ImageImageImage

Kyrie asked to be traded (UPDATED)

Moderator: ijspeelman

SLATER
Freshman
And1: 13

Re: Kyrie asked to be traded 

Post#321 » by SLATER » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm reading reports from Ainge saying IT's hip was a factor in this trade...

File this under a wild conspiracy theory but is there any chance the Cavs took this trade thinking that Isiah might fail his physical thus letting the Cavs veto the trade? It would cause MASSIVE dissension amongst the Celts players and totally undermine chemistry going into next year and would leave the Cavs in about the same position... not much worse for the wear on the false trade I don't think.

It's a total virtual chess move but I wonder if that was discussed in private amongst Cavs brass as a shrewd possibility if IT in fact does fail that physical.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#322 » by gflem » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 pm

SLATER wrote:I'm reading reports from Ainge saying IT's hip was a factor in this trade...

File this under a wild conspiracy theory but is there any chance the Cavs took this trade thinking that Isiah might fail his physical thus letting the Cavs veto the trade? It would cause MASSIVE dissension amongst the Celts players and totally undermine chemistry going into next year and would leave the Cavs in about the same position... not much worse for the wear on the false trade I don't think.

It's a total virtual chess move but I wonder if that was discussed in private amongst Cavs brass as a shrewd possibility if IT in fact does fail that physical.

That would be some next level ish. If he fails his physical I would hope there is some real sweetener like the Lakers pick or Tatum (not likely) added plus whatever salary is needed from the C's to make the deal work. Again, not likely at all but a guy can hope right?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#323 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:45 pm

gflem wrote:
SLATER wrote:I'm reading reports from Ainge saying IT's hip was a factor in this trade...

That would be some next level ish. If he fails his physical I would hope there is some real sweetener like the Lakers pick or Tatum (not likely) added plus whatever salary is needed from the C's to make the deal work. Again, not likely at all but a guy can hope right?

Altman has balls the size of cantaloupe if that were the plan. No way imo, is that even possible.
In fact , I don't believe the Cav's do this trade if they don't already know IT4 timeline is not far from healed.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#324 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Dupp wrote:For all the talk looks like we could have gotten brogdon and Middleton

better off with the trade we did complete. Brogdon would have been alright and has better size, but IT4 is better.
Middleton is also injury prone, and Bucks pick would not have been as good as Nets will be.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#325 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:10 pm

More likely the Cavs feel that IT will be fine in the short-term but are content with letting him walk if they can't retain him on a deal commensurate with his value to the team and the risk his hip may pose in the long-term.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,728

Post#326 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#327 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#328 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Re: Kyrie asked to be traded (UPDATED) 

Post#329 » by gflem » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I more or less assumed that IT was a one year thing here anyway, so if we can get the Lakers pick added and IT doesn't play then so be it. It would make it more likely imo that Lebron leaves but it seems to me that was going to happen anyway.
I would be shocked if we did get the Lakers pick to complete the deal, but it has been a crazy offseason so far so who knows. More likely to get a C's pick this year or next if anything.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#330 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#331 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Cavs should back out if IT4 has to have surgery and will miss the next 9 months , he is worth nothing too us if that is the case.
Unless Boston does not get anything they gave us thus far back & then gives us Tatum and Rozier or Brown and Rozier by agreeing to take on a salary dump contract.
If he is not requiring surgery but the timeline is missing half the season of something ,then if we can get the Lakers pick or one of Brown or Tatum, ok I would do it but I think the odds of that happening are slim if he doesn't miss the entire season or most of it.
Overall I think we have to at the least get an asset we can flip for a pg without giving up the Nets pick in either scenario.

I expect it is not entirely out of the question that IT4 could end up not ever playing on either roster next season,or ever , but which team Irving plays for is the real question here.
That leads me to my next scenario; I would be not the least bit surprised if Phoenix seeing how much Cavs got from Boston rethinks parting with Jackson depending on how bad they want KI. Probably not, but it could be we could get Bledsoe,Chriss and Phoenix' own 2018 pick unprotected. Instead of Bledsoe Bender and a protected Miami pick.
I also think a few other teams that had decent offers that were not as good as Bostons may be willing to up their anti to get KI.
I would not do the Bucks deal for Brogdon and Middleton & their pick (that won't be lottery) They would have to give us Maker instead of the pick or Parker and the pick at the least without having any picks that are lottery picks to give us.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#332 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#333 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

big surprise somebody in Boston trying to make it seem as if Boston can do no wrong.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#334 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:48 pm

That's my worry as a Boston fan. Don't know if there's any rule against it - Altman could also do it without consulting with anyone - he could flip Irving tomorrow for Bledsoe/Jackson and leave the Celtics completely fractured and our assets devalued.

But I think it's more likely this was the best trade, the BKN pick was the big prize, and Altman's just having buyer's remorse, cold feet, nerves because it's his first big trade.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#335 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Boston's also not likely to have withheld medical info. The condition of his hip was public knowledge.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#336 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:57 pm

I think there's probably a little resentment of Ainge around the league, and it's not often that teams trade players who are actively injured, not able to play. But there's also a risk of major reputational damage to the Cavs' front office.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,338

Post#337 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:58 pm

It would be a good way for Altman to make the rest of the league not want to deal with him in the future. Deals like this are made in good faith. Everyone knew IT's hip was questionable, that's why the Nets pick had to be thrown in in the first place. GMs talk to each other. If Altman really did do something like that Danny would be speed dialing the other 28 GMs and letting them know how he rolls.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#338 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:11 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#339 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:12 am

I'm sure we were transparent, we have a track record much longer than Altman's.

Thinking the renegotiation could be something that splits difference - add top 2 or top 3 protection to BKN pick, with CLE getting BOS 18, and an additional second-rounder if the pick doesn't convey.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#340 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 am

Honestly if Altman's caught out being sneaky, Boston can do him a big favor by throwing him a bone, like a second-rounder - but just as likely we do something that lets him save face while actually rescinding value. Like, BKN pick goes back, Cleveland gets BOS 18, BOS 20, LAC 1st.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers