ImageImageImageImageImage

2017-18 OFF-SEASON

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#321 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Not doing what you want to do with spending doesn’t make someone cheap.
There’s a lot if incorrect information in that post.

—————-

And this franchise doesn’t have to prove anything to Kershaw. Kershaw owes this franchise and its fans for years of his mental fragility and choking in the postseason, including but not limited to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: 2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#322 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:43 pm

The Cubs steal Brandon Morrow from us.

I don’t see why we had to lose him but whatever the **** ever.

They get better, we begin a search for a setup man.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#323 » by Kilroy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:28 am

Not sure what's going on right now... Did they decide since we didn't actually win the WS, they didn't want to pay anymore?
Morrow may have been our most reliable pitcher in the post season.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#324 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Kilroy wrote:Not sure what's going on right now... Did they decide since we didn't actually win the WS, they didn't want to pay anymore?
Morrow may have been our most reliable pitcher in the post season.

Must be injury history. Must be the idea that they think they can find set up men for cheap.

2015 - Hatcher (who WAS good in the playoffs even though he sucked overall).
2016 - Blanton who was incredible in the regular season but tossed meatballs in the postseason.
2017 - Morrow.

I thought approaching Morrow like he was the previous two - just another arm that might be burn out - was a mistake. He has much better stuff than the other two and I thought because of that, he could survive on a 2-3 year deal. If this team truly was approaching this offseason as win-now/ only one game away, this is what I'd consider a huge loss.

In on more 6 out saves.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Bad Deals of Past Haunts Present Trade Flexibility 

Post#325 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Disappointing Offseason So Far 

Post#326 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm more bummed about losing Ohtani than I am in missing out on Stanton, though we can't ignore how bad signings in the Kazmir and McCarthy deals cost us in being able to pull the trigger. Stanton's durability and the DH were also factors, which is why I'm not bemoaning the missed opportunity to add him.

However, losing out on Morrow is just another significant loss for our team this offseason. Now we'll have to trade for Britton, who will cost more in money and prospects, to capably fill the void in our bullpen. Britton himself has health concerns and Morrow was arguably more proven in that regard.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#327 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:34 pm

I wasnt big on Stanton but if I was, A-Gon being in the way pisses me off.

I have begged for this guy to be traded for 2 years now when he had some value. We could have at least offset SOME of his salary. Everybody is so scared to put a "hole" on the roster that we don't take the long term view of our franchise into consideration. The long term should have been considered in this scenario as A-Gon's regression didn't warrant us to continue doing business with him as usual, he obviously wasnt in our long term plans, and it isn't like he's a life long Dodger (not this last one means anything to me...but I know it does to others).

Now he's old, bad back, untradeable, and probably needs to be designated for assignment.

SMFH
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#328 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am

Heyman reporting that Stanton’s agent said it would be difficult for Stanton to be a Giant since he was a Dodger fan.

A little confirmation from a lot of our suspicions.

I hate the Yankees too but whatever.

Very surprised Jeter used the words, “be patient” in reference to Marlins fans today. I always thought those were keyvwords you dont say when rebuilding.

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#329 » by Dloading99 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:13 am

it's obvious Jeter Colluded with the Yankees to give them a gift like Stanton. obviously that was always the plan. but this is why I hate the Yankees. they get everybody. Reggie Jackson Roger Clemens Alex Rodriguez and now Giancarol Stanton probably the most exciting player in Baseball. and knowing them they'll probably sign Bryce Harper to say FU to all of baseball.

This on the Dodgers Stanton did everything to set it up for the Dodgers to get this superstar. but once again Mark and Andrew got Cheap and didn't want to take on the contract and pay a star in his 30's hopefully they have a plan to nickel and dime.

after acquiring Adrian Gonzalez no more star players. We should trade for Yoenis Cespides so we can give Bellinger some middle of the lineup protection. Cespedes Bellinger Turner Puig looks good.

AS for Morrow once again not wanting to pay people. who's out there to sign I don't know they'll figure it out.

Kind of sucks but looking at what the cubs are doing who knows if we get back to the World Series. I think we will. but how \are we going to beat a Yankees team of Stanton and Judge that's a damn shame.

Maybe we can sign a gamer Like CC sabathia on a 1 year deal. he is a gamer in the playoffs as he showed against Cleveland. or maybe Cleveland wants to trade Andrew Miller.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#330 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm

So Yu Darvish was tipping pitches in the WS?

Another suspicion most of us had that was confirmed by an anonymous Astros player.
It's another reason to try and sign him...."hey, all we have to do is fix the tipping issue".

Looks like Friedman said we are good in terms of starting pitching though yesterday at the winter meetings. I strongly object to that (if the theory is win now) given that our leader is an October choke and we don't have a bona fide number 2.
Ranma
RealGM

Buehler Gets Nod to Start in 2018 

Post#331 » by Ranma » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Hence Archer, Britton, and Hopefully, Machado...Maybe Cole 

Post#332 » by Ranma » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:02 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Gag Me with a Spoon 

Post#333 » by Ranma » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#334 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:34 am

Confirming my suspicions from the 1st week of the offseason that we are going to re-sign Yu even though most don’t want it. I don’t think we spent time vetting him in August to abandon him now. Plus, I’m sure for the “at least he’ll get you to October” crowd, his addition makes a 6th NL West crown seem imminent.

Glad Walker will be a starter.
Kershaw
Yu
Richie
Alex
Walker

Not a bad regular season 5. I certainly am not confident carrying that into October though as I think it carries the same problems we’ve always had.

And....I don’t mind pursuing Manny or Longoria....moreso Manny. I would kick Turner to 1st and put Bellinger in LF. This solves the issue of having to platoon Toles/RHB or sticking Verdugo there who has been debated on this forum. Cody gives Justin spells at 1st when necessary.

I’d give up 1B defense to add a RHB like Machado or Longoria. Machado could also take SS and kick Seager to 3rd.

Ranma
RealGM

Hunter Ain't No Morrow 

Post#335 » by Ranma » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#336 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 am

Otani with the damaged UCL.

Not sure whether that means his 2018 will be put on ice.

Still worth the investment IMO, just like I thought Walker Buehler was.

Ranma
RealGM

Hunter to Philadelphia Instead 

Post#337 » by Ranma » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:21 am

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#338 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:55 am

Reportedly out of the Ozuna sweepstakes.

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#339 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Otani with the damaged UCL.

Not sure whether that means his 2018 will be put on ice.

Still worth the investment IMO, just like I thought Walker Buehler was.

well, this explained a lot of things for me, such as our FO's lukewarm interest in him. we possibly had better scouting report... and if you really think about it, it was a no brainer. the Fighters knew Shohei was hurt following the 2016 Japan Series, when Ohtani just about single handedly took his team to win it all against the most fateful, our own Hiroki Kuroda's Hiroshima Carp. we all know he barely pitched in 2017, and it was simply to showcase to the American scouts... and his hitting took a small dive as well compared to the season before. when they pulled him out of the national team following the Japan Series and said he had an "ankle injury", I knew something was up, because I stayed up late watching those games via stream feed from right here in Oregon... and didn't think he was hurt. anywho... the kid is real, but for us, we are too competitive of a club to cater to his preference of a complete commitment of dedicated at bats per season to develop him as a hitter if he shows any signs of weakness early on, when we are under pressure to win every game for the next WS' home field advantage. I am also glad for the young man taking advantage of the current collective bargaining agreement to come to US early to save his arm, as well as his honor by coming right away at the rookie minimum, knowing any team will be willing to invest the league minimum for a guy who might need to be babied for a year or two before he can crank it back up, but comes with a world of potential, is more than a fair trade to any piss poor franchise.

well, talking too much now.
good luck to the youngster, nothing but love for the kid.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#340 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:52 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Heyman says Yankees have deal for Stanton.

Good luck keeping that team in the park...particularly their park.

Fantastic imo.
Glad our franchise is avoiding this mistake.

isn't their first base open now that Texieria is retired? can't imagine them running Greg Bird out there everyday. between Stanton and Judge, whoever is worse RF should move to first. If I am Brian Cashman, I am protecting my 300 million dollar investment and move him to the first, but Judge is a big boy, maybe too big to be lumbering around out there.

Isn’t Greg Bird like 25? Why not?

Btw, you know Dave Dumbass Browski wants to make a splash to respond to this...

GM Quake’s got you Dave.
Gimme a call.
I got that splash for you.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

sorry, I've been really busy lately and haven't had a chance to check back with the forum...

but anywho, Greg Bird has the size of a first baseman, has the look of a first baseman, but I think his defense is suspect, and the fact that he is rather a high SO hitter in the minors and has been consistently, as well as a fairly high BABIP player, makes him a candidate for being a lucky bastard to get a call up that he didn't deserve, aka a recipient of the annual ( and this is the inaugural year) Blake DeWitt Award.

I do have to say, he has a knack for getting on base and I think he has a decent chance to make it as well, and his power is real... his power is obviously not at his current teammates such as Aaron Judge, or GianCarlo Stanton's level, but he is clearly capable of mustering a pair of 30 HR seasons in the majors. the problem is, that if given a full season of at bats for 10 seasons in his career, I think in order for him to try hit 30 HRs every season, he will swing like Joc and eventually come crashing down, resulting in similar range of .220 BA when pitchers figure him out and work his ass off to get a slight advantage just to crash down again.

at the same time, I also see a path where he can be a star, by cutting down on Ks and start to slow down the game and become a better defender. he already hits at such low GIDP rate......

well?I have said a lot of things already, but just wanna say to end this thought, that if Greg Bird ever makes it to be a star in MLB, it will be because of his bat speed. he has my respect for that department of his game, which is actually, very positive in my book.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers