2017 REGULAR SEASON LA Dodgers & international

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Blister Outbreak? 

Post#281 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 1, 2017 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2017 REGULAR SEASON LA Dodgers & international 

Post#282 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jun 1, 2017 9:23 pm

McCarthy with a blister.

Fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Umpire Incompetence and Grudge 

Post#283 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 1, 2017 9:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Kershaw 2K 

Post#284 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 3, 2017 12:55 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Record-Setting Strikeouts and Clutch Homeruns 

Post#285 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 3, 2017 6:27 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ranma wrote:Yeah, his regression and K-rate is something to definitely be monitoring, but the Dodgers' telecast last night mentioned that Cody was actually putting up really good stats from the 7th inning on as a clutch hitter. Something like batting in the .320s and 7 homeruns if I'm not mistaken.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Trade for Jason Wheeler 

Post#286 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 3, 2017 6:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#287 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 3, 2017 10:02 pm

Is Rich Hill going to provide any value to this team in the regular season?

Or are we all just going to cross our fingers hoping he's there, healthy, and with his best stuff in October?

Shoulda stood pat and made a competitive offer for Archer later.
Smh.

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#288 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 3, 2017 11:04 pm

Hatcher just melting in this 7th.

Not sure if I agree with that balk though

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#289 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 3, 2017 11:12 pm

Well.

This is an annoying way to lose.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#290 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 4, 2017 12:06 am

CHRIS **** TAYLOR!!!!11

Ranma
RealGM

Servings of Grand Salami with Sausage Race in Milwaukee 

Post#291 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 4, 2017 1:00 am

I have to say once again that I have to hand it to Turner Ward for the Dodgers' even-keeled approach at the plate and, obviously, the results. I've been rooting and advocating for Austin Barnes ever since we got him in trade and he came up big with a clutch hit to set the table for Cody Bellinger. While he missed a pitch down the middle, Cody did draw a walk that pushed in a run at home plate. Corey Seager did a good job getting on base with 3 walks and 2 runs scored including those tallies in the 9th.

Of course, we can't forget to mention Chris Taylor's monster grand slam to win the game. CT3, the Bat God, has been on a tear. The Dodgers' telecast mentioned how he was batting .229 either with runners on base or in scoring position despite listing him 4 for 9 in his career with the bases loaded and 2 grand slams (1 in Seattle) prior to the momentous at-bat.

The Boys in Blue have done a wonderful job of not giving up with, I believe, 16 comeback victories so far this season also per the Dodgers' telecast. Rich Hill, Chris Hatcher, and Josh Fields were quite disappointing on the mound but at least Ross Stripling, Brandon Morrow, and Kenley Jansen did their jobs to preserve the victory.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Hill of Beans 

Post#292 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 4, 2017 1:13 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Is Rich Hill going to provide any value to this team in the regular season?

Or are we all just going to cross our fingers hoping he's there, healthy, and with his best stuff in October?

Smh.

Hill has definitely been a letdown but I haven't lost hope on him yet. Hindsight is 20/20 but we were highly unklikely to stand pat in the middle of a pennant race. I'd prefer Archer too but he was unavailable or at least cost prohibitive. The Hill-Reddick deal allowed us to acquire a postseason performer who may still be able to contribute this seasons and postseason without costing us any of our premium prospects.

Archer likely would have cost more than Jose De Leon. This was also before the emergence of Walker Buehler. Even if we were able to acquire Archer for De Leon plus non-premium prospects, it would have likely cost us something of significance for Logan Forsythe since we were unaware of Chris Taylor's offensive prowess this time last season. I was actually of those who didn't want to trade for a second baseman given the prices during the offseason, but accepted the deal, nonetheless, trusting our front office.

Even with Hill's struggles, I'm fine with the trade. The Forsythe trade, on the other hand, is something I'm still a bit skeptical about given his lack of opportunity to perform and Taylor's emergence. In any case, we're in good position and still able to make further moves if necessary. I just don't see one being necessary at the moment.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017 REGULAR SEASON LA Dodgers & international 

Post#293 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 4, 2017 1:50 am

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Is Rich Hill going to provide any value to this team in the regular season?

Smh.

Hill has definitely been a letdown but I haven't lost hope on him yet. Hindsight is 20/20 but we were highly unklikely to stand pat in the middle of a pennant race. I'd prefer Archer too but he was unavailable or at least cost prohibitive. The Hill-Reddick deal allowed us to acquire a postseason performer who may still be able to contribute this seasons and postseason without costing us any of our premium prospects.

Archer likely would have cost more than Jose De Leon. This was also before the emergence of Walker Buehler. Even if we were able to acquire Archer for De Leon plus non-premium prospects, it would have likely cost us something of significance for Logan Forsythe since we were unaware of Chris Taylor's offensive prowess this time last season. I was actually of those who didn't want to trade for a second baseman given the prices during the offseason, but accepted the deal, nonetheless, trusting our front office.

Even with Hill's struggles, I'm fine with the trade. The Forsythe trade, on the other hand, is something I'm still a bit skeptical about given his lack of opportunity to perform and Taylor's emergence. In any case, we're in good position and still able to make further moves if necessary. I just don't see one being necessary at the moment.

Hindsight is 20/20 and it says, if you want an ace or a co-ace, youre gonna pay top dollar, top prospects, or you're gonna wait to develop him.

Given that three prospects have been less than stellar for Oakland, I don't mind the rental as much as the double down in the offseason to prove this was a good deal. The bidding against ourselves to give a 37 year old a 3 year deal.

This guy isn't Greinke. He was never Greinke and we shouldn't have invested years into a guy that old with that kind of injury history.

Personally, I love what we're doing with the developmental aspects of our franchise and I actually dont mind "waiting" (read: not winning now) to develop Urias and Yadier behind Kershaw. I thought we had a good team with a shot? Sure. Did I think we were one trade away from our goal? That answer is no.

Imo we're in the same place we were at the last deadline....wondering if we have the #2 behind Kershaw with Kershaw getting ready to throw another Game 4 in the DS no matter if we're up 2-1 or down 2-1.

3 prospects.
$48 million more.
Same place.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#294 » by Neddy » Sun Jun 4, 2017 1:54 am

what a great game. watched every K, every BB, every hit and both grandslams. this is the reason why I love the game of baseball the most. down by 3 runs with 1 out on top of the 9th, only 2 outs to spare, and we win the game that we were down by 4 runs just 4 outs ago.

and I wouldn't worry too much about Hill's performance yet. if we are a month away from the post season and he is still walking people left and right, getting creamed with the long ball, then I would worry about it. for me, guys like Hill and Ryu are for the post season. we have enough pitching aside from those two to get to the post season anyway. but I would not trust the likes of Maeda come playoffs time.

another great game for Stanley Cup game #3. what a Saturday for sports.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Limited Liability 

Post#295 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 4, 2017 2:39 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Given that three prospects have been less than stellar for Oakland, I don't mind the rental as much as the double down in the offseason to prove this was a good deal. The bidding against ourselves to give a 37 year old a 3 year deal.

This guy isn't Greinke. He was never Greinke and we shouldn't have invested years into a guy that old with that kind of injury history.

Personally, I love what we're doing with the developmental aspects of our franchise and I actually dont mind "waiting" (read: not winning now) to develop Urias and Yadier behind Kershaw. I thought we had a good team with a shot? Sure. Did I think we were one trade away from our goal? That answer is no.

Imo we're in the same place we were at the last deadline....wondering if we have the #2 behind Kershaw with Kershaw getting ready to throw another Game 4 in the DS no matter if we're up 2-1 or down 2-1.

3 prospects.
$48 million more.
Same place.

I know you were and still are against the Hill contract and felt that we forced ourselves into bidding against ourselves in order to re-sign Hill to avoid losing the prospects traded for him for nothing. I believe I said this during our previous discussion on the matter but I'll reiterate, nonetheless: I'd rather pay Rich Hill what we gave him than what the Diamondbacks gave Greinke. I can't say that I'm enamored with Hill's contract, but I'm completely fine with it. He's only getting $16 million a year and it limits our liability to 3 seasons total.

He's having problems with the consistency of his curveball right now due to managing his blister issues, no doubt, but despite his age, I'm actually not concerned about him physically breaking down in the traditional sense. The blister seems like a relatively small issue but it's causing quite a lot of issues. I still think he'll figure things out shortly after the All-Star break.

Having said that, I'm not expecting him to be a workhorse and Neddy has previously said that his contract is reflected as such, which I agree with. Hill may not have been the ideal candidate but he was a calculated risk that afforded us time to figure things out further given how limited of a liability he is with respect to our team payroll situation. Given that, he was arguably our best option in the offseason.

Hill is not the only question mark in our rotation, but he's also part of a promising group that could be quite formidable once everyone figures everything out. I'm referring to Wood, McCarthy, Urias, Kershaw, and Hill. Each one of these pitchers have a decent likelihood of being at the top of their respective games before the season is over.
Ranma
RealGM

Cafardo: Baseball Observers Anticipate Dodgers to Be Active at Trade Deadline 

Post#296 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 4, 2017 3:34 am

Nick Cafardo, Boston Globe (6/3/17)
6. Los Angeles Dodgers — The Dodgers are one of the best teams in baseball, and they’re stacked. And with Brandon McCarthy pitching well again, that’s been a huge boost. But most talent evaluators think they’ll make a play for the top available starter, whether it be Ervin Santana, Hellickson, Archer, or someone else.

After Two Months of Baseball, Which Teams are Trending Up and Down?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Limited Liability 

Post#297 » by Neddy » Sun Jun 4, 2017 3:19 pm

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Given that three prospects have been less than stellar for Oakland, I don't mind the rental as much as the double down in the offseason to prove this was a good deal. The bidding against ourselves to give a 37 year old a 3 year deal.

3 prospects.
$48 million more.
Same place.

I know you were and still are against the Hill contract and felt that we forced ourselves into bidding against ourselves in order to re-sign Hill to avoid losing the prospects traded for him for nothing. I believe I said this during our previous discussion on the matter but I'll reiterate, nonetheless: I'd rather pay Rich Hill what we gave him than what the Diamondbacks gave Greinke. I can't say that I'm enamored with Hill's contract, but I'm completely fine with it. He's only getting $16 million a year and it limits our liability to 3 seasons total.

He's having problems with the consistency of his curveball right now due to managing his blister issues, no doubt, but despite his age, I'm actually not concerned about him physically breaking down in the traditional sense. The blister seems like a relatively small issue but it's causing quite a lot of issues. I still think he'll figure things out shortly after the All-Star break.

Having said that, I'm not expecting him to be a workhorse and Neddy has previously said that his contract is reflected as such, which I agree with. Hill may not have been the ideal candidate but he was a calculated risk that afforded us time to figure things out further given how limited of a liability he is with respect to our team payroll situation. Given that, he was arguably our best option in the offseason.

Hill is not the only question mark in our rotation, but he's also part of a promising group that could be quite formidable once everyone figures everything out. I'm referring to Wood, McCarthy, Urias, Kershaw, and Hill. Each one of these pitchers have a decent likelihood of being at the top of their respective games before the season is over.

the more i observe the investing behavior of guggenheim with our beloved dodgers, i no longer believe any immediate annual profit is their motive at all. i think owning the dodgers are for a long term asset management and current value of ownership is largely symbolic. of course, effecient use of that fund is a must, but what they gave Rich is an absorbable, manageable contract for just 3 years. even with Kazmir's deal combined, the heavy load is only for 2 more seasons(even then rhose two overlapping years of both contract are valued less per year than Zack's). Greinke's deal on the other hand, won't run out until Corey Seager hits the free agent market...
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#298 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:22 pm

Grandal, the GIDP King.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#299 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:25 pm

Honestly Grandal needs to bunt in that situation from now on.

No more rally killing with GIDPs

Ranma
RealGM

Maeda on Short Leash 

Post#300 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 5, 2017 6:06 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers