ImageImageImageImageImage

Friedman trades w/Reys: Peralta and Liberatore, Thoughts?

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Friedman trades w/Reys: Peralta and Liberatore, Thoughts? 

Post#1 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Neither one of these guys excite me. What do you guys think?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11912597/los-angeles-dodgers-go-familiar-well-get-joel-peralta-tampa-bay-rays

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers acquired veteran reliever Joel Peralta and minor league left-hander Adam Liberatore from the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday night in exchange for young right-handers Jose Dominguez and Greg Harris.

The move was the first major league trade under new Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, who spent 10 years in the Rays' front office.

Peralta, 38, pitched 69 games for the Rays last season, going 3-4 with a 4.41 ERA. In 10 seasons with five teams starting with the Los Angeles Angels, Peralta has a 3.92 ERA and 1.18 WHIP.

The Rays recently picked up a $2.5 million option on Peralta for 2015.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Friedman trades w/Reys: Peralta and Liberatore, Thoughts 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:17 am

despite his 100 mph fastball, I always thought dominguez was a limited player. sending his would be potential for a proven product is a good idea imo. its a relatively cheap deal and it gives us one more sure arm in the pen. Joel Peralta's stats will most likely go down across the board now that he is going from ALE to NLW. i project him as a setup man along with JP and when healthy, Withrow.

Adam Liberatore, on the other hand, is an insurance left arm with some ceiling left to go.
0.89 WHIP and .187 BAA at AAA last year tells me he can pitch in the bigs. I can see him competing with Paco for that second lefty spot in the pen.

Peralta is a right now move. I think Adam is a potential home run move, although his bust potential maybe greater. I'm pretty sure he was out of options and had to be removed one way or another.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Pretty good move.

Peralta has been pretty durable as of late in his career. I see him making a lot of appearances for us.
still feel like we need some heat coming out of the pen.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#4 » by Neddy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Pretty good move.

Peralta has been pretty durable as of late in his career. I see him making a lot of appearances for us.
still feel like we need some heat coming out of the pen.

yeah Peralta is a good move, for what we gave up, but I am actually quite fond of Adam in this deal. yeah he is a career minor leaguer at age 27 but you don't post the type of stats he did last season at AAA without talent and having things figured out. I think this kid may still have room to grow. sure his bust potential is high, even higher than Dominguez we just gave up, but if you look at his career minor league stats, there is a consistent trend. coming out of college at age 23 he was not considered a good prospect, but this kid has made improvements for the last 4 years and quite dramatically and for the better. his first year at low A ball he posted 1.600+ WHIP and got rocked. the next 2 years between high A ball to AAA, he posted about 1.300 WHIP. then the last two years he was about 1.000 and last season at AAA being 0.89.

I think this kid still has room to grow. his peak may not last very long as he is already 27, but scouting reports rave about his slider. what else do you really need for a spot relieving lefty out of bullpen other than a killer slider with a decent fastball?
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers