Moderator: ijspeelman

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Re: Cavs F.A. 2020 

Post#81 » by LivingLegend » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Well, the Canton Charge is gonna be stacked.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Soo....is this a actual rosterable player? Zach Lowe seemed to like the move and was 'puzzeled' why the Knicks didn't extend him.

I also know nothing about Dotson lol

Decent shooter from 3, good size for the wing. Seems like the kind of move we should be making at this point, low risk, medium reward.

Yeah from reading it seems like he's a decent 3+D SG
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,047

Post#82 » by tleikheen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 pm

from one bottom team to anoother bottom team, don't expect winning plays. This FA season shows the Cavs are in a bottom rut where no one likes their players.Clevelands best young player (Sexton) isn't even looked at as a starter on the good teams.Garland had a terrible rookie year and didn't show starter quality potential. KPJ showed lots of promise but has shown character flaws thats probably has him a strike away from being cut loose. He deserves a team penalty of no pay and team suspencion.
Getting better internally is totally reliant on 2 small guards that are already a couple of the worst defenders in the NBA. I don't see how they get better.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#83 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:00 pm

I'm super afraid our ballsy move next summer will be to max out Sexton. Unless he's shown massive progress and scores like 30 a game, I don't ever want to see that.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#84 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:04 pm

tleikheen wrote:from one bottom team to anoother bottom team, don't expect winning plays. This FA season shows the Cavs are in a bottom rut where no one likes their players.Clevelands best young player (Sexton) isn't even looked at as a starter on the good teams.Garland had a terrible rookie year and didn't show starter quality potential. KPJ showed lots of promise but has shown character flaws thats probably has him a strike away from being cut loose. He deserves a team penalty of no pay and team suspencion.
Getting better internally is totally reliant on 2 small guards that are already a couple of the worst defenders in the NBA. I don't see how they get better.

are you depressed chief? there is help for that smh. Patience my friend is the only way.
Your negative comments are dominating the board of late and tbh most fans are not going to be interested in engaging in any conversations with you at all.
The fact is the org is not targetting anyone of significance at this point in the rebuild and even though there is no guarantees you will ever get a good fa interested when you are a good team this team is not even set on its core yet to attract anyone who is ready to win now. KPJ might be out oif the NBA soon etc.
How players on the roster are looked at is subjective at best and really irrelevant to who seeks out a job in the wine and gold going forward.
I dont expect any players on this roster were doing any recruiting either when everyone is fighting to keep or earn a spot.

-totally reliant on 2 small guards complaint needs to be shelved for now imo.
They are two average height for a pg combo guards that shared the court during a tanking season period.
neither of which play defense but one who is significantly more athletic and longer and by the looks of it much stronger to compensate will help a lot this season.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#85 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:09 pm

dont get too excited about Dotson, he is a volume shooter I guess with good size on the wing and maybe has improved defensively but he has never been a good rebounded or defender and tbh not sure I understand the point in signing him other than training camp at all other than maybe they see a small replacement offensively after moving Zo if he has improved in those areas.
Matthews is a mystery imo had a decent draftable skill set pre injury but he was never more than a end of rotation prospect either.
I would have been happier to see K Thomas and Norvell Pelle but hey who knows what happens next
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#86 » by Revenged25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 pm

Stillwater wrote:dont get too excited about Dotson, he is a volume shooter I guess with good size on the wing and maybe has improved defensively but he has never been a good rebounded or defender and tbh not sure I understand the point in signing him other than training camp at all other than maybe they see a small replacement offensively after moving Zo if he has improved in those areas.
Matthews is a mystery imo had a decent draftable skill set pre injury but he was never more than a end of rotation prospect either.
I would have been happier to see K Thomas and Norvell Pelle but hey who knows what happens next

Maybe they think Dotson can improve on defense and be a spot up shooter on the 2nd unit when Sexton is the primary ball handler?
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#87 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Delly back, 1 year, vet minimum. Def a move we should make.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,762

Post#88 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Delly back, 1 year, vet minimum. Def a move we should make.
Yeah, this is an acceptable amount for good locker room presence, works hard, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm

tleikheen wrote:from one bottom team to anoother bottom team, don't expect winning plays. This FA season shows the Cavs are in a bottom rut where no one likes their players.Clevelands best young player (Sexton) isn't even looked at as a starter on the good teams.Garland had a terrible rookie year and didn't show starter quality potential. KPJ showed lots of promise but has shown character flaws thats probably has him a strike away from being cut loose. He deserves a team penalty of no pay and team suspencion.
Look, if you're not even a Cavs fan, this is close to trolling. Tread carefully.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I'm super afraid our ballsy move next summer will be to max out Sexton. Unless he's shown massive progress and scores like 30 a game, I don't ever want to see that.
There are no circumstances under which the Cavs should extend Sexton this year. He might not even be starting for us by the end of the season.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#91 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:dont get too excited about Dotson, he is a volume shooter I guess with good size on the wing and maybe has improved defensively but he has never been a good rebounded or defender and tbh not sure I understand the point in signing him other than training camp at all other than maybe they see a small replacement offensively after moving Zo if he has improved in those areas.

Maybe they think Dotson can improve on defense and be a spot up shooter on the 2nd unit when Sexton is the primary ball handler?

I guess, I mean right now he is a floor stretching option for the end of the rotation at best based on historical data anyway.
I also am wondering with him and Matthews being brought in if there is growing concern about KPJ's future with the team.
I mean if he is convicted of a felony even if he doesn't have to serve any part of sentence for it whenever it finally gets through the courts its always going to be looming and tbh a distraction for him until resolved.
I dont expect much growth from him this season as a result I hope I am wrong.
I dont buy that Sexton will be coming off the bench at all if they are over the tanking plan given he is the best young scorer on the team showed up to the Cavs bubble significantly stronger etc for defensive improvements but it may be the case if they decide to see what DG can do with Windler KPJ or Okoro at the 2 and one of the 3 mentioned at the 3. I dont think Dotson or Matthews crack the rotation even on the 2nd unit unless KPJ is in a suit or mia
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#92 » by LivingLegend » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:I'm super afraid our ballsy move next summer will be to max out Sexton. Unless he's shown massive progress and scores like 30 a game, I don't ever want to see that.
There are no circumstances under which the Cavs should extend Sexton this year. He might not even be starting for us by the end of the season.

what are the odds the Cavs do the right thing and make him a super 6th man and actually start Garland, KPJ, Okoro, Love and Drummond.

I am extremely excited with what KPJ/Okoro can grow to be on the wing in 2-3 years fom now. We could be looking at a Tatum/Brown like tandem out there
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#93 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:42 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

what are the odds the Cavs do the right thing and make him a super 6th man and actually start Garland, KPJ, Okoro, Love and Drummond.

I am extremely excited with what KPJ/Okoro can grow to be on the wing in 2-3 years fom now. We could be looking at a Tatum/Brown like tandem out there

I think Garland is going to have to be light years ahead of where he was all season last year to get that gig given how well Sexton was playing to end the season. Maybe its the most likely scenario for the org to see what they have but I dont think for a second anyone in the front office is sold on him being better than Sexton but they need to find out I guess one way or the other.
I am past being in denial when I thought maybe DG was just hurt all season or needed to get stronger, even if he had a nice bubble for him to get the job he better be a complete overhaul 180 to push Sexton to the bench
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#94 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:00 am

A first max contract is rarely a significant impediment to team-building. Players are young, still can develop, and it’s 25% of the cap. A second one to anyone outside of the top-15 of the NBA is generally a pretty bad move.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#95 » by LivingLegend » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:36 am

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:There are no circumstances under which the Cavs should extend Sexton this year. He might not even be starting for us by the end of the season.

I think Garland is going to have to be light years ahead of where he was all season last year to get that gig given how well Sexton was playing to end the season. Maybe its the most likely scenario for the org to see what they have but I dont think for a second anyone in the front office is sold on him being better than Sexton but they need to find out I guess one way or the other.
I am past being in denial when I thought maybe DG was just hurt all season or needed to get stronger, even if he had a nice bubble for him to get the job he better be a complete overhaul 180 to push Sexton to the bench

I dont think the Cavs should reduce Sextons mins, still have him play 30ish mins per night, just do the most of it with the second unit where he can flourish and not have to worry about getting Love/Drummond involved.

As overwelmed as Garland looked, he still had a much better feel for the game than Sexton did to go with the starters.

I just dont see any scenerio where Sexton/Garland can co-exist on the floor together, something has to give and I just think Garland is a better fit around the veteran starters and Sexton is a better fit with a unit where he can focus on his scoring
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#96 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 am

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I dont think the Cavs should reduce Sextons mins, still have him play 30ish mins per night, just do the most of it with the second unit where he can flourish and not have to worry about getting Love/Drummond involved.

As overwelmed as Garland looked, he still had a much better feel for the game than Sexton did to go with the starters.

I just dont see any scenerio where Sexton/Garland can co-exist on the floor together, something has to give and I just think Garland is a better fit around the veteran starters and Sexton is a better fit with a unit where he can focus on his scoring

fit wise Sexton looked better with whomever he was with than DG did last year regardless of if DG has a better feel for finding bailouts and wide open shooters because he cannot finish like Sexton had the gl to do consistently.
I think there is a misconception about just how good of a floor general DGs and imo he really is not that guy , but I get that he really only has a shot to make in the league becoming that guy etc.
I dont want to see Sexton pushed to the bench in the name of Garland feeding the bigs more because he has too , I want to see DG go off and prove he can score at the same clip as Sexton does from all 3 levels and until that happens I dont care how well DG can see the floor or distribute if he isnt a 3 level scoring threat I mean if he cant do that than he needs to be running the 2nd unit himself
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 am

KuruptedCav wrote:

A first max contract is rarely a significant impediment to team-building. Players are young, still can develop, and it’s 25% of the cap. A second one to anyone outside of the top-15 of the NBA is generally a pretty bad move.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
If the Cavs offer a max extension to a player in his third year, who most of the league views as a sixth man, Adam Silver should intervene like he did with Hinkie.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:54 am

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think Garland is going to have to be light years ahead of where he was all season last year to get that gig given how well Sexton was playing to end the season. Maybe its the most likely scenario for the org to see what they have but I dont think for a second anyone in the front office is sold on him being better than Sexton but they need to find out I guess one way or the other.

fit wise Sexton looked better with whomever he was with than DG did last year regardless of if DG has a better feel for finding bailouts and wide open shooters because he cannot finish like Sexton had the gl to do consistently.
I think there is a misconception about just how good of a floor general DGs and imo he really is not that guy , but I get that he really only has a shot to make in the league becoming that guy etc.
I dont want to see Sexton pushed to the bench in the name of Garland feeding the bigs more because he has too , I want to see DG go off and prove he can score at the same clip as Sexton does from all 3 levels and until that happens I dont care how well DG can see the floor or distribute if he isnt a 3 level scoring threat I mean if he cant do that than he needs to be running the 2nd unit himself
You're missing that part of the problem is Sexton taking 17 fga per game with only 3 assists. I'm quite sure that there are a number of players on the roster who can average 20 ppg on 17 shots if you give them long enough to do so. The question is whether the offense as a whole operates as efficiently as it needs to that way.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#99 » by LivingLegend » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:40 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

You're missing that part of the problem is Sexton taking 17 fga per game with only 3 assists. I'm quite sure that there are a number of players on the roster who can average 20 ppg on 17 shots if you give them long enough to do so. The question is whether the offense as a whole operates as efficiently as it needs to that way.

I agree, and what I really don't want to see is the Cavs force Sexton/Garland on the court together for the first 25 games until they realize it won't work. I hope they have the foresight to get out ahead of it and not waste games trying
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#100 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:07 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

sure but he is the one doing it so if the dime rate goes up or even just the feeds without finishes from his passed to teammates its his job to lose i mean garland has more to prove in other areas imo to justify staying in the sl.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers