ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#101 » by LAL1947 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:We'd have a pretty serious hole at SG, and if we have to add picks, we couldn't fill it.

KPJ would have filled that hole pretty nicely, lol. Anyway, I'm not sure why the Cavs haven't brought out the tank commander yet. The top two SGs are projected to go high (Top 6?), Jaden Hardy and Jaden Ivey. Of the two, I think Ivey may be a better fit alongside Garland.

IMO, the Cavs really should target finishing bottom 5 this season, ahead of the Rockets, Pistons, Magic, Thunder... get their SG, then compete normally from next season onward. Instead, y'all are 7 games ahead of the Pelicans and 3 ahead of the Spurs (who will be wanting to get Jabari Smith Jr).
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,839

Post#102 » by yoyoboy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:10 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:We'd have a pretty serious hole at SG, and if we have to add picks, we couldn't fill it.

KPJ would have filled that hole pretty nicely, lol. Anyway, I'm not sure why the Cavs haven't brought out the tank commander yet. The top two SGs are projected to go high (Top 6?), Jaden Hardy and Jaden Ivey. Of the two, I think Ivey may be a better fit alongside Garland.

IMO, the Cavs really should target finishing bottom 5 this season, ahead of the Rockets, Pistons, Magic, Thunder... get their SG, then compete normally from next season onward. Instead, y'all are 7 games ahead of the Pelicans and 3 ahead of the Spurs (who will be wanting to get Jabari Smith Jr).

The issue is continuous losing really starts to harm the development of young guys and establish a culture of losing. Right now, the Cavs have great locker room chemistry with guys who really like playing with each other. Garland seems excited to finally be winning games. Love has his best attitude in years. Mobley is having fun out there.

Asking players to sit out games just so the team can lose would be so destructive. And when healthy, the team just isn’t bad enough to be picking top 5. Ideally we finish in the play-in range, get the core some experience in a high-leverage game, and then hit a home run on a wing in the late lottery. I like Ivey as well, but he’ll be out of our range. Maybe we hit the lotto again lol.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,834

Post#103 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:40 pm

LAL1947 wrote:

If healthy, we're too good to tank.

Also, KPJ bought his own ticket out of town and he's still got a long way to go before he's a good two-way player.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#104 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:07 pm

Just so we’re clear, this is the same Porter that shoots 32% from 3 and his teams are an amazing 7-35 in his 42 games with the Rockets.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,129

Trade ideas 

Post#105 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Dec 2, 2021 3:27 pm

What would the cost be on Dorian Finney-Smith? And can he still play the wing, or has he become a pure combo-forward?

I struggle in value because final year, cheap, down season, DAL is in a weird place.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 3:55 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:What would the cost be on Dorian Finney-Smith? And can he still play the wing, or has he become a pure combo-forward?

I struggle in value because final year, cheap, down season, DAL is in a weird place.

I like DFS, but the Mavs are the definition of a win-now team with Luka coming off his rookie deal. Maybe if this season looks lost at the half way point, they might be interested in doing a strategic tank like GS did and swapping DFS for Sexton's matching rights. The problem with that is the Cavs would have to have a commitment from DFS that he'd re-sign at a reasonable number this summer and he really had no reason to make such a commitment when he's looking at first real payday. He might also be too limited offensively to play in rotations with Okoro and Allen which kind of makes you wonder whether this is really a road the Cavs should even go down.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#107 » by Revenged25 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:What would the cost be on Dorian Finney-Smith? And can he still play the wing, or has he become a pure combo-forward?

I like DFS, but the Mavs are the definition of a win-now team with Luka coming off his rookie deal. Maybe if this season looks lost at the half way point, they might be interested in doing a strategic tank like GS did and swapping DFS for Sexton's matching rights. The problem with that is the Cavs would have to have a commitment from DFS that he'd re-sign at a reasonable number this summer and he really had no reason to make such a commitment when he's looking at first real payday. He might also be too limited offensively to play in rotations with Okoro and Allen which kind of makes you wonder whether this is really a road the Cavs should even go down.

What about going for Dillon Brooks instead? With Desmond Bane stepping up for the Grizzlies Brooks would be a good fit for the Cavs at either SG or SF depending on who is sitting.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,508

Post#108 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:01 pm

What do you like about Finney-Smith over Lauri/Isaac/Cedi/etc?

He's already much older than all those guys and unless you think we'd unlock something, he hasn't had much usage in Dallas ... generally around 8 shots per game.

I think Cedi has been flying under the radar this season. Maybe he won't keep it up, but so far he's been a pretty decent facsimile of the 3&D wing we've been looking for.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#109 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:51 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

He's already much older than all those guys and unless you think we'd unlock something, he hasn't had much usage in Dallas ... generally around 8 shots per game.

I think Cedi has been flying under the radar this season. Maybe he won't keep it up, but so far he's been a pretty decent facsimile of the 3&D wing we've been looking for.

Honestly, the Cavs are thin on the wing and we’ve been relatively lucky with Love, Markkanen, and Windler this year, and with Sexton out, Rubio has spent too much time at the off-guard position.

I think he would give the Cavs positional flexibility to absorb injuries and maintain roles as the year goes on and wouldn’t disrupt the defensive emphasis. That consistency aids development.

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#110 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:10 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Honestly, the Cavs are thin on the wing and we’ve been relatively lucky with Love, Markkanen, and Windler this year, and with Sexton out, Rubio has spent too much time at the off-guard position.

I think he would give the Cavs positional flexibility to absorb injuries and maintain roles as the year goes on and wouldn’t disrupt the defensive emphasis. That consistency aids development.

More depth is always appreciated, but with Okoro back, Ricky has been playing under 30 mpg. That seems sustainable. If Pangos doesn't start looking like he belongs in the NBA, what we might need is another PG to protect us in case of injury to Garland or Rubio.

What they're doing is far more key to our success.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:22 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

What about going for Dillon Brooks instead? With Desmond Bane stepping up for the Grizzlies Brooks would be a good fit for the Cavs at either SG or SF depending on who is sitting.

The Cavs really should give Lauri and Okoro another 30 games at the 3 and 2 and then reevaluate around the deadline. For better or worse, we traded for Lauri and paid him all that money. I'd at least like to see if he can settle into SF. Okoro was the No. 5 overall pick and it seems nuts to conclude he's too limited offensively this early in his career.

Also, Memphis will want a premium to move Brooks this early in the season and he's only been shooting slightly better than Okoro. On the other hand, if their defense is still statistically the worst in the NBA at the deadline, and Brooks is still struggling with his shot, they might have a fire sale on everyone except Ja and JJJ.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#112 » by JonFromVA » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:05 pm

Yep, I'm in no rush to give up our first round pick let alone picks unless we're able to add another piece to our core.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#113 » by KuruptedCav » Sat Dec 4, 2021 12:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Yep, I'm in no rush to give up our first round pick let alone picks unless we're able to add another piece to our core.

I wouldn’t touch the first round picks for anyone short of a core player.

I would be willing to part with the SAS pick, HOU pick, Collin Sexton (for a team wanting to oversee his rehab and have his RFA rights), JaVale McGee trade exemption.

That’s where the DFS thought came from above. McGee TE and the Houston Pick was in my head.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:43 am

For the first time in a really long time, the Cavs are in the position to let guys develop while playing competitive, even good, basketball. I wouldn't squander that opportunity. Unless someone comes along with an offer that's to good to pass up, I hope we sit tight. Let the season play out.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,800

Post#115 » by toooskies » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:For the first time in a really long time, the Cavs are in the position to let guys develop while playing competitive, even good, basketball. I wouldn't squander that opportunity. Unless someone comes along with an offer that's to good to pass up, I hope we sit tight. Let the season play out.

I wouldn't mind that, but we're also only three games out of first and have been competitive with the best teams on the league while missing key personnel. A win-now move or two might make this team VERY interesting.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#116 » by JonFromVA » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:30 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:For the first time in a really long time, the Cavs are in the position to let guys develop while playing competitive, even good, basketball. I wouldn't squander that opportunity. Unless someone comes along with an offer that's to good to pass up, I hope we sit tight. Let the season play out.

I wouldn't mind that, but we're also only three games out of first and have been competitive with the best teams on the league while missing key personnel. A win-now move or two might make this team VERY interesting.

It all depends what kind of deal we entertain and what it costs us. For instance, the obvious upgrade would be at SG or SF and any such move would come at the cost of seeing what Isaac and Lauri can do. A Simmons-level deal could propel or disrupt what we've got going on.

Also while we're happy with the direction the team is heading, I'm not sure we're in a "sell high" zone unless we're willing to deal Evan, Darius, Jarrett, or Ricky. Whereas if we continue to develop roles for our rotation and keep winning, that typically helps raise the trade value of even "role players".

I'm sure we'll continue to kick tires on Sexton trades, but his market has pretty much bottomed out at this point. Still, if we do need some help, his contract will be the easiest way to get something done.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by toooskies » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:43 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:

It all depends what kind of deal we entertain and what it costs us. For instance, the obvious upgrade would be at SG or SF and any such move would come at the cost of seeing what Isaac and Lauri can do. A Simmons-level deal could propel or disrupt what we've got going on.

Also while we're happy with the direction the team is heading, I'm not sure we're in a "sell high" zone unless we're willing to deal Evan, Darius, Jarrett, or Ricky. Whereas if we continue to develop roles for our rotation and keep winning, that typically helps raise the trade value of even "role players".

I'm sure we'll continue to kick tires on Sexton trades, but his market has pretty much bottomed out at this point. Still, if we do need some help, his contract will be the easiest way to get something done.

Love + Sexton for a wing makes a package where if Lauri loses minutes at the 3, he gets them back at the 4. For instance, Love + Sexton + picks for McCollum + Covington gives us the ability to run out a potent offensive lineup (Garland/McCollum/Osman/Markkanen/Allen) or a truly suffocating defensive lineup (Rubio/Okoro/RoCo/Mobley/Allen) in various circumstances, or just run mixed teams that have standout offensive and defensive players. Okoro still has plenty of minutes at the backup 2 and 3 regardless, and injuries open up plenty of minutes for a 2nd year guy who doesn't have a much offensive game.

Or you could do the cheaper version of that deal with Love for Hield + Barnes or Hield + Bagley where you give up fewer picks and possibly not even Sexton.

I'm not sure the roster should add three rookies next year with so much youth on the roster already, so at least one or two of our 2022 1st and the 2022 HOU/SAS 2nds should be on the table between now and next year's draft.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:53 pm

toooskies wrote:

There isn't a trade that's going to make Mobley, or to a lesser extent, Garland develop more quickly, and if there was such a trade, we already made it last summer when we acquired Rubio. Things seem to being going very well organically, and when you're lucky enough to find yourself in that situation, you need to be very careful not to do anything that will cause reversals. Mobley and Garland still need a little more time to develop IMO, and as long as that's the case, I wouldn't be in any rush on Okoro or Lauri. If you trade Okoro this soon and he develops an offensive game, you'll be kicking yourself for years.

I'm good if we're a first round exit this season and picking in the 16-20 range. Now, if someone makes the right offer on Sexton, you're out of time there and you have a decision to make. If Rubio's agent makes clear he's looking for some giant bag, and someone offers real value, then you have a decision to make on that front. If the Blazers are blowing it up and want to get off of McCollum's last year with a Love swap, then the Cavs should think about it. But those are the only types of trades the Cavs should entertain.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#119 » by Revenged25 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:26 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:

With the chemistry this team has, it'd be very hard to consider moving someone might affect them and cause them to spiral. I think this year the best plan is to just sit tight let them play together and then next year look to use things like Love's contract + 1sts etc to find player(s) that match it and can provide an upgrade/improved depth.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#120 » by toooskies » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

There isn't a trade that's going to make Mobley, or to a lesser extent, Garland develop more quickly, and if there was such a trade, we already made it last summer when we acquired Rubio. Things seem to being going very well organically, and when you're lucky enough to find yourself in that situation, you need to be very careful not to do anything that will cause reversals. Mobley and Garland still need a little more time to develop IMO, and as long as that's the case, I wouldn't be in any rush on Okoro or Lauri. If you trade Okoro this soon and he develops an offensive game, you'll be kicking yourself for years.

I'm good if we're a first round exit this season and picking in the 16-20 range. Now, if someone makes the right offer on Sexton, you're out of time there and you have a decision to make. If Rubio's agent makes clear he's looking for some giant bag, and someone offers real value, then you have a decision to make on that front. If the Blazers are blowing it up and want to get off of McCollum's last year with a Love swap, then the Cavs should think about it. But those are the only types of trades the Cavs should entertain.

If the Garland/Mobley/Allen core keeps winning at something close to the 12-4 rate that they've been going at when they're all healthy (and 11-1 in the last 12 they've played together), then making a win-now trade to make a longer playoff run may be the best developmental move we can make for them. We're one game away from home court advantage in the playoffs. Miami should continue to struggle with Bam out, and Washington has struggled a bit since their hot start.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers