Lux???? at LF.

hows that, Quake?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#942 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Neddy wrote:... and as for the outfield, Puig is our RF. his glove at least in my mind, made his place with the dodgers secure.

Alex Verdugo/Joc Pederson/Chris Taylor/****/Thompson seems to crowd the CF job.

if Gonzo is healthy for next season to play the first base, Bellinger's got the LF locked up.

at this point, I think Andrew Toles has to compete for the 4th or 5th OFer.

Why not trade A-Gon at that point?

I'd cover the whole thing to get a prospect back. It's much better than paying for the whole thing, getting his 36 year old performance, and losing him for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#943 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Neddy wrote:well? not gonna antagonize a family member.

if Lux works out and settles on 2nd, I will cheer for him.

I also am 100% supportive of Manny Machado. but I really don't know how we would accommodate him on the field. Turner is a great 3rd baseman, Seager's got the SS locked down. I don't believe Manny has ever played the 2nd base in the majors. Bellinger is our first baseman as soon as Gonzo is retired.

I think that's all I ask. If he performs, just consider the idea he might fit on the roster.

It's kinda like when we'd say "don't sell low on Puig." It's like, well if he plays better there's actually a reason to keep him around.

On Manny. I'd shift the furniture around to accomodate him tbh:

Bye bye A-Gon.
Turner at 1st.
Belly in left.
Taylor better figure out 2nd.

When Turner's deal is up, Belly can have 1B to himself. It's weird. It's awkward. But I'd do it to get Manny Machado in the fold.

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#944 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:... and as for the outfield, Puig is our RF. his glove at least in my mind, made his place with the dodgers secure.

Alex Verdugo/Joc Pederson/Chris Taylor/****/Thompson seems to crowd the CF job.

if Gonzo is healthy for next season to play the first base, Bellinger's got the LF locked up.

at this point, I think Andrew Toles has to compete for the 4th or 5th OFer.

Why not trade A-Gon at that point?

I'd cover the whole thing to get a prospect back. It's much better than paying for the whole thing, getting his 36 year old performance, and losing him for nothing.

I don't think we could get a decent prospect back for Gonzo even if we eat his contact. but out of respect, if we are gonna trade him, we should send him down to SD so he can retire as a Padre.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Award-Winning Prospects 

Post#945 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Featured FanGraph's Prospects Summer Rankings 

Post#946 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 1, 2017 4:11 am

Eric Longenhagen, FanGraphs.com (8/16/17)
Los Angeles Dodgers (Preseason List)

1. Walker Buehler, RHP
2. Alex Verdugo, OF
3. Yadier Alvarez, RHP
4. Yusniel Diaz, OF
5. Jeren Kendall, OF
6. Mitch White, RHP
7. Starling Heredia, OF
8. Will Smith, C
9. Keibert Ruiz, C
10. Dustin May, RHP

Buehler might have an impact on the big club yet this season and, assuming he can stay healthy, has front-end upside as a full-time starter next year. He sits in the upper 90s with a plus curveball and cutter. Verdugo — verdugo is Spanish for “executioner,” by the way — profiles in right field but should do more than enough damage with the bat to profile there. He’s a potential plus-plus hitter and doubles machine. Yadier Alvarez hasn’t gotten any better but still generates easy upper-90s heat and flashes a plus slider. Heredia is too physical for the Pioneer League. He’s pulling everything and looks clumsy at times but has plus power and speed, the latter being quite incredible given his size.

Updated Top-10 Prospect Lists: NL West

FanGraphs' Summer Top-100 Prospects (8/17)
    17. Walker Buehler
    22. Alex Verdugo
    36. Yadier Alvarez
    97. Yusniel Diaz

Baseball America's Midseason Top 101 Prospects (7/7)
    17. Walker Buehler
    35. Alex Verdugo
    60. Yadier Alvarez

Current MLB Pipeline Top 100 (8/31)
    13. Walker Buehler
    28. Alex Verdugo
    51. Yadier Alvarez
    82. Jeren Kendall
    85. Yusniel Diaz
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers' 2017 Minor-League All-Stars 

Post#947 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 1, 2017 11:48 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm guessing Verdugo would have made an All-Star team if he wasn't called up and Buehler didn't pitch enough games due to injury to qualify. In any case, here is a summary of the Dodger prospects named to all-star teams in the minor leagues for 2017:

RHP Wilmer Font - Pacific Coast League (Pitcher of the Year)
    1B/3B Matt Beaty - Texas League (MVP)
    RHP Scott Barlow - Texas League
    1B Ibandel Isabel - California League
    OF D.J Peters - California League (MVP)
    LHP Caleb Ferguson - California League
    Manager John Shoemaker - Arizona League (Manager of the Year - tied)
Neddy
RealGM

Post#948 » by Neddy » Mon Sep 4, 2017 3:01 am

hey looks like a firesale of the decade is about to take place in Miami, again.

I know we like our young stars, but what do you guys think about grabbing Stanton/Yelich plus the international signing slot money for Alex Verdugo/Yadier Alvarez, plus if they want, Joc? Stanton will forever fix the right handed bat problem in the middle of the order, and Yellich is a far superior defender over anyone we have currently at CF.

1. R 2B Chris Taylor
2. L SS Corey Seager
3. R LF Mike Stanton
4. L 1B Cody Bellinger
5. R 3B Justin Turner
6. L CF Christian Yelich
7. R RF Yasiel Puig
8. S C Yasmani Grandal

this lineup will be devastating to opposing pitchers. hell, this entire lineup could be allstars.

of course, this is for the next season, and the international slot money will come handy when the young fella in Hokkaido finally jumps over. hopefully by mid season when our penalty time is over.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Trading for Stanton & Yelich 

Post#949 » by Ranma » Mon Sep 4, 2017 10:56 pm

I'm open to Neddy's trade proposal but only if the Marlins eat about a third of Stanton's contract. I don't mind losing any of the prospects cited in such a deal, but if they ask for Kendall or Buehler, then it's probably a no for me. I'll even throw Lux into the available mix.

However, I'm more interested in seeing what we do once Otani, Machado, and Harper are all available since I want to focus our resources on those three. A Stanton-Yelich package is more of a backup plan for me, but the Marlins will probably look to deal them sooner than that, though.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#950 » by Neddy » Tue Sep 5, 2017 7:43 pm

Otani's current team seems committed on selling off Shohei this winter. they are not bringing back their star 3rd baseman either, and rumors has it they will not resign their closer even. I thought the Hiroshima Carp was the only team that was a for-profit team with a parent company to finance through, but apparently their parent company the Nippon-Ham corp does not subsidize their team and the operational budget must be balanced day to day, year to year. with Otani's pay going up, they want to make their 20 million max transfer money and start over with cheap players. this has an implication of our ability to sign Otani as he will surely be posted and signed before our probation is over.

as for Machado or Harper, I think either is highly unlikely. Machado obviously will bolt as we all know Peter Angelos is a scumbag and won't pay to keep top players, but now with the emergence of Chris Taylor, we really have no place to put him. Cody is on first, already having displaced Gonzo. Seager on SS and Turner on 3B. we used to talk about moving Machado to second or move Seager over, but CT3 is our 2nd baseman going forward. he could play CF/LF, but now Alex Verdugo has been called up and Joc still around, CF is already crowded. and Thompson/Toles/**** still in fold, the CF/LF jobs are in competition among 5 players or more. my guess is Toles will win the job and some kind of platoons will be worked out. if we resign Logan Forsythe as well, the 2nd base job is also under a very deep and competitive rotation/competition, but not as deep as the OF. Taylor will have to play the infield more as we do need his leadoff bat. I suppose one thing we can do to accommodate Machado is to move Turner to first, and Cody to the LF and do away with our crazy LF/CF depth by selling some of them off. but this takes two starters getting moved around with basically 3 new starters changing in the lineup card. but Turner's 5-10 frame is not ideal compared to the 6-4 framed Cody on 1B.

that leaves Harper, whom we can truly use, a young right handed bat who can cover the CF. but David Murphy's contract ends at the same time when Harper's contract is up. if I was their GM, I am dumping aging Murphy and give both of their contract money to Harper. I am not sure a franchise player of his caliber, will even be made available for the free agency. I smell a very likelihood of a 300 million dollar extension before 2018 season is over, or even during this off season.

another thing is too, is that if we trade for Stanton/Yelich when they are for sure gonna be shopped around, and I believe both are from southern cal area and it will be easy to have their consents. when players want to come first, it is easier to make a better deal for us. and if Harper or Machado are available and there is a fit, we can always still trade Yelich or him and Stanton too. Stanton''s problem with his contract is not the size of it, but the length. it runs until he is Gonzo's age and more. Gonzo's deal will expire when he is 36 and a half years old, Stanton's will run until he is 37. if team option is picked up, he will be 38 when its over. the money won't be too big at all and compared to what Harper will command in the open market, even be looked at as a bargain. 26 to 32 million per season for his prime years, is IMO worth it for a guy with a .916 career OPS numbers.

having said all that tho, no moves might even turn out to be the best move for the dodgers. we are so set at this point.
Cody-CT3-Corey/Puig-Verdugo-Toles/Kike-Thompson/Grandal-Barnes are all still young and can give us 10 years of services at each of their respective positions, including starting lineups to utility guys. pitching is set as long as we restructure and retain Kershaw, behind him with Walker, Alex, pipe line guys like Oaks, Santana, Alvarez all in play and we still have four or five established veteran pitchers under contract, even missing on Otani due to circumstances, may not be the worst problem. and Otani is having some arm issues on top of his existing ankle and hamstring injuries right now. he may have over used at his tender age already.

sorry for another lengthy, multi-topic-ed post here man, Im sure most won't read through everything.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Prime Acquisition Targets 

Post#951 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 6, 2017 2:43 am

Yeah, I'm definitely concerned about Otani's injuries, which is exactly why I wanted him to come over to the Dodgers sooner due to adjusting from the NPB routine given how different it is from MLB's. With regard to Otani's posting, we can only hope that he'll ask his team to wait a few months in order for the Dodgers to be able to offer a financially competitive offer, but like you said,
Neddy, it is more unlikely than likely to happen.

The reason why I want to wait for free agency of winter in 2018 is because we can then choose the best options available whether it is pursuing Machado and/or Harper in free agency, trading for Yelich and/or Stanton, or standing pat with what we'd have. Plus, waiting until then to add big contracts to our payroll would allow the Dodgers to get under the luxury tax, which is important with regards to our saving money to be used in other areas for the organization but also not endangering our first-round pick dropping 10 spots for going over the luxury tax in 3 consecutive seasons.

Also, Bryce Harper actually throws right but bats left and his best position is in rigtht field, in my opinion. Machado would be our best defender at SS or 3B, so he should displace Seager or Turner. Speaking of Turner, he may be doing well, but by then, he'll have only 2 more years left on his current contract and preparing to enter the following season at age 34. I definitely want to keep Taylor long-term, but the fact is that he's only had one season of success. I'm optimistic, but I can't count on him being a star player long-term right now.

Likewise, we really don't have many players who would be untouchable. None of Toles, Thompson, Pederson, and Verdugo are guys I would hesitate trading away if a good deal is on the table. I envision Kendall being the long-term answer in center field, but until then , we have plenty of outfield options. As much as Puig has progressed, the organization will likely look to move him or not re-sign him once the end of his contract comes up.

The bottom line is that we'd trade or move players round the diamond to accommodate Machado and/or Harper, but we shouldn't have to make that decision until next off-season, which is why I really don't see the need to trade for Stanton or Yelich, especially in light of our tax situation.

I'm primarily focused on Otani for this upcoming off-season and I'm hoping Friedman & Co. can find a way to make things work out in signing him whether he waits to be posted or not.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#952 » by Neddy » Wed Sep 6, 2017 2:54 am

^ha, missed about Harper being right handed person hitting from the left side. well done, my friend. but that sorta strengthened my case for Stanton.

but hey all these ideas are just that, ideas. what actually happens, we can only observe.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Rain Check 

Post#953 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:07 am

Neddy wrote:^ha, missed about Harper being right handed person hitting from the left side. well done, my friend. but that sorta strengthened my case for Stanton.

but hey all these ideas are just that, ideas. what actually happens, we can only observe.

True. Us fans are mere spectators, but I like your ideas. You also never know, there might be something a media member comes across and relays to the front office if it's appealing enough.

Like I said, I'm not against going after Stanton and Yelich, but I think the timing is not quite right at this point. Of course, if we make such a deal, I doubt I'm going to be up in arms about it unless the trade cost was really high and we'd be paying the entirety of Stanton's contract.

I'd like to revisit this next off-season.
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Digest's Minor League POYs: Rios & Font 

Post#954 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:41 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Buehler and Alvarez Respectively Ranked 4th and 6th 

Post#955 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 6, 2017 4:52 am

Eric Longenhagen, ESPNinsider.com (9/5/17)

Baseball's Best High-Upside Pitching Prospects of 2017
Ranma
RealGM

David Hood's Scouting Outing (9/9) 

Post#956 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:04 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#957 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:30 am

Disappointing that he's been in the organization that long and hasnt takennto getting his fastball command together.

Hurts his trade value too.
Smfh

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ranma
RealGM

2017 Dodgers Digest All-Prospect Team 

Post#958 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#959 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:32 am

Otani will be posted next season?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ranma
RealGM

Otani Wants to Come Over in 2018 

Post#960 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Otani will be posted next season?

I was going to mention it after the game, but he apparently announced his desire to come over for next season with everyone expecting his Japanese team to post him this off-season. I've updated the "New CBA Ramifications & Shohei Otani Watch" thread with the latest info I came across and will probably start a separate thread once he is officially on the market.

The Dodgers can only offer him $300,000 as a signing bonus right now until July 2, 2018 so hopefully he won't pull a Yoan Moncada and be too impatient. However, most teams have spent most of their allotted international signing budget but they can still trade for more, which would easily outbid us right now.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers