ImageImageImageImageImage

Re-Sign Greinke: Yay or Nay?

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re-Sign Greinke: Yay or Nay? 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:02 am

I can't in good faith say that if a team offers him 8/$200 Ms at the age of 32 that I want this team to match it.

I srsly wish it did not have to come down to him opting out this offseason.
He's easily my favorite Dodger….well, now I love YG. They're neck and neck.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Nay 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:37 am

I agree. I was not inclined to sign Zack Greinke to a longer term contract before the season and I'm still leaning towards not doing it. I'm definitely concerned with giving him an 8-year deal, but if something can be worked out for 6 years, I'd probably sign off on it. He's been our best pitcher this season and it's clear that, even with the acquisition of Cueto or some other ace pitcher, we'd be better off in bringing him back...but at what cost? Hopefully, his comfort level here will assist in negotiations for his return.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Re-Sign Greinke: Yay or Nay? 

Post#3 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:38 am

I say ride his ass to the world series and move on. yeah his ERA looks super human, but his FIP and xFIP are not as drastically better as his career numbers. he hasn't given up his career usual HRs/Flyballs but we all know those are statistical noise and will correct itself. he is far more likely to pitch below his career average from post-current contract than he is to keep up with current anomaly. I say we go after a right handed ace in this year's trade dead line deal and focus on bringing Ryu back next season along with maturation of Urias. Kershaw-traded RHP-Ryu-Urias-your pick among Bolsinger/Frias/Lee/etc would keep us as elite just fine.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#4 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:52 am

only option I would be happy with to retain Zack is to make him one of the most paid player in baseball for 3 to 4 year deal, that's it. I don't want to see anything more than 4 year deal for him at his age. 8 year deal is down right stupid and 6 year deal is surely to become a dead weight once he passes 34 to 35. even a 4 year deal I am assuming that his last year or two will be crap.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

4 or 5 Years or Florida? 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Jon Heyman, CBS Sports (7/17/15)
One reason Hamels especially appeals to the Dodgers is their assumption that Greinke will opt out of a deal that has $71 million over three years remaining. While Greinke hasn't publicly commented on the opt-out, and is said to love manager Don Mattingly, that call to opt out is basically a fait accompli. He is also said to be fond of Kershaw and much of the clubhouse (though not all of it; as Molly Knight pointed out in her new book, "The Best Team Money Can Buy," Greinke hasn't always seen eye-to-eye with Yasiel Puig). There's little other choice considering his otherworldly performance against everyone but his cross-town friend Mike Trout.

Though Dodgers people believe Greinke generally likes LA, and might stay with the inducement of an added year or two (and some dollars), there is some suspicion, too, that the Orlando-area native Greinke, following stays with two teams in the midwest and two on the west coast, might not mind coming east, too.

Inside Baseball: Dodgers Aim for Cueto, Hamels; Rangers in on Cole, Too
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#6 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:08 pm

I agree. I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off the Greinke train... I think you take advantage of whatever he gives you in a contract year and then let someone else over-pay for his services.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers