ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: 2018-2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#21 » by Neddy » Tue Nov 6, 2018 6:19 am

wco81 wrote:LA certainly has a big Korean American community, maybe the biggest in the country.

But if his agent is Boras, I would think they’re going to pursue every cent he could get. This may be his only chance to sign a big deal.

ahhh... you might wanna read my earlier post about this topic, all the way through first.... then you might wanna change a few words from your reply, perhaps?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#22 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:43 am

Wow.

Farhan has ditched us to join the SF Giants as their president of bball ops.

Great.
A Giants FO member that knows where all our dirt isz

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#23 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:44 am

Who will Andrew Friedman hire to take Farhan’s spot?

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#24 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 7, 2018 3:22 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Who will Andrew Friedman hire to take Farhan’s spot?

the question is 'who should', and not 'who will'.

if Farhan is gone, good for him and his promotion. is he the president of baseball operation? or did he just get a ton a raise on a lateral move?

the person that should have been hired a decade ago to run the GM job for the dodgers, is none other than our old pal Kim Ng.

who will get it, is a whole different story.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#25 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 7, 2018 1:15 pm

Title is President of Baseball Ops but I don't think Sabean is out in SF, so it may be a lateral move in that he still might be answering to Sabean. I hate having a Smart Giants FO head who is analytically savvy that knows where our dirt is. It's different from us getting a dope like Ned Colletti who was not as skilled as Sabean was at evaluating players.

Would Kim Ng sign up to be Friedman's second in command?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#26 » by Kilroy » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:48 am

Damn... Are we going to have any coaches left?

Should I be getting queasy at the thought of Dave running the team without all those solid coaches backing him up? I think, 'Yes.'
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM

Post#27 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:24 am

Chris Woodward becoming the new manager for the Rangers is something we should celebrate, as it is a promotion for doing a good job.

Farhan moving to SF, even if it is a lateral move, good for him if he is getting a ton of raise. he is a phD in Econ, afterall.

it is Turner Ward moving to Cinci, that makes me to think that some of the coaching staff is not happy with Dave. Turner didn't even wait to see if Dave got his extension, which the FO was already showing the green lights long before Turner made the jump. I don't buy the propaganda press release that said Turner wished to be much closer to his ailing wife in his home state of Alabama. yeah, really, lol from Cinci to Mobile, Alabama is a 4 HR flight, versus from LA being 5 to 6 HR flight. what a load of crap. if he wanted to be closer to his sick wife, he would have just gone home and not work until she is better until much closer local jobs pop up. like the Braves organization, which is just 1 hr on a direct flight.

looks like Grandal is as good as gone, and Ryu might actually take the QO. the newest Japanese import Kikuchi being represented also by Scott Boras is going to make the market shrink for Ryu, especially considering how many quality lefty starters are available this year. I don't buy the rumor circulating that Ryu is potential big signing for the A's. if I know Billy Beane, he ain't signing a potential injury risk pitcher at age 31 to a big contract while giving away his first round pick. the best I can see is 3 years for 33 mil with a team option for the 4th, but he will bet on himself, and he can always go back to Korea to play if he doesn't like what's becoming of his market after the QO deal is over. he loves LA, lives in that high rise right behind the Nokia center in his own Condo. not rented, investment real estate fully paid off. Ryu don't wanna leave LA until the Dodgers tell him otherwise.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#28 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:22 am

Guys like our interest in DJ LeMahieu?

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#29 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:52 am

So at one point I said we should go after Harper... The latest Boras nonsense has cooled me...
300/10 seems silly to me... But I'm sure there's 300M ways I'm being naive...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#30 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Nov 9, 2018 5:13 am

Kilroy wrote:So at one point I said we should go after Harper... The latest Boras nonsense has cooled me...
300/10 seems silly to me... But I'm sure there's 300M ways I'm being naive...

He's 26.
There's definitely going to be an opt out clause for him to go after his retirement deal at age 29 or 30.

3 years of Bryce at $30 million before he opts out w/ the risk that if he is seriously hurt, he opts in.
Why not?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#31 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 5:30 am

Giants are supposedly considering bidding for Harper too. But the fear is, he wants nothing to do with AT&T, which would suppress his slugging numbers.

He’s put up big numbers but not in the clutch or else Nationals would have fared better in the playoffs than they have.

Yet he’s entering his prime too and how often does a potential MVP hit the market right before his prime?

Supposedly the Yankees are not that interested in him. I don’t think their problem is hitting anyways.

It will be interesting which team signs him and for how much.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#32 » by Neddy » Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:59 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Guys like our interest in DJ LeMahieu?

depends on the price tag. he is a good defensive 2B, as his GG shows. he is not a very good hitter outside of the confines of the mile high stadium. I would not invest anything paying 5 times of ****'s salary to DJ Le, if that's what it comes down to. we can always do better with 7th and 8th inning lock down setup men we never had in our current runs like the WS winning KC Royals had.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#33 » by Kilroy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:30 am

Do you think if we dumped Dave, we'd still constantly be trying to get rid of Puig?

Puig for Harper? If you value him that much, why trade him?
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#34 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Neddy wrote:

depends on the price tag. he is a good defensive 2B, as his GG shows. he is not a very good hitter outside of the confines of the mile high stadium. I would not invest anything paying 5 times of ****'s salary to DJ Le, if that's what it comes down to. we can always do better with 7th and 8th inning lock down setup men we never had in our current runs like the WS winning KC Royals had.

Gonna cost money and anybody worth it is going to come with the "but he wants the closer role" caveat to their negotiations.
I dunno if it's ever gonna get better than that 2017 bullpen where Morrow was absolutely nails that Dave misused in the WS.

We have ONE shot imo.
Andrew Miller. He seems comfortable in his role as bullpen ace that will come in at any point of the game. Doesn't raise a stink about finishing games. Cleveland did not extend him the QO. We need to get this guy. A guy this good also will shift Dave's mindset on Kenley. He will finally have a bullpen piece he trusts as much as Kenley and he won't manage like a coward for a 6 out save.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#35 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Kilroy wrote:Do you think if we dumped Dave, we'd still constantly be trying to get rid of Puig?

Puig for Harper? If you value him that much, why trade him?

yeah we were lowballing, as Nats were about to lose him for little to nothing. Harper was having a bad year, and Puig, stat-wise, looked no worse.

but yeah, I believe even if Dave is gone, Puig gets no love from the FO. I would believe the dodgers would consider dealing both Puig and Kemp away this off season to lower the payroll, as we have a crowded OF as is. I have no clue as of where we will get the production of right handed bats in the outfield if those two are gone, as Alex Verdugo and Andrew Toles will join fellow lefty bats men in Joc/Belly to form 4 men lefty OF to join ****/Taylor combo that surely when both are playing, 1 will be in IF.......

remember, Harper is a lefty bat as well.

I hear the Cubs are selling Kris Bryant after his shoulder injury derailed his season. they must know something the rest of us don't. I say tread that water with caution and only if the price tag is as low as I believe it should be. potential power right handed player who can play LF, even if his career is never gonna be the same, at price of a mid level prospect, why not. but with his salary already at 10 mil and going up, he couldn't cost too much after his down season.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#36 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Neddy wrote:

Double quote.

You don't think this is just a down year with his bat?
His old splits look like better at Coors but still good on the road.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#37 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Ryu takes the QO

Woo Hoo....Yas will not.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#38 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:44 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

Double quote.

You don't think this is just a down year with his bat?
His old splits look like better at Coors but still good on the road.

if you look away from simple BA, DJ LeM only truly had 1 great season. in his BA title season a few years ago was the only time he had better than 2 WAR value in any season of his career. for the same price, I would rather take Brian Dozier and his bone bruise excuse. the man's stats from 2013 through 2017 shows much superior player who's worst WAR in that span is still a full 1 point above DJ's second best season. DJ's best, btw, would not even make top 3 for Dozier.

not that I am trying to sell Dozier all that hard, all I am saying is that if we are to give a chance to a guy who had, IMO 1 fluke season and have never before or after, come close to it, then we should might as well provide the same chance to a guy who actually was a super star in his own right, in 5 consecutive seasons he posted 2.9 / 4.5 / 3.1 / 6.2 / 5.0 WARs. in the same span, LeMahieu posted 0.3 / 0.3 / 1.9 / 4.4 / 1.9 ...
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#39 » by Kilroy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:27 pm

When was the last time the Dodgers acquired a big name free agent (or trade for that matter), who then went on to play as well or better than they played before playing for the Dodgers? Pitcher or Fielder...
Although, I'm most interested in offensive production.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#40 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:39 am

Kilroy wrote:When was the last time the Dodgers acquired a big name free agent (or trade for that matter), who then went on to play as well or better than they played before playing for the Dodgers? Pitcher or Fielder...
Although, I'm most interested in offensive production.

for the bat, JD Drew.

his last 2 years before getting traded to Atl was not as good as his short stay in Atl, but JD definitely hit better as a dodger for the next 2 seasons clearly than his StL Cardinals' last 2 seasons.

for the glove, 2009 version of Rafael Furcal ( although debatable depends on which metric you use ) was better than himself at any point of his career defensively. that happened while he was a dodger, and not a Brave.

for the arm, Zack Greinke. his best 3 year span of dominance came as a dodger. despite his Cy Young year with the Royals, he had some up and down years before, and after that Cy Young season.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers