ImageImageImageImageImage

the 2014 OffSeason Thread.

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: the 2014 OffSeason Thread. 

Post#181 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:36 am

I know Friedman is the master of trades.

I'm now interested in seeing who he invests in long term.
In Tampa he invested in Longoria…and he never had to make that kind of judgment call because Tampa couldn't afford it.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#182 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I know Friedman is the master of trades.

I'm now interested in seeing who he invests in long term.
In Tampa he invested in Longoria…and he never had to make that kind of judgment call because Tampa couldn't afford it.

among the everyday players we do have in the lineup currently? nobody.

it will be Seager or Joc, or both. but that is some ways down the road.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#183 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:47 am

there's still pitching out there that can be invested in long term.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#184 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I wanted Tyson Ross in a deal for Kemp.

we gave them some money for Kemp and didn't even include another OF.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#185 » by Fresh360Waves » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I wanted Tyson Ross in a deal for Kemp.

They must be sold on Joc or if Joc isn't quite ready, they can always start Ethier in center.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#186 » by Neddy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:31 am

fear not, the latest on Rollins deal is that the dodgers are delaying the announcement of the trade because they are working on even bigger deal to include Cole Hamels. one of the OF is probably included in that deal.

everything we have talked about are becoming reality. this is very exciting to finally have a SABR savvy front office to navigate us to our first WS since 88.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#187 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:18 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:

They must be sold on Joc or if Joc isn't quite ready, they can always start Ethier in center.

my bad….i meant one of the bad contract OFs.

Joc is my boy.
we grew up together (I'm kidding).

he stays. Logan White endorses his defense…so I want him in center.
I think his hit tool is going to come around.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#188 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:20 am

Neddy wrote:

fear not, the latest on Rollins deal is that the dodgers are delaying the announcement of the trade because they are working on even bigger deal to include Cole Hamels. one of the OF is probably included in that deal.

everything we have talked about are becoming reality. this is very exciting to finally have a SABR savvy front office to navigate us to our first WS since 88.

link me.

I kept hearing last night on MLB Network that Cole wouldn't be a part of the deal and that going after him would be separate.

so I moved on.
but if we didn't move on and we are going after Hamels.
HNNNNNNGGGGHHHH….so much want.

RIP Prospects.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#189 » by Neddy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:42 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

link me.

I kept hearing last night on MLB Network that Cole wouldn't be a part of the deal and that going after him would be separate.

so I moved on.
but if we didn't move on and we are going after Hamels.
HNNNNNNGGGGHHHH….so much want.

RIP Prospects.

lol I dunno how much it can help you as it is in different language but this site has been right about dodgers just about 90% of the time so here you go

http://sports.news.naver.com/sports/ind ... 0000207933

maybe try google translator?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#190 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:45 am

just realized Cole is going to be 31 years old.

I'm scared of having two guys pitch on deals like that over the age of 30 years old.
but his deal is up when he's 35…so…and I think greinke's would be too if he opted in.

maybe 35 isn't that old.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#191 » by Neddy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:49 am

Quake Griffin wrote:just realized Cole is going to be 31 years old.

I'm scared of having two guys pitch on deals like that over the age of 30 years old.
but his deal is up when he's 35…so…and I think greinke's would be too if he opted in.

maybe 35 isn't that old.

****, I am turning 40 in less than 40 days. 35 is young if you asked me.
ehhhhh f it.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#192 » by Fresh360Waves » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:28 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:

my bad….i meant one of the bad contract OFs.

Joc is my boy.
we grew up together (I'm kidding).

he stays. Logan White endorses his defense…so I want him in center.
I think his hit tool is going to come around.

Yeah I think it is unfair to say he can't hit after seeing such a small sample size back in Sept. I hope they are exploring trades for Ethier.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#193 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:09 am

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/could- ... -mesoraco/
nice write up on Grandal while the season was still going on….so no bias related towards the deal.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#194 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:27 am

what in the blue hell?

The Diamondbacks offered us Archie Bradley for Matt Kemp and we said no.

alright man.
I'm just gon sit back and let these cats work. They know more than I do. If Archie turns out to be a stud, I'm going urban hang gliding.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: the 2014 OffSeason Threa 

Post#195 » by Neddy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:08 am

Quake Griffin wrote:what in the blue hell?

The Diamondbacks offered us Archie Bradley for Matt Kemp and we said no.

alright man.
I'm just gon sit back and let these cats work. They know more than I do. If Archie turns out to be a stud, I'm going urban hang gliding.

why would you want Archie Bradley?

he ended up with 1.562 WHIP last year at AAA and 1..482 at AA. even started at rookie level for one game and got 1.500 WHIP for that game, which got his annual WHIP for 2014 at 1.506. that is worse than Fife.

even when Archie was looking good, his SO/BB ratio was never that good minus that 5 games he started for A+ in 2013.

he is a fool's gold.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#196 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:14 am

Still…the proposal of Kemp for Pollack makes me think Friedman and Zaidi aren't that big on Joc.

now i feel like he's going to get dealt before the year starts or during the year.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#197 » by Neddy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:45 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Still…the proposal of Kemp for Pollack makes me think Friedman and Zaidi aren't that big on Joc.

now i feel like he's going to get dealt before the year starts or during the year.

to be 100% honest with you, I have always had some reservations of whether Joc's AAA numbers can translate to the bigs. Tim Federowtiz had similar numbers to Joc in AAA. I always hung on to him emotionally because his defense and the hope that he can reproduce 65% of his AAA numbers.

I do think that Joc has potential, and it could be high. but just like Urias, it could be a bust too.

the way I see it, if there is a clear and safe option to improve, I see no reason to veto on upgrade, but if there isn't a clear cut improvement, I don't see why we wouldn't hang on to these guys to take the leap of faith.

either way, I have complete trust in these guys to make the right decision. if it was Byrnes, I would be worried sick. if it was Friedman alone, I might have reservations. but between Zaini, Friedman, and Byrnes, we have an incredible depth of intelligence and knowledge as well as experience to formulate their logic and reasoning.

call me a true believer, but so far everything i had hoped for from SABR-metrics standpoint has been either contemplated or came into fruition. I have no reason whatsoever to question these guys.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#198 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:27 pm

I want to get a little better in our lineup…..but I gotta see Ethier and Craw gone before I ask to make another move.

what am i thinking?
Adrian Beltre. Same age as Juan…in the same stratosphere as a defender (though i think he graded lower last year according to fangraphs)…much better hitter….doesnt K.

We already have a relationship with them. We were on the phone with them for Kemp. They have a good operation with their farm system. They have Joey Gallo coming up at 3rd anyway. Maybe they'll take a nice farm arm from us for him.

edit:
it's amazing that we've made all these deals and still have all of the arms we drafted, Urias, Seager etc. etc.
I think we're in play for a block buster man. No way Friedman holds onto all those guys.

If so, he seems like he's working against Stan's build from within model….OR…He really just doesnt like the people we have down under.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#199 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am

Also….Ned.

do you have a number for where we are salary wise?
Neddy
RealGM

Post#200 » by Neddy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:51 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Also….Ned.

do you have a number for where we are salary wise?

I have no idea why I am still up in wee hours of sunday morning, but since i caught your post, here is the answer.

Kemp cost 21.25 mil per year
Haren had picked up his 10 million option
Gordon was arbitration eligible but was getting paid the league minimum at 1/2 mil
other guys had insignificant contracts.

our retirees or FAs who signed elsewhere, such as Beckett and Hanley, plus guys like Perez and Wright, is roughly about 40 million

73 million or so going out.

now for incoming,

Kendick 9.5
Rollins 11
McCarthy 12
grandol and others make minimum

so 33 or so coming in.

what Peralta makes gets offset by what Gordon's arbitration would have paid him.

we saved about 40 million? that should get us close to getting under the lux tax as the ownership wanted.

by the end of the next season we have

WIlson's 10
League's 9.5
Rollins' 11
Kendrick's 9.5
Greinke's possible op out at 23

so we potentially have 63 million dollars coming off the books and the relatively the same amount to throw at FAs and still be under the lux tax.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers