ImageImageImageImageImage

dodgers win the bid on south korean south paw

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

dodgers win the bid on south korean south paw 

Post#1 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:42 pm

25.7 million posting fee won dodgers a dynamite ace of south korea ryu hyun-jin.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersno ... 4676.story

25 year old southpaw has won ROY and MVP in same season, 5 time strike out leader for the typically offensively inept, perennial losers hanwha eagles. career ERA around mid 2, he comes to MLB with low 90s fastball, curve, slider and devastating changeup.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il0VQDlExrM[/youtube]

this is where i first saw him a few years ago during WBC

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hXgYXhL3d4[/youtube]

fully expect him to perform a notch better than current oriole pitcher wei-yin chen.
ehhhhh f it.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Re: dodgers win the bid on south korean south paw 

Post#2 » by TNBT » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 am

I honestly know nothing about this guy, but I'm glad that one of my teams got to land such a highly-coveted prospect. What sort of success rate have pitchers from Asian leagues had when coming to the Majors? Is he likely to be a star? Or are the chances that he will just be a role-player?
Neddy
RealGM

Post#3 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:50 am

asian league pitchers who found success in MLB

hideo nomo
kazuhiro sasaki
hiroki kuroda
takahashi saito
shigetoshi hasagawa
wei-yin chen
yu darvish

moderately successful

kazuhisa ishii
tomokazu ohka
dae sung koo
matsuzaka

down right bombed

kei igawa
hideki irabu----rip
masao kida
koji uehara

drafted out of asian high school/college to MLB

chan ho park
cha sung baek
Bung-hyun kim
sunny kim
jae woo seo

so yeah, there are plenty of asian players of success, and failure here in the states.

i would rate ryu closer to the elite among this list than not. he has guts, stuff, and intelligence. what he doesn't have, is info regarding US hitters and i fully expect AJ Ellis to take care of that issue. i have watched him for the last few years sparingly, but this year i kept a close eye on him and his eagles because i've been a fan of chan ho park since his rookie year and he signed with the eagles for this last season after his debacle in japanese league... stayed up 3 in the morning to watch them play on naver.com wasn't easy but now that he is coming over to my favorite baseball team on the planet i am pretty pumped.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 pm

It's a helluva lot of money for a crap-shoot, but I hope we scored with him.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM

Post#5 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Kilroy wrote:It's a helluva lot of money for a crap-shoot, but I hope we scored with him.

better pitcher than wei-yin chen for sure. you won't regret it.
i maybe biased as i have been ryu's fan for some time, but he is a true stud. when the eagles fired their manager and ended up hiring the old man kim from yesteryear's hai-tai tigers dynasty from the 80's, i didn't think ryu had a chance in hell to come to the stateside as the franchise had no reasons to hire this nearly 80 year old man to manage other than to win now, but not only the hanwah let him go but to win 25.7 million as the first ever korean league player to be posted, ryu is destined for great things ahead of him.

his change up reminds me of trevor hoffman, not a great deal of control for his big curve but he can really control his fastball to the both side of the plate. slider has become his strike out pitch this season along with curve, although he in his first 6 years used primarily his changeup as his go to pitch. this kid can pitch, period.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:27 pm

whats my best case and worst case scenario with this guy needy?

edit: huge dodger fan.
and I've been getting into the player development/ farm system side of my fansmenship for like the last 2 years....i know nothing about international players but i think it's time since ownership is going that way
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:08 am

sup Q, great to see ya here man

i have been following ryu for some time and never thought he would make it here at this time. being a 25 year old power lefty with great changeup, he may struggle initially as he gets to know his competition here in MLB but i fully expect 10 wins or more in his first season with ERA under 4.00.

the best case scenario : WHIP 1.20 ERA 3.00 15 wins or more with ROY potential

the worst case scenario : WHIP 1.40 ERA 4.25 15 losses or more and a long relief demotion.

i think the reality is somewhere in the middle.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 6, 2012 2:59 am

http://www.foxsportswest.com/12/04/12/D ... eedID=3707

the contract talk is getting on my nerve. as much as i love ryu he should have taken Chanho's advice and dropped Boras as his agent. recently chanho talked about regretting ever leaving the dodgers for the rangers when boras got him that huge contract he couldn't live up to, and here we are a decade or so later with another young fella biting on the poison pill bor@ss.

just sign the damn deal and get on board already.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#9 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 6, 2012 3:45 pm

if ned low-balled him on the offer I'm fine.

we have funds but i don't want to be reckless. if we gave him a fair deal, Boras would have asked for more anyway.
our payroll number is gonna be absolutely insane...we're gonna play the luxury tax out of the water. Something about about having that much money on my rotation leaves me uneasy.

25 for kersh
20-23.5 for Greinke
15 on beckett
7-9 on Ryu
Cap/Harang/Chad (who is making 10???)

im not a fan of the "pitcher's break" theory mark walter was talking about...but at that price, yes they do.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#10 » by haterade » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:34 pm

So if the Dodger's sign this guy, what happens to the rotation? What's up with the Greinke talks? Longtime Dodger fan but I have no idea regarding how the baseball offseason works.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#11 » by Neddy » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:31 pm

haterade wrote:So if the Dodger's sign this guy, what happens to the rotation? What's up with the Greinke talks? Longtime Dodger fan but I have no idea regarding how the baseball offseason works.

greinke looks like he won't be in dodger blue. the rotation IF we get ryu on board would look like

Kershaw
Billingsley (although i fully expect him to fall apart early and get tommyjohn done)
Beckett
Ryu
Harang/Capuano/Lilly (one will be traded, another will be the long man, and the other "surviver" takes on the 5th)

but i'm sure we will be trading for another starter if not sign anibal sanchez to fill up the middle of the rotation
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#12 » by Neddy » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:34 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:if ned low-balled him on the offer I'm fine.

we have funds but i don't want to be reckless. if we gave him a fair deal, Boras would have asked for more anyway.
our payroll number is gonna be absolutely insane...we're gonna play the luxury tax out of the water. Something about about having that much money on my rotation leaves me uneasy.

25 for kersh
20-23.5 for Greinke
15 on beckett
7-9 on Ryu
Cap/Harang/Chad (who is making 10???)

im not a fan of the "pitcher's break" theory mark walter was talking about...but at that price, yes they do.

although no specifics were reported, by looks of things Ned probably offered something like 25 million for 5 years, which i think is a low risk offer from the dodger brass and was rejected, and Borass' counter offer currently on the table is 3 years for 20-24 range.

i think they will settle for 4 years around 20-25.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#13 » by Neddy » Sat Dec 8, 2012 6:31 am

urgggg..... i am getting frustrated with Boras' tactics of negotiations and if the deal is going to be something like 60 million for 5 years, i much rather prefer that we tell boras to go shove it despite how much i love ryu. 26 mil in posting fee + what boras is asking is not worth it... in fact, i am so disappointed that he hired scott boras in the first place. this deal should have been completed a month ago when the bidding was won by the blue
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#14 » by Neddy » Sun Dec 9, 2012 10:05 pm

@Buster_ESPN #Dodgers and Ryu have verbal agreement. Ryu to take a physical in L.A. on Tuesday, press conference scheduled for Wednesday.
2:21pm - 9 Dec 12

oh HELL YEAH

the deal is supposedly for 35 mil, 5 years. good compromise.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#15 » by Neddy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:45 am

are we Americans this terrible at simple math?

Dodgers commit $61 million to Korean lefty Ryu Hyun-jin
Gabe Lacques, USA TODAY SportsShare
1 Comments
2012-12-10-ryuhyunjin

They struck an agreement on a six-year, 36 million contract with South Korean star pitcher Ryu Hyun-jin by Sunday's 5 p.m. ET deadline.

Combined with the $27.5 million posting fee, the Dodgers' commitment to Ryu will total $61.5 million.

The deal comes on the heels of the Dodgers reaching a six-year, $147 million agreement with Greinke on Saturday night. And it means the Dodgers have $98 million committed to eight starting pitchers in 2013.

The Dodgers made a multiyear contract offer to Ryu on Tuesday, but it was rejected by agent Scott Boras. "Predictably, it fell a tad short," general manager Ned Colletti told news reporters at the time.

Boras has projected Ryu as a No. 3 starter in the major leagues. Had they failed to strike a deal, the Eagles would have returned the $27.5 million posting fee to the Dodgers.

Ryu's deal also includes a $1 million bonus for winning the Cy Young Award, reports USA TODAY Sports' Bob Nightengale.

In seven seasons in the KOB, South Korea's top professional league, Ryu was 98-52 with a 2.80 ERA. Assuming he's major league-ready, Ryu gives the Dodgers eight potential starting pitchers, many of them pricey:

36 + 27.5 = 63.5, not 61.5. they obviously misprinted the posting fee as it was 25.7 and not 27.5. even then it should come to 36 + 25.7 =61.7.

and what the **** is KOB? it' KBO.

is there anyone left in America who can do a 2nd grade math without making an error, let alone a USA today writer? seriously? :o
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#16 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 6, 2013 3:05 am

ryu reported early to camp and have been spotted sporting "monster in LA" logo hoodie all over LA and Arizona. i love this kid's swagger.... in case people are not familiar, monster was one of his nicknames in KBO.

ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#17 » by Neddy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:43 am

with kershaw's disappointing performance last night and 4 game losing streak, i hope ryu can step up tomorrow and get us back in winning ways.

am i alone to think that ryu may end up with the most wins this season among dodger starters?
ehhhhh f it.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#18 » by pkiskool » Wed May 29, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm amazed by how non-active this forum is??
Ryu's surpassing everyone's expectation and should be talked about heavily!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#19 » by Quake Griffin » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 pm

pkiskool wrote:im amazed how Quake and Neddy are loyal to this forum even though no one else is!

fixed*
Neddy
RealGM

Post#20 » by Neddy » Thu May 30, 2013 2:17 am

haha
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers