NLDS Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,660

Re: NLDS Thread 

Post#61 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:13 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:IDC about bringing Baez in.

The Mets started spitting on Kershaw's breaking stuff. A lot of people are saying, "you trust your ace." I don't subscribe to that logic. You trust your ace if you see he still has the stuff to get people out while he is in a jam. When the Mets went from swinging and missing at all the breaking stuff to spitting on damn near every one of them in the 7th, Mattingly should have known it was time based on Kershaw's stuff…especially with Granderson (who had just smoked Kershaw back up the middle) coming up.

Yes, I think the decision should have been made based on Granderson with RISP even though the TV talk seems to be about whether he should have stayed in to get Wright.

With Granderson…2 were on…2 out…free base…perfect time to bring in Howell to get him out.

Grandy Walks…you pull Kershaw…and now Baez is coming in in a much tougher, higher leverage situation rather than just putting a lefty on Granderson and seeing David Wright in the top of the 8th.

I am a firm believer that you either pull your guy early when you smell trouble, or let your guy work through his troubles. I don't get why you would let your ace load the bases with two outs then bring in a kid to close out. that is fair to neither player and it is solely on the manager to sort through these things. you let your ace work through and if he blows it, you blame yourself in post game. you pull your guy early and have him be mad at you if your decision ended up sucking but you don't put your players in unfair spot to come through for your indecision.

I feel you there.

But I was so dead set on Kershaw being pulled early as you said (or earlier) that I haven't given much thought to whether I would have let him see David Wright. I'm so convinced Howell or Avilan could have gotten Grandy that I can't even think about why Baez was in facing Wright with the bases loaded.

I guess at that point you're right, let Kershaw get Wright….but it shouldn't have gotten to that point IMO.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#62 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:16 am

Congrats blue.

If we happen to win a game, Kershaw on 3 days rest on Tuesday.
Can't wait for that…the one thing I've wanted to avoid since the end of last season.
-__-
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#63 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:19 am

I'd like to see **** in LF tomorrow.

Crawford didn't have a chance today. Doubt he does any better tomorrow.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#64 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I'd like to see **** in LF tomorrow.

Crawford didn't have a chance today. Doubt he does any better tomorrow.

well **** is playing... just not LF.

I bet today's lineup card has a ton of Freidman and Zaini influence on it.
Kendrick leading off with Seager following, seems very SABR.
Having Carl Crawford start and Peralta on the roster, seems like a move of an older GM who trusts his known vets.

but in a short series like this, nothing matters more than simple, pure, dumb luck...
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#65 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:20 am

am I the only one seeing rosin on Syndergaard's left forearm? he has foreign substance! somebody from the dodger dugout, call it!!!!
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#66 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:29 am

goddamn it I was just telling my wife how Cespedes is a real good bad ball hitter and there he goes....
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#67 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:44 am

haha they just showed a long frozen shot of Syndergaard standing on the mound with his left arm shiny and reflective full of light while his right arm is as dry and flashy as it can be
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dodgers Down Once Again 

Post#68 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:54 am

I haven't noticed anything on Syndergaard but I have tired eyes right now to go along with a deflated heart. Ethier had a good at-bat and Grandal hit the ball on the button, but the Dodgers' offense continues to disappoint.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Bananas 

Post#69 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:06 am

Syndergaard's left arm does indeed look suspiciously shiny, but throwing 100-mph heat is impressive, regardless. **** with the leadoff base hit and now Kendrick with a hit to set up Seager with 2 on and 1 out.

Update: I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we come up empty again with consecutive strikeouts by Seager and A-Gon.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Bananas 

Post#70 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:28 am

Ranma wrote:Syndergaard's left arm does indeed look suspiciously shiny, but throwing 100-mph heat is impressive, regardless. **** with the leadoff base hit and now Kendrick with a hit to set up Seager with 2 on and 1 out.

Update: I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we come up empty again with consecutive strikeouts by Seager and A-Gon.

strike out, throw out double play... this is it. this is the turning point.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Back-to-Back Doubles 

Post#71 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:32 am

Neddy wrote:strike out, throw out double play... this is it. this is the turning point.

Ethier and Turner come through to get us on the board.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#72 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:35 am

as good as any spot for Grandal to go long
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#73 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:36 am

I didn't mean go long out the foul line, but glad at least we continue this inning with banana rally coming up.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#74 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:38 am

make em pay, Greinke!
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#75 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:45 am

Ethier running into outs out here.

come on man.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#76 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:00 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Ethier running into outs out here.

come on man.

I fault Carl for being unable to move the runner to 3rd. in fact, I fault Donny Potato. we just scored a run, 2-1 and no outs... move the runner to third knowing Carl sucks at bat and has little ability for slugging, IF he hits, its a single. why not bunt? or try to bunt for a hit to third base and pull the fielder off the bag, make it easier for Ethier to move up a base. Donny and his PotatoBall never makes much sense neither in traditional sense or SABR sense.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#77 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:17 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Ethier running into outs out here.

come on man.

I fault Carl for being unable to move the runner to 3rd. in fact, I fault Donny Potato. we just scored a run, 2-1 and no outs... move the runner to third knowing Carl sucks at bat and has little ability for slugging, IF he hits, its a single. why not bunt? or try to bunt for a hit to third base and pull the fielder off the bag, make it easier for Ethier to move up a base. Donny and his PotatoBall never makes much sense neither in traditional sense or SABR sense.

Carl no longer has the bat speed at this age to have a starting role in this series.

luckily Syndergaard's velo is going down.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#78 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:17 am

nevermind.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#79 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:20 am

Carl is single handedly killing our rallies each time. can we please not see him in batters box anymore? I bet you give Puig those 7 at bats at least Yasiel would have made one hit so far.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Part of the Job Description 

Post#80 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:20 am

I concur. As bad of a baserunning bonehead that was by Ethier, Mattingly is responsible for trying to make things happen, especially when our offense has proven to be inept with RISP and with the opponent's pitching stepping up its game. Donnie's laidback approach is a detriment in that regard. It's clear that we need to manufacture runs, so sitting back and letting things happen is absolutely tone deaf.

I wanted Crawford in lineup to start the series but he's been a waste of a spot in the batting order. The players and their manager have to play a smarter game.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers