ImageImageImage

2018 Off-Season

Moderator: jbk1234

NYG
Analyst
Posts: 3,608
And1: 552
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

2018 Off-Season 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 7, 2018 4:15 pm

Not a Cavaliers fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Cavaliers are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.

I’m sure there’s two very opposite directions based on LeBron staying or leaving, but walk me through both cases.
Stillwater
Head Coach
Posts: 6,518
And1: 1,632
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 7, 2018 7:26 pm

who knows really?
dump bad contracts , trade assets for different assets, stay the course sos
The draft pick will be a small factor in what LBJ does unless it's in the top 3 after the lottery.
I do not expect him to bail this summer regardless of what the season finish is either.
"If a bullet’s going to get you, it’s already been fired” Sgt. Shroom
CaptainCanada
Junior
Posts: 399
And1: 258
Joined: Jun 10, 2016

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#3 » by CaptainCanada » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 am

Stillwater wrote:who knows really?
dump bad contracts , trade assets for different assets, stay the course sos
The draft pick will be a small factor in what LBJ does unless it's in the top 3 after the lottery.
I do not expect him to bail this summer regardless of what the season finish is either.


How much would you be willing to pay Rodney Hood?
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 96,921
And1: 43,926
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: French Canada
 

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#4 » by Dupp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am

CaptainCanada wrote:
Stillwater wrote:who knows really?
dump bad contracts , trade assets for different assets, stay the course sos
The draft pick will be a small factor in what LBJ does unless it's in the top 3 after the lottery.
I do not expect him to bail this summer regardless of what the season finish is either.


How much would you be willing to pay Rodney Hood?


Whatever his plane ticket out of Cleveland costs
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
CaptainCanada
Junior
Posts: 399
And1: 258
Joined: Jun 10, 2016

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#5 » by CaptainCanada » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 am

Dupp wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Stillwater wrote:who knows really?
dump bad contracts , trade assets for different assets, stay the course sos
The draft pick will be a small factor in what LBJ does unless it's in the top 3 after the lottery.
I do not expect him to bail this summer regardless of what the season finish is either.


How much would you be willing to pay Rodney Hood?


Whatever his plane ticket out of Cleveland costs


Is he really that bad? I thought he was a steal for Cav's in trade
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 96,921
And1: 43,926
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: French Canada
 

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#6 » by Dupp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am

CaptainCanada wrote:
Dupp wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
How much would you be willing to pay Rodney Hood?


Whatever his plane ticket out of Cleveland costs


Is he really that bad? I thought he was a steal for Cav's in trade



He’s been awful but I think he can be decent with a bit of confidence and used better.

I imagine Lebron is gone so this guy will be sent on his bike as well. No idea what I’d be willing to spend on him if Lebron did stay. Not much
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
Stillwater
Head Coach
Posts: 6,518
And1: 1,632
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Dupp wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Dupp wrote:
Whatever his plane ticket out of Cleveland costs


Is he really that bad? I thought he was a steal for Cav's in trade



He’s been awful but I think he can be decent with a bit of confidence and used better.

I imagine Lebron is gone so this guy will be sent on his bike as well. No idea what I’d be willing to spend on him if Lebron did stay. Not much

He doesn't have the handle to attack at a high level but his shooting ability and athleticism are starter material and his defense looks worse than it will be assuming improv likely having never played on a team that switches everyone and maybe just not being fast twitched enough to ever be a high level defender.
I would expect if he has a couple high efficiency shooting games that help us past Indiana, Altman will definitely see him as an asset and not a liability as would other GM's. Big stage success is highly coveted over stats in the reg
"If a bullet’s going to get you, it’s already been fired” Sgt. Shroom
User avatar
cavs4872
Sophomore
Posts: 194
And1: 36
Joined: Aug 24, 2017
Location: Cleveland, OH
     

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#8 » by cavs4872 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Dupp wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Dupp wrote:
Whatever his plane ticket out of Cleveland costs


Is he really that bad? I thought he was a steal for Cav's in trade



He’s been awful but I think he can be decent with a bit of confidence and used better.

I imagine Lebron is gone so this guy will be sent on his bike as well. No idea what I’d be willing to spend on him if Lebron did stay. Not much

****, he would shine more without LBJ; dude could easily average 20 in a season.
User avatar
yoyoboy
General Manager
Posts: 9,531
And1: 10,939
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
Location: Cleveland - Lifelong
     

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#9 » by yoyoboy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:24 am

cavs4872 wrote:
Dupp wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Is he really that bad? I thought he was a steal for Cav's in trade



He’s been awful but I think he can be decent with a bit of confidence and used better.

I imagine Lebron is gone so this guy will be sent on his bike as well. No idea what I’d be willing to spend on him if Lebron did stay. Not much

****, he would shine more without LBJ; dude could easily average 20 in a season.

If he's putting up 20 a game for your team, you're not winning many games.

Hood's best attribute is his shooting and yet due to how inconsistent he is, he really not that great at it. 36.9% from 3 for his career on 5 attempts per game and 35.2% on 3.5 attempts per game with the Cavs is nothing special. League average is 36.2%. He has poor vision, he's a bad rebounder for his size (3.0 rpg for his career at 6'8 is inexcusable), and he's a liability on defense.

We better not be the team that pays him. Any team that's looking to give him $12 million a year or whatever he'll be commanding is going to be looking at a bad contract as soon as he signs. After Tristan, JR, Shumpert, and now Clarkson, I'm so sick of being handicapped by bad to mediocre players forcing us into the luxury tax. If we can get him for $5-6 million per year in a bench role, then fine, but that's not happening.
Stillwater
Head Coach
Posts: 6,518
And1: 1,632
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: 2018 Off-Season 

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 am

I think depends a lot on what we can get by dumping Thompson and the pick if that's the direction we go but could very well be given the depth of this lottery we could easily justify keeping the prospect and if it's an impact defender like either Bridges,K Thomas, Zhaire etc we can still compete and contend another year or 2 with the roster in place. I'm not gonna sit here and say it's ideal because there are holes ,but such is the case with most rosters. LeBron has no major incentive to leave based on teammates imo .
"If a bullet’s going to get you, it’s already been fired” Sgt. Shroom

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers