ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft/ International Signing Day?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Another Big Fan of Ohtani's 

Post#201 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:16 am

Dan Weigel, BeyondTheBoxScore.com (2/11/16)
Heed Fort Minor’s advice and remember the name Shohei Otani. Just 20 years old and already the ace of the Japanese National Team, Otani could quickly become the best right-handed pitcher in the world – if he is not already.

In an NPB pitching environment typically dominated by balance, sequencing, and the ability to outthink the hitter, the 6’3", 189 lb. righty is an outlier. Otani has matched the fastest pitch in the history of NPB, a 162 kph heater (101.25 mph) and his fastball regularly sits in the mid to upper 90s with life. A rare Japanese power pitcher, Otani looks to attack with the fastball first and foremost, most notably including up in the zone with two strikes.

His best offspeed pitch is a low-80s slider with a sharp, downward break. Consistent with the trend of many current pitchers, Otani pronates the pitch through release, helping him generate extra spin and consequently more break. His other breaking ball, a slow curveball reminiscent of the offering thrown by former Fighters’ ace Yu Darvish, is not used often but is effective in freezing a hitter expecting something with more velocity. Finally, Otani offers a mid to upper 80s splitter featuring late vertical drop and horizontal boring action sold well by his arm speed.

Mechanically, Otani is nothing short of brilliant.

Is Shohei Otani the Best Right-Handed Pitcher in the World?
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: Draft/ International Signing Day? 

Post#202 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:52 am

When is this kid going to be made available?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Availability of Ohtani 

Post#203 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:10 am

Quake Griffin wrote:When is this kid going to be made available?

Nobody really knows. His Japanese club is in no rush to post him with the current $20-million-maximum posting fee. There's talk that the posting fee could change through negotiations with the current posting agreement expiring in December. There was some buzz that Ohtani could be made available in 2017 if that is the case, otherwise, it may be 3 years or so before we get a crack at him.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Sierra Headed for Spring Training 

Post#204 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Looks like Yaisel is going to going to sign finally…wtf is taking so long.
He should be at in Arizona already right?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#205 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Whenever our front office says that they're developing a guy as a starting pitcher, I view it as lip service.

It was the 1st thing Friedman said about Montas.
Then a month later Friedman was talking about his potential in the bullpen.

I assume every guy is being developed as a starter at this point and who they bring in for the pen is their choice.
and dammit, i thought he was 24…that's fine….25-31 are good years to have.
wonder if he has an arbitration opt out like Puig.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Agent Hairston Gets Death Threat from Lazarito's Buscon 

Post#206 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:26 pm

Ken Rosenthal & Jon Paul Morosi, FoxSports.com (2/23/16)
Lazaro “Lazarito” Armenteros became eligible to sign with a major-league team on Feb. 10. The conflict between his agency, Culture39, and his buscon arose from the buscon’s desire for Lazarito to sign with a team as soon as possible rather than wait until July 2, when international-spending rules would allow other clubs to enter the bidding more aggressively, Hairston said.

Hairston said that he secured an invitation for Lazarito to attend a team’s spring-training camp and meet with its general manager and ownership, but that the buscon withheld the travel documents for both the player and his parents, making such a visit impossible.

“We already have several sponsorship and major endorsement deals lined up for him, not to mention his own clothing line which we are launching soon. But when his safety and ours is put in jeopardy, we had to think about what is most important in life.”

For now, Lazarito’s immediate future and representation remains unclear.

The Los Angeles Dodgers, sources say, are interested in Lazarito even though they are subject to such penalties, which include the inability to sign an international player for more than $300,000 in the next two signing periods.

Lazarito’s present circumstance — seemingly being held against his will, along with his family, by at least one person who stands to profit from his first baseball contract — is similar to the ordeal that Cuban outfielder Leonys Martin faced before signing with the Texas Rangers five years ago.

Last week, U.S.-based player agent Bart Hernandez was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of human trafficking relating to Martin’s escape from Cuba, according to reports.

American Agent Drops Cuban Phenom Lazarito After Death Threat
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#207 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:48 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Whenever our front office says that they're developing a guy as a starting pitcher, I view it as lip service.

It was the 1st thing Friedman said about Montas.
Then a month later Friedman was talking about his potential in the bullpen.

I assume every guy is being developed as a starter at this point and who they bring in for the pen is their choice.
and dammit, i thought he was 24…that's fine….25-31 are good years to have.
wonder if he has an arbitration opt out like Puig.

to be honest, after seeing some of Yaisel Sierra's pitching videos in last few days, I am not all that high on him. his control is irratic and his 4 seam often hits the sweet spot for the batsmen. his 2 seam is better as it has a hard break at the end, but his overall repertoire isn't impressive enough to me to be a top or even middle of the rotation type of a starter. contrast to that, I thought Montas had plus stuff, but he is essentially a two pitch pitcher which makes him better suited for the bullpen. of course, there is always that grain of salt called a small sample size, but I am a bit disappointed with young Sierra. maybe our coaching staff that include Maddux can make adjustments and maximize him, but i have to wonder if we are overpaying these guys more so to keep them away from the enemies rather than being sold that they will become solid pieces for us down the road. I have said this already but Sierra's control reminds me of what Don Drysdale once said in an interview, which was really just a hyperbole, "Don Drysdale does not know where his fastballs go" he was trying to intimidate his opponents while having fun becoming the first athlete ever in history to refer himself in a third person, but this is literally the case for the young Yaisel Sierra to me.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

International Draft on the Horizon 

Post#208 » by Ranma » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 am

Our front office has been ahead of the curve on this matter from the beginning. I'm not opposed to an international draft as long as it is combined with the current amateur draft. Having two separate drafts would just give bad teams the advantage of double-dipping from two talent pools within the same class of talent. For instance, if there were two separate drafts set up for 2015, the Diamondbacks would have selected Dansby Swanson 1st overall from the amateur draft and Yoan Moncada from the international draft. A combined draft, would have had Arizona presumably getting Moncada 1st overall with Swanson going to Houston with the 2nd overall selection.

I don't see the draft replacing the posting systems set up for acquiring talent from the Pacific Rim as the KBO and NPB would not at all be inclined to give up any of their players until they reach free agency within their respective leagues since teams from those leagues would get nothing in return. However, if Korea and Japan were somehow also included in Manfred's vision of a draft system for all incoming talent regardless of where it hails from, it would spur the Nippon-Ham Fighters to post Shohei Ohtani sooner rather than later in order to recoup the current maximum posting fee. In reality, it is more likely that the posting fee would be renegotiated to a higher amount for Japan than it would be to see it included in a proposed MLB draft system. Unlike, Latin American countries, Korea and Japan only have players become available in sporadic fashion and in much more limited numbers.

This just re-affirms the Dodgers' commitment to acquire as much talent as possible while the getting is good. Sights should be set on the Gurriel brothers, Vladimir Gutierrez, Randy Arozarena, and maybe Lazaro Armenteros.

Jesse Sanchez, MLB.com (2/23/16)
"I think the first couple of years of the [Collective Bargaining Agreement], clubs were very positive about the system," Commissioner Rob Manfred said Monday during Cactus League Media Day. "I think it had the desired effect. It provided some restraint, yet flexibility within the system for the clubs. I think with an economic change, the real question becomes 'What happens when the system gets stressed?' And the stress that was placed on the international signing pool system was the availability of Cuban talent, and it has proved lacking. There is no other way to say it. There are changes that could be made to the system."

"My own view -- and it's been this view for a long time -- is that sooner or later, it would be better if players, no matter from where they hail, enter the game through the same type of system, and that is a draft system," Manfred said. "It will be a topic we will spend some time on with the MLBPA over the course of the next year."

Manfred: Draft System Better for Int'l Players
Ranma
RealGM

The Other Side of the Story on Lazarito Drama 

Post#209 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:49 am

Lazarito's now former agent Hairston is likely right about the buscon directing comments made by the Armenteros family, but I was definitely troubled by the focus on endorsements and branding over baseball development during Hairston's watch as his agent. Hairston did seem to over-reach with talk of a $15-million deal from Japan when that was preposterous from the beginning. While the buscon behind the scenes in this whole affair is likely an unsavory individual with his own agenda, Charles Hairston comes off as all-talk with less substance and more hype in trying to get things done.

Ken Rosenthal, FoxSports.com (2/24/16)
The two primary sticking points between the family and Hairston, according to Lazaro Sr. and the new agents, were an inability for Hairston's agency to produce actual offers from clubs and a refusal to allow Lazarito to resume working with his original trainer.

Ulises Cabrera, one of Lazarito's new agents, said that the player's focus needs to be on baseball. Hairston had said that he had sponsorship and endorsement deals lined up for Lazarito, even his own clothing line.

"Most people in the industry would say that Lazarito has not developed to the extent people expected him to when he was in Cuba. The adjustment is to be with people who will be trustworthy and get him back on track on the field," Cabrera said.

"Instead of focusing on building this guy's brand into Michael Jordan Inc. and talking about clothing lines and all that stuff ... this kid is a 16-year-old baseball player. Let's focus on baseball. Let's not focus on making this guy the next LeBron James."

The investor, Hairston and others in his agency believe, is working to steer Lazarito to a specific club.

"I left Cuba on a mission to accomplish my dreams," Lazarito said. "I want to be with my trainer, play consistently and focus on baseball as soon as possible."

Lazaro Sr., who has a college degree in physical education, made a point of saying that the family wants not necessarily the highest offer, but the right situation for their son.

"We're a very humble family," Lazaro Sr. said. "We don't put money first. We just want the very best for our kid."

Cuban Phenom Lazarito and Family Tell a Far Different Story of Dispute with Agent
Neddy
RealGM

Re: International Draft on the Horizon 

Post#210 » by Neddy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:09 am

Ranma wrote:Our front office has been ahead of the curve on this matter from the beginning. I'm not opposed to an international draft as long as it is combined with the current amateur draft. Having two separate draft would just give bad teams the advantage of double-dipping from two talent pools within the same class of talent. For instance, if there were two separate drafts set up for 2015, the Diamondbacks would have selected Dansby Swanson 1st overall from the amateur draft and Yoan Moncada from the international draft. A combined draft, would have had Arizona presumably getting Moncada 1st overall with Swanson going to Houston with the 2nd overall selection.

I don't see the draft replacing the posting systems set up for acquiring talent from the Pacific Rim as the KBO and NPB would not at all be inclined to give up any of their players until they reach free agency within their respective leagues since teams from those leagues would get nothing in return. However, if Korea and Japan were somehow also included in Manfred's vision of a draft system for all incoming talent regardless of where it hails from, it would spur the Nippon-Ham Fighters to post Shohei Ohtani sooner rather than later in order to recoup the current maximum posting fee. In reality, it is more likely that the posting fee would be renegotiated to a higher amount for Japan than it would be to see it included in a proposed MLB draft system. Unlike, Latin American countries, Korea and Japan only have players become available in sporadic fashion and much more limited numbers.

This just re-affirms the Dodgers' commitment to acquire as much talent as possible while the getting is good. Sights should be set on the Gurriel brothers, Vladimir Gutierrez, Randy Arozarena, and maybe Lazaro Armenteros.

Jesse Sanchez, MLB.com (2/23/16)
"I think the first couple of years of the [Collective Bargaining Agreement], clubs were very positive about the system," Commissioner Rob Manfred said Monday during Cactus League Media Day. "I think it had the desired effect. It provided some restraint, yet flexibility within the system for the clubs. I think with an economic change, the real question becomes 'What happens when the system gets stressed?' And the stress that was placed on the international signing pool system was the availability of Cuban talent, and it has proved lacking. There is no other way to say it. There are changes that could be made to the system."

"My own view -- and it's been this view for a long time -- is that sooner or later, it would be better if players, no matter from where they hail, enter the game through the same type of system, and that is a draft system," Manfred said. "It will be a topic we will spend some time on with the MLBPA over the course of the next year."

Manfred: Draft System Better for Int'l Players

KBO and NPB will never allow MLB to draft their high school kids. KBO already have a penalty built in for kids who skips KBO's draft to go sign with MLB who wishes to return after years of struggle in the minors to have a full year ban before they can be eligible for their own draft. Nippon pro baseball threatened that if another Japanese prospect is taken by MLB, they would ban MLB ever to contact another Japanese high schooler with stiff penalties... after we nearly snatched Otani from them a few years back......
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

News on Vladimir Gutierrez (UPDATED) 

Post#211 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Edit: Added 2nd tweet from Badler.
Ranma
RealGM

Sierra Arrives 

Post#212 » by Ranma » Tue Mar 1, 2016 8:07 pm

It's odd that Hoornstra notes that the Dodgers view Yaisel Sierra as a reliever as it was previously indicated that they would try him out as a starter at first just like they've done with practically all of our pitching prospects. In any case and if true, developing Sierra as a reliever out of the gate makes the most sense to me.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Updates on Gutierrez and Armenteros 

Post#213 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 2, 2016 8:54 am

It's interesting to find out that Vladimir Gutierrez fell off the radar until recently because of his struggles with mechanics and velocity as well as him playing musical chairs in selecting agents. Given all that, I can actually see Gutierrez delaying his signing until the next international signing period. However, I still anticipate that he will sign during the current period and, if that is the case, it will likely be between the Dodgers or Cubs, which seems to be the case for every high-profile international prospect now.

Despite Badler apparently citing the Padres as favorites to sign Lazaro Armenteros, I don't see him waiting until the next international signing period to do so, which he would have to do in order to join them given San Diego's plans for 2016-17. One of the main reasons he parted with Charles Hairston's agency was because his camp wanted to sign as soon as possible. Even though he is with different representation, it seems Lazarito is employing the same tactics of trying to generate interest in the form of increased offers by trying to float rumors of interest from other teams. I'm still not buying it.

The Cubs reportedly were not interested in him at his high asking price previously. He'd also have to wait until the next period in order to sign with the Braves. The Lazarito camp seems to be waiting for either the Cubs or Dodgers to bite on the unconvincing bull it is selling. I still think he ends up signing before June 16th. Badler even acknowledges that Armenteros has been over-hyped.

Michael Cerami, BleacherNation.com (3/1/16)
Gutierrez, 20, is one of Badler’s “favorite pitchers in Cuba,” and comes with a much more projectable frame. Standing at 6’3″ 170lbs, Gutierrez is a bit more of a traditionally sized starting pitcher with an 88-93 MPH fastball, expected to reach the mid-90s when all is said and done. His curveball, also rated as “plus,” comes in for some praise, as well.

Gutierrez’s story, however, has been a bit less straightforward than Ruiz. Despite having a promising future and being just 20 years old, Gutierrez left Cuba over a year ago, in search of free agency with MLB. Part of the reason he hasn’t yet signed is because his mechanics and velocity have been out of whack throughout his showcases in Florida. Apparently, teams were put off.

Moreover, he has switched agents multiple times over the course of the year. Having previously been represented by Octagon, Gutierrez made the agency switch to Bart Hernandez, who was recently indicted for allegedly trafficking Cuban players, forcing Gutierrez to join with Legacy. Even with reasonable contract demands and low expectations, switching between three different agencies is going to slow down (or restart) any existing negotiations.

As it stands, the Cubs, Dodgers and Giants have been connected to Gutierrez – who, himself, is expected to hold an open showcase in the Miami area over the next few weeks. According to Badler, teams are anxious to see him, because there are reports he has somewhat regained his old form. To be determined. [Brett: Recent reports had the Giants tapped out on dollars at this point, but we’ll see. Also, that thing I said about the Dodgers.]

Cubs Linked to Top Cuban Pitching Prospects, Norge Ruiz and Vladimir Gutierrez

Steve Adams, MLBTradeRumors.com (3/1/16)
The Padres are now the favorites to sign Cuban prospect Lazaro Armenteros, according to Baseball America’s Ben Badler (subscription required but highly recommended), though he notes that the Braves and Dodgers both have some interest. However, Badler notes that the player known as “Lazarito” has been “the subject of some of the most extreme sensationalism in public reports,” and ranks the 16-year-old 11th on his list of the top 15 Cuban players available to Major League clubs. Lazarito would add to what appears to be a potentially significant class of 2016-17 international prospects for San Diego, as Badler and ESPN’s Eric Longenhagen have both previously reported the Friars as the favorites to sign 19-year-old outfielder Jorge Ona (fourth on today’s rankings from Badler) and 17-year-old lefty Adrian Morejon (10th). It’s worth noting, too, that Badler isn’t downplaying Lazarito’s talent entirely; he does write that Lazarito’s talent is “right up there” with the other top international prospects that have signed in the 2015-16 international class, so the implication is merely that the “phenom” labels that have been placed on Lazarito are an overstatement.

International Notes: Rays, Lazarito, Padres, La O, Rodriguez, Heredia
Ranma
RealGM

Sierra's Contract with Opt-Out Option for Arbitration 

Post#214 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 5, 2016 10:48 am

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#215 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Mar 5, 2016 4:34 pm

You feel the same about Vlad as you did 3 months ago?
He was supposed to be less talented than Yadier Alvarez but more polished right?

Then the switching of agents.
Something just doesn't seem right there.
Ranma
RealGM

Gutierrez's Fading Appeal 

Post#216 » by Ranma » Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:25 am

No, I don't feel the same about Vladimir Gutierrez as I did before. Admittedly, I was curious but not worried about his extended absence from the international scene, but as was the case with Eddy Julio Martinez, teams tend to move on or come to their senses after time has passed beyond initial negotiations. Having said that, I still think he and Lazaro Armenteros would make good additions to our developmental pipeline, but only at reasonable contracts.

I no longer think Gutierrez is worth the $15.75 million price tag I previously estimated for him. The fading hype seems to have dropped him from the level of Yadier Alvarez and Yusniel Diaz. I still like him better than Yaisel Sierra, whom the Dodgers just signed, but Vladimir is also not worth the $30 million Yaisel signed for given that he's still subject to international signing guidelines. I also like Gutierrez better than Lazarito. I'd be a little disappointed if we don't get him but we'll have to see what he actually signs for.
Ranma
RealGM

Update on the International Scene 

Post#217 » by Ranma » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Interesting to see the Wasserman Media Group reportedly poised to sign the Gurriel brothers given the previously rumored connection to Scott Boras. A showcase for Gutierrez is set up for next week while MLB is trying to change the posting system for signing Korean players out of the KBO to match closer to the one used for Japanese players from NPB.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Callis Answers Twitter Question About Tito 

Post#218 » by Ranma » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Jim Callis, MLB.com (3/11/16)
Read on Twitter

I like Gurriel's upside more than I like his chances of signing soon. He'll pocket a lot more money if he waits until he turns 23 on Oct. 19, at which point he won't be subject to the international bonus pools. If Gurriel were to sign before then, the large bonus he'll command would be high enough that a team would have to pay a matching amount as a penalty tax, meaning that the Commissioner's Office would collect half the money the club would be willing to give up for him.

Gurriel can't quite match the ceiling of his older brother and co-defector Yulieski, a third baseman widely considered to be the best player in Cuba before he left, but Lourdes Jr. is nine years younger and has a longer career ahead of him. He profiles as a third baseman or outfielder with innate hitting ability, solid power potential, average speed and a strong arm. He has the tools to become an All-Star, especially if he can remain in the infield.

Inbox: Looking Back at Rangers' Dominant Farm
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Update on the International Scene 

Post#219 » by Neddy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:23 am

Ranma wrote:Interesting to see the Wasserman Media Group reportedly poised to sign the Gurriel brothers given the previously rumored connection to Scott Boras. A showcase for Gutierrez is set up for next week while MLB is trying to change the posting system for signing Korean players out of the KBO to match closer to the one used for Japanese players from NPB.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/708350823734980609[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/708083289962192898[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeBerardino/status/707594938511335424[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeBerardino/status/707595057805729792[/tweet]

KBO really needs to change their posting system, their top players are getting killed in negotiations. Park in Minnesota right now probably could have made more money if he stayed for his near future free agency in Korea, or sign with one of the Japanese teams. he could have gotten at least the same while not paying taxes to both US and S Korea, or nearly double easily in Japan.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Gurriels' Official Representation 

Post#220 » by Ranma » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:13 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers