ImageImageImageImageImage

2017-18 J2 International Signings Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

2017-18 J2 International Signings Thread 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm going to update this opening post to reflect Baseball America's latest information of international signings for the Dodgers quoted at the bottom.

Ranma wrote:The new international signing guidelines have now instituted a hard cap on J2 signings, though we can sign as many prospects for $10,000 or less as we want without it counting toward our bonus pool. While the Dodgers are going to be allotted $4.75 million to sign international prospects within a given period, we can trade for more salary slots from other teams to push our pool total to the maximum amount of $8,312,500, which is $1.75 million less than any other team can spend.

In relation to the possibility of signing Shohei Otani, the Dodgers can only offer $300,000 if he were to make himself available within the next 12 months starting tomorrow. This is due to the fact that the organization is still serving its penalty for going over its allotted bonus pool in 2015. The most amount of money he'd be giving up to sign with us would be $9,762,500.

However, if we can convince him to wait maybe 4 months or so until July 2, 2018 based on the end of the NPB season and the start of MLB spring training, the Dodgers could offer the aforementioned $8-million+ max as a signing bonus to minimize his losses. If he were impatient, we can only hope that he really isn't concerned about money and will be confident enough in his ability to earn a big-money MLB contract later on based on his abilities. Who knows? Maybe he can use the extra time to recuperate from whatever ailments that are currently keeping him from pitching.

Of course, the Dodgers could offer him a contract extension after his first season with the team to a big-money deal, but MLB would come down on us for circumventing its salary regulations. However, as long as we don't actually promise to give him a big contract no matter what (e.g. injury, bad performance, etc.), I'd be willing to see the Dodgers take on MLB and fight it in court on the legality of signing him to a huge contract extension as a reward for performing well after his first MLB season assuming he does so and in appreciation of him taking less money to join us initially.

To be honest, it'd be better to avoid all the pains and headaches if we could get Shohei to wait a few months. In any case, I want to pull out all the stops in order to sign the guy.

Andrew Simon, MLB.com (6/30/17)
Under the new collective bargaining agreement, which went into effect prior to this season, the rules for signing international prospects are changing. Under the new rules, every team will get at least $4.75 million to spend on international prospects. However, teams that receive Competitive Balance Picks, which are given to clubs in small markets and/or with low revenue, will get slightly more.

Any team receiving a Competitive Balance Round A pick in the Draft will get $5.25 million in international bonus pool money, and teams receiving a Competitive Balance Round B pick will have $5.75 million to spend. A club can trade away as much of its international pool money as it would like, but a team can only acquire up to 75 percent of its initially allotted pool. That means the most any team can possibly spend is $10,062,500. It's also worth noting that signings of $10,000 or less do not count against a team's bonus pool.

The penalties
Under the previous CBA, teams could exceed their bonus pool, but would incur penalties that were dependent on the size of the overage. That is no longer the case, and each team now must deal with a "hard cap" that cannot be exceeded under any circumstances. That said, penalties teams incurred in past signing periods, under the previous CBA, still carry over to 2017. That affects the A's, Braves, Astros, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Nationals, Padres, Reds and Royals, each of whom are in the maximum penalty. That means they cannot sign international prospects for more than $300,000 in this signing period.

Teams Gear Up for International Signing Day

Ranma wrote:Longenhagen mentioned in his FanGraphs article, that this year's international class is weak since scouts prefer prospects who are projected to stick at shortstop while the strength of the talent crop seems to be with outfielders. Most of the prospects may have less projectability but are supposedly more developed physically.

While more signings are sure to come, it's interesting to see the Dodgers already loading up on SS prospects with 4 commitments and 2 OFers in the fold so far.

Ben Badler, Baseball America (7/3/17)
Los Angeles Dodgers
George Heredia, of, Dominican Republic, $300,000.
Amin Valdez, ss, Dominican Republic, $300,000.
Eddys Leonard, ss, Dominican Republic, $200,000.
Yhostin Chirinos, ss, Venezuela
Jorbit Vivas, ss, Venezuela
Rushenten Tomsjansen, of, Curacao
Jesus Valdez, ss, Dominican Republic
Jonathan Alvarez, rhp, Dominican Republic
Mayron Cathalina, of, Aruba
Axel Acevedo, rhp, Dominican Republic
Vladimir Perez, ss, Dominican Republic
Martin Santana, rhp, Dominican Republic
Bennony Robles, lhp, Dominican Rpeublic
Brayan Rodriguez, of, Dominican Republic
Jenderson Jardines, c, Venezuela
Randy Rodriguez, inf, Dominican Republic
Jimmie Feliz, of, Dominican Republic
Imanol Vargas, of, Dominican Republic
Jeffry Abreu, rhp, Domincian Republic
Andrew Budier, lhp, Nicaragua
Jeisson Cabrera, rhp, Dominican Republic
Darlin Camilo, rhp, Dominican Republic
Daniel Cruz, rhp, Dominican Republic
Carlos de loe Santos, rhp, Dominican Republic
Jonathan Vasquez, rhp, Dominican Republic

2017 Team-by-Team International Signing Tracker
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Reminiscing About Gurriel Brothers 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:01 pm

Ranma wrote:
Also, it's not like we're in desperate need, but I'm still curious why we didn't sign the Gurriel boys. Lourdes was hurt and Yulieski seemed like nice right-handed option when there were question marks and holes on the roster. I'm happy with the roster as is,
so I'm not really bemoaning missing out on Yuli, but I still like the idea of Tito in our developmental pipeline despite the fact that he's currently struggling after returning from injury.

Read on Twitter

Top Int'l Prospects: Gurriel Jr.
08/09/16 | 01:18
2016 MLB.com Top International Prospects: Some evaluators believe Lourdes Gurriel Jr. could be considered the best player in the 2016 class.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Sign of Life in International Signing Activity 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:07 pm

Ranma wrote:Given the restrictions imposed upon the Dodgers, I'm not surprised that we're not really in the running for any of the top-30-rated international prospects, but I do expect a bunch of smaller signings. Our lead international scout, Ismael Cruz, is known for doing well with the under-the-radar type signings so I'm looking forward to seeing our final haul despite not having any idea who we're targeting or even who they are right now.

Jesse Sanchez noted in his video in the MLB.com article cited below that the Bahamas and Brazil are emerging markets for baseball prospects, so I'm curious to see if have a significant presence in those territories.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

What About Otani? 

Post#4 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:08 pm

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:I'm so glad we attacked the 2015 International deadline the way we did given the new rules have taken that advantage away from us.

Would have been perfect if the Giants didnt get butthurt and steal Lucius Fox at the 11th hour.

I am too, but I am concerned how that affects our ability to go after Shohei Otani. If he wants to come over for next season and won't wait the few months, I may actually regret our 2015 activity as Otani looks to be worth our entire haul from that year's signings. That sounds a little strange given that Yadier Alvarez has such a high ceiling almost comparable to Otani's as a pitcher but it's highly doubtful that he'll ever develop the full arsenal that the Japanese phenom possesses.

Obviously, a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush, so I shouldn't really be playing the second-guessing game.
Ranma
RealGM

Eddys Leonard DPL Profile 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:11 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

David Swerdloff, DPLbaseball.com (5/8/17)
Analysis: Eddys Leonard has the ability to make consistent contact with gap to gap power. His above-average speed allows him to fully utilize his contact and power giving him the ability to extend singles into doubles and doubles into triples. Combining his speed with a high baseball IQ, at 16-years-old, and you get a player who will have the ability to steal bases at every level. His speed also gives him good range at short, while his arm strength and quick hands will allow him to be an above average defender.

Class of 2017 Player Profile: Eddys Leonard, MIF

Ranma
RealGM

Amin Valdez DPL Profile 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:15 pm

Ranma wrote:David Swerdloff, DPLbaseball.com (5/8/17)
Analysis: Amin Valdez is a flashy shortstop with a very quick release and soft hands. He generates effortless pop with smooth mechanics. With an immense amount of polish already in his game, he is more advanced than most middle infielders his age and even older. Expect Valdez to make an impact right away in pro ball after he signs in 2017.

Class of 2017 Player Profile: Amin Valdez, MIF
Ranma
RealGM

Sounds Like Red Sox Found a Keeper 

Post#7 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:29 pm

First, Boston drafts and signs my personal favorite Alex Scherff. Now they seem to be getting a Benito Santiago or Sandy Alomar, Jr. in Daniel Flores. I love elite defensively skilled catchers, especially those who flash potential with the bat, which is why I get excited about certain catching prospects despite my general aversion to drafting that position early in the draft.

Makes me wonder further why we didn't bring in more of the Red Sox's amateur scouts when we revamped the scouting staff given that organization's track record and their preferences seeming to align with mine. I mean Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley, Jr., Andrew Benintendi, and Mookie Betts. Wow. I'll even admit that I wasn't high on Benintendi in 2015 during his draft year and, man, did I miss the boat on him.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Missing Out on Bahamas & Brazil 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 2, 2017 11:08 pm

Based on Longenhagen's response, I'm disappointed to hear that we're behind in establishing scouting presences in the Bahamas and Brazil since those two territories are noted for having a nascent crop of talent. It's especially disappointing given the Dodgers' history of pioneering into areas of talent discovery.

To be fair, it doesn't sound like we're totally ignoring those areas; it's just that we don't have a strong presence and it looks like we're still trying to do work in rebuilding our previously established network post-McCourt. Given that, I can see why we wouldn't prioritize exploring new territories with unestablished reputations thus far, but it's something I certainly hope we rectify in the near future.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Outfielder from Curacao Signed 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:03 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Linked to Venezuelans 

Post#10 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:10 pm

Dustin Nosler, DodgersDigest.com (7/3/17)
Ben Badler of Baseball America has the Dodgers linked to other prospects — all from Venezuela — who didn’t sign on the first day:

RHP Laubert Arias
SS Eynar Machi
LHP Luisneyer Perez
SS Carlos Santiago

It remains to be seen if the Dodgers actually sign any of these guys.

Dodgers Sign 8 Players on the First Day of the 2017-18 International Signing Period
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Sign 26 International Prospects in 2 Days 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 4, 2017 4:23 am

I'm not sure why Badler continues to not include Julio Enrique in his updates on BA's signing tracker, but below are the current lists per Dodger Insider. Also, the 4 names mentioned by Nosler as being connected to the Dodgers in the post above are still not listed for any teams in BA's signing tracker, so we may push our total to at least 30 signings fairly soon.

Read on Twitter

Rowan Kavner, DodgerInsider.com (7/3/17)

Dodgers Announce Signings of International Prospects
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Targeting Antonio Cabello for 2018-19? 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 7, 2017 8:52 am

I don't have access to the paid-subscription content on Baseball America, but it looks like the Dodgers are targeting Venezuelan catching prospect Antonio Cabello for the next period of the J2 international pool of prospects for 2018-19.

Cabello is actually listed among the current crop of the 2017-18 international prospects, but has yet to sign with any MLB team according to BA's international signing tracker, so he may be delaying until the next signing period in order to get more interest and money a la Vladimir Gutierrez. This would make sense since he's not ranked as high as the more celebrated catching prospect Daniel Flores, who is ranked 2nd overall by both Baseball America and MLB Pipeline. Cabello was ranked 15th overall by BA for 2017-18 on June 27th, 2017 while MLB.com has him ranked 8th overall in its current rankings of international prospects.

While Ben Badler raves about Flores--whom I'm also sold on--Cabello's versatile and athletic profile along with his competitive makeup fit the Dodgers' preference. Outside of the tweet referenced below and the hashtags in the accompanying locked article, I haven't found any other connections to the Dodgers and Cabello, but as I just illustrated, he makes a lot of sense for the organization to target.

Until I get more solid information to start a new thread for the next international signing period, I'll post about Antonio Cabello and possibly other international prospects linked to us in this thread for now.

Read on Twitter

Top Int'l Prospects: Cabello, C
05/03/17 | 00:26
2017 MLB.com Top International Prospects: Antonio Cabello is a strong, athletic catcher who is extremely competitive on the field.

[MLB Prospect Profile Below Embedded with Hyperlink to MLB.com Video]

Ranma
RealGM

Osiel Rodriguez 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Gyroball Hurling High Schooler from Taiwan 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:42 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Eyeing Maitan & Puason 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Maitan Going to Anaheim 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Gutierrez Goes to Philly 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:25 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

RHP Guillermo Zuniga, Formerly of the Braves, Now a Dodger 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Cabello Signs with Yankees 

Post#19 » by Ranma » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:29 am

Either the Yankees sniped us on Antonio Cabello like the Giants did with Lucius Fox or our supposed interest in him was overstated.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Miffed with Ohtani 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Thu Mar 8, 2018 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers