ImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Turner Re-Ups (4 years $64 million)

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Justin Turner Re-Ups (4 years $64 million) 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 pm

Title
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Justin Turner Re-Ups (4 years $64 million) 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:41 am

Think you can do a little better than 'Title' quake... :lol:

But I wasn't sure we'd keep Turner and I'm really glad we did. I know we're all focused on pitching every off season, but I think our lack of consistent is the real problem and it's putting too much pressure on our Arms...
I'm glad we get to watch turner another year, and I hope we add some other guys who can make opposing pitching tremble.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#3 » by Neddy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:54 am

so, our projected lineup and their backups so far...

C S Grandal
1B L Gonzo
2B ?
3B R Turner
SS L Seager
LF L Toles
CF L Pederson
RF R Puig

C R Barnes
1B/OF R SVS
OF L Ethier
IF/OF R ****

2B candidates of

Taylor
Culberson
MIcah Johnson
a mystery guy

looks like this team is coming along just fine, in terms of position players, just short of an effective RH 2B against LHP.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Kilroy wrote:Think you can do a little better than 'Title' quake... :lol:

But I wasn't sure we'd keep Turner and I'm really glad we did. I know we're all focused on pitching every off season, but I think our lack of consistent is the real problem and it's putting too much pressure on our Arms...
I'm glad we get to watch turner another year, and I hope we add some other guys who can make opposing pitching tremble.

My bad.
Part lazy (I dont like clicking and posting the twitter stuff) and Ranma is really good at it.

Other part, I just wanted to get them up for the forum and I figured I already messed up somewhat mentioning them in the other thread.

I truly wish we could have done the deal for 3 years...but as it tends to go in baseball, the years that tend to make sense to you + 1 is what gets a deal done. I pray his knees hold up. Uribe and Beltre have held up at the hot corner into their late 30s.

He's gotta figure out LHP too. I don't think I've seen anything like that before. Maybe Neddy can point out some cases of RHBs that can't hit LHP that I'm not thinking about now.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#5 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:12 am

Quake Griffin wrote: Maybe Neddy can point out some cases of RHBs that can't hit LHP that I'm not thinking about now.

that one is easy,

Mark Trumbo this year hit better than .900 OPS against RHP but fumbled against LHP with slash line of .173/223/385.

I remember Raul Mondesi in 98 sucked against LHP.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Btw, I'm all for dealing for a 2B now. I mean I always wanted one but I want it now in the sense of it would be criminal not to. You can't re-up Justin and Kenley, sign Hill, and then not put a lot into filling one of the most important positions on the field.

First name I said on day 1 of the offseason was Matt Duffy. I'm still all about Matt Duffy.
I brought up Kinsler later (BEFORE the internet started the rumor *pats back*) but if he's really not about it, then whatever.
I'm less interested in Forsythe and Dozier....least interested in Dozier.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:20 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Btw, I'm all for dealing for a 2B now. I mean I always wanted one but I want it now in the sense of it would be criminal not to. You can't re-up Justin and Kenley, sign Hill, and then not put a lot into filling one of the most important positions on the field.

First name I said on day 1 of the offseason was Matt Duffy. I'm still all about Matt Duffy.
I brought up Kinsler later (BEFORE the internet started the rumor *pats back*) but if he's really not about it, then whatever.
I'm less interested in Forsythe and Dozier....least interested in Dozier.

why matt duffy? he can't hit lefties to begin with?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:37 pm

****, he was better against them last year but I just saw his dismal 2015 numbers...

Liked him as a controllable young RHB who could play 2nd or 3rd if we were in a pinch with Turner...also viewed him as extendable w/o a 9 figure pay day.

3B Machado
SS Seager
2B Duffy
1B Bellinger

or

3B Seager
SS Machado
2B Duffy
1B Bellinger

one could have dreamed...but if he cant hit lefties, I'm not as big on him.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Not Shaving Red Beard from Dodgers' Roster 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:03 am

I was ready to move on from Justin Turner and collect the draft pick compensation for his departure, but given the lack of serious competition for his services, it seemed inevitable that he would return. This is not to say that I didn't want him back but with the return of Kenley Jansen, it adds to the value of bring back Red Beard. Most people consider his deal to be reasonable with a $16-million AAV like Jansen's (and Hill's) recently signed contract but only for 4 guaranteed years.

Honestly, I'd have preferred to trade for Evan Longoria but that wasn't realistic and Turner is a more reliable option than pursuing Todd Frazier from the White Sox for however much of an overpay they were asking for. It's odd that JT had reverse splits this past season, so one can only hope that he not only at least maintains his performance for the life of his new contract but also goes back to hitting left-handed pitching well again.

As was previously mentioned, this deal doesn't look that bad even if we have move Turner off the hot corner in 2 seasons with Seager taking over 3B since he can take over for A-Gon at 1B when he departs for San Diego on a retirement deal. Cody Bellinger would likely be the better option at 1B but Clay's son will probably see action in the OF in order to get him to the big leagues sooner than that, so we have options to juggle the lineup the card.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers