ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas (Part III)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#1121 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Until Love officially tells Cavs management he would like to be moved to a contender if/when an opportunity arises, it won't happen. If Portland calls asking for Love, the immediate ask by the Cavs will have to be McCollum, nothing else on Portland is worth trading for, even the future 1sts aren't worth it. The cap space doesn't help Cleveland next year unless they just plan on taking bad salary for draft picks since I don't think that there is going to be any FAs jumping at the chance to sign with the young Cavaliers team. And as mentioned above, we would have a massive hole at PF with Love's absence.

Also any Love to Portland trade would likely happen midway through the season so some of those trade restrictions mentioned could be lifted. So if middle of the season the Cavs are still trying to find their groove and Love is healthy, then ship Love to Portland for a package, might even be a bigger trade since the Cavs have several expiring contracts that will likely be attractive to contending teams.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,965

Post#1122 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:47 pm

If this true, and I'm somewhat skeptical, then Love shouldn't have signed that extension. It hasn't even been a year.

The incentive structure is so out of whack in the current NBA. We assume the risk of injury for four years, give him a contract at peak market (if not above it), pay him $25M to play 22 games, and then he wants us to accept a crappy return from Portland?

Hard pass. Get on the court, increase your trade value, and then we'll trade you to whoever offers the best deal midseason. Otherwise, both parties can agree to void the contract and he can become a F.A.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1123 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Portland really doesn't have the players that would be desired by CLE at this point and would be disappointing if they made a trade with them without a 3rd team involved
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#1124 » by substancej » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:00 am

Stillwater wrote:Portland really doesn't have the players that would be desired by CLE at this point and would be disappointing if they made a trade with them without a 3rd team involved

Nassir Little could be intriguing enough though
Kevin Love finna get traded
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1125 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:50 am

substancej wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Portland really doesn't have the players that would be desired by CLE at this point and would be disappointing if they made a trade with them without a 3rd team involved

not for klove though. id move Smith for Leonards bad contract that expires next summer and Nas but only if Altman knows he can move Henson TT or both at the dl or sooner to stay out of the tax.
Portland doesnt have the means to get Love unless they part with JNurkic/Nas and find a 3rd team to take Thompson or Henson.Nurkic deal is bad too though if he has problems after the compound fractures.
i just cant see Love to anywhere hapening and cavs winning the deal barring some desperation play by OKC or Houston.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1126 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Stillwater wrote:
substancej wrote:

not for klove though. id move Smith for Leonards bad contract that expires next summer and Nas but only if Altman knows he can move Henson TT or both at the dl or sooner to stay out of the tax.
Portland doesnt have the means to get Love unless they part with JNurkic/Nas and find a 3rd team to take Thompson or Henson.Nurkic deal is bad too though if he has problems after the compound fractures.
i just cant see Love to anywhere hapening and cavs winning the deal barring some desperation play by OKC or Houston.

This guy wants to give Love away for a bag of chips.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
MorleyGrape1
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#1127 » by MorleyGrape1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:36 pm

I'll bet Indiana would love to get their hands on Sexton,,Goga and Holliday wouldn't be enough I don't think.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1128 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:58 pm

I could see both teams considering this move or similar as it is known HW wants out of Miami : https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7217839
Cavs also get the rights to Miami's early 2nd round pick in 2019 ; KZ Okpala.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1129 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Stillwater wrote:I could see both teams considering this move or similar as it is known HW wants out of Miami : https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7217839

I can all but guarantee the Cavs won't do that deal for that type of return. It would've been done on draft day.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1130 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I could see both teams considering this move or similar as it is known HW wants out of Miami : https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7217839

I can all but guarantee the Cavs won't do that deal for that type of return. It would've been done on draft day.

one would think, but who's to say it was on the table I mean Miami was peddling JJ and I'm pretty sure HW hadn't opted in yet.

Either way it's not likely but still not out of the question as an option. Butler to Miami would require a s/t without Miami creating more room and the Cavs could possibly get involved in that as well.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1131 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:08 pm

SO with HW on his way to Portland, unless the Cavs get involved and agree to take Harkless for Smith to get a draft asset be it a future ,Herro,Okpala etc then Miami option is gone unless they actually would take back JJ or route Goran somewhere but that ship has probably sailed.
substancej
Junior

Post#1132 » by substancej » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:SO with HW on his way to Portland, unless the Cavs get involved and agree to take Harkless for Smith to get a draft asset be it a future ,Herro,Okpala etc then Miami option is gone unless they actually would take back JJ or route Goran somewhere but that ship has probably sailed.

With Miami desperate to unload Dragic, I think Altman needs to find another team to do the JR trade with.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1133 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:55 pm

Stillwater wrote:SO with HW on his way to Portland, unless the Cavs get involved and agree to take Harkless for Smith to get a draft asset be it a future ,Herro,Okpala etc then Miami option is gone unless they actually would take back JJ or route Goran somewhere but that ship has probably sailed.
Herro sucks. The Iggy trade was the one the Cavs should've gotten in on.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1134 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:02 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I agree if you mean Herro isn't a good fit on the roster, but neither was Garland. I think Herro is overvalued going 13th but will be a solid nba starter . Okpala was a steal at 32.
regardless no chance Cavs go with a Miami deal imo at this point with LAC playing the 4th team role the Cavs could have been involved in with the Butler trade.
I like the odds they do get somebody/draft assets for Smith. Don't see the point in extending if that wasn't their intention.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1135 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:17 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I agree if you mean Herro isn't a good fit on the roster, but neither was Garland. I think Herro is overvalued going 13th but will be a solid nba starter . Okpala was a steal at 32.
regardless no chance Cavs go with a Miami deal imo at this point with LAC playing the 4th team role the Cavs could have been involved in with the Butler trade.
I like the odds they do get somebody/draft assets for Smith. Don't see the point in extending if that wasn't their intention.
I suspect we had a deal ready with the Wolves if Russel was willing to go there. But I'd rather cut JR if the draft compensation is too watered down. The Knick and Kings have already used their cap space and there's very little available cap space. You don't want to trade into the tax and have it cost even more to get back out.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#1136 » by Trailbreaker » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:25 pm

What would be a good scenario for Westbrook to come here? I think it would be interesting to see UCLA alumni play together again.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#1137 » by Revenged25 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:47 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:What would be a good scenario for Westbrook to come here? I think it would be interesting to see UCLA alumni play together again.

Probably none. The assets we'd have to give up to get Westbrook wouldn't justify it. I'm guessing something like:

Cleveland Trades:
Garland/Sexton (depending which they prefer)
JR
Clarkson
+picks

OKC Trades:
Russ

That's just to get OKC to answer the phone, not sure what it would actually take.
substancej
Junior

Post#1138 » by substancej » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:02 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:What would be a good scenario for Westbrook to come here? I think it would be interesting to see UCLA alumni play together again.

I don't think we could get Westbrook without giving up Love.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1139 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:11 am

It involves a time machine.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1140 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:14 am

Revenged25 wrote:

Probably none. The assets we'd have to give up to get Westbrook wouldn't justify it. I'm guessing something like:

Cleveland Trades:
Garland/Sexton (depending which they prefer)
JR
Clarkson
+picks

OKC Trades:
Russ

That's just to get OKC to answer the phone, not sure what it would actually take.
Look at Westbrook's age and then look at his contract. Now compare it to Love's. The Cavs have no business even being associated with Westbrook trade talks.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers