ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas (Part III)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,589

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#201 » by Alatan » Fri Aug 4, 2017 9:14 pm

Stillwater wrote:Potential Denver trade :https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6931586
Denver gives Cleveland their 2019 1st rounder unprotected & Cav's can swap picks with Denver in 2018 if Denver's pick is 11-30, if Denver's 2018 falls in the top 10 Cavs get Denver's 2021 1st rounder lottery protected until 2023 ,where if not yet transferred becomes unprotected in 2024.
Denver gets Cavs 2019 2nd rounder from LA or Minnesota & the Cav's 2020 2nd round pick from Portland.
Cav's would then waive Calderon,Felder,Green or Tavares after the trade is completed.

It is a good trade in value but there are a few problems with it. Denver doesnt have a SF except Chandler so they would have to play someone out of position, they dont really need Frye since they have a ton of PFs and the biggest problem is that i fear KI would not fit in with the Denver offense that revolves around Jokic being the main guy and ball movement. He wants to leave CLE for the same reason and i doubt he would stay in Denver.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#202 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:32 pm

Alatan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Potential Denver trade :https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6931586
Denver gives Cleveland their 2019 1st rounder unprotected & Cav's can swap picks with Denver in 2018 if Denver's pick is 11-30, if Denver's 2018 falls in the top 10 Cavs get Denver's 2021 1st rounder lottery protected until 2023 ,where if not yet transferred becomes unprotected in 2024.
Denver gets Cavs 2019 2nd rounder from LA or Minnesota & the Cav's 2020 2nd round pick from Portland.
Cav's would then waive Calderon,Felder,Green or Tavares after the trade is completed.

It is a good trade in value but there are a few problems with it. Denver doesnt have a SF except Chandler so they would have to play someone out of position, they dont really need Frye since they have a ton of PFs and the biggest problem is that i fear KI would not fit in with the Denver offense that revolves around Jokic being the main guy and ball movement. He wants to leave CLE for the same reason and i doubt he would stay in Denver.

You could be right about the fit issue, but I don't think that would stop Denver from pulling the trigger & taking the chance on it working having KI,Milsap & Jokic as a seat filler for their next playoff run. Frye is a salary dump that Denver would agree to take in this one, nothing more. he also give you a 3rd big that can play stretch 5.If Chandler isn't available, I don't know how Denver could get Irving really without giving up too many assets.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#203 » by johnnyballgame » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:15 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Alatan wrote:

You could be right about the fit issue, but I don't think that would stop Denver from pulling the trigger & taking the chance on it working having KI,Milsap & Jokic as a seat filler for their next playoff run. Frye is a salary dump that Denver would agree to take in this one, nothing more. he also give you a 3rd big that can play stretch 5.If Chandler isn't available, I don't know how Denver could get Irving really without giving up too many assets.

The Denver GM wouldn't even think about this deal, he'd sign it faster than Trump would sign papers repealing Obamacare. Its a total pile of mediocrity. Wilson Chandler isn't even an improvement on our team. He's average and at best would be one more wing amongst our already average group of Smith, Shumpert, Korver, Jefferson, etc. He's over 30, already started to decline and is only signed for this year. After Gilbert mocked the Pacers little return for George, he'd immediately fire Altman and could start penning letter number two about LeBron leaving. Mudiay doesn't look like a 'blue chipper' and after two seasons his star is dimming quickly as both Harris and Murray on his own team have become far more highly regarded. For them to be getting Irving and not include one of those two would be an immediate conversation ender. They wouldn't all be playing there. Kyrie could post videos with Draymond Green on Instagram telling jokes about LeBron's mom and Delonte West and Gilbert would rightfully keep the team together if this was the best deal he could get for a big star like Kyrie Irving.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#204 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 6, 2017 2:38 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Alatan wrote:It is a good trade in value but there are a few problems with it. Denver doesnt have a SF except Chandler so they would have to play someone out of position, they dont really need Frye since they have a ton of PFs and the biggest problem is that i fear KI would not fit in with the Denver offense that revolves around Jokic being the main guy and ball movement. He wants to leave CLE for the same reason and i doubt he would stay in Denver.

The Denver GM wouldn't even think about this deal, he'd sign it faster than Trump would sign papers repealing Obamacare. Its a total pile of mediocrity. Wilson Chandler isn't even an improvement on our team. He's average and at best would be one more wing amongst our already average group of Smith, Shumpert, Korver, Jefferson, etc. He's over 30, already started to decline and is only signed for this year. After Gilbert mocked the Pacers little return for George, he'd immediately fire Altman and could start penning letter number two about LeBron leaving. Mudiay doesn't look like a 'blue chipper' and after two seasons his star is dimming quickly as both Harris and Murray on his own team have become far more highly regarded. For them to be getting Irving and not include one of those two would be an immediate conversation ender. They wouldn't all be playing there. Kyrie could post videos with Draymond Green on Instagram telling jokes about LeBron's mom and Delonte West and Gilbert would rightfully keep the team together if this was the best deal he could get for a big star like Kyrie Irving.

If you are right about Mudiay ,(I don't agree he cannot be an impact defensive pg) then I agree already being only a modest return ,that would kill it. This trade is based on Mudiay improving and based on the skillset of Lyles who could both be moved after the trade for a player the Cavs want along with another salary dump of Shumpert & the 37 yr old Jefferson,who Chandler would be an upgrade to. I would actually prefer to get back Faried over Chandler to play small ball center if we were keeping the vet in any Denver deal,or a combination of Barton & Arthur but Chandler is more likely someone Denver would move,since he wanted to be traded last year anyway. So I consider that a more likely scenario. A lot of the players that we want will not be made available, and if none of them are without their own issues I would be surprised.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#205 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:17 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6933076
This might be reasonable if the Cavs are willing to give KI to Boston; unlikely,but nice return.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,446

Post#206 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 9:40 pm

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6933076
This might be reasonable if the Cavs are willing to give KI to Boston; unlikely,but nice return.

I want nothing to do with any Kyrie to Boston trade that the Celtics should make. It would have to be an extreme overpay.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#207 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 8, 2017 11:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I want nothing to do with any Kyrie to Boston trade that the Celtics should make. It would have to be an extreme overpay.

Yeah I know it seems highly unlikely anyway given what Boston becomes getting Irving, not too mention they would probably not give up good draft picks , but if they would give 1 of the 2018 first from the Nets or the Lakers without protections I would think it might be the best return the Cavs are going to get. Either way just an idea, not an expectation.
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#208 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:01 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Yeah I know it seems highly unlikely anyway given what Boston becomes getting Irving, not too mention they would probably not give up good draft picks , but if they would give 1 of the 2018 first from the Nets or the Lakers without protections I would think it might be the best return the Cavs are going to get. Either way just an idea, not an expectation.

I wouldn't send Kyrie to Boston either, because there's potential LeBron leaves and Kyrie comes back several times for years to embarrass your team and make your entire fan base think you're the worst GM who ever lived. However, that's a pretty good haul for the Cavs.
Though, unless they have an undeniable little man crush, there's no logic and motivation for Milwaukee to trade Middleton and the reigning rookie of the year Brogdon. What are they getting? Thomas is under contract for one year. If he resigns it would be for max money. They'd also be eating Shumps contract while Middleton and Brogdon are on incredibly team friendly deals for at least two years each.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#209 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:54 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I wouldn't send Kyrie to Boston either, because there's potential LeBron leaves and Kyrie comes back several times for years to embarrass your team and make your entire fan base think you're the worst GM who ever lived. However, that's a pretty good haul for the Cavs.
Though, unless they have an undeniable little man crush, there's no logic and motivation for Milwaukee to trade Middleton and the reigning rookie of the year Brogdon. What are they getting? Thomas is under contract for one year. If he resigns it would be for max money. They'd also be eating Shumps contract while Middleton and Brogdon are on incredibly team friendly deals for at least two years each.

True about Bucks unlikely giving up those players, except there is another logic to consider as they have 2 injury prone starting level players in Middleton(3rd highest paid on the roster) and Parker and are more likely to want to keep Parker,and move Middleton before he is hurt again. The draw of IT there is that org in that city will not get FA of much value to come there even with Greek Freak, but they could easily pay I.T. and justify it with the amount of sales he would provide in jerseys alone. Not too mention that team has a lot of length to cover him on Defense and Shumpert although being overpaid as a Cav for what he does here, would earn his $ as a starter in Milwaukee just like he earned it when J.R. was out last year until Vaughn is ready to take over in a couple of seasons.
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#210 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

True about Bucks unlikely giving up those players, except there is another logic to consider as they have 2 injury prone starting level players in Middleton(3rd highest paid on the roster) and Parker and are more likely to want to keep Parker,and move Middleton before he is hurt again. The draw of IT there is that org in that city will not get FA of much value to come there even with Greek Freak, but they could easily pay I.T. and justify it with the amount of sales he would provide in jerseys alone. Not too mention that team has a lot of length to cover him on Defense and Shumpert although being overpaid as a Cav for what he does here, would earn his $ as a starter in Milwaukee just like he earned it when J.R. was out last year until Vaughn is ready to take over in a couple of seasons.

Just a question.. if they wanted Isaiah Thomas, couldn't they just keep Middleton and the reigning rookie of the year and offer Thomas a max deal when he is a free agent next off season. Then they can pair them all up together. He has to re-sign there one way or the other. He's far more likely to do so with those guys in the fold and a much better chance at winning. Milwaukee would also be much better off seeing if he will sign with them before giving up on their best players and contracts. The market for Thomas isn't going to be as big as say, Lebron, and its partially because he's not as big. Milwaukee will have a fighting chance if they're willing to pay the max to the mini.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#211 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:I wouldn't send Kyrie to Boston either, because there's potential LeBron leaves and Kyrie comes back several times for years to embarrass your team and make your entire fan base think you're the worst GM who ever lived. However, that's a pretty good haul for the Cavs.

Just a question.. if they wanted Isaiah Thomas, couldn't they just keep Middleton and the reigning rookie of the year and offer Thomas a max deal when he is a free agent next off season. Then they can pair them all up together. He has to re-sign there one way or the other. He's far more likely to do so with those guys in the fold and a much better chance at winning. Milwaukee would also be much better off seeing if he will sign with them before giving up on their best players and contracts. The market for Thomas isn't going to be as big as say, Lebron, and its partially because he's not as big. Milwaukee will have a fighting chance if they're willing to pay the max to the mini.

Sure makes sense keep Middleton on the books for 3 more years at 13+ mil a season not a bad deal for a productive player but you are banking on the hope he can stay on the floor, they can offer Parker a reasonable amt.if he rehabs and becomes a starter again given his injury history being even worse than Middleton or if he is less than productive, let him walk despite the hope that he would take them to the next level when healthy. have Monroe and Hawes fall off your books and have plenty of $ for FA that won't come there esp not IT, because IT will not leave Boston unless he is traded, or maybe he will if they get a better replacement pg in fa and force him out, but that is less likely considering Baynes is the only other Celtic who's contract expires next season.
Or you can trade for IT if you are Milwaukee , and he will will embrace the opportunity to play there after a stellar season this year and the Bucks will have the $ to pay him, not to mention the Celtics would absolutely consider moving IT for an upgrade at the same position on a 2yr possible 3 deal . As far as them keeping Brogdon, yeah he is on the cheap, but he is moved in this deal or the deal is dead anyway.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#212 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:07 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6934357
he wants to go to LAC give me this back and they got him.No draft picks involved.
we get better defensively

Then do this in a separate trade https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6934360
and we get Phoenix 2018 unprotected or top 3 max. we take back an injured player but one that can be helpful longterm
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,589

Post#213 » by Alatan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6934357
he wants to go to LAC give me this back and they got him.No draft picks involved.
we get better defensively

Then do this in a separate trade https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6934360
and we get Phoenix 2018 unprotected or top 3 max. we take back an injured player but one that can be helpful longterm

It is a balanced trade but i dont like it for the LAC because of fit. Kyrie said he wants to be more ball dominant and Griffin is very similar to LeBron offensively. Also the LAC would be dead last in defense and certainly out of the playoff race.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#214 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:55 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6935079
This seems like a fair deal focused on win now purposes despite not getting a blue chip young player,but if LAC gives up their 2020 first unprotected( they cannot give up any until then), I would consider it given the impact of DJ and Beverly along with the option use Thompson as the main small ball center. I also think Thornwell can have a similar impact as Brogdon in Milwaukee by contributing from day one. add bringing back Liggins who we could have really utilized in the playoffs would give us a lot better defense along with Beverley.
added; but apparently according to woj the Cavs are definitely not interested in any returns absent of a young blue chip player without commitment from LBJ that he at minimum "plans" to stay in Cleveland, but that is no surprise that he won't give them that now. If he were to give them that even just verbally would probably be enough for them to do a deal such as this one, But given LBJ history of never giving any org that control, I think we may end up seeing the end of the Lebron era after this season ,due to this scenario with KI. At least if the KI deal gets us a blue chip player that is not going to help us next season along with draft picks and no vets are acquired besides bad contracts or something, but If we manage to get one like Jackson or Smith Jr. or some non rook blue chipper that can help us immediately, then maybe the team is good enough going forward to keep LBJ positive about our ability to contend into the future. Not looking too good for contending next season when stories like this are leaked. I remain optimistic that this is over dramatized media garbage, and nothing we didn't already know,but cannot ignore the fact that these issues with KI and James and Gilbert and Altman must be resolved or terminated , contend now and beyond, or plan for beyond.We can't be left in a full rebuild like after LBJ left for Miami. So the concerns have to be real.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#215 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6935555
Cavs get Miami 2018 from Suns ( Cavs keep it if it falls between 8-14,Suns keep it 15-30,Miami keeps it 1-7)if not transferred Cavs get Suns 2021 1st from Miami unprotected.
Cav's also get NY's 2018 Lottery protected until 2019 where it becomes unprotected.
NY gets Cavs 2019 second round draft pick from Minnesota or L.A. Lakers (less favorable)& Suns 2018 2nd round pick from Toronto.
Suns get 2020 top 10 protected from NY,unprotected in 2021.
Cav's get what they want in a vet pg and a blue chip rook.+ picks. But loses their all star guard & draft and stash Gem.
NY gets better with KI and Bender pawns Noah but gives up KP and a 1st.
Phoenix gets better long term adding KP and Ntilikina & Osman for eating Noahs C & shipping JJ / Bender but retains their own 1st round picks & gets another to make up for the Miami pick they ship out.
Not that unrealistic from any teams perspective depending on the value held by each org on player movement.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,196

Post#216 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:02 am

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6935555
Cavs get Miami 2018 from Suns ( Cavs keep it if it falls between 8-14,Suns keep it 15-30,Miami keeps it 1-7)if not transferred Cavs get Suns 2021 1st from Miami unprotected.
Cav's also get NY's 2018 Lottery protected until 2019 where it becomes unprotected.
NY gets Cavs 2019 second round draft pick from Minnesota or L.A. Lakers (less favorable)& Suns 2018 2nd round pick from Toronto.
Suns get 2020 top 10 protected from NY,unprotected in 2021.
Cav's get what they want in a vet pg and a blue chip rook.+ picks. But loses their all star guard & draft and stash Gem.
NY gets better with KI and Bender pawns Noah but gives up KP and a 1st.
Phoenix gets better long term adding KP and Ntilikina & Osman for eating Noahs C & shipping JJ / Bender but retains their own 1st round picks & gets another to make up for the Miami pick they ship out.
Not that unrealistic from any teams perspective depending on the value held by each org on player movement.

Stillwater
RealGM

Post#217 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:04 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6937950
Charlotte gets Detroit's 2018 1st top 5 protected, becomes unprotected in 2019
Dallas gets Cavs 2021 1st lottery protected until 2022 then unprotected , and Detroit's 2019 second round draft pick from Portland, Orlando, Cleveland or Houston.
Detroit gets Charlotte's 2018 second round draft pick from Cleveland or Brooklyn (less favorable)
Cavs get Dallas' 2019 1st top 20 protected , becomes lottery protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#218 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Depending on the details of whatever multi year deal Dallas has on the table for Narlens Noel,assuming it must be reasonable, given Noel fired his agent and hired a new one now the he has hired RP , I would like to see the Cav's get Dallas to agree to sign and trade Noel with Noel more likely willing to play for that amount to join Lebron or slightly more along with Dennis Smith Jr. coming to the Cavs for KI. Esp being in the same agent , where Noel would be privy to the fact that Lebron isn't likely leaving the Cav's. But even if he is, Noel gets a prime situation to be in with Smith Jr. also going there and Love with the team for awhile.
Depending on the salary Noel would make, Cav's may be able to also unload either Shump or Frye. Maybe also get back a future.
It would all hinge on Thompson also having RP as an agent, and if Noel only wants to be a starter,if so no deal.
Having both Noel and Thompson who are both proven quick enough to defend 4 positions would be a huge upgrade on the depth chart in the front court.Dennis Smith Jr. should have been picked #2-5 not #9. imo. Will be nearly as dynamic as Irving going forward and probably a better defender with much better athleticism.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,446

Post#219 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Stillwater wrote:Depending on the details of whatever multi year deal Dallas has on the table for Narlens Noel,assuming it must be reasonable, given Noel fired his agent and hired a new one now the he has hired RP , I would like to see the Cav's get Dallas to agree to sign and trade Noel with Noel more likely willing to play for that amount to join Lebron or slightly more along with Dennis Smith Jr. coming to the Cavs for KI. Esp being in the same agent , where Noel would be privy to the fact that Lebron isn't likely leaving the Cav's. But even if he is, Noel gets a prime situation to be in with Smith Jr. also going there and Love with the team for awhile.
Depending on the salary Noel would make, Cav's may be able to also unload either Shump or Frye. Maybe also get back a future.
It would all hinge on Thompson also having RP as an agent, and if Noel only wants to be a starter,if so no deal.
Having both Noel and Thompson who are both proven quick enough to defend 4 positions would be a huge upgrade on the depth chart in the front court.Dennis Smith Jr. should have been picked #2-5 not #9. imo. Will be nearly as dynamic as Irving going forward and probably a better defender with much better athleticism.

I'm not sure what the precise rules are on receiving a S&T player when you're this far into the luxury tax. It would probably have to be two separate trades where the Cavs traded both Shump & Frye first for cap space, and then got Noel back. But as I high as I am on Noel, I would be far less enthusiastic about taking him back on a max deal.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#220 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Depending on the details of whatever multi year deal Dallas has on the table for Narlens Noel,assuming it must be reasonable, given Noel fired his agent and hired a new one now the he has hired RP , I would like to see the Cav's get Dallas to agree to sign and trade Noel with Noel more likely willing to play for that amount to join Lebron or slightly more along with Dennis Smith Jr. coming to the Cavs for KI. Esp being in the same agent , where Noel would be privy to the fact that Lebron isn't likely leaving the Cav's. But even if he is, Noel gets a prime situation to be in with Smith Jr. also going there and Love with the team for awhile.

I'm not sure what the precise rules are on receiving a S&T player when you're this far into the luxury tax. It would probably have to be two separate trades where the Cavs traded both Shump & Frye first for cap space, and then got Noel back. But as I high as I am on Noel, I would be far less enthusiastic about taking him back on a max deal.

Yeah, my assumption is his offer from Dallas is not a max,and I agree he is not worth that,as it's the market not his former agent imo that failed to get him one. It's a long shot for sure, but adding Noel and a bright young high ceiling dynamic guard like Dennis Smith Jr. would be a fair deal if not above fair.That being said I am not so sure Dallas would do it anyway, just a feeling that Mavs could consider it for Irving as I think he would be a very good fit there with Barnes getting ready to enter his prime as well.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers