RealGM
And1: 4,062

2017 NL West Champs 

Post#1321 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:20 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Starting Pitching Key to Success 

Post#1322 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2017 REGULAR SEASON LA Dodgers & international 

Post#1323 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 am

What a great feeling to be there for the clincher.

I hadnt been in the building in a couple years. I knew Cody's bomb was gone from the crack of the bat.

Proud of Rich Hill and his grit to get through 6 even with the high pitch count

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1324 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Was odd to see Fields get the 8th.

Anybody watching at home get the logic behind it?
Glad he got through it.

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#1325 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:06 pm

probably dave auditioning guys in high leverage.

it makes me sick that dave still doesnt have the bullpen job figured out at this point of the season. we 've got just 8 more games to go.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1326 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:24 pm

One more thing.

Lefty was in for the Giants.
Granderson batted in the 7th (or 8th???).
Dave had **** pinch hit for Ethier the next AB.

Why didn't he pinch hit for Granderson? Ethier at least has a shot to hit a right hander if the game happened to get extended and Granderson couldn't hit if you gave hima tennis racket.

Oh well. Just surprising to me that Dave "understands" that Joc can't play much anymore but doesn't get it for Curtis.

Worse, the loyalty makes me think we will waste one of our 25 spots on Curtis.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1327 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Neddy wrote:probably dave auditioning guys in high leverage.

it makes me sick that dave still doesnt have the bullpen job figured out at this point of the season. we 've got just 8 more games to go.

It's annoying.

Francona's boys are ready and licking their chops to get into October and we're just now realizing Baez and Strip arent high leverage. We're still using Fields in the 8th inning.

Win or lose, isn't it better for the confidence for Dave to tell Watson and Morrow they are our setup men??? They're not competing with some turd for the high leverage innings/situations?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ranma
RealGM

Understanding Dave's Decisions 

Post#1328 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Was odd to see Fields get the 8th.

Glad he got through it.

I agree with Neddy that Roberts is still fine-tuning and auditioning for the last few open roster spots for the playoffs. Fields has a similar profile to Baez so I get why they want him to show he can fill a role. I didn't really have a problem with him coming into the game last night given that Buehler and Morrow pitched the night before. I don't see him surpassing Morrow or Watson as prioritized options in high-leverage situations, but I understand them wanting to test him a bit.

Quake Griffin wrote:Why didn't he pinch hit for Granderson? Ethier at least has a shot to hit a right hander if the game happened to get extended and Granderson couldn't hit if you gave hima tennis racket.

Oh well. Just surprising to me that Dave "understands" that Joc can't play much anymore but doesn't get it for Curtis.

Worse, the loyalty makes me think we will waste one of our 25 spots on Curtis.

Given concerns about Ethier's ability to play outfield coming back from injury, I get why **** replaced Ethier instead of Granderson. As much as I harped on Granderson, I'm actually a little encouraged by him and Forsythe both showing signs of life offensively. Granted it's nothing to be excited about yet, but it shows a glimmer of hope for them.

I'm more concerned with Seager's bat right now. Despite his hit last night, he has't looked right at the plate. It likely has something to do with the elbow issue that limits his throws defensively as SS.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1329 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 pm

It's very unsettling given that we know his injury won't be healed until the offseason.

I haven't checked his September splits but I'm sure there's been a drop off. His BA and OBP are both lower than they were a month ago.

Hopefully Turner's hand/thumb is much ado about nothing and won't nag him in October.

Glad that Forsythe is beginning to flash the bat as well although I'm sleeping with one eye open.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#1330 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:the loyalty makes me think we will waste one of our 25 spots on Curtis.

and... we will.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#1331 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Francona's boys are ready and licking their chops to get into October and we're just now realizing Baez and Strip arent high leverage. We're still using Fields in the 8th inning.

Win or lose, isn't it better for the confidence for Dave to tell Watson and Morrow they are our setup men??? They're not competing with some turd for the high leverage innings/situations?

most good managers do. Dave doesn't. either Dave is that much smarter than every winning manager in history, or he is another dumbass like Donnie. Tommy (and happy 90th birthday, Tommy!) certainly stuck to his guys. recent cinderella team the 2015 Royals stuck to their guys religiously (Ned Yost is hardly a newbie). you go back to not just the last ten or 15 years but historic names along with Tommy such as Sparky Anderson, Jim Leyland, Bobby Cox, and even managers who came after these names and not as great as Bobby Valentine won the Japan series with the lowly Chiba Lotte Marines doing exactly that. you stick to your guys and keep them confident that their manager has undying trust in you in high leverage situations especially this close to going into the post season. now our guys will feel they are about to get the hook as soon as any pressure is mounted, or don't know when they will get in, reeling in even more anxiety than just focusing on the game itself.

usually, at this time of any season but especially in a season with such huge lead over any other team, you use the expanded roster players to give rest to the guys you are going into the post season with. but when Dave couldn't stop the losing streak, and all the easy wins and the praises of his genius that came with it had evaporated, he felt he needed to do something to step up and everything he did, didn't work. now he looks like an inexperienced manager who has forgotten what got you here as 98 win team, and is trying to force more Ws all by himself. he may have never played or managed in Japan, but this recent managerial style is reminding me of Seikon Kanebayashi's now infamous quote... this one former baseball manager once said... 'baseball is not played by players, but by the managers'. now he is fired for sucking for so many years and blaming he didn't have enough talent on the roster.

remember the movie Mr. Baseball? remember that scene when a pitcher gives up a homerun midway through the game against the hated Giants and just immediately crumbles into the ground, looking down in shame, Jack Elliot yells "hey Moo-Kai, get up, chief ain't gonna pull you" and Mukai looks up, then gets back up and gets his groove back? it maybe a fictitious moment in a comedy movie from 3 decades ago but it is also very symbolic of how pitchers, especially relief pitchers can be very emotional and their performance directly tied to their confidence.

Jack Elliot convinced his manager/soon to be father in law in the movie stating "baseball is a game, and games are supposed to be fun". I need Dave to hear this. because during the losing streak, and until last night when we finally popped the cork, I didn't see the same joy on the field. with no pressure of division title, I want to see that joy continue on the faces of every dodger, including the next big auditionee Ryu who is probably going to try to impress Dave for that 4th starting job. knowing Dave tho, it will be in vain. just go out and have some fun, fat boy.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Binge-Watching Baseball Movies 

Post#1332 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Neddy wrote:remember the movie Mr. Baseball? remember that scene when a pitcher gives up a homerun midway through the game against the hated Giants and just immediately crumbles into the ground, looking down in shame, Jack Elliot yells "hey Moo-Kai, get up, chief ain't gonna pull you" and Mukai looks up, then gets back up and gets his groove back? it maybe a fictitious moment in a comedy movie from 3 decades ago but it is also very symbolic of how pitchers, especially relief pitchers can be very emotional and their performance directly tied to their confidence.

I actually re-watched Mr. Baseball and Major League a couple of nights ago in light of Ohtani news and hoping to spark the Dodgers to snap out of their recent struggles. It was Itoi on the mound. Mukai was the clubhouse leader and i think he was a position player.

By the way, I also watched Moneyball after the Indians' win streak and in remembrance of the Dodgers' abbreviated effort.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Understanding Dave's Decisions 

Post#1333 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Was odd to see Fields get the 8th.

Glad he got through it.

I agree with Neddy that Roberts is still fine-tuning and auditioning for the last few open roster spots for the playoffs. Fields has a similar profile to Baez so I get why they want him to show he can fill a role. I didn't really have a problem with him coming into the game last night given that Buehler and Morrow pitched the night before. I don't see him surpassing Morrow or Watson as prioritized options in high-leverage situations, but I understand them wanting to test him a bit.

what for tho? he had the whole season this year, and a half of last season to figure that out already. Jansen is the closer, period. Morrow and Watson the setup men, period. Maeda is the longman, period. that is already 9, and 8th inning covered, and any inning before the 6th by prematurely knocked out starter covered. all other jobs for the mid relief jobs in the 6 and 7th innings, plus a spot relieving lefty. with 4 starters and 4 relievers already set, we have room for 4 more pitchers. knowing it is highly likely Friedman will keep Walker on the roster, and one of Cingrini and Avilan will make the roster, it is gonna be just one spot left after the loser of the 4th start job ( probably Ryu, I can't see Dave not starting Hill or Wood) then there is one spot left between Baez and Fields. they both had seasons deviating from their career norm, with Baez giving up more hits and walks per inning than his career, and Fields having given up less than his career. between the two, Baez had better career but Fields had the better season. one gives up HRs in the most inopportune times, therefore making him a low leverage guy, but the other guy has given up more HRs/9 which tells you he may have better focus when needed. you look at the wins above replacement for the entire season, Fields comes out on top. all indications show that between the two, Josh is probably more dependable in most situations over Baez, at least this season. but Baez shouldn't lose his spot over Walker either.

come the playoffs, we will be playing with 23 men roster, with Walker and Granderson eating up precious roster spots.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Binge-Watching Baseball Movies 

Post#1334 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:remember the movie Mr. Baseball? remember that scene when a pitcher gives up a homerun midway through the game against the hated Giants and just immediately crumbles into the ground, looking down in shame, Jack Elliot yells "hey Moo-Kai, get up, chief ain't gonna pull you" and Mukai looks up, then gets back up and gets his groove back? it maybe a fictitious moment in a comedy movie from 3 decades ago but it is also very symbolic of how pitchers, especially relief pitchers can be very emotional and their performance directly tied to their confidence.

I actually re-watched Mr. Baseball and Major League a couple of nights ago in light of Ohtani news and hoping to spark the Dodgers to snap out of their recent struggles. It was Itoi on the mound. Mukai was the clubhouse leader and i think he was a position player.

By the way, I also watched Moneyball after the Indians' win streak and in remembrance of the Dodgers' abbreviated effort.

oh yeah, it was Itoi, thanks for the correction, it's been awhile. but you get the anology.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#1335 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:It's very unsettling given that we know his injury won't be healed until the offseason.

I have no doubt he will need a TJS. if not over this off season, within next couple of years. maybe it is time to consider moving him over to second in near future. watching Logan playing SS was really weird for me.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Seager at 2B 

Post#1336 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Neddy wrote:I have no doubt he will need a TJS. if not over this off season, within next couple of years. maybe it is time to consider moving him over to second in near future. watching Logan playing SS was really weird for me.

Wasn't Forsythe playing 3B? He looks fine there, but SS would be a stretch for sure.

I was actually thinking of having Seager take over at 2B shortly after our discussion on going after Machado in free agency to be our SS, but that was also after pondering Seager to 3B with Turner to 1B and Bellinger in LF but it makes more sense to keep everyone at their respective best positions with Corey taking over the keystone in the infield.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Seager at 2B 

Post#1337 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:I have no doubt he will need a TJS. if not over this off season, within next couple of years. maybe it is time to consider moving him over to second in near future. watching Logan playing SS was really weird for me.

Wasn't Forsythe playing 3B? He looks fine there, but SS would be a stretch for sure.

I was actually thinking of having Seager take over at 2B shortly after our discussion on going after Machado in free agency to be our SS, but that was also after pondering Seager to 3B with Turner to 1B and Bellinger in LF but it makes more sense to keep everyone at their respective best positions with Corey taking over the keystone in the infield.

it was the last game against the Phillies. we started Forsythe on SS, then moved him to 3rd when Turner got hurt. barnes filled the second, moved taylor from CF to SS, Bellinger moved from 1st to CF, and Utley moved from 2nd to 1st. I had never seen a managerial move where one player gets hurt, and the entire infield and the CF switches positions.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Postseason Auditions 

Post#1338 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Neddy wrote:what for tho? he had the whole season this year, and a half of last season to figure that out already.

Fields has been up-and-down in performance this season but he also recently came off the disabled list, so I would think the team wants to see how he's holding up health-wise and how consistent he is in recapturing his top form.

Baez is a hot mess right now, so I don't even want to waste a thought towards giving him consideration, season stats be damned. If Roberts wants to give him opportunities in games (preferably in low-leverage situations) for the remaining regular season, I'm okay with that, but I have little-to-no faith that this guy will be salvageable for this year.

I have no problems with either Granderson or Buehler occupying postseason roster spots mostly because there are no better alternatives available at the moment. I'm concerned that Cingrani won't make the cut, but I like him better than Avilan right now.
Ranma
RealGM

Ripple Effect on the Field 

Post#1339 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Neddy wrote:it was the last game against the Phillies. we started Forsythe on SS, then moved him to 3rd when Turner got hurt. barnes filled the second, moved taylor from CF to SS, Bellinger moved from 1st to CF, and Utley moved from 2nd to 1st. I had never seen a managerial move where one player gets hurt, and the entire infield and the CF switches positions.

I see. Given the context, I actually like Dave's ripple-effect roster move. Apparently, Forsythe is thought to be a decent SS but Taylor is the better defender and natural fit at that position.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1340 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Today's lineup **** sucks.

Part no Turner.
Part Bumgarner on the mound.

LOLd hard at have some fun, fat boy.
I want him to pitch well. I think I need #fatboy on my postseason roster.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers