Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

The Houston Astro Season Preview and Prediction Thread 

Post#1 » by Vator » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:40 pm

ESPN: Astro Preview and Predictions
FIXED
One of his new teammates has dubbed Carlos Lee "7-Eleven" because "his mouth is always open." No doubt the $100M free agent brings energy and enthusiasm. More important, he provides what the Astros really need: a banger to protect Lance Berkman in the lineup. "But Carlos is more than just a slugger," says Phil Garner. "He makes contact. We got hurt so many times last season because we couldn't put the ball in play." If Morgan Ensberg rebounds, Houston's 3-4-5 will be among the best in the league.

NEEDS FIXING
With the lumbering Lee in left field and converted 2B Chris Burke in center, Houston's outfield defense won't rank among the best. Minute Maid's left field is minute, so Lee's D won't hurt too much at home, but for help on the road he'll look to Burke, who has played outfield sparingly. "In left, I used to look over at the center fielder for help," Burke says. "Now I'm the center fielder. And if I don't get to a ball, I'll wonder, 'Should I have caught that? Does Carlos Beltran make that play?' " The answer is probably yes.

MIDSEASON FIX
"I wouldn't say I'm Babe Ruth, but I do feel I can hit anything right now." -- OF prospect Hunter Pence, after Burke said Pence was hitting like The Bambino in spring camp.
-- Tim Kurkjian

FoxSports: Roster Report
LF Carlos Lee, the Astros' $100 million free agent slugger, looked very good this spring. 3B Morgan Ensberg, RF Jason Lane and RF Luke Scott also played well. CF Chris Burke struggled at the plate horrendously, but he looked decent defensively as he prepared for the transition to playing center full-time.

The Astros were relatively healthy this spring, except for the loss of prospect Hector Gimenez, who hoped to fight for the backup catcher's job. Gimenez had season-ending right shoulder surgery. The key will be for the rotation to step up at the back end.

The rotation is top-heavy, but there are serious, serious questions at the bottom because RHP Chris Sampson, RHP Brian Moehler, Rodriguez and Nieve haven't been very impressive late in camp. There is some very good talent at Triple-A Round Rock, so the young pitchers must step up early if they want to keep their jobs.

FoxSports: Biggio's Quest for 3,000
Second baseman Craig Biggio, the Astros' franchise icon, is only 70 hits away from becoming just the 27th player in major league history to collect 3,000 hits.

There are many reasons why he wants to reach that special plateau, but the biggest four reasons reside in West University. That's where you'll find Biggio's wife of 17 years, Patty, and their three children, Conor, 14, Cavan, 11, and Quinn.
When Biggio began his march toward 3,000 in 1988 as a rookie, he could never have envisioned all the sacrifices he would make. Looking back, however, he hasn't been the only one who has paid a price since he collected his first hit on June 29, 1988, against the Los Angeles Dodgers' Orel Hershiser, the eventual National League Cy Young Award winner that season.

FoxSports: Notes and Quotes
--RHP Matt Albers and Fernando Nieve, backup infielder Eric Bruntlett and catcher Eric Munson were the final four players sent to the minors. Albers, Nieve and Bruntlett were optioned to Triple-A Round Rock. Munson, who isn't on the 40-man roster, was reassigned to Round Rock.

"A difficult day, but I'm not the guy that has to go down," manager Phil Garner said. "We huddle. We make the decisions, and the good news is that it was tough decisions. That means guys played well and guys did their jobs. In all of our cases, we like our personnel. I like the pitchers that we sent down. I love Bruntlett and Munson.

Yahoo: MLB Predictions

SI: Astros Preview/Scouting Report
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

Post#2 » by Vator » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:32 pm

25 Man Roster:

SP:
- Roy Oswalt, RHP
- Jason Jennings, RHP
- Woody Williams, RHP
- Wandy Rodriguez, LHP
- Chris Sampson, RHP

RP:
Brad Lidge, RHP, closer
Dan Wheeler, RHP, set up guy, assistant closer
Chad Qualls, RHP, 7th inning guy
Rick White, RHP
Dave Borkowski, RHP, long man
Brian Moehler, RHP
Trever Miller. LHP

Catcher:
Brad Ausmus, RH
Humberto Quintero, RH

IF:
Lance Berkman, SH, 1B (maybe a little RF if necessary)
Craig Biggio, RH, 2B
Adam Everett, RH, SS
Morgan Ensberg, RH, 3B
Mike Lamb, LH (1st, 3B)
Mark Loretta, RH (2B, SS, 3B)

OF:
Carlos Lee, RH, LF
Chris Burke, RH, CF (and a little 2B, if needed)
Luke Scott, RF
Jason Lane, RH,RF, CF, maybe LF if necessary
Orlando Palmeiro, LH PH, can play RF, CF, LF
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#3 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:50 pm

Oh god, not just Wandy but Miller too?

ARGH.

Other than that I like the roster, I really like the addition of Loretta. We should have some good bench guys with him, Lane, Lamb, and Palmeiro.

My biggest concerns are OF defense(CF and LF mainly), Brad Lidge, and the fact that Wandy is horrible.

But every team has issues in some area or another, so I truly believe we will be able to compete all season. Our rotation OVERALL is decent, we should have a pretty solid bullpen, an improved lineup that should be more consistant and efficient, and an overall decent defense(mainly in the IF).

I can't wait to see Biggio get to 3,000 also! GO ASTROS!
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#4 » by Baller 24 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:13 pm

I hate Everett, yeah, yeah, his defense is good an all, he had decent numbers last yr except for his avg, but they minute he starts sucking they better throw in there Loretta.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#5 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:40 pm

nsballer07 wrote:I hate Everett, yeah, yeah, his defense is good an all, he had decent numbers last yr except for his avg, but they minute he starts sucking they better throw in there Loretta.

He does alot better hitting in the 2nd spot, as he should be now that we have Lee and a healthy Ensberg, plus Scott/Burke at the bottom of the lineup.
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#6 » by Baller 24 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:50 pm

The thing I like about Ensberg is that he has done good ever odd yr, and lets hope history repeats itself for his stats this yr too.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#7 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:56 pm

nsballer07 wrote:The thing I like about Ensberg is that he has done good ever odd yr, and lets hope history repeats itself for his stats this yr too.

Well that and he's healthy, remember he started off great last year until he hurt his shoulder and wasn't the same the rest of the season.

I truly believe Lane will play better too when he gets time.
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#8 » by Baller 24 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:27 am

Yeah I rmr that he went like 6 games in a row with at least one home run in a game.

Return to Houston Astros