Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,492

Re: 2021-22 regular season thread 

Post#1161 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 7, 2022 10:44 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I've been staying away because I don't want to be negative, and there's still a lot of basketball left to be played, but that LeVert trade is looking so, so bad right now. On top of all the painfully obvious fit issues, he had a really serious injury history. I cannot get over everything the Cavs gave up to get him. We were just bidding against ourselves there.

On the plus side, both the Raptors and the Celtics also overpaid for the guys they landed.

Indiana didn't have to accept the best offer let alone trade him, and the amount we overpaid is approximately the difference between the Houston 2nd rounder and the Spurs. Getting that Miami second rounder is an underappreciated part of the deal *if* that's the pick we use to draft Isaiah Mobley.

Unless of course you don't think Mobley's older brother is worth a pick at all, but it just seems like a Cavalier kind of thing to do and better the Miami 2nd than the Spurs 2nd.

Hopefully we'll get another look at LeVert real soon, but by all means, don't let him stop you from posting on the board.

I purposely avoided mentioning LeVert, but that was the subtext in the McCollum "Around the NBA" post. I am still hopeful for LeVert to turn things on when he gets in the lineup, but we haven't seen enough yet.

Do you draft Isaiah just to keep the Lakers from signing him before we do as a UDFA? I'm sure they (and the Clippers, and a bunch of other teams) will pick him up the same way Giannis's brothers have had careers riding the deep bench for contenders, but then maybe LeVert isn't even available.

I think we draft Isaiah for numerous on-court and off-court reasons, and we draft him in the second round to emphasize that we value him. If it means keeping him away from certain teams, that's a bonus. We can also offer him a draft promise which may help persuade him to not go back to USC for a 4th year. There isn't a fixed pay scale for second round picks or undrafted players, so, we'd be to free to sign Isaiah to any sort of contract we'd like (at least that our exceptions and cap space allow).

I don't think his draft value is too high (2nd round to undrafted range), but if we had to we could draft him with the Spurs pick and at least the collective moaning wouldn't be as loud if we only had the Houston pick and felt we had to use that to keep Isaiah from being drafted by another team.

In reality, we'd be investing in Evan and trying to make sure he's as comfortable as possible both on the floor and off, which is not to say Isaiah has no value as a player.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1162 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 7, 2022 10:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I've been staying away because I don't want to be negative, and there's still a lot of basketball left to be played, but that LeVert trade is looking so, so bad right now. On top of all the painfully obvious fit issues, he had a really serious injury history. I cannot get over everything the Cavs gave up to get him. We were just bidding against ourselves there.

On the plus side, both the Raptors and the Celtics also overpaid for the guys they landed.

Indiana didn't have to accept the best offer let alone trade him, and the amount we overpaid is approximately the difference between the Houston 2nd rounder and the Spurs. Getting that Miami second rounder is an underappreciated part of the deal *if* that's the pick we use to draft Isaiah Mobley.

Unless of course you don't think Mobley's older brother is worth a pick at all, but it just seems like a Cavalier kind of thing to do and better the Miami 2nd than the Spurs 2nd.

Hopefully we'll get another look at LeVert real soon, but by all means, don't let him stop you from posting on the board.

I'd be really interested in knowing what the second best offer for LeVert was because I'm not at all convinced that it was future cap space and a first.

It doesn't matter if Indiana wasn't going to accept it. I mean Eric Gordon is still in Houston.

Derrick White, otoh, cost Boston a pair of 1st round picks, Langford and Richardson.

Speaking of White, he's averaging 11-3-3 on 27% 3pt and 53% TS, so far for Boston after 10 games (only 1 start).
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1163 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Mar 8, 2022 5:04 am

I stand by that this team is tired, especially Mobley. It’s the primary reason I didn’t want the Cavs to make a big move. They are a year away from being more than a puncher’s chance.

The first full offseason a player gets, the off-season after their rookie year, is generally where we see the biggest jumps. Darius and Okoro had theirs impinged by COVID. I expect this team to see significant internal improvement this off-season as Okoro catches up and Mobley gets worked through.

LeHurt was wholly predictable. Still a fun team to watch and an enjoyable season.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,774

Post#1164 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 5:20 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'd be really interested in knowing what the second best offer for LeVert was because I'm not at all convinced that it was future cap space and a first.

It doesn't matter if Indiana wasn't going to accept it. I mean Eric Gordon is still in Houston.

Derrick White, otoh, cost Boston a pair of 1st round picks, Langford and Richardson.

Speaking of White, he's averaging 11-3-3 on 27% 3pt and 53% TS, so far for Boston after 10 games (only 1 start).

I don't believe for a minute that they wouldn't have accepted an expiring contract for him if his continued presence would've been an impediment to the Hali trade. But even if they would've kept him, I think the Cavs would've been better off.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1165 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 8, 2022 7:00 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't believe for a minute that they wouldn't have accepted an expiring contract for him if his continued presence would've been an impediment to the Hali trade. But even if they would've kept him, I think the Cavs would've been better off.

If he played some part in the Pacers adding Haliburton, I have no clue and certainly the Cavs had no way to know, other than to sit back and hope something fell in their lap.

They.needed to bring in some help and preserve the value of Ricky's contact. Worst case we lose in the playin and keep our pick

Well... I'm sure you can think of even worse ...
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,786

Post#1166 » by toooskies » Tue Mar 8, 2022 4:52 pm

I think it's a bit quick to judge LeVert based on a few games and a mid-foot sprain. I wish he had come in and made an impact, but he's fitting right into the team culture by getting injured.

It's crazy that Kevin Love has been the healthiest player on the roster this season.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1167 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 8, 2022 6:56 pm

toooskies wrote:I think it's a bit quick to judge LeVert based on a few games and a mid-foot sprain. I wish he had come in and made an impact, but he's fitting right into the team culture by getting injured.

It's crazy that Kevin Love has been the healthiest player on the roster this season.

Oh, you just did that. Maybe we should counter your jinx by guessing what Kevin will injure tonight? Back? Foot? Knee? Concussion?
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,786

Post#1168 » by toooskies » Tue Mar 8, 2022 7:23 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:I think it's a bit quick to judge LeVert based on a few games and a mid-foot sprain. I wish he had come in and made an impact, but he's fitting right into the team culture by getting injured.

Oh, you just did that. Maybe we should counter your jinx by guessing what Kevin will injure tonight? Back? Foot? Knee? Concussion?

Tailbone contusion after taking a charge.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1169 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 9:44 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If he played some part in the Pacers adding Haliburton, I have no clue and certainly the Cavs had no way to know, other than to sit back and hope something fell in their lap.

They.needed to bring in some help and preserve the value of Ricky's contact. Worst case we lose in the playin and keep our pick

I'd rather we kept the picks and gotten Buddy instead for just Rubio's expiring deal. Heck, I would've been fine if we made no trade and tried to steal Warren from them on a one year prove it deal if they were going to be saddled with both LeVert and Heild's contracts next summer. I'm very concerned that the F.O. doesn't full grasp the spacing issues that exist with an Allen/Mobley front court and how that necessarily impacts who they should be targeting. I get that they can run action for LeVert to help alleviate that but really, the action should be designed around your best players. We have two all stars and the presumptive ROY on the roster right now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1170 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 8, 2022 11:45 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'd rather we kept the picks and gotten Buddy instead for just Rubio's expiring deal. Heck, I would've been fine if we made no trade and tried to steal Warren from them on a one year prove it deal if they were going to be saddled with both LeVert and Heild's contracts next summer. I'm very concerned that the F.O. doesn't full grasp the spacing issues that exist with an Allen/Mobley front court and how that necessarily impacts who they should be targeting. I get that they can run action for LeVert to help alleviate that but really, the action should be designed around your best players. We have two all stars and the presumptive ROY on the roster right now.

We were missing Garland and Markkenen for quite a few games, there. The spacing as much as I've worried about it does not appear to be a major impediment to our success ... not like the problems we've run in to when defenses focus in on Garland, or our defense loses their focus.

The thing is ... out of our best players, only one of them can be trusted to dribble the ball and we've got nothing if Garland gets trapped. Hopefully Mobley becomes a guy we can trust with the ball in his hands, but stay tuned if/when that will be. So, LeVert gives us that outlet, as well as someone else who can score a bucket on his own

I love it as much as the next Cavs fan when Altman commits highway robbery out of nowhere, but we're exiting that opportunistic phase of our rebuild and you're going to see more instances of the Cavs giving something up to get something they need when they need it.

As for Hield, he's a pretty divisive player in his own right in terms of defense and chucking. Do Pacer fans even want to still keep him this week? Maybe he's just not on Altman's list of players he'd want even if he didn't cost picks. *shrugs*
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1171 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Mar 9, 2022 1:19 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

We were missing Garland and Markkenen for quite a few games, there. The spacing as much as I've worried about it does not appear to be a major impediment to our success ... not like the problems we've run in to when defenses focus in on Garland, or our defense loses their focus.

The thing is ... out of our best players, only one of them can be trusted to dribble the ball and we've got nothing if Garland gets trapped. Hopefully Mobley becomes a guy we can trust with the ball in his hands, but stay tuned if/when that will be. So, LeVert gives us that outlet, as well as someone else who can score a bucket on his own

I love it as much as the next Cavs fan when Altman commits highway robbery out of nowhere, but we're exiting that opportunistic phase of our rebuild and you're going to see more instances of the Cavs giving something up to get something they need when they need it.

As for Hield, he's a pretty divisive player in his own right in terms of defense and chucking. Do Pacer fans even want to still keep him this week? Maybe he's just not on Altman's list of players he'd want even if he didn't cost picks. *shrugs*

He might be divisive, but his ten-game run with the Pacers has been solid. Efficient, taking more shots in the paint and dishing at an exceptional rate.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#1172 » by ijspeelman » Wed Mar 9, 2022 1:52 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

We do have almost all our picks + some extras over the next few years so I assume if they sense championship contention they won't be shy in adding those pieces if they are available. Koby hasn't done us wrong yet so when he decides to break out the war room I'll be ready.

As for our team construction, our offensive problems early this season (with and without Rubio) were definitely due to a lack of playmaking versus a lack of 3pt shooting (we lack both, but the former was wayyy more apparent that it needed to be fixed). I still have hopes can fill the cog of a secondary playmaker and can help shoulder the load when Garland is off the court (I do still think we need to match him up with a solid bench PG next season, Ricky, Tyus Jones, Aaron Holiday). I still don't know Sexton's place on this team if LeVert does not fit into the role of a secondary playmaker since they will be pretty redundant (Sexton better scorer, but LeVert better passer).
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1173 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 9, 2022 3:24 pm

At least we came away with the win last night when Indiana ratched up the defense to focus on Garland, even if it took a bone headed take foul attributed to Jalen Smith (had to look this up in the game log) to secure it.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1174 » by jbk1234 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 4:31 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

We do have almost all our picks + some extras over the next few years so I assume if they sense championship contention they won't be shy in adding those pieces if they are available. Koby hasn't done us wrong yet so when he decides to break out the war room I'll be ready.

As for our team construction, our offensive problems early this season (with and without Rubio) were definitely due to a lack of playmaking versus a lack of 3pt shooting (we lack both, but the former was wayyy more apparent that it needed to be fixed). I still have hopes can fill the cog of a secondary playmaker and can help shoulder the load when Garland is off the court (I do still think we need to match him up with a solid bench PG next season, Ricky, Tyus Jones, Aaron Holiday). I still don't know Sexton's place on this team if LeVert does not fit into the role of a secondary playmaker since they will be pretty redundant (Sexton better scorer, but LeVert better passer).

The Kobe hasn't made a mistake yet talking point needs to die. He's done a good job, but not trading Sexton for Herro this summer was an L. The LeVert trade is an L. Even good GMs make mistakes. Masai traded a first for Thad Young when they desperately needed backcourt help.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1175 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 9, 2022 5:22 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The Kobe hasn't made a mistake yet talking point needs to die. He's done a good job, but not trading Sexton for Herro this summer was an L. The LeVert trade is an L. Even good GMs make mistakes. Masai traded a first for Thad Young when they desperately needed backcourt help.

It's neither here nor there, because as you point out mistakes are an inevitable part of the job, but your examples are bad.

I'd also tend to judge a GM by whether he has a methodology and whether he sticks with it, so in that respect, if he actually was offered Herro for Sexton (the rumor was only that Miami had interest in Sexton) I'd score it as a positive if he took a pass because Herro seems more interested in living the life than putting in the work.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1176 » by jbk1234 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 5:36 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

It's neither here nor there, because as you point out mistakes are an inevitable part of the job, but your examples are bad.

I'd also tend to judge a GM by whether he has a methodology and whether he sticks with it, so in that respect, if he actually was offered Herro for Sexton (the rumor was only that Miami had interest in Sexton) I'd score it as a positive if he took a pass because Herro seems more interested in living the life than putting in the work.

Look like he's been putting in the work to me. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/herroty01.html

He'd have been a nearly ideal fit as either a sixth man or running mate with Garland and has another year over Sexton on his rookie deal. He's a good three point shooter on high volume. That was an L.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1177 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 9, 2022 6:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Look like he's been putting in the work to me. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/herroty01.html

He'd have been a nearly ideal fit as either a sixth man or running mate with Garland and has another year over Sexton on his rookie deal. He's a good three point shooter on high volume. That was an L.

Koby doesn't take an L because there was a rumor that Miami had interest in Sexton, he also doesn't take an L because Sexton got hurt and we never got to see how he did or did not fit with this team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#1178 » by LivingLegend » Wed Mar 9, 2022 6:34 pm

I just looked at our next 5 games....oh boy....

If we go 2-3 I will be happy and hope thats not enough to drop them all the way out.

We could really use a team like BOS or CHI to start crapping the bed right about now.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#1179 » by ijspeelman » Wed Mar 9, 2022 6:34 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

1. Did we ever have the option to make this trade seriously? No one not even the Cavs thought we were going to be this good this year so we would all be scratching our heads at the beginning of the season if they made a win-now (obviously admit this would help the future as well, but...) and gave up a bunch of assets (picks) and Sexton.

2. I think judging the LeVert trade as an L after one month is premature. His 4 games haven't been spectacular, but it is such a small sample size and I think there have been flashes of what we need with this trade. Just re-watched all his field goal attempts and assists earlier today and my take away is Garland and LeVert mesh on the floor together very well. When one of them is moving and the other has the ball, good looks happen. He needs to cut down on pull-ups from 3 and the long two and in general should be looking more to hold on to his dribble if there is no good drive available (he shown this ability in just four games a couple of times, but does still proceed to hoist up some questionable shots within 10ft with some opportunities for kick-outs or short passes to the rim). He is a legitimately competent catch-and-shoot 3P shooter (has shot 39.4% on the season according to NBA tracking data), has the ability to drive into the paint and dish or lob, and can help shoulder the offensive load while Garland is off the floor. I'm not saying this is a W and I am not saying this is an L; I am saying lets give LeVert a year and decide that more then (remember we gave up an expiring contract, a late FRP, and an early SRP to grab him...).
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1180 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 9, 2022 7:34 pm

LivingLegend wrote:I just looked at our next 5 games....oh boy....

If we go 2-3 I will be happy and hope thats not enough to drop them all the way out.

We could really use a team like BOS or CHI to start crapping the bed right about now.

Yes, we were very fortunate Indiana gift-tanked us that game.

Unfortunately, we're back on the treadmill with Rondo wondering if he's going to actually start contributing while pondering when/if JBB will have the guts to tag Goodwin who'd shown some promise; and wondering how long LeVert will take to make a positive impact.

Earlier in the season we over-achieved in these circumstances, but funny how our supposedly easy schedule looks pretty hard.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers