Prospects and trade discussion

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Class A Power Display by Loons' Duo in Great Lakes 

Post#921 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:59 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Hand Apparently Available Before Deadline 

Post#922 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 4, 2017 9:57 am

While it did strike me as odd for Dave Roberts to say that every team would like Darvish implicitly including the Dodgers, I didn't think it would upset a "higherup" in the organization. Reading between the lines, I don't think it came from either Friedman, Zaidi or Anthopoulos, otherwise, I think "front office" would have been used but I could be wrong.

I get the impression that the "stern talking to" came from Stan Kasten or one of the Guggenheim principals. Personally, I think it came from Kasten since he either didn't want to put the organization in a position to be accused of tampering and was maybe already warned by MLB or that it might have hurt the Dodgers' leverage in negotiations with Texas. Since we acquired Darvish from the Rangers in a good deal, I'm guessing the concerns of tampering were what prompted the reprimand.

Now I'm curious what the Padres were willing to accept from the Dodgers if they wanted multiple prospects outside of our top 5 at the time. I'm going with MLB Pipeline's rankings since that seems to be the basis for what the Padres used to describe their trade demands. Outside of top 5 for the Dodgers at the time and pre-Calhoun trade would include Yusniel Diaz and Mitchell White. However, San Diego claimed the Padres were turned down when they proposed receiving 2 prospects ranked outside of the top 100 in exchange for Brad Hand. If that applied to the Dodgers as well, that would not include Diaz.

However, Heyman reports that Washington turned down the Padres' request for Carter Kieboom, who technically is outside of the current top 100 rankings but is also the Nationals' 4th best prospect in their system right now. This also plays into teams describing the Padres' asking price being too high, but San Diego claims it came close to completing a trade in 2 instances.

Anyway, getting back to what the Padres might have asked from the Dodgers after lowering their targeting sights, I think Mitchell White was included in their proposal, which would have also made it a non-starter for me as well. Rosenthal previously mentioned there being overlap in the offers the Dodgers made for Darvish and Britton, so I assume Calhoun was offered to both Texas and Baltimore, though I guess it could apply to Alexy and Davis as well but the latter set should be replaceable enough to not warrant concern from the Dodgers, which seemed to be implied at the time, while the same cannot be said of Calhoun.

Further, it is mentioned that the Dodgers opted for lower cost in prospects, which led to the Watson deal, so Cruz and German were obviously not enough. If it was just a matter of adding more of these types of prospects, I think the Dodgers would have pulled the trigger, which brings me back to San Diego likely drawing a hard line with White. I don't see the Padres having a need for Gavin Lux, but maybe Jordan Sheffield was asked for. San Diego also seems to be lacking a bit in catching prospects in its developmental system, so maybe Keibert Ruiz or Will Smith were also requested.

If the Padres were willing to accept Sheffield, Cruz and German for Hand, I think I would have pulled the trigger, but I don't get the sense that's what they had in mind. Something along the lines of Sheffield and White was probably the proposal, which would be a no-go for me. I think Sheffield, Ruiz, German and Cruz would have been the highest I would go but I'd draw the line if Smith was asked for even if it meant Sheffield and Smith for Hand.

In any case, I'm going to operate accepting that German and Cruz for Watson is a better proposition than White and Sheffield for Hand, which I suspect is what the Padres were holding out for after coming off from demanding Alex Verdugo initially.

Jon Heyman, FanRagSports.com (8/3/17)
Their consistently agreeable manager Dave Roberts, who has already locked up his second Manager of the Year award in two years, upset one of the higherups when he candidly told Bill Plaschke of the L.A. Times that “every team in baseball would like Yu Darvish.” It seemed obvious that’s true at the time, but apparently it was a little too forthcoming for one of the bosses, according to sources, and Roberts received what’s described as a stern talking to.

With the Dodgers, it seems San Diego was willing to take multiple guys outside their top five, but ultimately, L.A. opted for a lower cost (in terms of prospects) for Tony Watson instead.

MLBInside Baseball | Winners and Non-Winners from MLB Trade Deadline
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#923 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:09 pm

It was awkward reading it when he said it.

This organization has seemed to keep a lid on things. Even the diversity in the FO seems to function as a guard against them "tipping their pitches" so to speak...and this was a clear departure from it.

Plus the tampering component.

I wasnt thrilled reading it but whatever. Seems like a mistake he won't make again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

RHP Floro Claimed for AAA 

Post#924 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 4, 2017 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM

Prospects Primed for Postseason Run 

Post#925 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:13 pm

Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com (8/8/17)
1. Walker Buehler, RHP, Dodgers (13)
Buehler has now made four appearances since his promotion to Triple-A. Don't let the bad numbers overall there fool you, as the right-hander was very good in two starts after getting roughed up in his debut at the level. His last outing came in relief, perhaps a harbinger as his stuff could play well out of the Dodgers' bullpen down the stretch.

6. Alex Verdugo, OF, Dodgers (28)
Cody Bellinger is already up; is there room for Verdugo, too? Even after scuffling a bit after the All-Star break, the outfielder is hitting .316/.387/.430 and can play all three outfield positions. There may not be room, especially if Bellinger gets pushed back to the outfield, but Verdugo could be an interesting bat off the bench when rosters expand in September.

10 Prospects Who Could Help Contenders Down the Stretch

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#926 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Aug 8, 2017 7:06 pm

I'd like to see Verdugo come up when rosters expand and see if he can earn a spot on the bench for October.

I'd rather have him play well in September, earn that spot (long shot) than have Adrian Gonzalez whining about playing time.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Spots on the Postseason Roster 

Post#927 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:36 am

I'm leaning towards A-Gon for the postseason even though I'd rather have Bellinger at 1B. I like Neddy's idea about using him as a designated pinch-hitter. I'm more concerned about having Gonzalez on the team next year but I guess that can be sorted out in spring training.

However, your solution of Verdugo taking his spot makes things easier. I also don't want Ethier considered for the postseason at all. I was already sick of him during his last tantrum with Mattingly in the playoffs.
Ranma
RealGM

Urias on Progress of Recovery 

Post#928 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Best Tools and Manager in Class A-Advanced League 

Post#929 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

The Ike Davis Experiment 

Post#930 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Eric Longenhagen, FanGraphs.com (8/7/17)
Ike Davis, LHP, Los Angeles NL (Profile)
Level: Rookie AZL Age: 30 Org Rank: He’s 30 Top 100: It’s Ike Davis, guys.
Line: 1 IP, 3 K, 0 H, 0 BB

Notes
He’s not a prospect, but Davis was 88-92 last night and struck out the side in a perfect inning. Davis was a two-way player in college at Arizona State and last pitched as a pro in 2015, during which he made two appearances for Oakland. The Dodgers have frequently tried reclamation projects like this. They moved Stetson Allie — who looks like the pizza-eating stoner son of the cop from Stranger Things — back to the mound this year (he’s only thrown two innings but was up to 99 in the one that I saw) and tried Jordan Schafer as a pinch-running LOOGY. Eventually, one of these laboratory experiments will work out, if only for a brief while.

Daily Prospect Notes: 8/7
Ranma
RealGM

Buehler in Line for Big League Tryout 

Post#931 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#932 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Gavin Lux is coming around in the month of August?

Batting .362

Good even though he has disappointed this year overall.

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#933 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:47 pm

well, Ike is still a left handed pitcher. 90 mph average will be fine as long as he can locate them and have a decent slider to work with.

which brings me to the next topic, that Walker Buehler already comes with a plus fastball and a plus slider. but he isn't a lefty. we don't really have the need to start his major league clock. but I am highly intrigued. thinking he won't be the 8th inning guy, perhaps early inning guy in case of the starter not getting through the line up the 3rd time? working backwards, it seems

Jansen - Morrow - Baez - Walker?

can't imagine DR having Walker be the primary setup man with all these vets around.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#934 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Gavin Lux is coming around in the month of August?

Batting .362

hope he keeps it up, so we can package him in a trade.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#935 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Neddy wrote:

Batting .362

Like I was with Verdugo...

I hope if he "keeps it up" you will open up your heart to letting him make OUR major league roster.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Neddy
RealGM

Post#936 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

Batting .362

Like I was with Verdugo...

I hope if he "keeps it up" you will open up your heart to letting him make OUR major league roster.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

well yeah, but his path is seriously blocked. Seager is only 23, and will probably man the SS at least until Turner's contract is up. I suppose Lux in 5 years will only be as old as Seager is now, but I like Brito better among the young prospects at SS. I used to think Seager will have to move to third at some point in his career before the age of 32, but after seeing him in last couple of seasons, I am convinced he can play at SS for most of his career, well into his 30's. he surely ain't no Jeff Kent, Seager's got some good range, good hands, and quick reflex. not Cezar Izturis reflex, but good one still. **** and CT3 seems to have the inside track of being a reliable backup SS.

hey I think Alex will seriously challenge Joc by next year's spring training. Joc's got some issues with his bat and seems to regress each year, and his glove seems over-rated each and every day. now I am convinced also that Puig will make better CFer than Joc, although we probably shouldn't be placing a kid with Bo Jackson's body in charge of all flyballs and risk him to run into corner outfielders like they were Brian Bozworth.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#937 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:33 pm

How is he blocked?

He's a SS but we know for development purposes, being drafted as an SS can just mean a MI.
Taylor is better in LF.
Barnes' value is behind the plate.

Why can't he play 2nd?

Ranma
RealGM

Where Does Lux's Future Lie? 

Post#938 » by Ranma » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm

As you guys are aware, I'm optimistic of the Dodgers' chances in pursuing Manny Machado, so if that were to happen, that may limit Lux's chances even further. I think Taylor's best position is 2B, by the way, and, while I like Barnes at 2B as well, he's Grandal's eventual replacement at C.

I agree with Neddy that Brito is ahead Lux in terms of being the better SS prospect for the long-term right now, but Quake makes a good point about Lux moving to 2B even though I've started to think of him as trade bait as well lately. In any case, it's encouraging to see him start to show progress with his bat.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#939 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:51 pm

well? not gonna antagonize a family member.

if Lux works out and settles on 2nd, I will cheer for him.

I also am 100% supportive of Manny Machado. but I really don't know how we would accommodate him on the field. Turner is a great 3rd baseman, Seager's got the SS locked down. I don't believe Manny has ever played the 2nd base in the majors. Bellinger is our first baseman as soon as Gonzo is retired.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#940 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 pm

... and as for the outfield, Puig is our RF. his glove at least in my mind, made his place with the dodgers secure.

Alex Verdugo/Joc Pederson/Chris Taylor/****/Thompson seems to crowd the CF job.

if Gonzo is healthy for next season to play the first base, Bellinger's got the LF locked up.

at this point, I think Andrew Toles has to compete for the 4th or 5th OFer.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers