ImageImageImageImageImage

2015/16 Offseason: More active than Shakira's hips

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Re: 2015 Offseason: (Mattingly out!) 

Post#81 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:11 am

Not a huge fan of Bud Black. I rather go after Dave Martinez. As far as dealing Adrian Gonzalez, I would do it, especially if you can get Freddie Freeman. Keep in mind, Freeman would have insane protection compared to what he has in Atlanta. If you could deal Crawford in the process, that would be even better.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#82 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:34 am

well the simple assumption i made was that we are supposedly impressed with Dave Roberts, and Bud clearly having the complete understanding of how bullpen shouldbe be used, it just made an easy sense to correlate the two of thier past working experience and throw Gabe Kapler into the mix, but you are right, the most suitable one to win the job just might be the other Dave. but as far as all the reports leaked out to public, Dave Martinez's name was not one of the final four. since Darin Erstad withdrew his name to stay as the manager of the Nebraska's baseball team, the remaining three are the ones I have mentioned...

if you guys are so high on Freddie for the same money as Gonzo, how about using that money towards signing David Price and Greinke and simply give the key to the 1B to SVS? he won't even cost a million and if given a consistent at bats through an entire season, he will give you 25 hrs minimum.

again, i am not against Freddie, just against the cost. IF we can get Gonzo AND Carl off the books, that alone plus dead weights such as Bronson Arroyo and others will easily pay for and still save money while paying Greinke and Price 30 mil a piece.

I just don't see how we can get rid of Gonzo's contract without eating a large chunk of it while taking on Freddie's equally expensive contract and no even our Guggenheim financial can't just continue to bloat our payroll past 300 million from here on. Andrew and Co have been working hard to replenish our farm while eating up dead but short term salaries while fixing Ned Colletti's crap he left behind, but we will not continue to operate as if Ned Colletti was still in charge.

but glad to see you post here. we can use more posters. hope to see you in next season's game threads as well.
ehhhhh f it.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#83 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:43 am

Neddy wrote:well the simple assumption i made was that we are supposedly impressed with Dave Roberts, and Bud clearly having the complete understanding of how bullpen shouldbe be used, it just made an easy sense to correlate the two of thier past working experience and throw Gabe Kapler into the mix, but you are right, the most suitable one to win the job just might be the other Dave. but as far as all the reports leaked out to public, Dave Martinez's name was not one of the final four. since Darin Erstad withdrew his name to stay as the manager of the Nebraska's baseball team, the remaining three are the ones I have mentioned...

if you guys are so high on Freddie for the same money as Gonzo, how about using that money towards signing David Price and Greinke and simply give the key to the 1B to SVS? he won't even cost a million and if given a consistent at bats through an entire season, he will give you 25 hrs minimum.

again, i am not against Freddie, just against the cost. IF we can get Gonzo AND Carl off the books, that alone plus dead weights such as Bronson Arroyo and others will easily pay for and still save money while paying Greinke and Price 30 mil a piece.

I just don't see how we can get rid of Gonzo's contract without eating a large chunk of it while taking on Freddie's equally expensive contract and no even our Guggenheim financial can't just continue to bloat our payroll past 300 million from here on. Andrew and Co have been working hard to replenish our farm while eating up dead but short term salaries while fixing Ned Colletti's crap he left behind, but we will not continue to operate as if Ned Colletti was still in charge.

but glad to see you post here. we can use more posters. hope to see you in next season's game threads as well.

This is the thing. Dodgers fans want Price and Greinke on top of Kershaw and they want all the big names. On top of that, you're right - you can't continually point the cap upwards. I've posted here that I rather not sign both Greinke and Price. Maybe just one. You can better allocate that money elsewhere. Typically, it's a horrible idea to give up such big contracts to pitchers, especially someone like Greinke who is on the wrong side of 30. If you really want another pitcher on top of Greinke, you're better off trading prospects and going all in this season, then using cost savings to sign everyday players. I know this would never happen, but if I'm the Dodgers, I'd do the following:

Trade Seager, Pederson/Verdugo, and Crawford for Chris Sale.
Re-sign Greinke
Sign Yoenis Cespedes
Sign Alexei Ramirez on a 1 year deal for about 6.5 million.
Re-sign Howie Kendrick

Rotation:
Kershaw
Greinke
Sale
Ryu
Anderson

OF-Cespedes
OF-Puig
OF-Ethier
1B-Gonzalez
2B-Kendrick
3B-Turner
SS-Ramirez
C-Grandal
Neddy
RealGM

Post#84 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:51 am

but that's just the thing. Andrew and Co. are trying to win it now while planning for a sustainable future. we are not selling our prospects to go "all in" the way Ned Colletti would do, or Dave Dombrowski would do. that strategy is like being on a stimulant drug, it will crash eventually and crash hard. I don't want to be the Tigers who tried for several years just to rebuild from the bottom up after years of failure. I like what we are doing right now, keeping the farm replenished and healthy via way of absorbing a ton of bad short term contracts other teams want to dump, at the same time stock up on talent and depth on the major league club.

for the WhiteSox, it makes no sense to dump Sale while taking on Crawford's contract. Im sure they want to shed salary while gaining prospects and they would do the deal in a heartbeat if Seager and Pederson were involved, but I personally think that is also not the best, productive way to go. those two players you mentioned have much higher ceilings than Dee Gordon and Sales although a great pitcher, is not better than Greinke or Price we can simply buy without giving up any young talent.

I like your thinking in terms of stacking up on the talents on both ends of the rotation and the lineup, but because we are building talents from the farm who comes cheap, we can afford to take a gamble with expensive pitchers on the wrong side of the 30s. by the time Greinke and possibly Price are pulling their best act of Mike Hampton, we would have De Leon, Urias, and Walker ready for the major league club at a half a million each. as long as dead money players such as Crawford are gone from our payroll, we can significantly lower the payroll from where it is right now and still be on the hook for 90 million of Kershaw/Greinke/Price as any one of them or even all of them can crap out in the near future. we all know investing into a long, expensive contracts to a pitcher is a bad idea anyways, but until we can bring up the young arms to replace them and it will take 2 to 3 years minimum to do it, we will have to bite the bullet and pay up if we want to win it all.

having said all this, although I still believe for the short term it is emphatically important to bring back Zack, but in contrary for the long run, it may be a better deal to let him walk and sign Price and Possibly Cueto. letting Geinke go would bring us a compensation pick and that would be a top 40 pick. neither Price nor Cueto costs us a pick. that pick we would gain will surely come from our rivals. that in terms of the big picture, could be a win-win.

but what is most realistic will surely be a signing of one of Greinke/Price and after all these innuendos and gesturing, I believe our actual #1 target is Price over Greinke..

Kershaw/Price//Anderson/Wood/Bolsinger to start the season with Ryu and McCarthy to replace whichever the injured or ineffective is most likely.
ehhhhh f it.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#85 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:55 am

Neddy wrote:but that's just the thing. Andrew and Co. are trying to win it now while planning for a sustainable future. we are not selling our prospects to go "all in" the way Ned Colletti would do, or Dave Dombrowski would do. that strategy is like being on a stimulant drug, it will crash eventually and crash hard. I don't want to be the Tigers who tried for several years just to rebuild from the bottom up after years of failure. I like what we are doing right now, keeping the farm replenished and healthy via way of absorbing a ton of bad short term contracts other teams want to dump, at the same time stock up on talent and depth on the major league club.

For the most part, I agree, but I think it's alot easier to do as a big market franchise which is what the Dodgers are operating under. You go all in now, realize you still have time to rebuild that farm system. Sign international players over slot, continuously do good scouting.

for the WhiteSox, it makes no sense to dump Sale while taking on Crawford's contract. Im sure they want to shed salary while gaining prospects and they would do the deal in a heartbeat if Seager and Pederson were involved, but I personally think that is also not the best, productive way to go. those two players you mentioned have much higher ceilings than Dee Gordon and Sales although a great pitcher, is not better than Greinke or Price we can simply buy without giving up any young talent.

For the White Sox, it makes perfect sense. They can't develop positional talent. I think the last great hitter they developed fully in their farm system was Carlos Lee or Magglio Ordonez. Everyone else was an international signing, a fa signing or had in a trade. At this point in time, they are so far away as well. The only thing they have developed consistently over the years are pitchers. They need everyday players outside of 1B and maybe 1 OF spot with Abreu and Eaton. Right now, they're not going to compete. They have to take advantage of teams like the Red Sox that are going for it. And if that means eating salary, I'm sure they'll do it. Are the Dodgers one of those teams? I think so if they plan on going after Price with Greinke, but only time will tell.

And Sale is better than Greinke, much younger and still under control until 2018/2019.

I like your thinking in terms of stacking up on the talents on both ends of the rotation and the lineup, but because we are building talents from the farm who comes cheap, we can afford to take a gamble with expensive pitchers on the wrong side of the 30s. by the time Greinke and possibly Price are pulling their best act of Mike Hampton, we would have De Leon, Urias, and Walker ready for the major league club at a half a million each. as long as dead money players such as Crawford are gone from our payroll, we can significantly lower the payroll from where it is right now and still be on the hook for 90 million of Kershaw/Greinke/Price as any one of them or even all of them can crap out in the near future. we all know investing into a long, expensive contracts to a pitcher is a bad idea anyways, but until we can bring up the young arms to replace them and it will take 2 to 3 years minimum to do it, we will have to bite the bullet and pay up if we want to win it all.

Well we just came up with an example in terms of how to avoid giving such a large deal to an older Greinke which is sure to blow up in 3 years max. Go the trade route. Even if you don't like Sale, there is also Julio Tehran who's supposedly available.

having said all this, although I still believe for the short term it is emphatically important to bring back Zack, but in contrary for the long run, it may be a better deal to let him walk and sign Price and Possibly Cueto. letting Geinke go would bring us a compensation pick and that would be a top 40 pick. neither Price nor Cueto costs us a pick. that pick we would gain will surely come from our rivals. that in terms of the big picture, could be a win-win.

I would stay far away from Cueto. I would re-sign Greinke if he's willing to sign a 4 year deal. Hell I'd do 4 years - 25 million. Anything over that, I'd say see you later and sign hitters.

but what is most realistic will surely be a signing of one of Greinke/Price and after all these innuendos and gesturing, I believe our actual #1 target is Price over Greinke..

Kershaw/Price//Anderson/Wood/Bolsinger to start the season with Ryu and McCarthy to replace whichever the injured or ineffective is most likely.

Not a huge fan of having two lefties in a row as your 1 and 2. Also, what would the plan be for obtaining hitting? Because that lineup is not going to continue to work.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#86 » by Neddy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:
Neddy wrote:but that's just the thing. Andrew and Co. are trying to win it now while planning for a sustainable future. we are not selling our prospects to go "all in" the way Ned Colletti would do, or Dave Dombrowski would do. that strategy is like being on a stimulant drug, it will crash eventually and crash hard. I don't want to be the Tigers who tried for several years just to rebuild from the bottom up after years of failure. I like what we are doing right now, keeping the farm replenished and healthy via way of absorbing a ton of bad short term contracts other teams want to dump, at the same time stock up on talent and depth on the major league club.

For the most part, I agree, but I think it's alot easier to do as a big market franchise which is what the Dodgers are operating under. You go all in now, realize you still have time to rebuild that farm system. Sign international players over slot, continuously do good scouting.

For the White Sox, it makes perfect sense. They can't develop positional talent. I think the last great hitter they developed fully in their farm system was Carlos Lee or Magglio Ordonez. Everyone else was an international signing, a fa signing or had in a trade. At this point in time, they are so far away as well. The only thing they have developed consistently over the years are pitchers. They need everyday players outside of 1B and maybe 1 OF spot with Abreu and Eaton. Right now, they're not going to compete. They have to take advantage of teams like the Red Sox that are going for it. And if that means eating salary, I'm sure they'll do it. Are the Dodgers one of those teams? I think so if they plan on going after Price with Greinke, but only time will tell.

And Sale is better than Greinke, much younger and still under control until 2018/2019.

Well we just came up with an example in terms of how to avoid giving such a large deal to an older Greinke which is sure to blow up in 3 years max. Go the trade route. Even if you don't like Sale, there is also Julio Tehran who's supposedly available.

I would stay far away from Cueto. I would re-sign Greinke if he's willing to sign a 4 year deal. Hell I'd do 4 years - 25 million. Anything over that, I'd say see you later and sign hitters.

Not a huge fan of having two lefties in a row as your 1 and 2. Also, what would the plan be for obtaining hitting? Because that lineup is not going to continue to work.

first of all, not sure being a big market team really helps you for international scouting. all the teams in the MLB have the exactly the same amount of money we can allocate. overspending now just means whomever the team that does it will be strapped for cash later on. only thing we can as a big market team can splurge on is at the free agent market.

secondly, it makes no sense that a particular team has no ability to groom a position player versus a pitcher. the GMs and his scouts for the White Sox today are not the same people who drafted Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Lee. to blame an entire franchise for being inept to develop position players is as ludicrous as say, that dodgers have been unable to develop a base runner since Jackie Robinson because we have not been able to produce anyone to steal home since the 50's.

thirdly, Sales is not better than Greinke. Sales posted 1.088 WHIP last season while Greinke sported 0.844 WHIP. that's a significant separation despite Greinke leading the league in BABIP which screams luck.

I don't challenge your assumption that Greinke is too old to be effective for the duration of his contract. in fact, I second it. I only defer that we can absorb Zack's bad years and we should gear up for win now strategy while we are not giving up our farm and its future. yeah I know it will be a terrible idea to keep Kershaw-Greinke-Price from say, three years from today, but hell, by then we can keep the dead weight 90 mil per season while keeping the payroll below 200.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#87 » by Neddy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:19 am

just for my curiosity, if you guys are open to trading away Gonzo for a younger 1B, how about Joey Votto over Freddie? Reds are making everyone available including Votto. IF we are gonna be eating a half of Gonzo's salary to dump him for a younger 1B, I prefer Joey over Freddie. pay a half of his remainging salary and we can dump him to a a team like the Pirates, and we can give one and the buccs can give another top tier level prospect to pry Joey off the Reds roster.

not that it is realistic, but just saying IF Freddie is whom we are going for, might as well be an actual improvement and not just an improvement on age.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,660

Post#88 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:35 am

Joey is only a year younger than A-Gon and his deal has him inked past his age 40 season.

Ownership has stated that we're going to keep payroll around $200 million this year.
If Greinke gets re-signed, we might see some people going out of the door.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dodgers Reportedly Interested in McGee and/or Boxberger 

Post#89 » by Ranma » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Reliever wish list:

Aroldis
Ken Giles
Carter Capps
Jake McGee (you sold me here Ranma)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/666255503861948416[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Post#90 » by Neddy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:14 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Joey is only a year younger than A-Gon and his deal has him inked past his age 40 season.

Ownership has stated that we're going to keep payroll around $200 million this year.
If Greinke gets re-signed, we might see some people going out of the door.

Jesus effing Christ!!!! boy am I getting that old already where Joey Votto is already 32? I was still thinking Joey is just a couple of years older than Freeman. Good looking out! I totally blew that one. Jeez It seems like just yesterday when Piazza was still donning Dodger Blue and Peter O'Malley was our owner and yet that was 1998, and back then I was living in SF and walking proudly with my dodger cap on getting all kinds of nice welcomes from the local Giant fans with words that is closely related to a particular finger often.
anywho, that's before my kids or even getting married. I can't believe I am hearing about Mark Buerhle considering retirement when I clearly remember him being a rookie sensation before the 9/11.

back to topic tho, I am all 100% behind getting Jake McGee. Boxberger would be nice too but I wonder what the going rate would be for the reigning AL save leader.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#91 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm

Im more concerned with our commitment to keep payroll around $200 million.

this means somebody is probably going to be traded.
or Greinke is not coming back.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#92 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Job down to Gabe Kapler and Dave Roberts as per the Bleacher Report App notification sent to my phone.

Notification says Bud Black is out of the mix as well.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#93 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:18 pm

decision should come Friday or Saturday.

this is from Jerry Crasnick's twitter.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 38m38 minutes ago
#Dodgers are doing 2nd interviews with managerial finalists and plan to make a decision by Friday or Saturday, sources say.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 23m23 minutes ago
Indications are #Dodgers manager job will come down to Gabe Kapler and Dave Roberts. Bud Black appears to be out of the mix.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#94 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Ranma
RealGM

Roenicke to Anaheim 

Post#95 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:56 pm

With Wallach earmarked for Mattingly in Miami, Roenicke is now officially part of the exodus heading south to Anaheim.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LAAngelsPR/status/667078818285285376[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Post#96 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:32 am

meh. I don't feel butt hurt about losing RonRon.

so I see it has come down to Dave Roberts and Gabe Kapler. I say Gabe will be the manager and Dave the bench coach. I have no problem with that. I welcome a manager who is young enough to relate to the players while having a complete understanding of SABR. Dave will serve well to be the rock and the gravity while the decision maker is someone fluid and flexible enough to welcome many ideas. I am certain if those two are the manager-bench coach regardless the actual order, he will be fine.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#97 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:05 am

looks like we're in talks with the Indians for a pitcher as well.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 9h9 hours ago
#BlueJays, #Dodgers, #Yankees among the teams to have at least preliminary trade talks with #Indians, sources say. (1/2)

For each of 3 teams mentioned, #Indians would obtain everyday OF and part with a starting pitcher. Many scenarios in play for CLE. (2/2)

Puig for Carrasco?
Ranma
RealGM

Blips on the Dodgers' Radar 

Post#98 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:40 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/667318272811929600[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/667428560920014849[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/667431413373911040[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/status/667437613452763136[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/667437431340314624[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/667150270674001920[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#99 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Kershaw wants Puig out?

Apparently Andy Van Slyke has spread this around on MLB Network today.
Well, now that it's out, take a little bit more value away from Yasiel's already dwindling value.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#100 » by Neddy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:10 am

Quake Griffin wrote:looks like we're in talks with the Indians for a pitcher as well.

#BlueJays, #Dodgers, #Yankees among the teams to have at least preliminary trade talks with #Indians, sources say. (1/2)

For each of 3 teams mentioned, #Indians would obtain everyday OF and part with a starting pitcher. Many scenarios in play for CLE. (2/2)

Puig for Carrasco?

I second this. if we are gonna sell Puig low, Carlos Carrasco is a great choice. from top of my head I remember he had something around 1.01 WHIP and 2.7 ish FIP. he is 28, team controlled, team friendly contract, and a RHP.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers