ImageImageImage

Love Bought Out

Moderator: ijspeelman

toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,800

Re: Love Bought Out 

Post#41 » by toooskies » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:55 pm

Still, the high-percentage play if Mobley catches the ball outside the three-point arc today is not for him to catch and shoot. It's to catch, notice he's not guarded, run a DHO and screen Mitchell's or Garland's man and either get them room to shoot or force his man to come up. We need to at least have that alternative in the offense. If Mobley's wide open at the 3-point line he should be able to get someone else enough space to shoot at the 3-point line.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 890

Post#42 » by ijspeelman » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:06 pm

toooskies wrote:Still, the high-percentage play if Mobley catches the ball outside the three-point arc today is not for him to catch and shoot. It's to catch, notice he's not guarded, run a DHO and screen Mitchell's or Garland's man and either get them room to shoot or force his man to come up. We need to at least have that alternative in the offense. If Mobley's wide open at the 3-point line he should be able to get someone else enough space to shoot at the 3-point line.

Those plays would be gorgeous (we have not seen this happen), but you can always have both.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by toooskies » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:12 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
toooskies wrote:Still, the high-percentage play if Mobley catches the ball outside the three-point arc today is not for him to catch and shoot. It's to catch, notice he's not guarded, run a DHO and screen Mitchell's or Garland's man and either get them room to shoot or force his man to come up. We need to at least have that alternative in the offense. If Mobley's wide open at the 3-point line he should be able to get someone else enough space to shoot at the 3-point line.

Those plays would be gorgeous (we would have not seen this happen), but you can always have both.

Yeah, Evan should absolutely work on both, and maybe even shoot the open 3 when we have a comfortable lead. I just don't think he should take bad shots when we're behind in important games for the sake of development.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,508

Post#44 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 pm

I'm certainly not suggesting they shouldn't evolve other actions.

And while I don't think we're ready for playoff gamesmanship yet, if JBB disagrees, he would only be showing Philly our vanilla offense and defense in a regular season game.

Still... it took Andy Varejao something like 4 years and playing with Ben Wallace before he realized how he could take advantage of defensive indifference.

As much as we'd like to see everything in place so we can win it all tomorrow, there's a reason NBA champs traditionally have a lot of guys in their late 20's and 30's.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 890

Post#45 » by ijspeelman » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:22 am

toooskies wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Those plays would be gorgeous (we would have not seen this happen), but you can always have both.

Yeah, Evan should absolutely work on both, and maybe even shoot the open 3 when we have a comfortable lead. I just don't think he should take bad shots when we're behind in important games for the sake of development.

I put the fact that this hasn't happened less on Mobley and more on team strategy. They could do the same with Allen if he ever catches a would-be C&S.

JB would need to instill this in the offense and get Garland/Mitchell on page with Mobley/Allen. Its just not currently part of the offense.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,483

Post#46 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:13 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Shams reporting Heat and Woj reporting Suns, guess we'll see who is more plugged in.

I'd bet heavy on the Heat. It was reported that they got interested when he was pulled from the rotation. I suspect that they tried to dump Duncan on us for cheap in a trade, and when that didn't work, started working the buyout angle with Schwartz. Moore knew and reported that Love not only wanted a buyout, but was getting one, before Altman had even talked to him and the deadline, which could've put hair on any potential deal with another team.
Oh gosh, now Windy saying Lakers might kick the tires lol
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by toooskies » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:19 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Shams reporting Heat and Woj reporting Suns, guess we'll see who is more plugged in.

I'd bet heavy on the Heat. It was reported that they got interested when he was pulled from the rotation. I suspect that they tried to dump Duncan on us for cheap in a trade, and when that didn't work, started working the buyout angle with Schwartz. Moore knew and reported that Love not only wanted a buyout, but was getting one, before Altman had even talked to him and the deadline, which could've put hair on any potential deal with another team.

Given the buyout was being "finalized" two days ago and hasn't happened yet, I'd go so far as to say there's a chance we don't do it at all. Cavs can't let him stay in the East.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#48 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:35 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Given the buyout was being "finalized" two days ago and hasn't happened yet, I'd go so far as to say there's a chance we don't do it at all. Cavs can't let him stay in the East.
Yeah, I seen an article that said they should only grant it, if Love goes West but can the Cavs really have any say in where he lands?
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,916

Post#49 » by mcfly1204 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:02 pm

Never forget:

Well at least we're not Detroit!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,834

Post#50 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by toooskies » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:55 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Oh gosh, now Windy saying Lakers might kick the tires lol

Yeah, I seen an article that said they should only grant it, if Love goes West but can the Cavs really have any say in where he lands?

Officially no. Love can say whatever he wants before the release and then change his mind post-release. The only mitigating factor is that it could damage his post-career relationship with the team-- a long delay before retiring a jersey, etc.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:51 pm

Woj is reporting it's official. Hopefully we're already on the phone with Moses Brown.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#53 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:53 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Woj is reporting it's official. Hopefully we're already on the phone with Moses Brown.
I'd be cool with a Moses Brown reunion.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#54 » by JonFromVA » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:22 pm

Lot of players I've never heard of in the Gleague ...
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,129

Post#55 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:44 am

I want Isaiah Mobley to get some burn; kid can shoot and hustle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by jbk1234 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:47 am

KuruptedCav wrote:I want Isaiah Mobley to get some burn; kid can shoot and hustle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just asking for trouble. He's not currently good enough and when the Cavs have to send him back down it could cause issues with Evan.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by jbk1234 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:51 am

Am I the only one who has an issue with the Cavs announcing they're retiring Love's number on the day he's bought out?

I'm not sure I'd be good retiring numbers of guys who demand a buyout or trade before their contracts are up at all. It makes us look like a simp organization that's just happy with what they can get.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#58 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:21 am

jbk1234 wrote:Am I the only one who has an issue with the Cavs announcing they're retiring Love's number on the day he's bought out?

I'm not sure I'd be good retiring numbers of guys who demand a buyout or trade before their contracts are up at all. It makes us look like a simp organization that's just happy with what they can get.
Unfortunately that kinda has been Koby's mentality.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#59 » by JonFromVA » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Am I the only one who has an issue with the Cavs announcing they're retiring Love's number on the day he's bought out?

Jersey retirement was likely a package deal of his last contract, so bringing it up is signaling that we're parting on friendly terms.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by toooskies » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers