future.

TL;DR version: We won the whole **** thing, and are in a great place moving forward, so it's all just gravy now baby...just gravy.

:wink:
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#9 » by TMU » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:08 pm

So, the Yankees need more help. :lol:
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#10 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:18 pm

Doesn't worry me, they had to do something to try and compete with the World Champion Astros.

;)
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#11 » by TMU » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Why wouldn't the Stankees stop at Stanton and not get Machado? They clearly need more help. :wizard:
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#12 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:43 am

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/source-astros-reach-a-deal-with-joe-smith/c-263492844

The side-arming Smith, 33, split last season between the Blue Jays and Indians, posting a 3.33 ERA in 59 games. He struck out 71 batters and walked 10 in 54 innings. An 11-year veteran, Smith has a career 44-28 record with a 2.97 ERA in 698 career appearances with the Indians, Angels, Mets, Cubs and Jays.

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow departed the Meetings on Wednesday afternoon confident his club was on the verge of landing some bullpen help, which turned out to be Smith. He adds quality depth to the back end of the Astros bullpen, joining closer Ken Giles and former All-Stars Will Harris and Chris Devenski.

"We've been focusing on pitching, primarily on the reliever side, but always keeping in mind there might be a potential to bring in another starter and reconfigure our bullpen by having one or more of our starters be in the bullpen," Luhnow said.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#13 » by TMU » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:32 am

Great move. Joe Smith was an important member of the Mets bullpen many years back. He's been steady and consistent for the most part. Of course the Mets traded him for someone who they thought was better and backfired. :banghead:
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#14 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:51 am

BOOM SPLASH.

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-land-gerrit-cole-in-trade-with-pirates/c-264677578

HOUSTON -- The team with the deepest lineup in baseball may now lay claim to the deepest pitching rotation.

Less than a week after owner Jim Crane said the Astros were pursuing a high-end starter, the defending World Series-champion Astros reached a deal to acquire hard-throwing right-hander Gerrit Cole in a trade with the Pirates on Saturday. The Astros will send pitchers Joe Musgrove and Michael Feliz, infielder Colin Moran, Houston's No. 5 prospect, and Minor League outfielder Jason Martin, Houston's No. 15 prospect, to the Pirates.

Cole, 27, was the Pirates' first-round Draft pick in 2011 (No. 1 overall) out of UCLA. An All-Star who won 19 games in 2015, Cole went 12-12 with a 4.26 ERA in 33 starts last year for the 75-win Pirates, allowing 55 walks and 31 homers while striking out 196 batters in 203 innings. He's 59-42 with a 3.50 ERA in 127 big league starts.

He'll join a rotation that includes former Cy Young Award winners Justin Verlander and Dallas Keuchel, All-Star Lance McCullers Jr. and World Series hero Charlie Morton. The Astros acquired Verlander on Aug. 31 last year and now have him and Cole under contract for two more seasons.

Sad to see Moran and Musgrove go, but this looks like a damn good move to add more strength to that rotation and it allows Peacock to slide into the Musgrove role out of the pen(along with Martes, I'd assume), and they did it without giving up either Tucker/Whitley/Fisher or any other guys I was worried they'd move for him.

Not bad, Sir Luhnow, not bad at all.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#15 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:51 am

Read on Twitter
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#16 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:54 am

Welp:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

And even more interesting:

Read on Twitter

Obviously what matters most here is that this means we potentially won't get to see him in an Astros uniform this year or in the postseason, NOOOOO!!!

Also his health and well being and hoping he makes good decisions as he matures etc etc blah blah blah, that too.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#17 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 am

The Astros drafted Whitley out of Alamo Heights High School in San Antonio with the 17th pick of the 2016 draft and gave him a bonus worth $3.148 million.

Whitley captured national attention for being one of the few pitchers ever to vault to Class AA in his first full minor-league season in 2017. He struck out 143 batters in 921⁄3 innings, which set expectations that he would reach Class AAA and have a small chance to join the defending World Series champions in the majors this season.

He will participate in spring training and stay at the West Palm Beach complex during his suspension. He could return May 29 to the Corpus Christi Hooks for their 51st game.

Whitley said "I made a mistake and take full responsibility for my actions" in a statement issued through his agent, Matt Laird, to MLB.com.

Luhnow said the Astros are "disappointed" but supports MLB's drug program. He would not discuss specifics about the failed drug test, such as whether the 20-year-old used recreational or performance-enhancing drugs. MLB tends to divulge which PEDs are responsible for player suspensions and avoid mentions of recreational substances. MLB did not detail use of PEDs in a news release about Whitley's suspension.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-optimistic-50-game-suspension-will-not-12630930.php
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#18 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Tucker is going to be a stud, holy crap this team is loaded!:

Read on Twitter
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#19 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 pm

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/justin-verlander-astros-extension

By signing former AL MVP Award-winning second baseman Jose Altuve to a five-year, $151 million contract last year and locking up Bregman for the next six seasons, the Astros’ four star homegrown players are all under contract for at least the next two years. Outfielder George Springer will be a free agent after 2020, and shortstop Carlos Correa will follow in '21. Outfielders Michael Brantley and Josh Reddick, as well as first baseman Yuli Gurriel, are also locked up for the next two years.

Pressly and former All-Star closer Roberto Osuna, both of whom were acquired in Deadline trades, are under contract through 2021.

That means the Astros, who still have one of the game’s deepest farm systems, are built to win now and into the future. They won the World Series in 2017 only four seasons after losing 111 games, and owner Jim Crane is spending big-time money to keep the club's key players in Houston

Man, I am super excited about this upcoming season and I can't wait for it to get started!

Signing Bregman/Verlander/Pressly to extensions makes me very happy. Now the majority of the team is locked in for the next several years(I expect Cole will most likely be gone after this season unfortunately) and they still have so many good arms in the system(obviously Whitley) and will have Lance coming back next year...gotta wear shades!

I love what this organization has been doing, Luhnow and his staff have done an excellent job.

Return to Houston Astros