RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#1501 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Everyone disagrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

You shouldn't use such all encompassing language as I don't agree that Garland passes the eye test as a PG either.
At 21 years old he's averaging 5.4 apg on team that's dead last in 3 point attempts and conversions. Notwithstanding that, 5.4 apg puts him in the top half the league via position. He's also averaging 16 ppg on really efficient shooting. I guess I don't know what the eye test means.

His dimes usually are not real...they are lobs and padded meaningless stats most of the time. I have seen Sexton generate more potential dimes to teammates in rhythm over the past 3 seasons but unfortunately Cedi and others are rarely converting off those passes. DG has had some similar potential dimes but never draws the defense like Sexton does.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1502 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 am

Still think they should make an offer for Poku currently playing against the charge .he is really skinny but as a cutter and playmaker there are few other rookies with as much baseline basketball IQ to build on. He should not be a center just because he is 7' but most seem to think he is only in the league if he is a center which is laughable. He is a playmaking forward whos shots are starting to fall again
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,155

Post#1503 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:36 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
You shouldn't use such all encompassing language as I don't agree that Garland passes the eye test as a PG either.
At 21 years old he's averaging 5.4 apg on team that's dead last in 3 point attempts and conversions. Notwithstanding that, 5.4 apg puts him in the top half the league via position. He's also averaging 16 ppg on really efficient shooting. I guess I don't know what the eye test means.

His dimes usually are not real...they are lobs and padded meaningless stats most of the time. I have seen Sexton generate more potential dimes to teammates in rhythm over the past 3 seasons but unfortunately Cedi and others are rarely converting off those passes. DG has had some similar potential dimes but never draws the defense like Sexton does.

It's difficult to take stuff like this seriously.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1504 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:At 21 years old he's averaging 5.4 apg on team that's dead last in 3 point attempts and conversions. Notwithstanding that, 5.4 apg puts him in the top half the league via position. He's also averaging 16 ppg on really efficient shooting. I guess I don't know what the eye test means.

If they hadnt draft dg by now Sexton would easily be putting up the same numbers or better in the same role and stubborn opinionaters would say Sexton still wasnt a pg .
Its become fairly obvious this org has hitched their wagon to dg becoming an efficient playmaker and think that's good enough , and despite obviously wanting Sexton to have less tunnel vision despite not being the pg most of the time in the offense they are running where the only reason to pass more is for the higher % shot which would be smart if and only if he had teammates that actually made those shots at a higher % than him forcing it.
He clearly gets criticism for looking selfish but he has proven he can get 20 a game in his sleep so if they let him have the keys to be the first option when he actually should be since allen and Okoro are not 3 point shooters and nobody else so far is reliable there , even if that means 6th man is best because they are stuck developing hus teammates im ok with that. What im nit ok with is people claiming he isnt good enough to run a team which if true only means dg isnt either
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#1505 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:01 pm

Sources: Cleveland Cavaliers won't play Andre Drummond, will try to trade star center before deadline

Per ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30905655/sources-cleveland-cavaliers-play-andre-drummond-try-trade-star-center-deadline
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1506 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:His dimes usually are not real...they are lobs and padded meaningless stats most of the time. I have seen Sexton generate more potential dimes to teammates in rhythm over the past 3 seasons but unfortunately Cedi and others are rarely converting off those passes. DG has had some similar potential dimes but never draws the defense like Sexton does.

If they hadnt draft dg by now Sexton would easily be putting up the same numbers or better in the same role and stubborn opinionaters would say Sexton still wasnt a pg .
Its become fairly obvious this org has hitched their wagon to dg becoming an efficient playmaker and think that's good enough , and despite obviously wanting Sexton to have less tunnel vision despite not being the pg most of the time in the offense they are running where the only reason to pass more is for the higher % shot which would be smart if and only if he had teammates that actually made those shots at a higher % than him forcing it.
He clearly gets criticism for looking selfish but he has proven he can get 20 a game in his sleep so if they let him have the keys to be the first option when he actually should be since allen and Okoro are not 3 point shooters and nobody else so far is reliable there , even if that means 6th man is best because they are stuck developing hus teammates im ok with that. What im nit ok with is people claiming he isnt good enough to run a team which if true only means dg isnt either

Sexton's flaws are always the fault of others and if only the Cavs had done X he'd be a more well rounded player by now. Got it.

Or, as was the case with TT, sometimes guys just are who they are. TT didn't grow into that contract like some predicted. His limitations remained his limitations.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1507 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Sexton's flaws are always the fault of others and if only the Cavs had done X he'd be a more well rounded player by now. Got it.

Or, as was the case with TT, sometimes guys just are who they are. TT didn't grow into that contract like some predicted. His limitations remained his limitations.

Sexton of course has flaws just like every young player but his circumstances haven't been ideal to quiet his detractors. His limitations are clearly not many whereas its obvious dg is a very limited athlete so its much easier to dismiss him becoming better for this org than Sexton. As usual you think im irrational but I see the opposite
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1508 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Cavs now announcing they are trading dre...
Weird timing right after his wearing a hoodie saying farewell on it instead of just trading him. I swear this org has moles everywhere
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1509 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:39 pm

Anyway back to trade talk in the trade thread
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#1510 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:55 pm

I guess my hopes that we would just leave him somewhere at a rest stop during this west coast swing were met.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1511 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:00 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I guess my hopes that we would just leave him somewhere at a rest stop during this west coast swing were met.

Yeah they weren't any better without him last night though what bothers me is the way these things leak makes the org look stupid even if they got it under control.
Wth with dres farewell hoodie before this report? Makes me think thew hoodie is the only source that made any reporter start digging and most already knew Toronto was interested.
I think they told dre he was coming off the bench and his response was f you this is a contract year trade me
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#1512 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:12 pm

There's way too many leaks, agreed. I'm also not convinced that Altman is a long term answer at GM. I now think we're clearly playing for a draft pick, even though we're trying. Will be glad to see Stevens get consistent minutes for awhile.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#1513 » by Revenged25 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:His dimes usually are not real...they are lobs and padded meaningless stats most of the time. I have seen Sexton generate more potential dimes to teammates in rhythm over the past 3 seasons but unfortunately Cedi and others are rarely converting off those passes. DG has had some similar potential dimes but never draws the defense like Sexton does.

With the roster make-up and the possibly high lotto pick we'll have this upcoming draft with how the team has played of late, I don't see the problem with Sexton being a 6th man as long as he still gets 30-32 minutes a game. Run a starting line-up of something like Garland/Okoro/Kuminga*/Love/Allen with Sexton coming off the bench and providing a huge burst of energy and scoring.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1514 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:There's way too many leaks, agreed. I'm also not convinced that Altman is a long term answer at GM. I now think we're clearly playing for a draft pick, even though we're trying. Will be glad to see Stevens get consistent minutes for awhile.

I mean the decision was made to move Drummond to the bench (FWIW I'm not convinced that the decision wasn't mutual as he was a focal point of the offense earlier in the season). There needed to be an explanation for that. These aren't necessarily leaks. The Woj story contained the following quote and a line about there being no discussions of a buyout:

When reached on Monday morning, Schwartz wouldn't confirm or deny the decision, but told ESPN: "Whichever direction this goes, Andre is 27, in his prime, and I believe strongly that he has a great deal to add to a team building toward a postseason run."

This is get your offers in because he's not taking a buy out and he's going on the trade block. Now, whether other teams really believe that Drummond won't take a buyout or not, I guess we'll see.

Re: Stevens, if he plays good defense and within his game offensively, he's got a shot at sticking. But dude takes a lot of off-balance and forced shots and that ain't his game.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1515 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:There's way too many leaks, agreed. I'm also not convinced that Altman is a long term answer at GM. I now think we're clearly playing for a draft pick, even though we're trying. Will be glad to see Stevens get consistent minutes for awhile.

I mean the decision was made to move Drummond to the bench (FWIW I'm not convinced that the decision wasn't mutual as he was a focal point of the offense earlier in the season). There needed to be an explanation for that. These aren't necessarily leaks. The Woj story contained the following quote and a line about there being no discussions of a buyout:

When reached on Monday morning, Schwartz wouldn't confirm or deny the decision, but told ESPN: "Whichever direction this goes, Andre is 27, in his prime, and I believe strongly that he has a great deal to add to a team building toward a postseason run."

This is get your offers in because he's not taking a buy out and he's going on the trade block. Now, whether other teams really believe that Drummond won't take a buyout or not, I guess we'll see.

Re: Stevens, if he plays good defense and within his game offensively, he's got a shot at sticking. But dude takes a lot of off-balance and forced shots and that ain't his game.

lol now see I saw him doing that and thought to myself if he gets those to fall he will stick in this league smh
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1516 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:36 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

With the roster make-up and the possibly high lotto pick we'll have this upcoming draft with how the team has played of late, I don't see the problem with Sexton being a 6th man as long as he still gets 30-32 minutes a game. Run a starting line-up of something like Garland/Okoro/Kuminga*/Love/Allen with Sexton coming off the bench and providing a huge burst of energy and scoring.

Yeah Kuminga is an interesting prospect apparently very explosive and has a decent bbiq for his age etc. not a great shooter but scores it.
I think given the struggles this roster is having there is no telling how much different they will look. I wouldnt be surprised if they traded Sexton together with Dre given their fixation on starting DG right now is fringe lunacy, so it will be interesting to see what they do but I am sure I wont be happy if it follows the pattern of dumping 5 star players with a couple off court issues for a top 55 protected lol
I think I want them to target Jalen Suggs to complete the guard rotation if they stick with the current core starting or off the bench, but if they dont who knows. :nod:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#1517 » by Revenged25 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:54 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:If they hadnt draft dg by now Sexton would easily be putting up the same numbers or better in the same role and stubborn opinionaters would say Sexton still wasnt a pg .

Yeah Kuminga is an interesting prospect apparently very explosive and has a decent bbiq for his age etc. not a great shooter but scores it.
I think given the struggles this roster is having there is no telling how much different they will look. I wouldnt be surprised if they traded Sexton together with Dre given their fixation on starting DG right now is fringe lunacy, so it will be interesting to see what they do but I am sure I wont be happy if it follows the pattern of dumping 5 star players with a couple off court issues for a top 55 protected lol
I think I want them to target Jalen Suggs to complete the guard rotation if they stick with the current core starting or off the bench, but if they dont who knows. :nod:

If trading Sexton doesn't bring back someone like Collins, Pascal, or Lauri at a minimum then the trade is trash.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1518 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

If trading Sexton doesn't bring back someone like Collins, Pascal, or Lauri at a minimum then the trade is trash.

If they did entertain trading him then they are complete fools. Who knows maybe I am wrong and they will get it right and instead trade DG for Lonzo or better keep DG and find a way to trade for Lonzo using Cedi or something
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#1519 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:34 pm

I'd at least strongly consider Sexton and Dre for Siakam, not that the Raps would probably consider offering it. Siakam was playing like trash for most of the season but his efficiency is on the rise on the last 10 games or so.

I wouldn't want Lauri or Collins at this point cause dealing with restricted free agents sucks.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#1520 » by gflem » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:08 pm

I agree on all three points. I said before the season that this is the bottom out season, due to roster turnover and forcing minutes on 19-21 year olds. Playing for a pick hasn't worked out so well with the new lottery rules the last two seasons, but who knows?
Altman to me at least, is a competent guy learning the ropes on how to be a good GM in the league. A+ on the trade that brought Allen and Prince. D on the whole KPJ situation. Not sure on his drafts, or even if they really were "his" drafts at all, so I can't really give a grade to Altman on that front.
On Stevens, I thought in the preseason games and early on he looked really raw, but his talent/ability shows and he looks to be a really hard worker. Lately he has impressed me more, and he has good size to be a 2or 3 as well.
For me, trading Dre was a given after getting Allen, and I also would like to see Prince starting at the 3 once either Love or Nance comes back. I wouldn't be upset if the team moved Cedi in a Drummond deal to bring back a greater return, moving Prince to the sl and giving Windler and Stevens more minutes as well.
I think the team should definitely try to re-sign Prince either now or after the season, as long as he isn't looking to match his current contract or get more. His opportunity here on a shorter term deal (2-3 yrs) to play after being an after thought in Brooklyn should be enough incentive for him to re-up hopefully.
Edit: Ignore the re-sign this season part about Prince, just realized he is signed through next season. I though he was RFA as well. :oops:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers