2018-19 J2 International Signings Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

2018-19 J2 International Signings Thread 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Hard-Throwing Cuban Prospects Available on the Market 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 am

Osiel Rodriguez popped up on the radar in late November in last year's thread as a hard-throwing 15-year-old RHP prospect. He's currently 9th overall and the 3rd-ranked pitcher on MLB Pipeline's 2018 international prospects rankings. Unlike most of the international prospects currently ranked among the top 30, no team is listed as the favorite to sign him as of now but it looks like he's possibly wearing Texas Rangers gear in the workout video linked in his profile below.

A couple of other Cuban pitching prospects currently not favored to sign with MLB teams are Sandy Gaston and Denny Larrondo. Gaston's fastball is maybe a tick or two behind Starlyn Castillo's, the 2nd-ranked international pitching prospect out of the Dominican Republic whom many scouts consider to have the best arm in this class and currently favored to sign with the Phillies. Larrondo is an elite athlete with plus speed and a former shortstop who is projected to stay on the mound despite being a 2-way player for Cuba. The Yankees are listed among the teams who have shown interest, but that doesn't exclude other MLB teams. Of course, sniping of teams is always in play until prospects actually sign on the dotted line and, even then, that has proven inconclusive in the past.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2018-19 J2 International Signings Thread 

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 pm

REGULAR SEASON THREAD!!!!111
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:22 pm

And I will look over these guys. Nice to see we're adding the top player in the class and a catcher at that.

Love the organizations' emphasis on the catcher position and making sure we continue to draft and develop them.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Jesse Sanchez's Primer for July 2nd International Signings 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 am

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#6 » by Neddy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Ranma, you need to be on a payroll for some team's scouting department. I can help you evaluate players, lol
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Current J2 Signing Period Open for Business 

Post#7 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 2, 2018 5:11 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Officially Sign Cartaya 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 2, 2018 3:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Day 1 Update and Articles 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 3, 2018 6:03 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Not to Be Neglected: Jerming Rosario 

Post#10 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 3, 2018 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Post#11 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 pm

how many high level catching prospects do we have in the minors? Keibert Ruiz, WIll Smith, Conner Wong, Kyle Farmer, and now this kid? man guess we won't be showering Grandal with a new contract after this season. I think once Grandal is gone, Austin and Kyle will keep the seat warm for Ruiz come 2020.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#12 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Neddy wrote:how many high level catching prospects do we have in the minors? Keibert Ruiz, WIll Smith, Conner Wong, Kyle Farmer, and now this kid? man guess we won't be showering Grandal with a new contract after this season. I think once Grandal is gone, Austin and Kyle will keep the seat warm for Ruiz come 2020.

Again...

We either lose him for nothing or offer him the QO.

The QO is gonna be more for 2019 than Grandal will get in AAV on the market.
He has EVERY incentive to take the QO for his age 30 season and then sign a deal to close out his career elsewhere.

He is the catcher I like best for this team but if we were about moving on from him and **** on him in the playoffs while his wife was pregnant, we should have traded him this offseason.

I don't see him turning into a 2nd round pick.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#13 » by Neddy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:26 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:how many high level catching prospects do we have in the minors? Keibert Ruiz, WIll Smith, Conner Wong, Kyle Farmer, and now this kid? man guess we won't be showering Grandal with a new contract after this season. I think once Grandal is gone, Austin and Kyle will keep the seat warm for Ruiz come 2020.

Again...

He has EVERY incentive to take the QO for his age 30 season and then sign a deal to close out his career elsewhere.

He is the catcher I like best for this team but if we were about moving on from him and **** on him in the playoffs while his wife was pregnant, we should have traded him this offseason.

ok, but what if, just say Kershaw opts out, and our FO decides to sign Machado to a mega deal, and say, we do still want to be reasonable with our lux tax, it is completely plausible to see our FO wanting to avoid offering a QO, and would rather roll with a pair of guys not named Grandal.

not that I am hating on Yaz. I love the player and the dude as well. but being real man. if the choice at this point with our pitching staff built to what it is now which is pretty stacked with youth, if the choice is machado in his 6-7 prime years vs Kershaw's aging 5-6 years plus 1 more year of Grandal, well.

this is of course a moot point if the dodgers sign everyone, or as you pointed out before, if Clayton does not opt out at all.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#14 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

Again...

ok, but what if, just say Kershaw opts out, and our FO decides to sign Machado to a mega deal, and say, we do still want to be reasonable with our lux tax, it is completely plausible to see our FO wanting to avoid offering a QO, and would rather roll with a pair of guys not named Grandal.

not that I am hating on Yaz. I love the player and the dude as well. but being real man. if the choice at this point with our pitching staff built to what it is now which is pretty stacked with youth, if the choice is machado in his 6-7 prime years vs Kershaw's aging 5-6 years plus 1 more year of Grandal, well.

this is of course a moot point if the dodgers sign everyone, or as you pointed out before, if Clayton does not opt out at all.

Hopefully Kershaw opts out and signs with Texas. A team will give us a pick for him if he ends up opting out.

I'd rather give Yas the QO. I think he's the best catcher we have and I'd rather have him be the bridge to Keibert/ Will Smith OR lose him for a 2nd rounder than just lose him for nothing.

So hopefully the idea is Manny re-signs and Yaz is offered the QO.

Then we can officially start building the team around the 1990s babies: Taylor (hopefully an extension that eats up his early 30s), Seager, Bellinger (jury is still out on him as a hitter but versatile defense + power), Buehler, Strip, Manny, and the last of Jansen (an 80s baby)...and we can stop worrying about basing our postseason runs around 22 and whether he should pitch on 3 days rest and whether Roberts screwed up by not starting him in a Game 7 etc. etc.

The mid 90s babies are carrying us to our 1st WS since 1988.
This is their team.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#15 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:15 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Again...

Hopefully Kershaw opts out and signs with Texas. A team will give us a pick for him if he ends up opting out.

I'd rather give Yas the QO. I think he's the best catcher we have and I'd rather have him be the bridge to Keibert/ Will Smith OR lose him for a 2nd rounder than just lose him for nothing.

So hopefully the idea is Manny re-signs and Yaz is offered the QO.

Then we can officially start building the team around the 1990s babies: Taylor (hopefully an extension that eats up his early 30s), Seager, Bellinger (jury is still out on him as a hitter but versatile defense + power), Buehler, Strip, Manny, and the last of Jansen (an 80s baby)...and we can stop worrying about basing our postseason runs around 22 and whether he should pitch on 3 days rest and whether Roberts screwed up by not starting him in a Game 7 etc. etc.

The mid 90s babies are carrying us to our 1st WS since 1988.
This is their team.

if we are gonna keep Machado and Seager, and we are running with the 90s babies, then do you agree the next one to be traded should be Turner?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#16 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:30 am

No hard and fast rules. So I could see trading him given his age.

But if you're asking if I have some objection to him being on the team while the young guys take over? The answer is no. He's been a solid contributor, shows up in the playoffs, and his performance (up or down) isn't a huge story/ burden on the team/ fan base.

He can stay as long as he wants imo....until he retires preferably if the right team doesn't offer us something for him.
One of my favorite Dodgers.
Ranma
RealGM

Another Japanese Import Possibility 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Sign 18-Year-Old RHP Hyun-il Choi 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:23 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Mesa Brothers Declared International Free Agents 

Post#19 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

MLB Pipeline Podcast on Victor Victor Mesa 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers