ImageImageImage

Larry Hughes question from Bulls fan

Moderator: ijspeelman

TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#21 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:38 pm

I think he might be a pretty good fit for the Bulls. His length was nice to have at the point guard spot and he consistently played good defense for us. The only problem defensively is that he's much better against most point guards than he is against most shooting guards. The more physical players give him fits because of his slight build. Offensively, he's looked better lately seemingly he's gotten over the fear of being injured that he's had since he's been here.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,261

Re: Larry Hughes question from Bulls fan 

Post#22 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:28 pm

L&H_05 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

In his younger days he was simply a gambler... He's still a gambler, but really improved his man to man defense here in the framework of the team IMO... I have no problems with Larry's defense..

Drew Gooden doesn't come equipped with defense, so no need to ask about it..

And as a Wizard fan who's laughing at how well the Cavs know Larry now, I'd still like to him in a Wizard uni over DeShawn Stevenson and Roger Mason BECAUSE Larry really can defend, now that Brown made him more disciplined on defense.

Hughes has an intangible that he can stink at shooting and go down with seeming minor or freakish type injuries, YET he's the type of guy who might hand Kobe or Ginobili or Carter -- ANYBODY-- their ass on Larry's night.

Hughes is better in big games so long as he doesn't shoot you out of games. He's not a shooter at all but he can change a game when he's on.

I see a bit of Stephen Jackson in him. If Larry can hit his three more consistently I won't be surprised if his best basketball is still yet to be played.
Bye bye Beal.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:33 pm

My biggest problem with Hughes was that he refused to have a good shooting night (well at least most of the times). He'd have great shooting first halves and then just start (or continue as the case may be) to take bad shots until he ended up with a poor shooting night. It was often frustrating to watch. You'd get to the point where you just hoped he'd start out shooting poorly and maybe that'd stop him from shooting at all.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#24 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:58 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:I think he might be a pretty good fit for the Bulls. His length was nice to have at the point guard spot and he consistently played good defense for us. The only problem defensively is that he's much better against most point guards than he is against most shooting guards. The more physical players give him fits because of his slight build. Offensively, he's looked better lately seemingly he's gotten over the fear of being injured that he's had since he's been here.

With the Bulls, Hinrich will often defend the SGs because Gordon cant handle them - partly due to his size. Bulls are used to switching on defense. If necessary, Hinrich can switch with Hughes on defensive assignments

Hughes shooting sounds just like that of ex-Bull Jamal Crawford.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:48 pm

He's not as good a shooter as Crawford, but he's not as big a chucker as Crawford either.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,093

Post#26 » by mg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:18 pm

The Bulls will probably have to start Hughes. He did NOT like the idea of coming off the bench for the Cavs. I believe Hughes and Gordon would probably be their best backcourt anyway. On paper they would appear to compliment each other very well.

Of course Larry could be injured again in a few weeks and they could just throw Sefolosha(sp?) into the starting lineup. My buddy at work is a Bulls fan and seems to think adding Hughes could be the end of Gordon in Chicago. Actually I believe Hinrich should be the odd man out..he's so overrated but that's just my opinion.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:37 pm

I actually like Hinrich, but since he really doesn't play point much in Chicago I'm starting to wonder if he's really a PG. If he's not a real point guard he's a pretty terrible SG.
pdenninggolden
Analyst
And1: 1

Larry Hughes 

Post#28 » by pdenninggolden » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:29 pm

bulls6 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

With the Bulls, Hinrich will often defend the SGs because Gordon cant handle them - partly due to his size. Bulls are used to switching on defense. If necessary, Hinrich can switch with Hughes on defensive assignments

Hughes shooting sounds just like that of ex-Bull Jamal Crawford.
:

You didn't say that! :rofl:
The NBA: Where DRose Happens!
"The problem with the world is that it draws the circle of the family too small."--Mother Theresa
God Rest the Souls of Norm VanLier and Johnny "Red" Kerr
babythug23
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#29 » by babythug23 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:35 pm

I'm not sure Larry will start right off. If Deng and Gordon can't start what makes him think he should start? Not speaking for all bulls fans But i just want him to take Duhon Mins. I just hope he doesnt come in and think he needs to BE THE MAN. Bulls play as TEAM hope he can get that in his head. We didn't lose nothing by losing Wallace maybe we can gain something with Hughes b/c J.smith and Gooden is a Wash bout the same player stat wise. I read that he made the comment that he EXPECTS TO START. Thats already started out bad.
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#30 » by Gordon Bombay » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:41 pm

larry doesnt do well coming off the bench for a long period of time, so that could potentially be a problem for you guys
babythug23
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#31 » by babythug23 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:47 pm

Gordon Bombay wrote:larry doesnt do well coming off the bench for a long period of time, so that could potentially be a problem for you guys
Well our coach is crazy with line ups so he might put him in there. Thabo is doing so good starting i think it would be sending him the wrong message by putting him on the bench. I guess we will see.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:00 pm

It's really not just Hughes who are not particularly good coming off the bench. It's Gooden as well. He's clearly better as a starter than he is coming off the bench (largely because of his delicate psyche).
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#33 » by Benedict_Boozer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:05 pm

Bulls are in for some chemistry problems if they are thinking of bringing Gooden and Hughes off the bench....neither has the mental makeup to handle it. Hughes in particular has a rather large ego...

Chicago should go with:

Hinrich
Hughes
Deng
Gooden
Noah?

Something like that. Actually not too bad a lineup on paper but chemistry would be a question mark IMO
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#34 » by Rise Against » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:19 pm

I think Tyrus Thomas would start over Noah.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Larry Hughes 

Post#35 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:58 pm

pdenninggolden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:

You didn't say that! :rofl:

I said "sounds like..." based on their comments - but OUTLAW qualified the statements. I dont know if the comparison is true until Hughes plays a few games for the Bulls.
- -- Chinese proverb
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Exile23 wrote:I think Tyrus Thomas would start over Noah.

Tyrus doesnt have the height to play Center like Noah

Tyrus will probably come off bench behind Gooden. Hughes will probably start at SG next to Hinrich (who is NOT a true PG)
- -- Chinese proverb
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#37 » by B Mac » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:04 pm

That would be the smartest lineup the Bulls could run. I second and third what my fellow Cavs fans have said. Gooden and Hughes off the bench is a bad idea.
El Scorcho
Senior
And1: 0

Post#38 » by El Scorcho » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:11 pm

He was at his best when slashing to the hoop and getting to the free throw line. Unfortunately he has lost a lot of athleticism due to all the injuries, and is now a poor finisher. Every once in a while he'll surprise you and get up high enough to dunk. So because of the injuries, weak finishing and the way the Cavs run their offense, he morphed into more of a jump shooter. He has been shooting a lot better lately but he's inconsistent. He's not a lock down defender but he's above average and will get some steals.

The Cavs are a half court team and Brown's defensive principles don't really call for playing the passing lanes which is Hughes big strength on D. I think he would be more effective on a team that plays pressure defense and high tempo offense.
eyejayem
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by eyejayem » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:37 pm

Larry was a better slasher than shooter when he got to the league. He always worked on his shot but thats not why he's currently bad. He has some of the worst shot selection. His defense is above average and I agree that with the bulls system and in the backcourt with Hinrich should be good and if he can teach Thabo how to optimize certain areas on D than he will be a good pickup. Ben Gordon seems to be the odd man out but I think doing the trade hurt the bulls as well as Gordon's value. But we'll take him in a sign and trade on the cheap being the good buddies we are.
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#40 » by jimmywolfrey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:36 pm

I watched him in Washington and he was a great great compliment to Gilbert Arenas. They used to be a great great tag team defensively in generating steals.

With Hinrich and Hughes I think they could develop that defensive chemistry to set up the steal. Arenas and Hughes used to setup people to get the steal usually right when the dribbler would turn then the other guy would come that way. It was a thing of beauty actually.
Kwame Brown is servicable, get over it.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers