ImageImageImageImageImage

the 2014 OffSeason Thread.

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: the 2014 OffSeason Thread. 

Post#161 » by Neddy » Sun Dec 7, 2014 8:44 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:And Ethier has the nerve to say he should start LOL... SMH. Do you guys think we should trade for Hamels or just sign Lester?

maybe he knew a trade was coming then got axed? I think it would have been a sweet deal to bring in Migeul Montero behind the plate, tho.

and Lester. simply because he doesn't have a qualifying offer attached to him.

I would like to bring in Hamels AND 1 year rental of Rollins for Kemp and Crawford but I no longer believe the Phillies are interested in adding on more salary. they want to dump salary and we need to dump at least 2 outfielders. so no go on that end.

besides, Lester is the better pitcher than Cole Hamels. Lester in NLW wold be a monster.
ehhhhh f it.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#162 » by Fresh360Waves » Sun Dec 7, 2014 11:01 pm

Neddy wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:And Ethier has the nerve to say he should start LOL... SMH. Do you guys think we should trade for Hamels or just sign Lester?

maybe he knew a trade was coming then got axed? I think it would have been a sweet deal to bring in Migeul Montero behind the plate, tho.

I would like to bring in Hamels AND 1 year rental of Rollins for Kemp and Crawford but I no longer believe the Phillies are interested in adding on more salary. they want to dump salary and we need to dump at least 2 outfielders. so no go on that end.

besides, Lester is the better pitcher than Cole Hamels. Lester in NLW wold be a monster.

Good point and Lester is good insurance in case Greinke opts out... and what would it take to acquire Miguel Montero? I'm sure the D'Backs are interested in pitching so the Dodgers could offer someone like Lee who would have a better opportunity to become a starter in AZ.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#163 » by Neddy » Sun Dec 7, 2014 11:58 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:
Neddy wrote:

Good point and Lester is good insurance in case Greinke opts out... and what would it take to acquire Miguel Montero? I'm sure the D'Backs are interested in pitching so the Dodgers could offer someone like Lee who would have a better opportunity to become a starter in AZ.

the funny thing is, Montero is owed 12 million next season and 14 each for the remaining two after that. so his contract isn't exactly slim compared to Ethier especially when the dodgers were going to eat some $$$ to make the deal equal in terms of the money. I have to believe that either the ownership of the Dirtbags are interested in shedding salary, which is understandable, or enamored with Montero going forward.

IF they are interested in shedding salary, I wonder if Tim Federowitz and Zach Lee would be enough to bring in Montero. but if they are in love with Miguel, there is nothing we can do that can help us to bring in Montero. they will ask for a kings random as we are doing with Kemp, which makes me to believe we are going to keep Kemp.
ehhhhh f it.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#164 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Dec 8, 2014 8:27 am

Neddy wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:
Neddy wrote:

the funny thing is, Montero is owed 12 million next season and 14 each for the remaining two after that. so his contract isn't exactly slim compared to Ethier especially when the dodgers were going to eat some $$$ to make the deal equal in terms of the money. I have to believe that either the ownership of the Dirtbags are interested in shedding salary, which is understandable, or enamored with Montero going forward.

IF they are interested in shedding salary, I wonder if Tim Federowitz and Zach Lee would be enough to bring in Montero. but if they are in love with Miguel, there is nothing we can do that can help us to bring in Montero. they will ask for a kings random as we are doing with Kemp, which makes me to believe we are going to keep Kemp.

Yeah and apparently ARZ turned down an Ethier/Federowicz for Montero deal already. Would signing a catcher like Geovany Soto to a minor league deal be good? Or would OAK be willing to deal either Vogt, Norris, or Jaso?
Neddy
RealGM

Post#165 » by Neddy » Tue Dec 9, 2014 2:18 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:

Yeah and apparently ARZ turned down an Ethier/Federowicz for Montero deal already. Would signing a catcher like Geovany Soto to a minor league deal be good? Or would OAK be willing to deal either Vogt, Norris, or Jaso?

I would wait until the winter meeting is over to think we are deviating from how it appears.

we gave a contract to AJ so he is at this moment, coming back by the grace of his BBF Kershaw.
we DFA Butera and brought in Lavarnway, and still have Tim Fed so we have a back up in one of them.

I do wonder tho, if our FO is cooking up a trade for all 3 high salary vets and plan to use SVS everyday along with Joc and Puig. then it would make sense for trading earlier for a defensive OFer and Lavernway as a pinch hitter and a backup C/1B. it seems we are either building a trade chips or our bench.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#166 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:46 am

Drew Butera is now an Angel. at least we got some cash consideration back, whatever that means.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#167 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:04 am

after reading all the reports about how the dodgers are now out of Lester after SF announced they are not a finalist of Lester's destination, I have a gut feeling that our FO simply played a real wise game of poker to knock SF off of Jon Lester derby. now that he is out of the divisional rivalry, we wisely backed off to let the cubbies and sox duke it out. I think Lester wears the Cubbie Pin stripe. he would find the highest bid from the GM who trusted him to be the man in Boston in the first place, Theo Eptstein.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#168 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:37 am

Neddy wrote:after reading all the reports about how the dodgers are now out of Lester after SF announced they are not a finalist of Lester's destination, I have a gut feeling that our FO simply played a real wise game of poker to knock SF off of Jon Lester derby. now that he is out of the divisional rivalry, we wisely backed off to let the cubbies and sox duke it out. I think Lester wears the Cubbie Pin stripe. he would find the highest bid from the GM who trusted him to be the man in Boston in the first place, Theo Eptstein.

i had him going with his boy theo too after this.

we can still win the offseason with a scherzer signing.
I'M SOOOOO GLAD Lester set the market at 6 years so Scherzer can't use 7 as leverage.

6/145-150 should do it.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#169 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:43 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:after reading all the reports about how the dodgers are now out of Lester after SF announced they are not a finalist of Lester's destination, I have a gut feeling that our FO simply played a real wise game of poker to knock SF off of Jon Lester derby. now that he is out of the divisional rivalry, we wisely backed off to let the cubbies and sox duke it out. I think Lester wears the Cubbie Pin stripe. he would find the highest bid from the GM who trusted him to be the man in Boston in the first place, Theo Eptstein.

i had him going with his boy theo too after this.

we can still win the offseason with a scherzer signing.
I'M SOOOOO GLAD Lester set the market at 6 years so Scherzer can't use 7 as leverage.

6/145-150 should do it.

one thing about Max, is that he has just turned 30. with a 6 year contract, he will only be a few months older than Zach Greinke if Greinke would not opt out and finish out his given contract with us. it is really not much of a loss. in fact, knowing how much Max is currently superior to Zach, this just maybe a gain.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#170 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:21 am

some great moves today man.

i like where Friedman and Co. are going
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#171 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:23 am

Quake Griffin wrote:some great moves today man.

I told you, just trust in these guys.

as I wanted, we got Rollins to fill in at SS but more than anything, we just robbed the Bank of Miami blind.

hidden behind all the flash of stolen bases, Gordon is only a .704 OPS guy who plays not so steady defense up the middle.

and WE GOT HEANEY!!!!!!!!!!!! my GOD we robbed the golden child, the next Kershaw. this potentially means we maybe moving Urias in a package elsewhere tho. hopefully that doesn't happen.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#172 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:30 am

Neddy wrote:

as I wanted, we got Rollins to fill in at SS but more than anything, we just robbed the Bank of Miami blind.

hidden behind all the flash of stolen bases, Gordon is only a .704 OPS guy who plays not so steady defense up the middle.

and WE GOT HEANEY!!!!!!!!!!!! my GOD we robbed the golden child, the next Kershaw. this potentially means we maybe moving Urias in a package elsewhere tho. hopefully that doesn't happen.

thats what surprised me even more.

we have Kershaw and Ryu. theyre young.
and we have Julio Urias.

we needed another LHP?
im assuming they know something we don't.

now….bring me home Kemp for Kinsler or Howie Kendrick and a catcher and i'll rest easy.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#173 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:33 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

thats what surprised me even more.

we have Kershaw and Ryu. theyre young.
and we have Julio Urias.

we needed another LHP?
im assuming they know something we don't.

now….bring me home Kemp for Kinsler or Howie Kendrick and a catcher and i'll rest easy.

it's simple. there is a power outage among right handed hitters. most sluggers we face are lefties. and pitchers always carry an injury concern, so overlapping pitching is not a bad thing.

also, I get this gut feeling that the new regime is not as impressed with small framed Urias and he is getting packaged along with Kemp to facilitate a huge trade.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#174 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:14 am

thoughts on us signing Brandon McCarthy?

i don't like him.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#175 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:50 am

Quake Griffin wrote:thoughts on us signing Brandon McCarthy?

i don't like him.

I dunno how much it is for. depending on the price tag this could make it a good deal for #4 or #5 starter or a bad deal. but knowing that Andrew and Co walked away from Panda and Lester wisely, Im cautiously optimistic we signed him for what he is worth or less.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#176 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:52 am

Neddy wrote:

i don't like him.

I dunno how much it is for. depending on the price tag this could make it a good deal for #4 or #5 starter or a bad deal. but knowing that Andrew and Co walked away from Panda and Lester wisely, Im cautiously optimistic we signed him for what he is worth or less.

bruh

we got howie kendrick.

i have no idea why we flipped Heaney for him.
there must be a flaw in that kid even though he's highly touted.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#177 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:09 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

i don't like him.

bruh

we got howie kendrick.

i have no idea why we flipped Heaney for him.
there must be a flaw in that kid even though he's highly touted.

possibly.

but more importantly, now look at our lineup as of today

we have Rollins and Kendrick as double play combo. and presumably Joc manning the center.

we got want we wanted, a strong defense up the middle.

1. S SS Rollins
2. R 2B Kendrick
3. R RF Puig
4. L 1B Gonzo
5. R LF SVS (please :pray: :pray: :pray: )
6. L CF Joc
7. R 3B Uribe
8. R C Ellis

with

Kershaw
Greinke
Ryu
McCarthy
?

looks like there is another pitcher coming in with that "blockbuster trade" involving Kemp. Besides of Grandal, we maybe asking the friars Tyson Ross. that maybe what is holding up the deal for now.

Kershaw-Greinke-Ryu-Ross-McCarthy would be pretty damn amazing in its own right.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#178 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:21 am

our infield D is elite.

im so juiced….come on pitchers and catchers….report please.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#179 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:21 am

i can see some droughts in that lineup.

but we should be able to make due.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#180 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:29 am

Quake Griffin wrote:i can see some droughts in that lineup.

but we should be able to make due.

if our pitching rotation do end up being Kershaw-Greinki- Ryu-Ross(from possible SD trade for Kemp)-McCarthy, with Jenseon closing and JP+Peralta+Paco as set up men, we don't need as much offense as we need defense.

I see a 100 win season if we can consummate Tyson Ross+grandal trade.

then our lineup improves to

Rollins
Kendrick
Puig
Gonzo
SVS
Joc
Uribe
Grandal

or possibly

Kendrick
Puig
Gonzo
SVS
Uribe
Joc
Rollins
Grandal.

really, not bad. consider the OBP of the top of the lineup.

Kendrick at .347
Puig at .386
Gonzo at .335 last year
SVS at .386

that is pretty good and a ton of base runners.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers