ImageImageImageImageImage

Prospects and trade discussion

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Wilmer Font Loudly Knocking on Door to the Show 

Post#621 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Herges continues to paint a picture of how in sync our farm development has been at all levels, particularly with his mention of how much confidence he as in his catchers calling games. Font is exactly why I'd prefer not to trade for a relief arm as we have plenty of talent in the minors to fulfill that role. The fact that they're not heavily scouted at the major-league level also serves as an advantage.

Craig Minami, TrueBlueLA.com (6/17/17)
Wilmer Font has had a great season so far, why do you think he has done so well this season?

“I can’t speak about his previous years with any organization but we have freed him up, I think, to use his number one asset, as much as he wants to, and that’s the high fastball.”

“He has better carry than just about anyone else in baseball, his elevation is elite, and we encourage him to do that.”

What is “carry?”

“He has a fastball, it doesn’t go down, so when it comes out of his hands, it stays truer longer than most peoples.”

“Now some people say that is because it’s high spin, some people say maybe his spin isn’t as high as a lot of people but it just seems to carry.”

“Now whether that’s extension or how the ball just comes out of his hand, for whatever reason it plays up at the elite level.”

What are Font’s strengths?

“He can command both sides of the plate with his fastball, he can both sides of the plate with his slider. He’s got a split-finger that goes straight down and he’s got the elite elevation.”

“So getting strike one, no matter how he gets it, sets up everything. Now, if it’s curveball, studies show very rarely does someone swing at a first pitch curveball, for whatever reason, no one sits on it, it’s just a free strike, we call it a free strike, you land a first pitch curveball, it’s a free strike.”

“Now he has all these weapons to get two strikes, and that why he has all of those strikeouts, he’s leading the league by like at least 20.”

Matt Herges talks about Julio Urias and Wilmer Font
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Update on Imani Abdullah 

Post#622 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Diaz Makes MLB Pipeline's Prospect Team of the Week (6/26) 

Post#623 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Jim Callis, MLB.com (6/26/17)
OF: Yusniel Diaz, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (Class A Advanced)
(Dodgers No. 5 prospect//MLB No. 93)
4 G, .474/.476/1.105, 5 R, 9 H, 4 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SO

Lancaster's The Hangar may be the best place to hit in the Minors, and Diaz certainly took advantage when he visited for four games last week. He homered Thursday, had four hits Friday, reached base twice on Saturday and collected three more hits with another homer on Sunday. He's now batting .293/.358/.452 with seven homers in 65 games as a 20-year-old in high Class A.

Mets Trio Headlines Prospect Team of the Week
Ranma
RealGM

High-Heat Arms 

Post#624 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:32 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Charlie Wilmoth, BucDugout.com (11/14/16)
The Pirates gave Allie a $2.25 million bonus after he surprisingly fell to them in the 2010 draft. It was an admirable gamble on their part, but it quickly became clear he was unlikely to make good on that bonus. Allie began his career as a triple-digit-throwing righty, joining fellow 2010 draftee Jameson Taillon as one of the Bucs' top pitching prospects as the organization quickly added high-upside talent of the sort it rarely had under Dave Littlefield.

Unlike Taillon, though, Allie exhibited big-time control problems and quickly flamed out, then sort of reemerged as a hard-hitting 1B/OF with a big arm and significant contact issues.

Dodgers Sign Stetson Allie to Minor League Deal

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Verdugo Streaking 

Post#625 » by Ranma » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:30 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Peters Impresses 

Post#626 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Eric Longenhagen, FanGraphs.com (7/3/17)
DJ Peters, OF, Los Angeles NL (Profile)
Level: Hi-A Age: 21 Org Rank: 18 Top 100: NR
Line: 3-for-4, 3 HR, BB

Notes
Peters is a rare physical specimen who draws body comps to Jayson Werth at 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, with plus speed underway and flowing curls. He also has plus raw power, to which he’s able to get in games despite the exact kind of swing and miss you would expect from a hitter this size. Scouts generally agree that Peters will eventually get too big to retain his current range in center field but some think he’ll be able to stay there long enough to spend his first few big-league seasons there. Others think he’ll have filled out by the time he hits enough to reach the majors.

Daily Prospect Notes: 7/3
Ranma
RealGM

Another Young Arm on the Farm Pops on Radar 

Post#627 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 5, 2017 11:58 pm

Eric Longenhagen, FanGraphs.com (7/5/17)
The Dodgers’ 17-year-old, 6-foot righty Melvin Jimenez has been up to 97 and is also flashing a plus breaking ball.

Daily Prospect Notes: 7/4 and 7/5
Ranma
RealGM

Peters Pastes MadBum 

Post#628 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:00 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

3 Dodgers in BP's Midseason Top 30 

Post#629 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Jeffrey Paternostro & BP Prospect Staff, Baseball Prospectus (7/6/17)
19. Walker Buehler, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

Why He’ll Succeed:
You can make an argument Buehler has the best raw stuff in the minors right now. The fastball can touch 99, and he complements it with two advanced breaking pitches, both of which are potentially plus major league offerings.

Why He Might Fail: His frame and mechanics don’t exactly scream “this is a safe starting pitching prospect.” He has been healthy for only the last ten months. I’m not going to overuse “also, he’s a pitcher” on this list, but it feels appropriate here at least.

27. Alex Verdugo, OF, Los Angeles Dodgers

Why He’ll Succeed:
If you’re going to have one carrying tool, the hit tool is a good one to have. Verdugo’s might be double plus. He’s got a dynamic arm too, which should serve him well in right field if he can’t stick up the middle.

Why He Might Fail: There’s a decent chance he doesn’t stick up the middle as his speed is average and he could slow down as he matures. If the hit tool isn’t what we think it is, there’s not a ton to fall back on.

28. Yadier Alvarez, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

Why He’ll Succeed:
The raw stuff is so good you could open a restaurant in a trendy part of NYC. It’s really easy, elite velocity paired with two potential plus secondaries. He’s long, lanky and has the athleticism to make it all work as a starter.

Why He Might Fail: The control and command are loose enough, and the changeup far away enough that he might not be a starter if it one or more of those aspects don’t take a significant step forward.

2017 Prospects
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Peters Pastes MadBum 

Post#630 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:13 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

no love loss from me. what a great news.

now only if the Gnats throw him a 100 million dollar extension to boot at the end of this season... :rock:
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#631 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:28 am

we have got to sign Otani... no matter the cost. every each passing day I lose a little bit more faith that Alvarez will ever figure out how to actually pitch despite his incredible talent. nowadays I think Buehler is more likely to displace Baez to the 7th inning duties and take over the setup man job in a year or two. Alex Verdugo, as much as I love him, seems to get closer to Willie as just another eventual trade bait.

resign Kershaw, we will sport

Kershaw-Wood-Hill-McCarthy-Ryu-Maeda starting corp, which is actually very good, but there is no youth outside of Wood. bring in Otani, move Maeda to the pen as the long man, or trade him for assets, Hill/McCarthy/Ryu can play 2 spots among them depending on who's healthy, not only physically but also mentally. I accept that Kazmir is a lost cause but if he ever comes back, he will be a bullpen piece and an emergency starter. nobody in right mind would/should want to trade for Kazmir/Hill/McCarthy due to their age and contract size. Ryu is attractive but his injury history and not expensive, but still not cheap contract, will deter most of the small market teams and bigger market teams would have better options to gamble on.

Kershaw-Wood(yes Ranma, now I am convinced he may have turned the corner and he could be an ace)-Otani-Hill-McCarthy/Ryu with
Maeda as the spot starter/long man... Stripling/Stewart/Morrow/Kazmir are the next bets to either be long men or emergency starters. move Buehler as our setup man, then in reverse order, our pen looks like; Jansen/Buehler/Baez/ as the 9-8-7th and any combination of the next 4 to round it out.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#632 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:16 am

http://bit.ly/2txLYdr

Buehler up to 17.
To have someone at 17 after all those graduations is great.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#633 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:24 am

http://bit.ly/2txLYdr

Buehler up to 17.
To have someone at 17 after all those graduations is great.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Dealing for Cutch 

Post#634 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:28 pm

I believe I mentioned before that I wanted to target Andrew McCutchen for a trade. However, that was when he was struggling for the Pirates and presumably cheap to acquire with Joc Pederson also struggling at the time. Now his price tag is likely cost-prohibitive, especially when there is a team option for next season before he hits free agency.

Buster Olney thinks the Dodgers could be in play for McCutchen as an opportunity buyer since we apparently talked about him during the winter. Olney also mentions that there is not a good market for outfielders right now and that the Dodgers are not wed to Yasiel Puig long-term.

However, Ken Rosenthal noted that the Pirates have carried players to free agency before and his contract is affordable even for them. Plus, the Pirates want to compete next season as well.

I'm not inclined to make a move for him now even with my slight annoyance with Puig at the moment, but if he ends up being a bigger problem, I would entertain talks to have Cutch replace Puig in the outfield with Joc possibly moving over to right field. We'd notably lose out on Puig's cannon arm but our offense should be better.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Bellinger Featured in L.A. Times 

Post#635 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Brad Hand Available 

Post#636 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 9, 2017 7:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Brad Hand Available 

Post#637 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:03 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would like this kid to join our pen, but wouldn't it cost more for us, as a divisional rival team, to acquire him, especially after how Grandal-Kemp trade turned out for Aj Preller? that weasel is a vindictive mofo.

but his 1.000 WHIP is looking good. that's for sure.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Dealing for Cutch 

Post#638 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:14 pm

Ranma wrote:I believe I mentioned before that I wanted to target Andrew McCutchen for a trade. However, that was when he was struggling for the Pirates and presumably cheap to acquire with Joc Pederson also struggling at the time. Now his price tag is likely cost-prohibitive, especially when there is a team option for next season before he hits free agency.

Buster Olney thinks the Dodgers could be in play for McCutchen as an opportunity buyer since we apparently talked about him during the winter. Olney also mentions that there is not a good market for outfielders right now and that the Dodgers are not wed to Yasiel Puig long-term.

However, Ken Rosenthal noted that the Pirates have carried players to free agency before and his contract is affordable even for them. Plus, the Pirates want to compete next season as well.

I'm not inclined to make a move for him now even with my slight annoyance with Puig at the moment, but if he ends up being a bigger problem, I would entertain talks to have Cutch replace Puig in the outfield with Joc possibly moving over to right field. We'd notably lose out on Puig's cannon arm but our offense should be better.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I dunno man. I like what we've got going on right now and Cutch I don't think is the center fielder that Joc is right now, he was moved over to corner for Marte to start this season too. I am glad to see Cutch do well again, but have no confidence he can sustain this after showing what appeared to be a sudden regression last season.

still tho, Cutch is hitting better than .900 OPS. he also has 16 HRs so far, he is a head and neck above Puig with his bat. he would also make a great clubhouse leader. guys like Cutch, Turner, Utley, Forsythe, and Clay can give this team an unshakable identity going into the playoffs. but I also doubt the price on Cutch is just Puig. it will take a pitching prospect or two to go along with Yasiel.

not sure how I feel about this. I can see enormous positives in both choices, and enormous risks each decision can take on.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Dealing with San Diego's Whale Vagina 

Post#639 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 9, 2017 9:00 pm

Neddy wrote:I would like this kid to join our pen, but wouldn't it cost more for us, as a divisional rival team, to acquire him, especially after how Grandal-Kemp trade turned out for Aj Preller? that weasel is a vindictive mofo.

but his 1.000 WHIP is looking good. that's for sure.

Yeah, it'd probably cost a a premium to deal with Preller, especially if there is demand for Hand, which seems to be the case. If he plays hardball, we move on. I'd love to have Hand but not at the expense of grossly overpaying.

However, maybe Friedman & Co. can continue to outsmart him in identifying under-the-radar type prospects to acquire. Cole Bellinger is not eligible to be traded until after the World Series but he's not someone worth pursuing heavily either unless he's a throw-in. I'd love to work a deal where we package Verdugo and Calhoun for Hand and Cal Quantrill, Luis Almanzar, or maybe Luis Urias (with others).

Quantrill is a pitcher we all liked in the 2016 draft. Almanzar was one of the top prospect signings in last year's J2 international class and arguably the best SS talent on that list. Urias is an infielder in the Padres' minor league system who's shown a good feel for batting while having a decent glove; more players would have to accompany Urias, though, as he's not as promising as either Quantrill or Almanzar.
Ranma
RealGM

Yadier Showing Off Stuff on World Stage 

Post#640 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 9, 2017 9:09 pm

It would suck if Alvarez doesn't develop that third pitch to become a starter, but I'm holding out hope and willing to be patient with him for now.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers