And1: 71

Re: The 2017 POSTSEASON thread. 

Post#21 » by Takes5 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 11:09 am

My guess:
Pitchers (12)
SPs -
Kershaw, Hill, Darvish, Wood
RPs -
Jansen (closer), Morrow/Watson (set ups), Avilan/Baez/Cingrani/Fields (short), Maeda (long)

Fielders (13)
C Grandal, Barnes, Farmer
IF Bellinger, Utley, Seager, Turner, Forsythe
OF Taylor, Puig, Hernandez, Granderson, Ethier

I took Farmer because it allows the extra flexibly of using Barnes in a pinch hit role, at 2B, or even in pinch run role (he's pretty fast and then you don't need to carry a guy just to PR). Farmer's an extra righty bat off the bench, also a multiple position guy and a fairly good hitter so far.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Avilan Unavailable for NLDS 

Post#22 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:39 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

TBS Home of 2017 National League Playoffs 

Post#23 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 2, 2017 7:04 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#24 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 3, 2017 1:18 am

No surprise that the Red Sea is parting for Baez to walk right on through to the postseason roster.

If Dave opts for him in high leverage situations over Watson or Morrow, I’m going to be thoroughly annoyed and I’m going to be louder than Neddy calling for his job.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

My Finalized Postseason Roster for the 2017 NLDS 

Post#25 » by Ranma » Tue Oct 3, 2017 1:36 am

Starting Pitchers
    LHP - Clayton Kershaw
    LHP - Rich Hill
    RHP - Yu Darvish
    LHP - Alex Wood
Batting Order Lineup
    CF - Chris Taylor
    SS - Corey Seager
    3B - Justin Turner
    1B - Cody Bellinger
    C - Austin Barnes
    2B - Logan Forsythe
    RF - Yasiel Puig
    LF - Curtis Granderson
Bench
    C- Yasmani Grandal
    UT - **** Hernandez
    2B - Chase Utley
    LF - Andre Ethier
    C - Kyle Farmer
Bullpen
    RHP - Kenley Jansen
    RHP - Brandon Morrow
    LHP - Tony Watson
    LHP - Tony Cingrani
    RHP - Kenta Maeda
    RHP - Josh Fields
    RHP - Walker Buehler
    RHP - Brandon McCarthy
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: My Finalized Postseason Roster for the 2017 NLDS 

Post#26 » by Neddy » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:41 am

Ranma wrote:Starting Pitchers
    LHP - Clayton Kershaw
    LHP - Rich Hill
    RHP - Yu Darvish
    LHP - Alex Wood
Batting Order Lineup
    CF - Chris Taylor
    SS - Corey Seager
    3B - Justin Turner
    1B - Cody Bellinger
    C - Austin Barnes
    2B - Logan Forsythe
    RF - Yasiel Puig
    LF - Curtis Granderson
Bench
    C- Yasmani Grandal
    UT - **** Hernandez
    2B - Chase Utley
    LF - Andre Ethier
    C - Kyle Farmer
Bullpen
    RHP - Kenley Jansen
    RHP - Brandon Morrow
    LHP - Tony Watson
    LHP - Tony Cingrani
    RHP - Kenta Maeda
    RHP - Josh Fields
    RHP - Walker Buehler
    RHP - Brandon McCarthy

while I agree that your roster is more likely, I am going to post what I think is the best for the team...

SP
1- Kershaw... who else better eh?
2 - Hill ... cuz he sucks at Coors or Dirtbags stadium.
3 - Darvish
4 - Ryu he has a much longer track record of being a big game pitcher, from the days of his Asian games, Olympic games, WBC games, etc. he also was the last starting pitcher to win a playoff game not named Kershaw or Greinke for us.

RP
5 - Jensen... enough said.
6 - Morrow... I sure hope Dave the idiot can get this one right...
7 - Watson. need a lefty in SU crew.
8 - Wood.... he is the ultimate all situations reliever. he can come in as a SU, MR, or LR. he even can close for you if Kenley isn't avail.
9 - Maeda... THE long reliever in this series.
10 - Fields.. because he deserves it.
11 - Tony #2 aka Mr. Cingriani. he has improved under our coaches, he is able to give better separation between his pitches now.
12 - it just has to be McCarthy, but it will be Baez...

Lineup

13/1 - CF Taylor
14/2 - SS Seager
15/3 - 3B Turner
16/4 - 1B Bellinger
17/5 - RF Puig
18/6 - 2B Utley/Forsythe platoon
19/7 - C Grandal... I know Barnes is the better hitter overall, but I want a thumper batting this late in a short series....
20/8 - LF Granderson... and this is really unfortunate. if Ethier could play a decent defense he outta be batting 6th, C 7th, and 2B 8th....

the Bench

21 - C Barnes.
22 - C Farmer... so we can use Barnes as often as we would like in any situation in any game.
23 - U ****... because we need a guy who can play every position other than P/C
24 - Ethier.. we need this professional pinch hitter in this series.
25 - the loser of the 2B platoon.

this way, Ethier is the very late inning, 8th, 9th, or even perhaps an extra inning pinch hitter, and Barnes can be the 6/7/8 inning pinch hitter when the opportunity arise. the loser of the 2B platoon will be the R/L situational pinch hitter at any inning, and Kyle Farmer still can bring his bat when needed as long as we have a single healthy catcher on the field or the bench. **** will be his usual self, the ultimate utility who can really come off the bench to hit the lefties.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

The 2017 POSTSEASON thread. 

Post#27 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:51 am

With no Avilan, I want Ryu over Maeda for sure now.

Definitely want McCarthy over Baez. Filthy stuff. Keeps us malleable and is primed to go multiple innings if a starter gets pulled early.

I like Neddy’s construction and lineup.

edit:
Overlooked that Neddy had Ryu starting.

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#28 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:43 pm

You guys have any preference in opponent?

Ranma
RealGM

Want Another Pool Party at Chase Field 

Post#29 » by Ranma » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:33 pm

Arizona is probably the tougher challenge, but I'd love to beat Greinke and the D-backs. It'd be great to stick it to Greinke and show why winning is more important than getting extra money. Jansen left money on the table to come back to this team because he loved his teammates and believed in the Dodgers. The Diamondbacks can continue to choke on their inferiority complex all winter after we eliminate them.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

The 2017 POSTSEASON thread. 

Post#30 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:03 am

Mistake
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#31 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:06 am

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#32 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:11 am

Bring on the Dirt Bags!

Ranma
RealGM

Patch of Honor 

Post#33 » by Ranma » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:28 am

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Post#34 » by Neddy » Thu Oct 5, 2017 6:06 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Image

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I know this is not the forum to discuss this matter but there really aren't any as most political forums are littered with russian agents and idiots of the 30%. you know who I am referring to.

Monday, was a very depressing day. I could not even speak out loud interacting with my own patients at work. raising the bar of the social distortion to a brand new level, as we have with climate change related natural disasters. as an educated man of science, we were studying the impact of climate change back in the early 90s from professors with no political affiliates who studied the change of earth since the 50s. and here we are, the sociopathic world now turning psychopathic behaviors as the new norm, with richie rich in certain house whom every psychoanalyst in the country have diagnosed to be a patient of malignant narcissistic personality disorder, and the new "worst mass shooting of American history" annually followed by "the worst heat wave of recorded history" and by virtue of living in Oregon, hundreds of brush fire including the one from the gorge... and the Glendale/Burbank fire that threatened my parents' home a few months ago... especially the gorge that experts say it will take decades if not hundreds of years to recover... I lose faith in humanity everyday. I bleed my heart for the Sandy Hook parents... those who lost their beloved to the Theatre shooting by Holmes... the Pulse club victims... and now this. I have no word. those in power always say "thoughts and prayers goes out to (insert any place hit by natural disaster or mass shooting) and yet nothing get ever done about it, or even acknowledged of the presence of the issues at hand. people die in these horrific natural disasters because unlike the vast majority of the world, we have even yet to officially accept that climate change is real. unlike the rest of the world, us the Americans who only make up about 4.4 percent of the world population owns nearly a half of the civilian firearms ownership and owns 1/3 of the entire world's gun related homicide. I am not saying all guns should be banned, since I myself have been a gun owner since 1993. I own a 9 mm Beretta 92E, which is a simple handgun for home protection, and a 17 HMR bolt action rifle I go small game hunting with, that has a 4 bullet magazine. I could never cause a massacre with those weapons and I have no problem for those who have defensive handguns or hunting rifles. hell an 18 gauge shotgun is the best home defense weapon to have, but where is the neeed defensively or hunting-wise with a 600 bullets per minute firing high power fully automatic assault rifle in modern world other than for mass killing?

excuse me for my rant. it took me this long to really digest and finally express my thoughts. I am sorry this is not the proper place to do so.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#35 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 5, 2017 11:29 am

We have a tough test ahead of us.

I didn’t believe in AZ at the beginning of the year. They have earned my respect. They have a hell of a lineup to get through. They have solid SP and good relief on the way to a spotty closer.

Greinke had a poor outing in the WC game but I still respect him and we won’t see him until Game 3.

Guys. Guys. Guys.
It’s time for Kershaw to do his damn job in October. He needs to be all business Friday. He cannot “set the tone” for this series with a huge blow up inning or even 6 IP 2 ER but leaving the bases loaded for a turd like Baez. I know. I know. Bringing in Baez would be Dave’s fault but it’s time for OUR $200 million to dominate and leave no doubt in October (like he did in Game 2 at Wrigley last year or Game 4 in Queens). He is capable. GET IT DONE!

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#36 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:41 am

Alex Wood gets Game 4.
No Ryu on the postseason roster.

Dave saying no Kershaw on short rest.
I still don’t think we put Wood out in Game 4 if we are down 2-1.

However...
Let’s hope we don’t get there.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#37 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:11 am

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,289

Post#38 » by Kilroy » Fri Oct 6, 2017 5:00 am

Damn it's happening... I hope I get to watch some of the games live this season... May have to head to a bar... But people are not LA fans in Austin... I mean they REALLY aren't LA fans. I meet Dodger fans everywhere but when I go to a bar or whatever, they aren't about the LA teams.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Ranma
RealGM

Postseason Philosophy 

Post#39 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 6, 2017 5:05 am

While I like the "swing for the fences" approach to first-round draft picks, I've seen too many times how an impotent offense that can't get timely hits has ruined our postseason efforts in the recent past. What's the use of having power bats if they come up empty with runners in scoring position? Our pitching should be a strength in the playoffs so I don't want it to be undermined by an inconsistent offense. I want reliable bats, so I'll settle for station-to-station offense as long as it is reliable and consistent.

With that in mind, this is why I want Barnes starting every game of the postseason for us. He's the better overall player on offense and defense. He calls a good game and platooning him makes little sense since he actually bats better against right-handed pitching than he does against left-handers with his reverse split. However, he has more home runs against southpaws.

The only knock against Barnes is Kershaw seems to be more comfortable with Grandal than him for whatever reason, so I'd usually acquiesce to our ace's preference. Other than that, we won't have to worry as much about passed balls with Barnes as much as we do with Grandal. Barnes runs the bases much better and he's more reliable offensively. I've said it many times before, Barnes does the little things that wins championships, which is why I want him out there as much as possible.

Grandal seemed to be emerging from his slump, but Forsythe has actually shown signs of progress with his bat along with his dependable glove. I have a feeling Logan will be a significant presence in our postseason and likely the unsung or surprise hero before all is said and done.

I have Farmer on the postseason roster but I'm really tempted by Locastro as our designated burner. Farmer allows us to play Grandal and Barnes at the same time, but with Forsythe progressing, that may not be necessary any more. I usually favor speed in our lineups because stolen bases are usually key plays in the playoffs whether as a catalyst to spark an offense or to get in position to score that crucial late-inning run in a close game.

Grandal's power bat makes more sense as a pinch-hitter when we can employ him in situational at-bats.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Baez will find his way onto the roster and, if so, I hope it's at the expense of McCarthy instead of Buehler. McCarthy's yips are a bigger concern to me than Buehler's inexperience, plus, Walker's stuff is superior to Brandon's.

I'm actually glad to have Wood slated as the 4th starter despite his decreased velocity. He's the more reliable gamer and, if we can get him some rest by sweeping the D-backs, it would serve us well in the next series, but we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

I was already concerned about Ryu's health from that shot to his forearm late in the season, but his last outing left little to be desired, plus, he doesn't warm up well out of the bullpen. Given the circumstances, I can't fault Roberts for making the call of Wood over Ryu in the rotation.

What I am concerned with is how he will use the bullpen. The Dodgers have plenty of capable talent with Jansen, Morrow, Watson, and Cingrani as late-inning options. Baez, Fields, Buehler, and Maeda should be utilized in low-leverage and early-inning situations.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Postseason Philosophy 

Post#40 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 6, 2017 5:11 am

Ranma wrote:While I like the "swing for the fences" approach to first-round draft picks, I've seen too many times how an impotent offense that can't get timely hits have ruined our postseason efforts in the recent past. What's the use of having power bats if they come up empty with runners in scoring position. Our pitching should be a strength in the playoffs so I don't want it to be undermined by an inconsistent offense. I want reliable bats, so I'll settle for station-to-station offense as long as it is reliable and consistent.

With that in mind, this is why I want Barnes starting every game of the postseason for us. He's the better overall player on offense and defense. He calls a good game and platooning him makes little sense since he actually bats better against right-handed pitching than he does against left-handers with his reverse split. However, he has more home runs against southpaws.

The only knock against Barnes is Kershaw seems to be more comfortable with Grandal than Barnes for whatever reason, so I'd usually acquiesce to our ace's preference. Other than that, we won't have to worry as much about passed balls with Barnes as much as we do with Grandal. Barnes runs the bases much better and he's more reliable offensively. I've said it many times before, Barnes does the little things that wins championships, which is why I want him out there as much as possible.

Grandal seemed to be emerging from his slump, but Forsythe has actually shown sings of progress with his bat along with his dependable glove. I have a feeling Logan will be a significant presence in our postseason and likely the unsung or surprise hero before all is said and done.

I have Farmer on the postseason roster but I'm really tempted by Locastro as our designated burner. Farmer allows us to play Grandal and Barnes at the same time, but with Forsythe progressing, that may not be necessary any more. I usually favor speed in our lineups because stolen bases are usually key plays in the playoffs whether as a catalyst to spark an offense or to get in position to score that crucial late-inning run in a close game.

Grandal's power bat makes more sense as a pinch-hitter when we can employ him in situational at-bats.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Baez will find his way onto the roster and, if so, I hope it's at the expense of McCarthy instead of Buehler. McCarthy's yips are a bigger concern to me than Buehler's inexperience, plus, Walker's stuff is superior to Brandon's.

I'm actually glad to have Wood slated as the 4th starter despite his decreased velocity. He's the more reliable gamer and, if we can get him some rest by sweeping the D-back, it would serve us well in the next series, but we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

I was already concerned about Ryu's health from that shot to his forearm late in the season, but his last outing left little to be desired, plus, he doesn't warm up well out of the bullpen. Given the circumstances, I can't fault Roberts for making the call of Wood over Ryu in the rotation.

What I am concerned with is how he will use the bullpen. The Dodgers have plenty of capable talent with Jansen, Morrow, Watson, and Cingrani as late-inning options. Baez, Fields, Buehler, and Maeda should be utilized in low-leverage and early-inning situations.

hold on here man. Yasmani Grandal is the best catcher ERA man among all qualified catchers ERA this year.
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/stats?season=2017&category=FIELDING+II&group=1&sort=8&time=0&pos=2&qual=1&sortOrder=0&splitType=0

Grandal's catcher's ERA is 3.22, Barnes is 3.74.

with regard to catching and game calling only, I want Grandal behind the plate.

with regard to overall game, I want Grandal on games where he is most compatible with the starting pitcher, and other nights Barnes with whom he is most compatible with, rather than which hitter is more effective against the opposing starting pitcher.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers