Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2019 Los Angeles Dodgers Regular Season Thread 

Post#41 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:30 am

Ryu with the 7 IP 0 ER start.

I know Neddy is happy.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#42 » by Neddy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Ryu with the 7 IP 0 ER start.

I know Neddy is happy.

was just coming on to talk about that, lol.

aside from being my wife's very distant relative, I love Ryu's mental make up, always have. not only that he's had two years since his shoulder surgery and well rested, now he's got another toy in his arsenal to play with. last game had exactly 2 Ks on his fastballs, 2 Ks on his curves, 2 Ks on his changeup, then 2 Ks with his... cutter. and he did it against the Nats. Ryu is showing when his command is on, he can be an elite type of a pitcher a team headed to WS needs, behind all-world Kershaw.

on the other hand tho, his BABIP is ungodly, and so far is hitting career numbers in terms of K/9, HR/FB, GB%, and of course, ERA. but he has done 0.47HR/9 for a full season before in 2014. he's had even lower FIP for a full season that year too. with his suddenly improved cutter with sharper changeup to compliment his below league average fastball velocity, it seems he is able to generate more groundballs, as well as missing some bats along the way.

interestingly, he has now entirely abandoned slider, and whether it is because of its perceived toll on pitcher's arms or simply by having a better option, since his cutter got smashed for the first HR given up by Ryu, his cutters has been a go-to pitch more often than not. his changeup is still his best pitch, but his usage of change up has gone down to his career low which I like. change up is a pitch that loses its value if not for the element of surprise. lesser you use it, more surprising it gets... but #1 reason for more groundball and very low HR/9 ratio, is he has cut down his fastballs by a half. his rookie year, the fastball was about 55% of his pitches, a bread and butter pitch, if you will. but now in 2018, he is throwing around 35-39% range. he did not increase his curve by much, but he is throwing more curves than his career too. the answer #1-B is, that with the disappearance of his slider, it is his cutter that has now taken up the missing chunk of his repertoire. so he is a fastball > cutter > curve=changeup with just 7 sliders thrown for the whole 2018 regular season.

if you think about that each of those pitches are intended to do, cutter, curve, changeup, they are all designed to miss the sweet spot of the bat, hopefully inducing more weaker grounder. Ryu's evolution as a pitcher after a major, career threatening surgery, was all because of usage of his organ that is supported by his cranium, and that was one thing ChanHo Park could not do, once his arm was shot after signing with Texas. so kudos to young Ryu. my hat's off to him.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#43 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:23 am

Kenley in here stinking it up again.

He better bring this home.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#44 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:28 am

Back up to .500

Kenley shut it down after 2 singles.
Back in business.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#45 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 am

GO WALKER!!!!!111
Neddy
RealGM

Post#46 » by Neddy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:01 am

Man, Walker needs a changeup badly. his slider is essentially his changeup, and it doesn't break very well... at least not today. he is basically a fastball/curve pitcher at this point, sorta like young Kershaw without Clayton's ceiling.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#47 » by Neddy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:09 am

**** is looking like a GG SS out there.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#48 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:14 am

Love ****’s growth and maturation.

He seems locked in...in a way I’ve never seen before. Proud of that guy.

Long way from being the banana boy who didn’t contribute much.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#49 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:27 pm

Why is Baez a Dodger still?

Naked pictures of Friedman and Zaidi.

There’s almost nothing he can do at this point to justify this level of investment in his development.

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#50 » by TKainZero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:56 am

Team is starting to look better. Rounding into shape
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#51 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:59 pm

The number of times JoeDavis says “Kershaw just doesn’t have it tonight” is becoming more frequent.

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#52 » by Dloading99 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:42 am

Ramna All yall

Can I please get some props for Matt Kemp. yall should be propin Matt Kemp.

Where yall at now. Hi Haters. I thought he wasn't going to make the spring training squad. I thought he wasn't even going to make the team.

Like I said the dude was committed. once he got here with Dave Roberts and These guys he would be a different guy in this locker room. and he's in shape. he's hitting Home Runs and he's got a great batting average. and he's our best player this season. and the fans like this guy. he's Matt Kemp our player.

Like I said with Bellinger it helps him. look what we are paying him. he looks like a different guy from the guy on the Braves.

if you are playing fantasy and I am I drafted him. you should pick him up for your team. that will win you a fantasy baseball championship.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#53 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:24 am

Unbelievable that Pedro Baez has made it on a Dodger roster this many years.

People can stay as mad at me all they want about my opinions on this team. They're just opinions. I've never threatened a soul in here. Never called anyone a name. I'm standing by everything I've said.

I don't think this team will ever get over the hump until Friedman and Zaidi purge the locker room of all the **** losers that are in it. They can add every savvy vet leader to help lead the way for the youth that they want. It will not undue the stinch and odor of the chokes and stupid goof offs that are on this team.

Pedro Baez is one of those losers who I begged to be traded at the end of 2016.

This team look like a team that lost Game 7 of a WS and is on a mission to get back and right the wrong?

It's baseball. I'll "be patient" but...lol if we don't purge the losers out of the locker room.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#54 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Let Walker pitch.

Weak contact is making this inning difficult.
If he gets hit hard, then pull him. Let our young guy grow up.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#55 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Cody Bellinger benched for not hustling.

#ChaseUtleyEffect
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#56 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Ever suggest someone should get TJS as soon as the season was over only for them to say no but end up needing it the next season and missing the whole year?

Not annoying at all.
Promise.

[green]This team is just as loveable as it was the day we won the NLCS in Chicago. Honest [/green]

Neddy
RealGM

Post#57 » by Neddy » Tue May 1, 2018 12:02 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Ever suggest someone should get TJS as soon as the season was over only for them to say no but end up needing it the next season and missing the whole year?

Not annoying at all.
Promise.

[green]This team is just as loveable as it was the day we won the NLCS in Chicago. Honest [/green]

everyone saw this coming. well, at least those who paid attention of him missing playoff games due to elbow issues and understand that a throwing pain in the elbow pretty much guarantees it's gonna be a TJS. there isn't much structure to go wrong there.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#58 » by Quake Griffin » Tue May 1, 2018 11:14 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Ever suggest someone should get TJS as soon as the season was over only for them to say no but end up needing it the next season and missing the whole year?

Not annoying at all.
Promise.

everyone saw this coming. well, at least those who paid attention of him missing playoff games due to elbow issues and understand that a throwing pain in the elbow pretty much guarantees it's gonna be a TJS. there isn't much structure to go wrong there.

Seeing it coming doesn't mean it is without consequence...a worse consequence that could have been avoided.
Carl Crawford had TJS in August of 2012 and was back by Opening Day in April 2013 for the Dodgers.

Everybody knew Corey should probably have TJS if he was going to have an injury keep him out of the NLCS. He'd probably have gotten back at midseason but ANYBODY would have taken that because we'd rather have him for a 2018 playoff run instead of the 1st month of a terrible season and then losing him for the rest of it.

I dunno whether to blame the organization or Corey's insistence on continuing to overwork himself and stay available even if it hurts him. Either way, this is beyond annoying and we are a worse team because of it.

The strength of this team is that we have solid 3 fWAR or more players nearly everywhere around the diamond. We're losing one. Sure we covered for him in the NLCS but we will feel his loss over 125-130 games.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#59 » by Neddy » Thu May 3, 2018 2:32 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

Not annoying at all.
Promise.

Seeing it coming doesn't mean it is without consequence...a worse consequence that could have been avoided.
Carl Crawford had TJS in August of 2012 and was back by Opening Day in April 2013 for the Dodgers.

Everybody knew Corey should probably have TJS if he was going to have an injury keep him out of the NLCS. He'd probably have gotten back at midseason but ANYBODY would have taken that because we'd rather have him for a 2018 playoff run instead of the 1st month of a terrible season and then losing him for the rest of it.

I dunno whether to blame the organization or Corey's insistence on continuing to overwork himself and stay available even if it hurts him. Either way, this is beyond annoying and we are a worse team because of it.

The strength of this team is that we have solid 3 fWAR or more players nearly everywhere around the diamond. We're losing one. Sure we covered for him in the NLCS but we will feel his loss over 125-130 games.

this is simply a hangover from last year's WS effect. had we not made playoffs or mathematically eliminated by August, Corey would have gotten TJS, and should have been ready for next season. instead, we tried our luck and lost in game 7, leading to this mess where we are picking up the pieces after last game loser imbibe fest.

Ryu getting hurt, seems like icing on the cake.......
ehhhhh f it.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#60 » by Dloading99 » Sat May 5, 2018 12:50 am

Well we aren't getting Manny Machado. we would not make a trade like that.

I just think the team has a World Series Hangover no one will admit it. but they still aren't over Game 5 Kershaw isn't over Game 5. Kenley isn't over Game 2. and the guys just aren't in it.

Hopefully they can pull out of it. and when Justin Turner comes back that should be great. but we gotta do something.

I was screaming for Gerrit Cole. we could've used him. a young pitcher ACE type that we could have under control.

We are going to need to get one of those guys.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers