ImageImageImage

JB Bickerstaff Fired

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,483

Re: JB Bickerstaff Fired 

Post#21 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 24, 2024 12:15 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Any chance that this helps pave the way to LeBron?

Can join Cavs and be involved in coaching selection but he doesn't get the coach killer hit because coach was fired prior?

Mitchell/Garland
Okoro
LeBron
Mobley
Allen

That's a team that would fit well with Vogel

That team would fit well in the 90's... No more lineups with 3 guys who can't/won't shoot. That ideology needs to leave the building like jb did yesterday.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,508

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 24, 2024 12:44 pm

Can join Cavs and be involved in coaching selection but he doesn't get the coach killer hit because coach was fired prior?

Mitchell/Garland
Okoro
LeBron
Mobley
Allen

We're expecting LeBron back at some point, perhaps as soon as this Summer? But presumably that first depends what the Lakers do or do not do. That both teams have a coaching search and will likely be looking at many of the same candidates makes things interesting.

An experienced coach like Vogel (or more likely David Joeger) should be considered if James wants back, but we'll probably pick our coach before we'll know for sure with our eye primarily on settling or restructuring our existing roster.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,837

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:18 pm

Mitchell/Garland
Okoro
LeBron
Mobley
Allen

LBJ would have to let it be known that he was coming back now and I don't see him doing that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 24, 2024 3:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Mitchell/Garland
Okoro
LeBron
Mobley
Allen

LBJ would have to let it be known that he was coming back now and I don't see him doing that.

Yep, way too many moving parts unless he's willing to take the MLE and possibly not play with his Son.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 1, 2024 5:21 am

Just curious, but is Luke Walton completely out in terms of an assistant because I did feel like certain things got better, e.g., plays out of timeouts, and I don't know if that's because JB got better, or if that was Luke.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,802

Post#26 » by toooskies » Sat Jun 1, 2024 5:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:Just curious, but is Luke Walton completely out in terms of an assistant because I did feel like certain things got better, e.g., plays out of timeouts, and I don't know if that's because JB got better, or if that was Luke.

We were second to last in the league in ATO ppp this year.

Walton might stick around because he will know some of the Golden State stuff if Atkinson is hired.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 1, 2024 5:51 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Just curious, but is Luke Walton completely out in terms of an assistant because I did feel like certain things got better, e.g., plays out of timeouts, and I don't know if that's because JB got better, or if that was Luke.

We were second to last in the league in ATO ppp this year.

Walton might stick around because he will know some of the Golden State stuff if Atkinson is hired.

I meant in the playoffs, or when it really mattered.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#28 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Jun 1, 2024 6:36 pm

So how are we feeling about the first 4 names to come up for interviews to replace jb?

Kenny Atkinson: Warriors assistant coach and former Nets head coach. D'Antoni/Bud/Kerr coaching tree.

James Borrego: Pelicans assistant coach and former Hornets and Magic head coach. Pop coaching tree. Finalist for the Lakers head coaching vacancy.

Johnnie Bryant: Knicks assistant coach. Snyder/Thibs coaching tree. Was on the Jazz staff for 3 seasons with Mitchell.

Chris Quinn: Heat assistant coach. Spo coaching tree.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,802

Post#29 » by toooskies » Sat Jun 1, 2024 7:04 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:So how are we feeling about the first 4 names to come up for interviews to replace jb?

Kenny Atkinson: Warriors assistant coach and former Nets head coach. D'Antoni/Bud/Kerr coaching tree.

James Borrego: Pelicans assistant coach and former Hornets and Magic head coach. Pop coaching tree. Finalist for the Lakers head coaching vacancy.

Johnnie Bryant: Knicks assistant coach. Snyder/Thibs coaching tree. Was on the Jazz staff for 3 seasons with Mitchell.

Need to hear them yell "that's terrible" at a referee before I have firm opinions.

Man, this field is devoid of significant real experience.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#30 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Jun 1, 2024 7:45 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:So how are we feeling about the first 4 names to come up for interviews to replace jb?

Need to hear them yell "that's terrible" at a referee before I have firm opinions.

The past decade that has kind of been the trend, since 2nd stint Mike Brown.

Blatt never played or coached in the NBA.

Lue was the associate head coach on Blatt's staff, played with MJ and Kobe, was LeBron's friend.

Drew was on Blatt and Lue's staff. He played in the NBA, extensive assistant coach history and a little head coach experience.

Beilein never played or coached in the NBA.

Jb was the associate head coach on Beilein's staff, extensive assistant coach history and a little head coach experience.

I like the idea of 3 of the 4 guys on that list, I'm good on Bryant. Looking at Kenny and Borrego's head coaching record, it leaves a lot to be desired though. I also read Kenny was PnR heavy which I'm not thrilled about.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 2, 2024 5:21 pm

Things improved, but no clue who worked on it. Not sure our inability to inbound the ball or dribble against pressure was tested much, though.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#32 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 2, 2024 5:33 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Lue was the associate head coach on Blatt's staff, played with MJ and Kobe, was LeBron's friend.

Drew was on Blatt and Lue's staff. He played in the NBA, extensive assistant coach history and a little head coach experience.

Jb was the associate head coach on Beilein's staff, extensive assistant coach history and a little head coach experience.

I like the idea of 3 of the 4 guys on that list, I'm good on Bryant. Looking at Kenny and Borrego's head coaching record, it leaves a lot to be desired though. I also read Kenny was PnR heavy which I'm not thrilled about.

Yep, it's what I've come to expect, but I suppose Dan can still throw a real curveball in to the search. And I'd assume Budenholzer knew the Cavs job was his if he wanted it, heck fair chance Bud told the Suns our offer and they just topped it and closed the deal.

Personally I'd be very focused on the candidates ideas on what to do with the roster, see if it was feasible, see if Don likes and go from there ... but that will be behind the scenes.

Also a great chance for Koby to hear some voices from outside the Cavs echo chamber.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#33 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jun 2, 2024 5:44 pm

I only heard of jb being fired. The Lakers openly fired their entire staff.

I think it is safe to assume that a new coach would want to get rid of JJ Outlaw and Greg Buckner as they followed jb from Memphis to the Cavs. Probably also cut ties with Sidney Lowe and Omar Cook as they were guys strictly on jb's staff not holdovers.

Guys like Nate Reinking and Dan Geriot i assume will still have seats on the coaching staff as they're franchise guys.

Luke Walton is the one guy that it is kind of a toss up if he will be here next season or not. He played for the Cavs, assistant coach for the Cavs. Former head coach but with an awful record.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 2, 2024 5:50 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
I only heard of jb being fired. The Lakers openly fired their entire staff.

I think it is safe to assume that a new coach would want to get rid of JJ Outlaw and Greg Buckner as they followed jb from Memphis to the Cavs. Probably also cut ties with Sidney Lowe and Omar Cook as they were guys strictly on jb's staff not holdovers.

Guys like Nate Reinking and Dan Geriot i assume will still have seats on the coaching staff as they're franchise guys.

Luke Walton is the one guy that it is kind of a toss up if he will be here next season or not. He played for the Cavs, assistant coach for the Cavs. Former head coach but with an awful record.

I thought I read that we've already let Buckner go.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jun 2, 2024 5:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Need to hear them yell "that's terrible" at a referee before I have firm opinions.

Yep, it's what I've come to expect, but I suppose Dan can still throw a real curveball in to the search. And I'd assume Budenholzer knew the Cavs job was his if he wanted it, heck fair chance Bud told the Suns our offer and they just topped it and closed the deal.

Personally I'd be very focused on the candidates ideas on what to do with the roster, see if it was feasible, see if Don likes and go from there ... but that will be behind the scenes.

Also a great chance for Koby to hear some voices from outside the Cavs echo chamber.
I just really hope they don't do the hire 2 head coach thing again, i didn't like that either time.

When Lue and jb were hired under Blatt and Beilein, the writing was on the wall that those guys were gonna takeover for the guys with zero NBA experience. Like if we're doing that just start with Lue and jb. There's no point to even waste time with the other guys.

Heck on Blatt's staff they had a back-up plan to the back-up plan, in Larry Drew. Who the heck wants their associate head coach and lead assistant just waiting to take their job? Impossible to be confident in what you're doing in those circumstances.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 2, 2024 5:57 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The past decade that has kind of been the trend, since 2nd stint Mike Brown.

I just really hope they don't do the hire 2 head coach thing again, i didn't like that either time.

When Lue and jb were hired under Blatt and Beilein, the writing was on the wall that those guys were gonna takeover for the guys with zero NBA experience. Like if we're doing that just start with Lue and jb. There's no point to even waste time with the other guys.

Heck on Blatt's staff they had a back-up plan to the back-up plan, in Larry Drew. Who the heck wants their associate head coach and lead assistant just waiting to take their job? Impossible to be confident in what you're doing in those circumstances.

Lue seemed to work well with Blatt, but perhaps the contrast and how he cleaned a lot of stuff up for him undermined him with the players and by players, I mean Lebron.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#37 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jun 2, 2024 6:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Lue seemed to work well with Blatt, but perhaps the contrast and how he cleaned a lot of stuff up for him undermined him with the players and by players, I mean Lebron.
Cavs shoulda just started with Lue.

I understand the Cavs "didn't know" LeBron was coming back when they hired Blatt but still.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#38 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 2, 2024 8:03 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I just really hope they don't do the hire 2 head coach thing again, i didn't like that either time.

I understand the Cavs "didn't know" LeBron was coming back when they hired Blatt but still.

Just Dan thinking outside the box and wanting a flashy hire ... it hasn't paid off. Lue was Griff's choice.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#39 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jun 2, 2024 9:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Just Dan thinking outside the box and wanting a flashy hire ... it hasn't paid off. Lue was Griff's choice.

Sounds like Dan repeated the same mistake with Beilein. Since jb and Koby are friends, I'm sure that was a Koby and/or Bernie choice.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#40 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 2, 2024 11:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Cavs shoulda just started with Lue.

Sounds like Dan repeated the same mistake with Beilein. Since jb and Koby are friends, I'm sure that was a Koby and/or Bernie choice.

Yep, Beilein was the best Michigan coach not named Izzo. What Dan surprisingly hasn't tried is simply spending whatever it takes for a proven coach and staff, albeit Lue was the highest paid assistant.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers