2017-18 OFF-SEASON

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:56 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: 2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:35 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

well this part of our offseason is irrelevant to us. we don't have any pending free agents that are
A) worth offering the qualifying offer unless someone thinks Ethier needs to be kept
B) guys who may be worth offering, are not eligible for compensatory picks. I don't believe none out of Yu/Watson/Morrow/any other players we have expiring can be given a pick when they sign elsewhere.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#3 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:51 am

if our lineup shows enough firepower in NLCS, I will stop promoting a trade proposal for Stanton. but at the same time, we get to drop a ton of bad contracts get to expire after this season, Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier are the main two along with a bunch of smaller deals. only bad deal we will have come 2018 is Gonzo. that also means we may get to drop below the luxury tax by next season as a champ.

looking at the probable roster,
our OF of Puig/Pederson/Verdugo/Thompson/Toles are going to be dirt cheap.
our IF of Bellinger/Taylor/Seager/Turner/****/? will be dirt cheap despite Turner's deal as everyone else is still under team control without much raise through arbitration yet.
our catching staff may become cheaper than dirt next year if Grandal is traded and we run with Barnes and Farmer.
it is our pitching staff that is gonna be super expensive pitching staff lead by Kershaw. after him though, we do have some dead money in Kazmir, and question mark in McCarthy who makes a bundle, Hill is making no joke of a salary. between these four guys it will be 75 million. you add Kenley's 10, now it's 85 mil. Ryu's contract is poultry 7 mil, and it pushes the sum to 92 million dollars among 6 pitchers alone. on top of that, Wood should be eligible for an arbitration, and Kenta's incentive laden deal could swing both ways. in other words, we could be paying upwards of 110 million dollars between 8 pitchers next season.

still tho, it's not all that bad considering by the end of 2018 and the mad dash of free agency starts, we will shed Kazmir, Ryu's deal will be over, and if Hill is still 90% of himself at the end of next season, he could be traded to a team in need of a top of the rotation type of a guy. I still believe McCarthy can be mentally rehabbed. by 2019, we can be very slim with our payroll and able to add some significant pieces.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Something to Consider with Respect to Grandal 

Post#4 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:28 am

Neddy wrote:well this part of our offseason is irrelevant to us. we don't have any pending free agents that are
A) worth offering the qualifying offer unless someone thinks Ethier needs to be kept
B) guys who may be worth offering, are not eligible for compensatory picks. I don't believe none out of Yu/Watson/Morrow/any other players we have expiring can be given a pick when they sign elsewhere.

Quake Griffin wrote:****.

Just saw the Qualifying Offer price on your twitter.

We gotta deal Yasmani THIS winter.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:27 pm

The QO can only get worse and I can see Yasmani Grandal pulling a Brett Anderson if we extend him the QO. It's possible he can reject it in favor of a deal that would give him more years but I doubt he can get that much in AAV for a multi year deal on the open market. He has every incentive to bet on himself, take the $17 million QO, and then go after a long term contract at age 30.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#6 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 pm

you guys really think Grandal is worth the 17 million QO? I guess that's not really the question here tho. on the other hand, now that a first round pick is no longer the price, I can see many teams wanting Grandal for multiyear deal at around 10 to 12 million annually. either way, I think next season's Barnes is going to be an offensive upgrade for sure.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Neddy wrote:you guys really think Grandal is worth the 17 million QO? I guess that's not really the question here tho. on the other hand, now that a first round pick is no longer the price, I can see many teams wanting Grandal for multiyear deal at around 10 to 12 million annually. either way, I think next season's Barnes is going to be an offensive upgrade for sure.

The point was that he isn’t and we’d either lose him for nothing next offseason or extend him the QO that he IS NOT worth to try and get a pick for him.

My guess is he agrees to the QO if we extend it to him because he’s only 29 and he can get a multi-year deal the offseason after that.
I’d like to avoid this scenario by trading him this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:you guys really think Grandal is worth the 17 million QO? I guess that's not really the question here tho. on the other hand, now that a first round pick is no longer the price, I can see many teams wanting Grandal for multiyear deal at around 10 to 12 million annually. either way, I think next season's Barnes is going to be an offensive upgrade for sure.

The point was that he isn’t and we’d either lose him for nothing next offseason or extend him the QO that he IS NOT worth to try and get a pick for him.

My guess is he agrees to the QO if we extend it to him because he’s only 29 and he can get a multi-year deal the offseason after that.
I’d like to avoid this scenario by trading him this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I agree. it is time for Austin Barnes to shine. Yaz would bring us back a good haul if he would agree to an extension to the team that would trade for him.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Ryu Can Opt Out of 2018 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:54 pm

While perusing Spotrac, I noticed that Hyun-Jin Ryu can opt out of the $7,833,333 (salary + signing bonus) due to him next season. With the high demand for starting pitching and the low supply of quality free agents, I expect the Scott Boras client to exercise that option.

As shown by his absence from the postseason roster so far, Ryu's place in the rotation is questionable. He should be able to get more long-term security while choosing the situation that provides him with more assurance of pitching regularly this winter.

Ron Cervenka, ThinkBlueLA.com (10/27/16)

2017 Might Be Ryu’s Last Season with Dodgers
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#10 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 pm

That’s fine.

I’m more interested in bringing Yu back into the fold and hoping that convinces Otani to join the fold as well.

Having Ryu is a luxury at this point anyway. Of course he fluctuates between luxury and necessity given who is injured but at this time, he’s more luxury to me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Ryu Can Opt Out of 2018 

Post#11 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Ranma wrote:While perusing Spotrac, I noticed that Hyun-Jin Ryu can opt out of the $7,833,333 (salary + signing bonus) due to him next season. With the high demand for starting pitching and the low supply of quality free agents, I expect the Scott Boras client to exercise that option.

As shown by his absence from the postseason roster so far, Ryu's place in the rotation is questionable. He should be able to get more long-term security while choosing the situation that provides him with more assurance of pitching regularly this winter.

Ron Cervenka, ThinkBlueLA.com (10/27/16)

2017 Might Be Ryu’s Last Season with Dodgers

Sportrac is wrong.

Ryu's option was to be automatically triggered if he had pitched 180 to 200 innings per season in the last whatever years as the first half of the sentence where you highlighted states. the moment his shoulder got injured, that option was erased immediately since he could not meet that 750 inning requirement. Ryu has no option anymore and he is our employee next season.

and I would more worry about Maeda's spot in the rotation than Ryu's. I wonder if Wood will need an off season surgery. he doesn't look right to me.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Reading Comprehension is Key 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Neddy wrote:Sportrac is wrong.

Ryu's option was to be automatically triggered if he had pitched 180 to 200 innings per season in the last whatever years as the first half of the sentence where you highlighted states. the moment his shoulder got injured, that option was erased immediately since he could not meet that 750 inning requirement. Ryu has no option anymore and he is our employee next season.

and I would more worry about Maeda's spot in the rotation than Ryu's. I wonder if Wood will need an off season surgery. he doesn't look right to me.

This one's on me. I misinterpreted the Spotrac listing since it's technically true. I even missed the portion in the article I cited stating that Ryu needed to pitch a lot of innings in 2017 for it to trigger. Thanks for clearing this up and pointing out my error, Neddy.

At least now I can speculate that we deal him in the off-season for prospects before he hits free agency after next season. I was perusing the Mariners' top prospects rankings to see what we could get for him.
Ranma
RealGM

Change in Representation for Toles 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Adrian Gone to Italy 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:02 pm

While I find it hard to believe that Gonzalez would leave over $22 million on the table by retiring before the 2018 season, maybe this prompts or otherwise indicates that the Dodgers will be looking to trade his contract to offload salaries in order to get below the luxury tax. Linking him to the Mexican League is a particularly intriguing bit of news.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Speculation and Regret 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 am

Joel Sherman, New York Post (10/25/17)
But the fact that Pederson is not in center tells a lot about his status with the team now — and perhaps moving forward.

This season, Chris Taylor slowly evolved into the regular center fielder and bench coach Bob Geren said the staff believes he is now superior defensively to Pederson, which is why the more experienced center fielder was in left. Also, Taylor is now seen as the likely starting center fielder moving forward.

Ethier will be gone as a free agent, as will Curtis Granderson. But Alex Verdugo is among the game’s top prospects and is near ready to play full time, Yasiel Puig just had his best year, Andrew Toles (who the front office is intrigued by) is due back in 2018 after missing most of this season and Kiké Hernandez plays a bunch of outfield.

Thus, it is possible Pederson could become a trade piece in the offseason.

Are We Seeing the Last of Joc Pederson with the Dodgers?

Matt Calkins, Seattle Times (10/26/17)
“It’s clearly the worst deal I’ve ever made,” Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto said. “And it resonates every time he hits a home run.”

“I whiffed. There’s no other way to categorize it,” Dipoto said. “He’s young, he was under club control — that was one I wish I could undo.”

‘I Whiffed’: Trading Chris Taylor is Jerry Dipoto’s Biggest Regret, But He Deals in Stride
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Adrian Gone to Italy 

Post#16 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Ranma wrote:While I find it hard to believe that Gonzalez would leave over $22 million on the table by retiring before the 2018 season, maybe this prompts or otherwise indicates that the Dodgers will be looking to trade his contract to offload salaries in order to get below the luxury tax. Linking him to the Mexican League is a particularly intriguing bit of news.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

is Gonzo about become the real life Jack Elliot and get traded to a foreign league?
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

The New Mr. Baseball 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:32 pm

Neddy wrote:is Gonzo about become the real life Jack Elliot and get traded to a foreign league?

One can only hope for the sake of the Dodgers' payroll for 2018, but it's wishful thinking on our part.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: The New Mr. Baseball 

Post#18 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:is Gonzo about become the real life Jack Elliot and get traded to a foreign league?

One can only hope for the sake of the Dodgers' payroll for 2018, but it's wishful thinking on our part.

I don't think that is legal, that's why. I looked into the MLB rule book after watching the Mr. Baseball more than 2 decades ago and it was clear at least then, a team cannot trade a player to a foreign league. they can sell the minor league/split deal contracts to foreign leagues if a player accepts the deal, but that is with minor leaguers who are on AAAA treadmill who finally got a chance for a payday in foreign soil, with a small fee to the major league ball club for releasing such player, but a current major leaguer on a rich contract, such as fictitious Jack Elliot or real live person Gonzo, is not allowed.

only way this happens is if Gonzo retires from MLB, thus the 22 million evaporates, then he can sign with a foreign team. that is my understanding and always has been since I have done the research on this subject a life time ago. perhaps the rules have changed, but I really don't think a trade can actually happen.

then again, Al Davis traded his headcoach for draft picks....
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Rick Honeycutt's Future 

Post#19 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Rick Honeycutt's Future 

Post#20 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

he will have a place in our organization. I am not worried.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers