2017-18 OFF-SEASON

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#481 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Tim Lincecum hits 93 on the gun.

I believe we sent someone to his showcase.

Bullpen arm?
Unbelievable if he's still trying to be a starter.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#482 » by Neddy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:25 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Tim Lincecum hits 93 on the gun.

I believe we sent someone to his showcase.

Bullpen arm?
Unbelievable if he's still trying to be a starter.

I highly doubt he is looking to join any team as a reliever. if he was, he would have signed with the GIants when they offered him the chance multiple times. he has earned over 100 million dollars before tax, I doubt he wants to return because he needs $$$. it is about his pride, he will want to be a starter.

If I am wrong and we get him for the pen, I won't complain tho.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#483 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Giants sign Tony Watson to a multi year deal.

Can anyone remind me why we were so comfortable with him walking again? I cant remember why but I feel like there was a good reason.

Good god we wasted the best bullpen we’ve had in the 2010s with the **** choking.

Watson nails.
Morrow nails.
Kenley ‘Mariano’ Jansen nails when not being forced to go for 6 outs with weak managing.

I’m not sure we can match that again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#484 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Eric Hosmer is now in the division.

The Padres are on to something.
I think they’re going to be a thorn in our side soon enough.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#485 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:20 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-catchers-20180217-story.html

In a bit of a shock to me.
Not only are we not trading Grandal, Dave indicates he’s probably our starting catcher.

It’s puzzling to me.

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#486 » by Dloading99 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:48 am

So Ramna Quake Griffin Where are yall at?

I came in here get the post. talking about how great of a trade that was for Matt Kemp. my boy Matt Kemp. like I said he can still hit home runs. he likes being in L.A. and he's going to stay in L.A. he looks dedicated to the game. like I said being on this team changes a player. having a chance at a world series changes a player.

And what do you know Three run home run today Matt Kemp in his first game as a dodger. HAHA HAHA Lol. you and David Vasey. he's going to be flipped not even a play he'll get an invite to spring training . no way he makes the team. really this guy is a player. Glad we have Matt Kemp. and Dave Roberts with Matt Kemp can work wonders look at Puig.

you put Kemp with Bellinger and Seager and Turner this is a good squad with the bats. and we have guys who can balance his defense. I like this squad. we are deep at all positions.

I'm pissed about the pitching thing but hopefully Walker Buehler solidifies that. NL west Champs here we come we better get that World Series cause the Cubs are ready.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#487 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 pm

We can do better in LF than Matt Kemp. It’s that simple. I’m actually not going to spend all season arguing about LF, possibly the least important position in roster construction. There are better hills to die on than Matt Kemp, btw.

Congrats to him on the weight loss and his HR yesterday.

The Cubs are ready how?
Lester is 34 and declining.
Quintana and Hendricks are just solid mid rotation guys (admittedly, I did want Quintana a year ago).

You remedy that by signing a 32 year old Darvish who choked in the World Series?

Morrow at closer? Well. Ok. We’ll see.
Strop? Edwards? This is an elite setup crew?
I trust Kenley and Friedman’s bullpen construction year in and year out.

I know Friedman has 0 rings but the evidence over the last couple years shows Theo Epstein is copying Friedman’s style, not vice versa. In hindsight, it’s no surprise we dominated them in the 2017 CS.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#488 » by Neddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Kemp is projected to post no better stat line than Toles. wish we can trade him for ham sandwich. dont wish to keep him for the next 2 seasons N pay him 40 million to do so. he cant get on base unless he makes a hit anymore, cant run and cant glove. he is a skinnier Mann Ramirez with glove in the outfield, N turns into Juan Pierre when asked to take a walk. no thanks.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#489 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:31 pm

It’s reported that we are in on Lincecum along with 2 others.

Has to be as a bullpen arm.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#490 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 4, 2018 1:55 am

Love this

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#491 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 4, 2018 10:48 pm

With Koehler potentially missing months, we’re already off to a great start replacing Morrow.

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#492 » by Dloading99 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 am

Hey Ramna Hey Griffin that's another Home Run for Matt Kemp you ready to give the man props. Cause he's making this team. and He's BALLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Barely Worthy of a Gold-Star Sticker 

Post#493 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:01 am

Dloading99 wrote:Hey Ramna Hey Griffin that's another Home Run for Matt Kemp you ready to give the man props. Cause he's making this team. and He's BALLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down. It's only spring training. Save the plaudits until he at least puts up big numbers against Major League pitching by the All-Star break. It's encouraging but not even anything to engrave a plaque for.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#494 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 pm

If Dloading99 is gonna participate in the forum and be a Matt Kemp supporter, I'm cool with it. If he's just gonna drop by only to troll about Matt Kemp, I will just ignore his posts.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Funkhouser More Miss Than Even Swing 

Post#495 » by Ranma » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:21 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Given Cole’s struggles, I do think a Buehler who reaches his potential will be better than him. Given his injury history as well, I’d bank on the younger guy and deal with his mechanic issues vs. spending an asset to acquire another pitcher who stays injured.

Archer is much more arguable to me and they share a similar profile. Archer’s performance via raw stats the last 2 years leaves a lot to be desired but the peripherals are still there. You still have to ask what is up with the departure from the previously very good raw numbers.

I’m obviously not big on Cole but I am more so in on Archer. I’ve discussed acquiring him thus winter but I’ve always had Buehler off limits for the winter.

I’m also big on deGrom given his stuff and the fact that he has shown he isn’t scared of October. The Mets ownership has taken a beating this winter from the media and fans. They have tried to deal Harvey. Wheeler is seemingly broken. They are in no position to win. I think deGrom could/should be had unless their front office is going to be stubborn.

The question of Buehler comes from a perspective of being interested in the developmental aspects of our team and what’s good value. He’s untouchable to me unless some great players are coming back (Trout etc etc.) I’m obviously throwing Peyton “under the bus” in a completely different context and for different reasons.

I never liked Funkhouser but he is in lockstep with a Buehler and Kendall - a top 10 guy who fell out of that slot for various reasons. At the time, he was a high upside pick that we thought we could develop at decent slot money. On draft night people thought he might not be signable...nobody said, “hey look. Watch this guy tailspin into a 4th round pick.”

He is a textbook swing and miss type pick...in lock step with other swing and miss 1st round picks. You just don’t like him.

Do I fault you for not liking him? No. But to act like they aren’t taking swing and miss chances in the draft? Meh. You’re gonna have to continue to reach back to SD to hold onto the skepticism. He’s been fine here.

I've made a point to not frequent this forum for a while, so I haven't read any post since but I've been meaning to reply to this post for quite some time.

First, with regards to Buehler. While I wasn't as high on him as you have been, I liked him just fine. I even anticipated him eventually reaching top overall prospect in the Dodgers' system at some point. My main concern has always been his health and mechanics, but that doesn't mean that I never valued him as a prospect. Other than that, I've loved his stuff since his spike in sustained velocity. I've even advocated for him to be our 5th starter for this season. Hopefully, he and Urias will put their injury concerns behind them and start to show their wares starting mid-season. Proposing to trade him for frontline starters is not disrespecting him.

With regards to Funkhouser and the "swing and miss" philosophy I've espoused, you misinterpret what that means. As I've mentioned in one of my posts on the Clippers forum, there has to be a realistic possibility of hitting on a high-upside ceiling in a prospect, which means frontline starting pitcher or star position player. Funkhouser never fit that description when we drafted him as he was more likely to miss and even if he were to hit, his upside even now is as maybe a mid-rotation starter, however, it's more likely that he'll be a reliever if he makes it to the Major Leagues. He's still not a top 100 prospect and I doubt he'll get there any time soon.

Yes, Funkhouser was once under brief consideration to be a top overall draft pick in preseason college rankings, but it's just lazy evaluation to just stop there and call him a "swing and miss" guy while using a first-round selection on him. My distaste for Funkhouser had to do with his decreased stuff and lack of control just prior to the Dodgers drafting him. He had trouble commanding pitches and, if I recall correctly, there were concerns with his arm at the time given his drop in stuff. On top of that, his best pitch was a straight fastball lacking in movement even at its best despite the high velocity.

He was tailspinning his way out of the first round in the 2015 draft until Gasparino stopped that slide for whatever reason. Furthermore, he fell into the 4th round in the following draft for good reason as most evaluators didn't think as highly of him as Boras and he himself did by riding the coattails of that once lofty reputation that faded quickly. He is just now apparently healthy enough to start pitching regularly. Buying low with more anticipated decline without a high payoff is only "swing and miss" in the literal sense rather than what the true aim of that approach is supposed to be.

You seem to want the Dodgers to go first-class in everything, but for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to apply to Billy Gasparino, whose draft record has been spotty, if not mediocre, with regards to his first-round selections. He only started going after legit "swing and miss" prospects at what seemed like the behest of Kasten and the rest of the Dodgers front office.

I've given him his due credit for his late-round picks, but it's no secret that I haven't been a fan of his first-round selections overall including his days at San Diego. Both Gavin Lux and Kyle Funkhouser were disappointing first-round picks under his watch and I noted how questionable they were at the time of those respective selections. I've already noted some other issues with his other early-round draft selections, which I'm not going to repeat.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Funkhouser More Miss Than Even Swing 

Post#496 » by Neddy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Given Cole’s struggles, I do think a Buehler who reaches his potential will be better than him. Given his injury history as well, I’d bank on the younger guy and deal with his mechanic issues vs. spending an asset to acquire another pitcher who stays injured.

Archer is much more arguable to me and they share a similar profile. Archer’s performance via raw stats the last 2 years leaves a lot to be desired but the peripherals are still there. You still have to ask what is up with the departure from the previously very good raw numbers.

I’m obviously not big on Cole but I am more so in on Archer. I’ve discussed acquiring him thus winter but I’ve always had Buehler off limits for the winter.

I’m also big on deGrom given his stuff and the fact that he has shown he isn’t scared of October. The Mets ownership has taken a beating this winter from the media and fans. They have tried to deal Harvey. Wheeler is seemingly broken. They are in no position to win. I think deGrom could/should be had unless their front office is going to be stubborn.

The question of Buehler comes from a perspective of being interested in the developmental aspects of our team and what’s good value. He’s untouchable to me unless some great players are coming back (Trout etc etc.) I’m obviously throwing Peyton “under the bus” in a completely different context and for different reasons.

I never liked Funkhouser but he is in lockstep with a Buehler and Kendall - a top 10 guy who fell out of that slot for various reasons. At the time, he was a high upside pick that we thought we could develop at decent slot money. On draft night people thought he might not be signable...nobody said, “hey look. Watch this guy tailspin into a 4th round pick.”

He is a textbook swing and miss type pick...in lock step with other swing and miss 1st round picks. You just don’t like him.

Do I fault you for not liking him? No. But to act like they aren’t taking swing and miss chances in the draft? Meh. You’re gonna have to continue to reach back to SD to hold onto the skepticism. He’s been fine here.

I've made a point to not frequent this forum for a while, so I haven't read any post since but I've been meaning to reply to this post for quite some time.

First, with regards to Buehler. While I wasn't as high on him as you have been, I liked him just fine. I even anticipated him eventually reaching top overall prospect in the Dodgers' system at some point. My main concern has always been his health and mechanics, but that doesn't mean that I never valued him as a prospect. Other than that, I've loved his stuff since his spike in sustained velocity. I've even advocated for him to be our 5th starter for this season. Hopefully, he and Urias will put their injury concerns behind them and start to show their wares starting mid-season. Proposing to trade him for frontline starters is not disrespecting him.

With regards to Funkhouser and the "swing and miss" philosophy I've espoused, you misinterpret what that means. As I've mentioned in one of my posts on the Clippers forum, there has to be a realistic possibility of hitting on a high-upside ceiling in a prospect, which means frontline starting pitcher or star position player. Funkhouser never fit that description when we drafted him as he was more likely to miss and even if he were to hit, his upside even now is as maybe a mid-rotation starter, however, it's more likely that he'll be a reliever if he makes it to the Major Leagues. He's still not a top 100 prospect and I doubt he'll get there any time soon.

Yes, Funkhouser was once under brief consideration to be a top overall draft pick in preseason college rankings, but it's just lazy evaluation to just stop there and call him a "swing and miss" guy while using a first-round selection on him. My distaste for Funkhouser had to do with his decreased stuff and lack of control just prior to the Dodgers drafting him. He had trouble commanding pitches and, if I recall correctly, there were concerns with his arm at the time given his drop in stuff. On top of that, his best pitch was a straight fastball lacking in movement even at its best despite the high velocity.

He was tailspinning his way out of the first round in the 2015 draft until Gasparino stopped that slide for whatever reason. Furthermore, he fell into the 4th round in the following draft for good reason as most evaluators didn't think as highly of him as Boras and he himself did by riding the coattails of that once lofty reputation that faded quickly. He is just now apparently healthy enough to start pitching regularly. Buying low with more anticipated decline without a high payoff is only "swing and miss" in the literal sense rather than what the true aim of that approach is supposed to be.

You seem to want the Dodgers to go first-class in everything, but for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to apply to Billy Gasparino, whose draft record has been spotty, if not mediocre, with regards to his first-round selections. He only started going after legit "swing and miss" prospects at what seemed like the behest of Kasten and the rest of the Dodgers front office.

I've given him his due credit for his late-round picks, but it's no secret that I haven't been a fan of his first-round selections overall including his days at San Diego. Both Gavin Lux and Kyle Funkhouser were disappointing first-round picks under his watch and I noted how questionable they were at the time of those respective selections. I've already noted some other issues with his other early-round draft selections, which I'm not going to repeat.

yeah highly doubt the Mets throw in the towel and trade deGrom. but if they are willing to sell, what price are we willing to pay? if the deal is for say, one of our top catching prospects among Farmer/Will/Keibert and one of our top low level or two mid tier pitchers like Dennis Santana, hell yeah but if the price includes one of major league position players under the age of 25 or top prospects such as Urias, even with his arm still in question, would be hard to accept, but for deGrom, it can be debatable.

for Archer tho, love his tangibles and intangibles but you know he will be 30 before this season is over. which means if we trade for him by the deadline, he will be a little more than a few weeks until he hits 30 after the trade. we talk about trading for pitchers that are one the right side of 30 as opposed to the wrong side of 30. Archer being a more of a power pitcher, he may last, but who knows.

Cole is 'meh' for me at this point. I'll take him as a reasonably priced free agent in the future but hard to trade away good assets for that guy now.

and I also agree with Ranma about his assessment of our draft team. Funkhauser can be said that we already knew he won't sign and it was a hailmary with backup prospect of compensatory picks in the future, but come on, didn't like Funky pick but Lux? Gavin I thought at the time had no chance. I still don't know if he has a ceiling high enough to reach the majors. we will have to see, it's not like our old Logan White was hitting the nail in the head every time. it's not like Scott Elbert or Blake deWitt worked out. Chris Reed anyone? James Adkins and Ethan Martins of the worlds are littered everywhere. in fact, it seems to me the first round picks in baseball, can be as streaky as the game of baseball itself. just like being a great hitter still leaves you with 70-60% failure rate to make hits or reach the base, same can be said about the process of picking the players too.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#497 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Two things:

1. My position is wait and see on these picks. I’m not married to Gasparino AT ALL. I’ve seen how he looks once or twice. I’d probably miss him walking past me on the street.

2. I thought Funkhouser was more similar to Buehler in that an injury zapped a lot of his A+ stuff, not that his stuff was just dwindling on its own.

My only real defense of Gasparino is that his 1st ever pick here is that type of swing for the fences pick. If Stan is upset with our 2016 haul and let Gasparino know about it, fine...But he didn’t START taking high upside picks with Jeren Kendall. There’s Buehler and there’s his late round swing for the fences picks....and then there’s Kendall.

I do want the Dodgers to do everything first class. The fans deserve nothing but the best and we deserve a back to back or 3-Peat to throw in Giants fans faces....a dynasty.

If there’s much better than Gasparino out there, let’s go for it but I’m more comfortable with the guy who took Buehler and Kendall than I am uncomfortable with the guy that bet on pedigree in Lux over PEDs in Perez.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#498 » by Neddy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Two things:

1. My position is wait and see on these picks. I’m not married to Gasparino AT ALL. I’ve seen how he looks once or twice. I’d probably miss him walking past me on the street.

2. I thought Funkhouser was more similar to Buehler in that an injury zapped a lot of his A+ stuff, not that his stuff was just dwindling on its own.

My only real defense of Gasparino is that his 1st ever pick here is that type of swing for the fences pick. If Stan is upset with our 2016 haul and let Gasparino know about it, fine...But he didn’t START taking high upside picks with Jeren Kendall. There’s Buehler and there’s his late round swing for the fences picks.

I do want the Dodgers to do everything first class. The fans deserve nothing but the best and we deserve a back to back or 3-Peat to throw in Giants fans faces....a dynasty.

If there’s much better than Gasparino out there, let’s go for it but I’m more comfortable with the guy who took Buehler and Kendall than I am uncomfortable with the guy that bet on pedigree in Lux over PEDs in Perez.

not picking an argument about it, but rather commenting in agreement that picking high upside first round picks are not as easy as it sounds, especially in baseball there are so many variables for a young player to develop right. Gasparino was a hire at the time was the best available, but that does not mean obviously he is elite at his profession at all. at the same time, Gavin Lux was not exactly a who's who among the prospects either. Im fairly sure he had no idea he was going in the first round at all.

and at the time of reading up on scouting reports, I did too think Funkhauser was as good of a bet as Buehler. they both were injured, really. didn't think one was going to be significantly better than the other at the time, and he may still be able to make corrections and make it to the bigs and stay there. and like I said, there probably was a method used similar to how hedge fund managers spreading bets around, to have Funkhauser be compensatory pick if he didn't sign. so we got a compensatory pick that ended up being much higher than the actual round he ended up going in the same draft, not a bad deal, if you think about it in reverse hypothesis means.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#499 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Neddy wrote:
Ranma wrote:

yeah highly doubt the Mets throw in the towel and trade deGrom. but if they are willing to sell, what price are we willing to pay? if the deal is for say, one of our top catching prospects among Farmer/Will/Keibert and one of our top low level or two mid tier pitchers like Dennis Santana, hell yeah but if the price includes one of major league position players under the age of 25 or top prospects such as Urias, even with his arm still in question, would be hard to accept, but for deGrom, it can be debatable.

for Archer tho, love his tangibles and intangibles but you know he will be 30 before this season is over. which means if we trade for him by the deadline, he will be a little more than a few weeks until he hits 30 after the trade. we talk about trading for pitchers that are one the right side of 30 as opposed to the wrong side of 30. Archer being a more of a power pitcher, he may last, but who knows.

Cole is 'meh' for me at this point. I'll take him as a reasonably priced free agent in the future but hard to trade away good assets for that guy now.

and I also agree with Ranma about his assessment of our draft team. Funkhauser can be said that we already knew he won't sign and it was a hailmary with backup prospect of compensatory picks in the future, but come on, didn't like Funky pick but Lux? Gavin I thought at the time had no chance. I still don't know if he has a ceiling high enough to reach the majors. we will have to see, it's not like our old Logan White was hitting the nail in the head every time. it's not like Scott Elbert or Blake deWitt worked out. Chris Reed anyone? James Adkins and Ethan Martins of the worlds are littered everywhere. in fact, it seems to me the first round picks in baseball, can be as streaky as the game of baseball itself. just like being a great hitter still leaves you with 70-60% failure rate to make hits or reach the base, same can be said about the process of picking the players too.

Well, the Mets SHOULD be looking to deal deGrom. If they want to be stubborn, that’s on them. Time and losses will tell the truth and force their hand.

Archer has team options for 2020 and 2021 that are $9 mill and $11 mill. If we take a shot at him and he doesn’t work, at least he doesn’t break us. I can also live with attempting to bring in a talent like him. This is the opposite if Rich Hill where if you look big picture at our investment in him (prospects and his new contract), you’re left wondering if we could have done something else.
_________

The Lux pick doesn’t bother me as much. The other SS had a PED issue. I don’t fault our guys for staying away given Lux has a solid pedigree.

IMO, part of the reason he is viewed so poorly IMO is because he had a boy’s body at the time of the draft. We don’t know how his quickness, bat speed etc etc. will develop as his body matures. My plea to both of you has been to just wait and see how the kid turns out. Give him a fair shake. Stop calling him trade bait. Stop comparing him to Perez.

So far? He’s shut up every critic that “didnt know” if he could handle SS at least athletically**

Better with the bat than most expected (albeit, not great) as well.

There’s nothing wrong with a 20 year old working his way up to the majors.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#500 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Sorry. I missed your post above, Neddy.

The notifications dont pop up on my phone like they do on computer.

Agree on Funk.

I thought Lux was projected late 1st or 2nd in most mocks, so he was overdrafted but not by much.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers