ImageImageImageImageImage

the cost of David Price?

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

the cost of David Price? 

Post#1 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:14 am

i keep reading about how our beloved Dodgers are the leading candidate to win the David Price sweepstake, and that the Tampa bay Rays are interested in our prospects. knowing that they were able to swindle Will Myers out of James Shields, I would think the asking price of David would start at Urias, Joc, and Lee. they might as well be asking for Seager, but knowing that a 3rd base is the hardest spot to fill in baseball, I doubt the dodger brass would be willing to depart with him, although with Ned, you just never know.

for me personally, Urias is untouchable, as his ceiling equals Pedro Martinez and we have already made that mistake once.

I would offer a package around Lee and Anderson, as Lee appears to have figured out in the minors and major ready, and Anderson is a recent first rounder. I wish we can add one of our glut of outfield, but the TBR isn't an organization that can take a 8 digit salaries. Lee, Anderson, and Van Slyke?

as much as I love SVS, he has no spot available in the outfield, and Gonzo i believe is signed until 2018. Tampa would be a good place for him to showcase his abilities.

if it comes down to the package being Urias, Lee, and SVS? I think it becomes subjective to what we think Urias can become. i see Pedro, but someone else might see Ismael Valdez.

in the end, i would still pull the trigger to gain Price in his prime over the prospects we have. but that is also because i am dying to win it all. it's been a long time since 1988. 26 years is a lifetime for some. just glad that I am old enough to actually remember 1988 in flesh and blood, my junior high years.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: the cost of David Price? 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 pm

since giving this a bit more thought, David Price probably won't be available for my original proposal of Lee, Anderson, and SVS.

but Cliff Lee is probably available for that package.

how about we eat a half of Crawford's salary and package him along with Zach Lee for Cliff Lee?

Price will surely be, pricey. I do not want to give up any of our top 3 prospects of Urias, Joc, and Seager.
ehhhhh f it.
Indy2LA
Junior
And1: 271

Post#3 » by Indy2LA » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:48 am

Neddy wrote:since giving this a bit more thought, David Price probably won't be available for my original proposal of Lee, Anderson, and SVS.

but Cliff Lee is probably available for that package.

how about we eat a half of Crawford's salary and package him along with Zach Lee for Cliff Lee?

Price will surely be, pricey. I do not want to give up any of our top 3 prospects of Urias, Joc, and Seager.

The problem is that it would definitely take Seager or Joc. How about Matt Kemp + Urias? Or Crawford + Urias and eat some of Carl's contract like you suggested. There is no way in hell we can get Price for a package not involving one of the 3 prospects you mentioned. Not after Billy Beane traded both Addison Russell and Billy McKinley for Samardzija!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Neddy » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:49 am

sad to see Price go elsewhere, but glad we didn't cave in and gave up our trio of top prospects.

as for Billy Beane, he is willing to overpay for the championship this year. he understands more than anybody else that his teams have always been about tomorrow than today, and as a result that he never came close to winning it all. he is finally willing to give up tomorrow for today because they are desperate. we are not. we have the deep pocket to buy anyone we want to fill the need of today, but we are also looking out for the tomorrow whereas the A's could only afford one over the other.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers