Ryu is Done Until Next Spring

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2015 season dodgers game thread 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Tue May 5, 2015 3:03 pm

Ryu 60 day DL.

I'm worried. We might have to make a deal.
good thing we've spent the offseason adding lots of depth to this team.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#2 » by Neddy » Sun May 10, 2015 12:37 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Our rotation is a cluster ****.
Looks like Frias and Wieland might just find homes here starting depending on how Ryu comes back. Still nervous about Ryu's shoulder. It hasn't been healthy in almost a calendar year. I know Ned. You said you're not worried. But I'm taking after my mother on this one and being a worrier. Maybe I just need to see him out there.

Anywho.
Kershaw going for win #100 in one of the toughest places to pitch.
Would be great for him to get that milestone today after the Milwaukee debacle.

well Ryu has never been out this long that I can remember other than his high school days with a TJS. I blame his winter training he did with his KBO bud and a former MLB player named Bong. I mean, how much real work out will you be doing with a bong next to you the whole time?

all jokes aside, his shoulder issue has been a chronic one and has always bounced back. even with his 82 mph fastball, he would be on the mound if he was still playing in KBO.

one suggestion that is a culture change for MLB is that injuries to pitchers are way too common here in the states than say, Japan or South Korea. both leagues have fire ballers, so saying the velocity those pitchers have to throw against their competition, doesn't necessarily hold up when Otani is throwing 161kph (=100.5 mph) and Oh at around 95-97 mph overseas. what both leagues have however, which also is what kept many pitchers off of the operating table, is the 6 men rotation pitching staff rather than USA's 5 men rotation. that extra day of rest goes a long way. this probably also means expanding the major league roster from 25 to say, 27.
of course one can make an argument of the yesteryear's 4 men rotation and how few needed surgery, but the average velocity of fastball back then is considerably lower, and 4 men rotation is what did in Koufax's career. ( and his over the top mechanics )

besides, there was no means of TJS untll TJ himself had to go through an experimental surgery. if today's surgical means were available to say, Satchel Paige, his arm trouble years where he coached rather than playing until his arm healed on its own after 3 years and was no where it once was, could have made a historical impact in the major league after the integration of baseball, rather than being the old, broken down has been who threw everything including the kitchen sink, who stuck around as a symbolic negro league star player who played into his late 40s as merely just an effective player rather than the dominant power pitching superstar he really was before the injury.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Wed May 20, 2015 12:34 am

Ryu to have surgery.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Ryu is Done Until Next Spring 

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Thu May 21, 2015 11:58 pm

what moves would you like to see made in response?

continue with the starting pitching from within?
Make a deal w/ one of our Ifs?
Make a blockbuster with one of our prospects?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Ryu is Done Until Next Spring 

Post#5 » by Neddy » Fri May 22, 2015 1:40 am

Quake Griffin wrote:what moves would you like to see made in response?

continue with the starting pitching from within?
Make a deal w/ one of our Ifs?
Make a blockbuster with one of our prospects?

isn't your boy Brandon Beachy just about to return to the bigs?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Ryu is Done Until Next Spring 

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Fri May 22, 2015 8:29 am

He's thrown some batting practice and a few bullpens.
Don Mattingly said his next move is up to medical….I'm reading that as, he's fine and it's on medical to allow him to take a rehab assignment.

We'll see. He's more of a 2016 thing for me. I don't want to bank on someone coming back from TJS this season.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers