Moderator: ijspeelman

toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,982

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1821 » by toooskies » Wed May 22, 2024 4:45 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Probably not but one thing i read that made sense to me was maybe Klutch wanted to guarantee Mitchell didn't extend, by leaking that.

Yeah, the only angle I see would be to make sure that Donovan knows that Darius isn't happy and if he was planning to extend because he likes playing with Darius, then those thoughts would be scuttled. He gets traded and the team either becomes Darius's or the Cavs get frustrated with the whole thing and trade 'em both. :roll:

otoh, the Cavs are likely dangling handing the franchise and a max contract with whatever terms he wants over to Don, and that may trump any and all other thoughts he may have.

And then if he really wants to continue playing with DG, his first test of leadership would be work out whatever issues Darius is having with him or the team.

Unlike the Allen situation, this is salvageable so long as both Mitchell and Darius are open to salvaging it. Whether the Cavs should try to salvage it without both Allen and Mobley playing behind that back court is an open question and probably somewhat dependent on the return they get for Allen and Garland's market.

Is there anything to the Allen situation other than he wouldn't get a somewhat dangerous procedure and "someone" is "frustrated" by that? I don't think that's unsalvageable, at least from what we've been presented. For all we know the "someone" won't be with the organization next fall.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,736

Post#1822 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 22, 2024 5:00 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Yeah, the only angle I see would be to make sure that Donovan knows that Darius isn't happy and if he was planning to extend because he likes playing with Darius, then those thoughts would be scuttled. He gets traded and the team either becomes Darius's or the Cavs get frustrated with the whole thing and trade 'em both. :roll:

otoh, the Cavs are likely dangling handing the franchise and a max contract with whatever terms he wants over to Don, and that may trump any and all other thoughts he may have.

And then if he really wants to continue playing with DG, his first test of leadership would be work out whatever issues Darius is having with him or the team.

Unlike the Allen situation, this is salvageable so long as both Mitchell and Darius are open to salvaging it. Whether the Cavs should try to salvage it without both Allen and Mobley playing behind that back court is an open question and probably somewhat dependent on the return they get for Allen and Garland's market.

Is there anything to the Allen situation other than he wouldn't get a somewhat dangerous procedure and "someone" is "frustrated" by that? I don't think that's unsalvageable, at least from what we've been presented. For all we know the "someone" won't be with the organization next fall.

The first red flag was after game 3 in round 1, Allen apparently expressed he did not like jb's defensive gameplan, in the blowout. I made the comment at the time, i wonder if he was sitting out in defiance, half joking. We will never know.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,420

Post#1823 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:20 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I want to believe that, but Lloyd isn't a hack, it sounds like there are multiple sources, and from Allen's perspective, that isn't something that's necessarily easy to get past.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,616

Post#1824 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 22, 2024 7:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I want to believe that, but Lloyd isn't a hack, it sounds like there are multiple sources, and from Allen's perspective, that isn't something that's necessarily easy to get past.

It may depend which heads roll, or if anyone bothers to apologize for questioning his commitment.

I think there's a general problem where we make the least of situations and tend to make everyone look really bad. Last year, Allen was dealing with some health issues too but he played through it in the playoffs and all that bought him was a year of being ridiculed.

Darius was in a similar situation this year, and maybe he should have shut himself down too before that clunker in game 5 has even Jazz fans writing articles that their team shouldn't even consider trading Devonte George for him because he sucks so hard.

Mitchell, otoh, I guess has good timing because while it looked like he was on his way to being the butt of all jokes too after the two losses in Orlando, he played well enough on his bad knee to slow the roll on that before deciding enough was enough.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,982

Post#1825 » by toooskies » Wed May 22, 2024 10:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

This was a pretty hack-y piece though. No one except Rich Paul's associate was even vaguely specified as a source. It was mostly feelings about things rather than quotes. It was all framed to be the most antagonistic versions of every situation. It opened with a story about JBB being on thin ice six months ago... Without a follow-up of how the situation evolved since.

Just the "Evan Mobley didn't want to get drafted to Cleveland" drop-in was dropped in and dumb. It also doesn't match the smell test given he totally gave Houston the cold shoulder while he did all the workouts and interviews with Cleveland.

For me it was a lot of agenda-pushing rather than info that you can take at face value, and I'm still trying to tease out whose agendas are being most fulfilled besides authors tossing out clickbait.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1826 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 24, 2024 2:48 pm

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10122439-windhorst-donovan-mitchell-to-get-200m-cavs-contract-offer-after-bickerstaff-firing.amp.html

Interesting read. According to Windhorst, there's been no trade request from Garland himself (although it's fair to note he hasn't done anything to contradict the Klutch leak). It sounds like they're going to at least try to sell Mitchell and Garland on playing together under a new coach, and if that's Atkinson, I think it's worth trying.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1827 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 24, 2024 3:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10122439-windhorst-donovan-mitchell-to-get-200m-cavs-contract-offer-after-bickerstaff-firing.amp.html

Interesting read. According to Windhorst, there's been no trade request from Garland himself (although it's fair to note he hasn't done anything to contradict the Klutch leak). It sounds like they're going to at least try to sell Mitchell and Garland on playing together under a new coach, and if that's Atkinson, I think it's worth trying.

This is pretty simple ... they're going to listen to the pitches from the coaching candidates and pick whichever combination makes sense. The times we tried to force a square player in to a round coach should be done and gone. They'll then go and pitch that to Mitchell including any options they seem to feel are reasonable, and if he agrees, then on to the next step of making sure the other players are on-board and/or getting the trade machine rolling.

We will declare this is Donovan's team and everyone's on board with it ... and then LeBron will find a way to blow it all up. :lol:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1828 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10122439-windhorst-donovan-mitchell-to-get-200m-cavs-contract-offer-after-bickerstaff-firing.amp.html

This is pretty simple ... they're going to listen to the pitches from the coaching candidates and pick whichever combination makes sense. The times we tried to force a square player in to a round coach should be done and gone. They'll then go and pitch that to Mitchell including any options they seem to feel are reasonable, and if he agrees, then on to the next step of making sure the other players are on-board and/or getting the trade machine rolling.

We will declare this is Donovan's team and everyone's on board with it ... and then LeBron will find a way to blow it all up. :lol:

I'm encouraged that they're at least going to try to get Garland to give it another season with Mitchell under another coach. It may be that those two are simply too redundant to develop any synergy, but Kyrie and Luka are currently playing in the WCF, and it's worth trying.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 911

Post#1829 » by ijspeelman » Fri May 24, 2024 3:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

+.75

not ready for the LeBron blowing up talk :wink:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1830 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 24, 2024 4:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'm encouraged that they're at least going to try to get Garland to give it another season with Mitchell under another coach. It may be that those two are simply too redundant to develop any synergy, but Kyrie and Luka are currently playing in the WCF, and it's worth trying.

Klutch isn't gonna let Garland stay there another season if Mitchell extends.

Sure we don't have to honor their ask but holding onto disgruntled players never works out. If Allen is appeased by the jb firing cool but i assume some of the teammate stuff probably is still lingering; he might be in the same boat.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1831 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 24, 2024 4:40 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure we don't have to honor their ask but holding onto disgruntled players never works out. If Allen is appeased by the jb firing cool but i assume some of the teammate stuff probably is still lingering; he might be in the same boat.

In honesty, it's really not up to Klutch.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1832 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 24, 2024 4:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Keep in mind, sometimes just getting an NBA player on the phone can be tricky let alone bringing him in to discuss his role with a new coach, but if Darius is receptive and likes the pitch, yes, it's his choice; but, otoh, if he wants out?

What has Altman done to lead you to believe he would say 'No, you've got to suck it up and play out your contract'?
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 911

Post#1833 » by ijspeelman » Fri May 24, 2024 5:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Klutch isn't gonna let Garland stay there another season if Mitchell extends.

Keep in mind, sometimes just getting an NBA player on the phone can be tricky let alone bringing him in to discuss his role with a new coach, but if Darius is receptive and likes the pitch, yes, it's his choice; but, otoh, if he wants out?

What has Altman done to lead you to believe he would say 'No, you've got to suck it up and play out your contract'?

He hasn't done anything to say that he wouldn't either.

I am kinda putting the Garland thing on the side bc it just feels like Klutch with or without Garland is trying to leverage something outside of Garland's contract w the Cavs. I'll eat my words if/when we get an official trade request, but until then it feels irrelevant to his future w the Cavs. I think Garland's value is high enough that if he were to ask out we probs trade him if we find a good enough package
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1834 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 24, 2024 5:39 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I am kinda putting the Garland thing on the side bc it just feels like Klutch with or without Garland is trying to leverage something outside of Garland's contract w the Cavs. I'll eat my words if/when we get an official trade request, but until then it feels irrelevant to his future w the Cavs. I think Garland's value is high enough that if he were to ask out we probs trade him if we find a good enough package

Off the top of my head:

1) Kyrie wanted out, made threats, Altman traded him;
2) Sexton wanted to get paid or traded, Altman threw him in to the Mitchell deal, and then Utah paid him.
3) Love was unhappy with being benched, asked to be released from his contract, Altman released him with minimal buyout;

If Garland wants out WE WILL trade him unless the offers are horrible. In that case, we will justifiably ask DG to prove he's worth more than those offers and then we'll trade him if he still wants out. If he can't well we're probably stuck with an awful/injured Garland instead of a horrible trade package. Yippee.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1835 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:18 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Off the top of my head:

2) Sexton wanted to get paid or traded, Altman threw him in to the Mitchell deal, and then Utah paid him.
3) Love was unhappy with being benched, asked to be released from his contract, Altman released him with minimal buyout;

If Garland wants out WE WILL trade him unless the offers are horrible. In that case, we will justifiably ask DG to prove he's worth more than those offers and then we'll trade him if he still wants out. If he can't well we're probably stuck with an awful/injured Garland instead of a horrible trade package. Yippee.

I just listened to Altman's entire presser and he doesn't sound like a guy who's ready to move either Allen or Garland.

1) Kyrie had to threaten to get surgery in LBJ"s last season to get moved. There were months between the initial trade request and the actual trade.

2) The Sexton trade was inevitable. We shopped him well before any trade request was made and we traded for LeVert so if Sexton got an offer we didn't want to match, we could just let him go. We wanted to trade Sexton but finding a trade partner who was willing to pay him what he wanted, and give us value, proved to be a bit of a fool's errand.

3) K. Love was at a point in his career where they didn't want to deal with the pouting heading into the playoffs with a young team.

None of these are comparable to your 24-old PG, with 4 years left on his contract, forcing his way out. Also, Altman was speaking as if there was a trade demand, that was news to him. He spoke very positively about the exit interviews.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1836 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 24, 2024 7:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Off the top of my head:

I just listened to Altman's entire presser and he doesn't sound like a guy who's ready to move either Allen or Garland.

1) Kyrie had to threaten to get surgery in LBJ"s last season to get moved. There were months between the initial trade request and the actual trade.

2) The Sexton trade was inevitable. We shopped him well before any trade request was made and we traded for LeVert so if Sexton got an offer we didn't want to match, we could just let him go. We wanted to trade Sexton but finding a trade partner who was willing to pay him what he wanted, and give us value, proved to be a bit of a fool's errand.

3) K. Love was at a point in his career where they didn't want to deal with the pouting heading into the playoffs with a young team.

None of these are comparable to your 24-old PG, with 4 years left on his contract, forcing his way out. Also, Altman was speaking as if there was a trade demand, that was news to him. He spoke very positively about the exit interviews.

Of course Altman is going to attempt to not look desperate, and on a side note Kyrie actually did need that surgery and should have had it done earlier before things dragged out as far as they had.

But there is no evidence that they will do anything but that, because that's the culture they've been trying to build. They want players who want to be here. They want to make agents happy so they might send their players our way from time to time.

And lo and behold, the way we treated Kevin Love helped us get Max Strus. An overpay of course, but that's our lot. Donovan Mitchell can sign whatever extension he feels like with the Cavs because he knows if he wants to be somewhere else we will accommodate him.

This is very fundamental, guys.

We can try to let players cool off, we can try to address their problems or change their minds, but if they want to be gone, they will be gone and we won't be getting an Ainge-like treasure chest.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1837 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Off the top of my head:

Of course Altman is going to attempt to not look desperate, and on a side note Kyrie actually did need that surgery and should have had it done earlier before things dragged out as far as they had.

But there is no evidence that they will do anything but that, because that's the culture they've been trying to build. They want players who want to be here. They want to make agents happy so they might send their players our way from time to time.

And lo and behold, the way we treated Kevin Love helped us get Max Strus. An overpay of course, but that's our lot. Donovan Mitchell can sign whatever extension he feels like with the Cavs because he knows if he wants to be somewhere else we will accommodate him.

We can try to let players cool off, we can try to address their problems or change their minds, but if they want to be gone, they will be gone and we won't be getting an Ainge-like treasure chest.

I would encourage you to listen to entire presser. Either he's an exceptional and elaborate story teller, or there's miles of distance between where the players/organization are at, and what's getting pushed out on social media.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1838 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 24, 2024 7:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I would encourage you to listen to entire presser. Either he's an exceptional and elaborate story teller, or there's miles of distance between where the players/organization are at, and what's getting pushed out on social media.

When I get the time, but keep in mind I never said I believe all the rumors flying around, just saying if Garland wants out, we will trade him.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1839 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 25, 2024 6:25 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Not directed at you jbk but since this is where some of the conversation has taken place, i figured i would put it here.

Finally sat down and watched Koby's presser.

I will say, when he's talking about cores and saying 2 years, i disagree. Allen and Mobley have been together 3 years and Garland and Allen have been together 4 years. I know he's saying Garland and Mitchell is only 2 years but doesn't match up to the examples he was comparing to. Also, it is beneficial for him to say 2 years vs 3 or 4, for his own job security.

It is comical to me that Koby can say on one hand that Mobley was the best player on the floor in the game 5 elimination game. Then on the other hand say there is no fit issue. Like bro, zoom out, Mobley at the 5, not just during injuries is the path forward. :nonono:

Honestly, the vibe i get is it was probably player influenced but I think Dan influenced it too, when it came to letting jb go. If it were up to Koby, without outside opinions/voices, i think jb woulda been the Cavs head coach for next season.

I do like some of the stuff he said towards the end. Using the depth of the roster over 82 games, aka longer regular season rotations. Eliminating post all star break collapses the past 3 seasons aka less minutes on guys to hopefully give them a shot to be healthy. Yeah, jb got himself fired by being stubborn with short rotations. I 100% believe the rumor Koby chewed him out. If jb wasn't his friend and Bernie wasn't his colleague, jb woulda been gone sooner. Shame on Koby, why ya can't be friends with the people you manage, clouds your judgement.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1840 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 25, 2024 7:58 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Not directed at you jbk but since this is where some of the conversation has taken place, i figured i would put it here.

Finally sat down and watched Koby's presser.

I will say, when he's talking about cores and saying 2 years, i disagree. Allen and Mobley have been together 3 years and Garland and Allen have been together 4 years. I know he's saying Garland and Mitchell is only 2 years but doesn't match up to the examples he was comparing to. Also, it is beneficial for him to say 2 years vs 3 or 4, for his own job security.

It is comical to me that Koby can say on one hand that Mobley was the best player on the floor in the game 5 elimination game. Then on the other hand say there is no fit issue. Like bro, zoom out, Mobley at the 5, not just during injuries is the path forward. :nonono:

Honestly, the vibe i get is it was probably player influenced but I think Dan influenced it too, when it came to letting jb go. If it were up to Koby, without outside opinions/voices, i think jb woulda been the Cavs head coach for next season.

I do like some of the stuff he said towards the end. Using the depth of the roster over 82 games, aka longer regular season rotations. Eliminating post all star break collapses the past 3 seasons aka less minutes on guys to hopefully give them a shot to be healthy. Yeah, jb got himself fired by being stubborn with short rotations. I 100% believe the rumor Koby chewed him out. If jb wasn't his friend and Bernie wasn't his colleague, jb woulda been gone sooner. Shame on Koby, why ya can't be friends with the people you manage, clouds your judgement.

I think 2 years is fair as that's how long Mitchell has been here. Allen was only here for half a season, and Sexton was still lead guard if you're going back that far, so I think counting that season is kind of silly. But even if you want to count Mobley's rookie year, that's a pretty good three year run for Garland, Mobley, and Allen. Play-in, playoffs, and 2nd round. I honestly think that if Allen's rib doesn't get splintered he would've been too much for Horford and we'd be playing in the ECF right now.

I'm not 100% against trading any of them, but I'm not selling low and diluting talent. The Wolves are currently in the WCF with the two 7 footers and they're playing the Mavs who start two ball dominant scorers both of whom are defensive liabilities. If the right offer isn't out there, I'd run it back under a new coach.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers